Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Assassins Creed Origins looked amazing and still does. Going by some of the previews I have seen of this it doesn't look half as good. Ghost of Tsushima raised the bar for this type of game, so I will be interested to read some reviews on this.

2 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Assassins Creed Origins looked amazing and still does. Going by some of the previews I have seen of this it doesn't look half as good. Ghost of Tsushima raised the bar for this type of game, so I will be interested to read some reviews on this.

I'm hoping this will look & play better on the new generation of consoles but I'm not gettting it on release. I'm sure it will need patches & I have enough already to enjoy. Ubisoft seem to be perfecting their Open World RPG formula with Origins & Odyssey.

I hadn't been following this at all, but watched a little random recent gameplay segment on Youtube last night and yeah, it looks a little rough. There was a moment when the player character got knocked off a wall and just instantly planked like it was still a placeholder animation. I think pulling these massive projects together during Covid lockdown is going to leave big budget productions a little on the ropey side for a while unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Sumire said:

You lot need to try playing Odyssey properly.

I really enjoyed the 56 hours I put into Odyssey and the similar amount into Origins. I think I prefered the setting in Odyssey more even though there was far, far too much of it.

Valhalla didn't interest me until I watched the deep dive video and saw how nice the areas of England looked. Now I'm really looking forward to it. I never really clicked the the OG style of Ass Creed games. The change for Origins was the thing that changed it enough to be a series I enjoy now.

Not sure if I want it on PC or for something to play on my Series X.

7 minutes ago, footle said:

You lot need to try playing Odyssey properly.

I've played both, and finished Odyssey twice, it's a genuinely great game. But the devs could learn a fair bit from Ghost of Tsushima.  Less being more, for one. :)

I'm still not sold on it. I Platinum'd Origins and Odyssey including the DLC but I'm not sure I can bring myself to trek over another enormous landscape to reveal the same quest markers again especially as they seem to have leaned into the combat even more which is the most disappointing addition to an AC game since they shoehorned tower defence into Brotherhood.  

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

This is going to be shit isn’t it?*

*I hope not - it would be nice to play an actual new game on the series x.

I'm sure it'll be fine, it'll have all of the flaws the previous two games have in being too long, too many samey mission objectives and pointless cosmetic microtransations for everyone to argue about but it will be a solid game especially if you haven't played the previous two. I love AC but I'm going to hold out on this one for a while, the Ezio Collection has been sat on my PS4 for a while and I'm going to revisit his adventures instead before finally playing AC Syndicate for the first time.

Seems to be reviewing very well.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/assassins-creed-valhalla-review/

Assassin's Creed's transformation into a full-blown RPG hasn't been the cleanest one, especially as features like stealth feel left to stagnate while other aspects get so much better. But Valhalla succeeds on so many levels that it's easy to forgive the times when it doesn't. It's an enormous game, and it'll probably take me another 20 hours to finish everything I still haven't completed. I honestly can't wait.

I've been playing it for the last week for review, and while it's a bit of a mess tonally and performance wise (on PS4), the world is really worth exploring, and the characters and story are great fun. Combat is a little weak after Ghost of Tsushima, but there's so much more interesting stuff to find and do in Valhalla.