• 2 weeks later...

That's a unique version of Quest Arrest too.

This is what I hoped they'd do, for obvious reasons these games physically on their native machines have tiny runs and cost full price just for that (Quest Arrest was £35).

And those people would probably still want those spangly versions but this provides both a revenue stream for people like John Roo as well as the chance for the rest of us to play these easily on a machine.

After spending a good hour on these.. Dizzy is Dizzy so everything you'd expect. Neat to have so many in a cart you can play on the go but not exactly earth shattering. Does include all of the Kickstarter games which are quite expensive on the NES these days so a bargain for £15.  The biggest plus in all this is Xeno Crisis as its pure gaming class. Thought I was going to snap my wrist with the pressure from blasting my way through the levels, its so quick and tough to get through but so rewarding. Would have been happy if this was on its own cart! Did try Tanglewood but felt a bit directionless, once I got to a bottom tree off to one side I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to be collecting. The graphics are really small and with falling leaves around its difficult to see what you actually need to grab so don't think it's one I'll be coming back to. 

Yeah Xeno Crisis is amazing. I was there day one for the original release. Without question my favourite video game of 2019, and with the best soundtrack too.

The only criticisms I have are minor ones: the first boss is tougher than the second, and the jump in difficulty between stage 3 and 4 is pretty significant. 

I never did fully finish it on Hard though, and when I went back to it a while ago to attempt it it annihilated me in the best possible way. 

I think I said this before but pairing the game with Tanglewood was a deft move as the games couldn't be more different (ultra hardcore adrenaline-fest vs. a meditative platform puzzler) yet somehow totally complementary.

New update is out:

https://www.evercade.co.uk/new-firmware-1-3-0/

FEATURES

Added better ROM run handling (performance boost)

Added auto smart cartridge repair (fixes bad saves etc)

Added automated cart ROM patching + ROM patch logs on cart

Added better handling of vertical overscan cropping on handheld mode for all games. (Less clipping behind the top bezel)

Added better version control to assist with support

Added critical battery alert. (When battery at 10% or less, Green LED will flash)

Added new advanced savestate menus for all games. (Shows save state selection menu and playtime duration for each state)

Added new MAX BRIGHTNESS setting.The screen is now capable of much higher brightness with minimal impact on battery life.

Added sound priority to emulator backends to reduce sound stuttering and improve performance

Added sync routine directly after game launch to help prevent game save and savestate corruption

Completely overhauled input handling for MUCH more responsive input and no more dropped inputs

Defaulted screen brightness (if not set) to MAX.

If running blastem or in HDMI then auto boost clock to MAX before ROM execution for performance boost

Improved Emulation resolution handling for more realistic resolutions.

Improved HDMI switching process. (Will improve further in next firmware)

Improved emulation backend

Streamlined and compressed a lot of on console content

When switching between HDMI and handheld, Intro video will be skipped instead of waiting 10 seconds

Xenocrisis is really frustrating, it's a great game utterly ruined by 2 stupid design decisions.

1 - Finite ammo on your pea shooter weapon

2 - As with most games with bosses, stupid bullet sponge "learn the trick" bosses.

I get to boss 1 without losing a life, and lose 2-3 of them there thanks to him doing something cheap.

I then make it to boss 2, and lose the remaining one as he does something cheap.

It's an excuse not to be inventive with your main rooms and it turns a really, really good game into something I'll abandon fairly quickly.

I don't have an issue with the ammo running out as a refill always appears before you run out, just a case of dashing through and grabbing it. That first boss is stupid though, particularly compared to the later ones.

Yeah a refill appears in a random location though, which means you might be forced to take damage to get it, especially in a room with walls.

It's an action shooter where you're punished for shooting.  In fact technically the best thing to do when you finish any room is stand there for 5 seconds firing until you run out, so you can go into the next room as full as possible, which is a horrible mechanic.

57 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah a refill appears in a random location though, which means you might be forced to take damage to get it, especially in a room with walls.

It's an action shooter where you're punished for shooting.  In fact technically the best thing to do when you finish any room is stand there for 5 seconds firing until you run out, so you can go into the next room as full as possible, which is a horrible mechanic.

You'll never be forced to take damage to grab ammo. 

If ammo spawns in a cluster of enemies you can usually draw them away from it (most enemy types are pretty pretty mobile and some actively go after you, allowing you to create openings). 

You can also use your dash/roll to nip in a nip out (there are invincibility frames to exploit).

You can also increase the odds of being closer to an ammo spawn by spending more time near the center of the play areas rather than camping near corners or against edges.

And yes, you can chose to always start a fresh screen with full ammo by spending a few moments pumping out what's left in your chamber & grabbing a fresh load before moving on. It's a legitimate tactic and a highly advisable one especially for beginners.

Without the limited-yet-infinite ammo mechanic the game would require a complete rethink & rebalance.

29 minutes ago, strider said:

Cool. Do you still need to do the other updates as I’ve not done any yet.

Not really, sorts the controls and a few small issues but nothing game breaking. These are more quality of life updates.

16 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Without the limited-yet-infinite ammo mechanic the game would require a complete rethink & rebalance.

Or just the option for me to turn it on. :)

I looked at the cheats, sadly that's not one of them.