Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Euro '96 - Football's coming home?

Recommended Posts

160px-UEFA_Euro_1996_logo.svg.png

 

With Euro 2020 postponed for twelve months, the ITV Hub has raided its archives to provide football fans with a slice of sports nostalgia as the platform unearths every match from Euro 96.

Airing from May, ITV Hub takes a trip down sporting memory lane and will air all 31 games from one of the most closely contested tournaments in recent history.

In addition, ITV4 will also play out the games that featured the England football team in some of their most memorable head to heads.

11204328?type=responsive-gallery-fullscr

 

Full schedule:

Monday 11th May

England v Switzerland - 6:15pm - ITV Hub & ITV4

Tuesday 12th May

Spain v Bulgaria - Midday - ITV Hub

Germany v Czech Republic - 3pm - ITV Hub

Denmark v Portugal - 7pm - ITV Hub

Wednesday 13th May

Scotland v Netherlands - 3pm - ITV Hub

France v Romania - 7pm - ITV Hub

Thursday 14th May

Italy v Russia - 3pm - ITV Hub

Croatia v Turkey - 7pm - ITV Hub

Friday 15th May

Bulgaria v Romania - 3pm - ITV Hub

Switzerland v Netherlands - 7pm - ITV Hub

Saturday 16th May

Portugal v Turkey - 3pm - ITV Hub

Czech Republic v Italy - 7pm - ITV Hub

Sunday 17th May

France v Spain - 3pm - ITV Hub

Scotland v England - 6:45pm - ITV4 & ITV Hub

Monday 18th May

Russia v Germany - 3pm - ITV Hub

Croatia v Denmark - 7pm - ITV Hub

Tuesday 19th May

France v Bulgaria - 7pm - ITV Hub

Romania v Spain - 7pm - ITV Hub

Wednesday 20th May

Scotland v Switzerland - 7pm - ITV Hub

Netherlands v England - 6:55pm - ITV4 & ITV Hub

Thursday 21st May

Croatia v Portugal - 7pm - ITV Hub

Turkey v Denmark - 7pm - ITV Hub

Friday 22nd May

Russia v Czech Republic - 7pm - ITV Hub

Italy v Germany - 7pm - ITV Hub

Saturday 23rd May

Quarter-Final 1 - 7pm - ITV4 & ITV Hub

Sunday 24th May

Quarter-Final 2 - 3pm - ITV Hub

Monday 25th May

Quarter-Final 3 - 3pm - ITV Hub

Tuesday 26th May

Quarter-Final 4 - 7pm - ITV Hub

Wednesday 27th May

Semi-Final 1 - 7pm - ITV Hub

Thursday 28th May

Semi-Final 2 - 7pm - ITV4 & ITV Hub

Friday 29th May

Final - 7pm - ITV4 & ITV Hub

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice idea, good for having on in the background whilst working (for the early kick-offs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the way that Frank Skinner looks roughly the same there while David Baddiel looks like he has to go to school after the photoshoot is done.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they’ll still have the Scottish fans chanting and waving the “we hate Jimmy Hill, he’s a poof” flags? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah the rollercoaster. The Scotland match, the chip over CH's head. That Sheringham dink pass to Shearer in the 4-1. Gascoigne sliding in against Germany. SO UNLUCKY.

 

Easily the best, most enjoyable... most heartbreaking of all tournaments IMO. I will watch as much of it as I can. Such a great idea to put this on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All kicks off tomorrow with:


England v Switzerland - 6:15pm - ITV Hub & ITV4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nick R said:

I still think this is the best England goal I've ever seen followed by the best celebration. It's a shame what's happened to Gazza. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a low bar, but this is without doubt the greatest thing ITV has ever done.

 

All the games that have been played up to this point in the tournament are available on the hub and I've been watching a few over the weekend. Scotland v Netherlands (Netherlands were absolutely ROBBED here!), Switzerland v Netherlands, Czech Republic v Italy and then the Scotland/England game last night.

 

The nostalgia hit is massive (and I'd forgotten that the Czech/Italy game had taken place at Anfield, and had Smicer and Berger playing!) but what I've been a bit surprised by that has stuck out has been the appalling quality on display in most of the matches. Intensity in most games has been high but there seems to be no ability to control and keep hold of the ball for any length of time, no team seems to be able to move the ball around more than 3-4 passes before someone inadvertently shanks an over-hit pass into the stand or it bounces off a shin straight to the opposition, it's like watching pinball. Even in the Swiss/Netherlands game the Dutch were struggling to display any significant periods of fluidity. I don't remember it feeling like this at the time, I'm surprised how much the game seems to have moved on even in *just* (:blink:) the last 24 years.

 

Not watched the France/Spain game yet, might put that on this avy, hoping that produces more flashes of brilliance.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, christaylor said:

it's a low bar, but this is without doubt the greatest thing ITV has ever done.

 

All the games that have been played up to this point in the tournament are available on the hub and I've been watching a few over the weekend. Scotland v Netherlands (Netherlands were absolutely ROBBED here!), Switzerland v Netherlands, Czech Republic v Italy and then the Scotland/England game last night.

 

The nostalgia hit is massive (and I'd forgotten that the Czech/Italy game had taken place at Anfield, and had Smicer and Berger playing!) but what I've been a bit surprised by that has stuck out has been the appalling quality on display in most of the matches. Intensity in most games has been high but there seems to be no ability to control and keep hold of the ball for any length of time, no team seems to be able to move the ball around more than 3-4 passes before someone inadvertently shanks an over-hit pass into the stand or it bounces off a shin straight to the opposition, it's like watching pinball. Even in the Swiss/Netherlands game the Dutch were struggling to display any significant periods of fluidity. I don't remember it feeling like this at the time, I'm surprised how much the game seems to have moved on even in *just* (:blink:) the last 24 years.

 

Not watched the France/Spain game yet, might put that on this avy, hoping that produces more flashes of brilliance.

 

I'd felt the same thing having watched both the opening game and the Germany vs Czech Republic game. I was expecting there to be a drop in terms of fitness compared to today, but the lack of build up was astonishing. Knocking it long to your centre forwards seemed to be the only way anyone was capable of moving up the pitch, even when they're tightly marked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching the Germany vs. Bulgaria game in the 94 World Cup and was surprised at the quality to be honest. I thought it would be far more agricultural than it turned out to be. There was admittedly a lot of the full backs clipping lofted balls into the box for the forwards to compete for, but also people roasting efforts in from all over the place which was fun. What I always find striking was how many different body shapes are on display. Every footballer now looks like they've marched out of a bionic man factory. Then, if you were a short arse you'd probably be centre mid, a skinny speed merchant would be on the wing and if you were carrying a bit of timber it's probably best you go centre half. Also every looked at least 45, including the teenagers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I'd felt the same thing having watched both the opening game and the Germany vs Czech Republic game. I was expecting there to be a drop in terms of fitness compared to today, but the lack of build up was astonishing. Knocking it long to your centre forwards seemed to be the only way anyone was capable of moving up the pitch, even when they're tightly marked.

Yeah, just smashing it up the field when there is clearly nothing on seems rife, blind panicked clearances from around the box and the lack of composure generally.

 

33 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I was watching the Germany vs. Bulgaria game in the 94 World Cup and was surprised at the quality to be honest. I thought it would be far more agricultural than it turned out to be. There was admittedly a lot of the full backs clipping lofted balls into the box for the forwards to compete for, but also people roasting efforts in from all over the place which was fun. What I always find striking was how many different body shapes are on display. Every footballer now looks like they've marched out of a bionic man factory. Then, if you were a short arse you'd probably be centre mid, a skinny speed merchant would be on the wing and if you were carrying a bit of timber it's probably best you go centre half. Also every looked at least 45, including the teenagers.

Yes! It's funny watching these games seeing how baggy the shirts are compared to modern ones, hiding a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.