IGNORED

Evercade

ulala

14 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I'd be interested in a device like this if there was internal memory that you could install games to. I try to "support" retro re-releases now and then (despite having a PC that can run most emulators) and I bought a lot of the compilations that came out on PSP - the Metal Slug collection, the Gradius collection, the SNK collection, a couple of the Capcom Collections, EA Replay, the Sega Collections - and you could have digitally-downloaded games stored on a PSP's memory card back then... but I often bought physical UMDs because my storage only went so far.

That had the backing of Sony and big corporations.. plus the PSP was about £180 on launch. This is just a small retro handheld for £79.99, and certainly not from one of the big players. Also I doubt they'd want something that could be hacked like the PSP as it would destroy their software sales.

Absolutely - I'm not suggesting that it should be a device that could be hacked, or that it should have done more to get the backing of interested parties... just that (when you're faced with swapping a bunch of carts) installation can be very useful, and the PSP happened to be the last handheld I owned where (even if you were a layman who wasn't interested in CFW) you had the option to install games to memory. (Also I was using the PSP as an example of me willingly buying commercially available retro compilations rather than CFW'ing a handheld, to highlight how I'd do the same here.)

On the other hand: I don't know the size of each cart, and I don't know how much a dedicated bit of internal storage would add to the price, etc. :P So if I were to get one I could just fashion a case for my carts or something :D 

43 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I'd be interested in a device like this if there was internal memory that you could install games to. I try to "support" retro re-releases now and then (despite having a PC that can run most emulators) and I bought a lot of the compilations that came out on PSP - the Metal Slug collection, the Gradius collection, the SNK collection, a couple of the Capcom Collections, EA Replay, the Sega Collections - and you could have digitally-downloaded games stored on a PSP's memory card back then... but I often bought physical UMDs because my storage only went so far.

They have mentioned adding the ability to add your own games but they also want to keep publishers happy which makes perfect sense. I think the beauty of a device live this is that as the emulators are within the cart the possibilities are endless (providing the base unit is powerful enough of course).

i could easily seeing snk appearing on it as they love getting their ip about.

Who is responsible for the emulators? If the Namco efforts are anything like their arcade stuff on PS4 they'll be dreadful :( I imagine Blaze themselves are in charge of emulation and just license the games?

Just now, Camel said:

Who is responsible for the emulators? If the Namco efforts are anything like their arcade stuff on PS4 they'll be dreadful :( I imagine Blaze themselves are in charge of emulation and just license the games?

no, they used regular emulators, regular roms

1 hour ago, strider said:

I'm not a salesman, I just prefer buying games over downloading them. It's why I have a PC Engine Mini, SNES Mini, Mega Drive Mini and loads of Xbox Live Arcade and Virtual Console games. This scratches a collecting itch in me and companies are also getting money. Seems like a win win to me.

I didn’t call you a salesman.

Er, right, that's not what I'm asking.

So emulation is a broad spectrum and range massively in terms of quality and what I'm asking is - are Blaze in charge of licensing/purchasing an emulation solution or are, say, Namco? It's going to be Blaze, right?

12 minutes ago, Camel said:

Er, right, that's not what I'm asking.

So emulation is a broad spectrum and range massively in terms of quality and what I'm asking is - are Blaze in charge of licensing/purchasing an emulation solution or are, say, Namco? It's going to be Blaze, right?

I assume all Namco are doing is giving blaze the rights to use roms of some games, the rest is down to blaze.

is there an sd card in the game carts?

8 hours ago, cassidy said:

Xenocrisis looks awesome. 

Any one tried it or Tanglewood? 

Xeno Crisis is utterly magnificent and unquestionably a true Mega Drive great. It's hardcore as hell though - I originally bought the game on day of release and it's still a thrill to play through.

Tanglewood is great but you do have to enjoy a certain kind of largely 'ambient' puzzle-platformer to get the most out of it. It's the polar opposite of Xeno Crisis but that's no bad thing - it was an inspired decision to bundle these two games up, IMO.

3 hours ago, ulala said:

I assume all Namco are doing is giving blaze the rights to use roms of some games, the rest is down to blaze.

is there an sd card in the game carts?

Ulala is right. Blaze are getting the licenses from the relevant companies and making bespoke emulators for each cart. One of the interesting things with the roms is that they have new licenses on the title screen suggesting that they are possibly new created.

1 minute ago, strider said:

Ulala is right. Blaze are getting the licenses from the relevant companies and making bespoke emulators for each cart. One of the interesting things with the roms is that they have new licenses on the title screen suggesting that they are possibly new created.

John Linneman noted that Nintendo's name had been removed from Earthworm Jim 2 as well.

801626581_Screenshot_20200507-2354572.thumb.png.4033d8222520d0de6623951ca780d5aa.png

Just saw a new video of a live stream and there are sound issues with that streamer. Here’s hoping its capture devices and not a hdmi issue. I can’t believe digital foundry would miss something like that.

If the entire Lynx collection were to be released on the Evercade then I’d be in.

Personally though I’ve grown weary of playing home console games on handhelds. What are the chances of Gameboy games ever appearing on this?

20 minutes ago, Swainy said:

If the entire Lynx collection were to be released on the Evercade then I’d be in.

Personally though I’ve grown weary of playing home console games on handhelds. What are the chances of Gameboy games ever appearing on this?

All down to companies licensing games so every chance of them appearing. Don't think there'd ever be Nintendo 1st part stuff as they just don't do it for other systems.

I actually find the idea of this quite appealing, in terms of having the games on cartridges etc.

I'm not as fond of the fact that it's just running software emulators, but the eurogamer review suggested they're tailored for the device. I suppose the ideal modern device for retro collectors would be some sort of fpga hardware with games/collections on carts with nice boxart and manuals/retrospective booklets etc...

Do these carts come with manuals? The boxart for the Lynx collection above looks very bland, which is a shame, since for many the appeal of collecting physical carts is what differentiates this device from loading a million roms onto a cheapo emulation handheld.

Really pleased about the Lynx announcement as it’s a system I regret selling. I’ve suggested a ‘games’ package with all the releases on it because sports games are a little thin on the ground at the mo.

as for getting tired of playing console games on handhelds? Handhelds are my favourite system so I’m far from tired.

Browsing through, he has an issue where the sound didn't work for Boogerman, but it worked when restarting the game. Splatterhouse caused a green flicker on the side and everything was black and white after exiting the game. He could only see that on the capture though; it didn't appear on his TV. Resetting it fixed it. There might be others, I didn't watch the whole thing. 

Problems do seem to be a result of going through a capture device rather than just HDMI output. 

3 hours ago, strider said:

Really pleased about the Lynx announcement as it’s a system I regret selling. I’ve suggested a ‘games’ package with all the releases on it because sports games are a little thin on the ground at the mo.

as for getting tired of playing console games on handhelds? Handhelds are my favourite system so I’m far from tired.

I'd love to see something like a series EA sports carts with Madden, NBA Jam and Hockey. Perhaps all mixed together though it's unlikely to happen thanks to the licensing costs sadly. A SWOS cart with several years on would be amazing though.

5 hours ago, partious said:

I actually find the idea of this quite appealing, in terms of having the games on cartridges etc.

I'm not as fond of the fact that it's just running software emulators, but the eurogamer review suggested they're tailored for the device. I suppose the ideal modern device for retro collectors would be some sort of fpga hardware with games/collections on carts with nice boxart and manuals/retrospective booklets etc...

Do these carts come with manuals? The boxart for the Lynx collection above looks very bland, which is a shame, since for many the appeal of collecting physical carts is what differentiates this device from loading a million roms onto a cheapo emulation handheld.

Yes, bespoke colour manual with each cartridge.

The sound issues WERE the game capture card. Stop going on about them.

8 hours ago, strider said:

Ea stuff is unlikely but a sensible soccer or bitmap brothers pack is certainly possible.

Do you know if all the Sensible Software ip is now in the hands of Codemasters?