IGNORED

Evercade

ulala

I preordered this last October. Went for the all in one in the limited black edition. :D

Also, ordered the extra cartridges that they announced afterwards.

Can't wait for the others to be available for preorder (Tanglewood etc...):eyebrows:

1 minute ago, AceGrace said:

I preordered this last October. Went for the all in one in the limited black edition.

Also, ordered the 2 extra cartridges that they announced afterwards.

Can't wait for the others to be available for preorder (Tanglewood etc...):eyebrows:

There’s a black one?

also, what are the two extra cartridges? I can’t see any for sale beyond the initial 10.

On 05/05/2020 at 14:50, merman said:

If you have played before, you can re-learn.

Eesh. Have you ever tried to do this? It's pretty difficult. I tried playing a Mega Man compilation years ago (PS2 IIRC) and the buttons were the wrong way around and couldn't be re-mapped. No matter how much effort I put into re-learning, the moment I reached a tough part of the game, my old muscle memory would kick in and I'd be pressing the wrong buttons.

9 hours ago, Camel said:

Eesh. Have you ever tried to do this? It's pretty difficult. I tried playing a Mega Man compilation years ago (PS2 IIRC) and the buttons were the wrong way around and couldn't be re-mapped. No matter how much effort I put into re-learning, the moment I reached a tough part of the game, my old muscle memory would kick in and I'd be pressing the wrong buttons.

Yeah it’s not ideal and it looks like it’s being fixed. Most of the nes games on the evercade are new to me so only double dragon 2 and renegade are going to be truly broken by the sound of it.

wonder when the patch is coming and I wonder if there will be 1.1 screen resolution at some point.

This looks cool but ... Why would I want to have all of those games spread out over 10 (and more) carts? And be constantly swapping them when I want to browse and check out different things? Particularly as I assume they are just SD cards in a fancy case, couldn't they just put them all on one , for the "all in" edition at least?

15 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Then you'd not play them like any time you have gigantic compilations.  It's a collector's thing.  Hell it's basically going to be the last hurrah for physical games at all.

I think John on Digital Foundry made a good point about this. Having a device with everything is all well and good, but the choice is overwhelming. Also if you're downloading every game you ever wanted where's the incentive to actually play it? I'd imagine I'll be more likely to play a small collection of games that have cost me £15 against a collection of roms that took nothing other than time to access.

One interesting thing about the button mapping, won't it make all the instruction manuals worthless?

On 05/05/2020 at 20:11, strider said:

There’s a black one?

also, what are the two extra cartridges? I can’t see any for sale beyond the initial 10.

The spines on the site also gave away the answer to this.  11 and 12 are the Lynx and

image.png.da513cf6198d7538eebf7624f5edb974.png

46 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Xenocrisis looks awesome. 

Any one tried it or Tanglewood? 

We reviewed both and I picked up a physical copy of Tanglewood on MD for £50.

The button layout will actually be perfect for Xenocrisis.

5 hours ago, strider said:

I think John on Digital Foundry made a good point about this. Having a device with everything is all well and good, but the choice is overwhelming. Also if you're downloading every game you ever wanted where's the incentive to actually play it? I'd imagine I'll be more likely to play a small collection of games that have cost me £15 against a collection of roms that took nothing other than time to access.

One interesting thing about the button mapping, won't it make all the instruction manuals worthless?

it’s a strange argument, getting less games and less value because it makes you concentrate on the few games they have given you?

i agree that if you have 10,000 Mame roms you are spoiled for choice, but not with a handful of Atari 2600 games.

They are the same, it’s just roms on software emulation.

39 minutes ago, ulala said:

it’s a strange argument, getting less games and less value because it makes you concentrate on the few games they have given you?

i agree that if you have 10,000 Mame roms you are spoiled for choice, but not with a handful of Atari 2600 games.

They are the same, it’s just roms on software emulation.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :)
Granted they're just roms on emulation software, but it's legal and I quite like that aspect of it.

3 minutes ago, strider said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :)

car salesman:

it doesn’t get that many miles per gallon, but it’s great you are restricted to going places within 30 miles - really focuses your attention on that small area.

3 minutes ago, ulala said:

car salesman:

it doesn’t get that many miles per gallon, but it’s great you are restricted to going places within 30 miles - really focuses your attention on that small area.

I'm not a salesman, I just prefer buying games over downloading them. It's why I have a PC Engine Mini, SNES Mini, Mega Drive Mini and loads of Xbox Live Arcade and Virtual Console games. This scratches a collecting itch in me and companies are also getting money. Seems like a win win to me.

I'd be interested in a device like this if there was internal memory that you could install games to. I try to "support" retro re-releases now and then (despite having a PC that can run most emulators) and I bought a lot of the compilations that came out on PSP - the Metal Slug collection, the Gradius collection, the SNK collection, a couple of the Capcom Collections, EA Replay, the Sega Collections - and you could have digitally-downloaded games stored on a PSP's memory card back then... but I often bought physical UMDs because my storage only went so far.