That's good, Mario's model is the ugliest part of 64, factoring in the fact that you're looking at it the entire time. I'm guessing they've eliminated the 'lower-poly' version of Mario when he goes a certain distance from the camera? 

• 1 month later...

Recently I was surprised to discover that full speed emulation of SM64 on 3DS (well, New 3DS) is now a thing, and pretty impressive it is too.

But a true 3DS port is here..and wonderful in all of its vanilla 240p glory.

It's perfect on New model as the camera buttons map to the nipple stick. Literally perfect.

2020-07-30_02-51-37.689_top-01.png

• 7 months later...

Maybe I'm weird, but I find that when I see the higher poly characters I start to notice the absence of things like facial animation. And the higher resolution textures on the environment look out of place on the low detailed geometry. 

I, weirdly, think the original looks better!

Yep agreed – the textures in particular do not suit the aesthetic at all – and i think that's very often the case in games where the artistic choices of the day are necessarily reflective the hardware limitations.

Great that there's modding activity though, its all good fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Mario 64, but with a ton of upgrades you can turn on including the ability to not leave the stage when collecting stars, new moves, 60fps and camera control and heaps more.

Bit of a pain to set up but it's not bad at all!

On 08/04/2021 at 11:09, Darhkwing said:

Mario 64, but with a ton of upgrades you can turn on including the ability to not leave the stage when collecting stars, new moves, 60fps and camera control and heaps more.

Bit of a pain to set up but it's not bad at all!

I'm struggling to get this setup

I also followed the instructions on https://www.msys2.org/

after running pacman -Syu and pacman -Su its not clear what I have to do.  I tried typing 'pacman -S --needed base-devel mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain' but then it gives an option of Enter a selection (default=all): but not clear what to do from here

I also followed step by step instruction for windows on this page https://github.com/sm64-port/sm64-port

I get as far as typing  'git clone https://github.com/sm64-port/sm64-port.git' in the MSYS2 terminal window but it says command not found

Have you got any pointers?  

Out of interest did you change the install directory? I had a similar issue that pacman -Syu wasn't working until i let it install to the default place.

After that, i ran that command and the pacman -Su one and it all worked (believe it asked for the rom at that point) and it does it's thing.

2 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Out of interest did you change the install directory? I had a similar issue that pacman -Syu wasn't working until i let it install to the default place.

After that, i ran that command and the pacman -Su one and it all worked (believe it asked for the rom at that point) and it does it's thing.

I've installed mysys2 to another drive and not the default c:\.  I'll try uninstalling and install in on my c:\  

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Not having to leave a stage when getting a star is such a small but clever change.

It's cool but doesn't always work. For example, you can't trigger the koopa race until you come back into the level. The majority of stars are collecting in one go though for sure.

6 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Sorry to trouble you and this maybe a dumb question.  I've reinstalled MYSYS2 to c:\ and have got a little further now.  I managed to get past the git clone part and cd sm64-port.  The next step is to:

Place a Super Mario 64 ROM called baserom.<VERSION>.z64 into the repository's root directory for asset extraction

Do I put the ROM in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\sm64-port ?

EDIT:  NVM Ive got it up and working now

I've added to my library of hacks

2021-04-10_LI.thumb.jpg.c75e00f561fcb4b2a460ff3d7cb8dfc0.jpg