IGNORED

Evercade

ulala

On 14/11/2021 at 13:58, spanky debrest said:

I wouldn't say it's necessarily screwing over the evercade to have a way to side load retroarch onto it.

It's just a bit weird and something I'd imagine the core userbase have no interest in doing.

The intent is unlikely to be to side load Retroarch, not least because an Evercade+Evercade SD is comfortably more than an RG351 that can do more.   That's the convenient don't sue us story.

The intent is to side load Evercade carts you didn't purchase.

18 minutes ago, ulala said:

Isn’t the role of almost every everdrive purchased to load games that you didn’t purchase?

I guess the difference here is that the Evercade is an indie business that's seen as supporting the retro scene with "new" releases, whereas most everdrive carts are just used for loading up old Megadrive or SNES ROMs, right?

2 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I guess the difference here is that the Evercade is an indie business that's seen as supporting the retro scene with "new" releases, whereas most everdrive carts are just used for loading up old Megadrive or SNES ROMs, right?

but then we are back into those old SNES and MegaDrive games still being sold via Sega and Nintendo. With their classic mini consoles and compilations / e-stores.

to me, it’s the same. 

you either accept everdrives or you don’t. But it’s a personal decision.

play games how you want. If someone wants to use an everSD then more power to them.

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

The intent is unlikely to be to side load Retroarch, not least because an Evercade+Evercade SD is comfortably more than an RG351 that can do more.   That's the convenient don't sue us story.

The intent is to side load Evercade carts you didn't purchase.

I just don't see people who bought into the evercade - a system about the appreciation and collecting of retro games on physical media - wanting to run pirated retail cartridge dumps.

If evercade cart dumps are indeed a thing (I don't know if they are but suspect they're not) that's pretty fucked.

EDit - being curious I had a look at some of the threads on GBAtemp about the flashcart.

Bit of a rabbit hole.

Turns out Blaze have no problem with homebrew projects which involve reverse engineering cartridges / adding ROMs to them etc provided there's no profit / distribution involved (the EverSD as a commercial product obviously doesn't qualify, hence it being blocked on official FW). 

EverSD does seem to be reliant on retroarch cores. It's been out for over a year and now has a companion USB hub (sold separately) that allows for multiplayer to work where applicable.

I couldn't find any reference there to cartridge images / ROM dumps derived from retail carts - only the illegality of sharing modified official firmware on the website. If there was a piracy scene facilitated by the EverSD.. there'd probably be a warning or two about not promoting it.

There seems to be genuine respect for Blaze and what the console stands for over there. No, really. They collect the carts but want more from the console. One guy - a Blaze affiliate no less - showed off his custom NES cart running with ROMs he'd dumped from his NES Classic - no EverSD was involved in the making of that cartridge.

As someone who enjoys customising and theming, building a homemade compilation cart that'd never exist as a real product (entirely possible using a sacrificial cart and few cheap components it seems) is a project I'd could see throwing myself into. 

Of course I totally get that a flashcart for an active console - from a small company doing a great job to boot - is major bad vibes but this isn't that from what I've seen. 

1 hour ago, Swainy said:

Just in case you guys missed the link in the Retro Asylum folder, Chris Worthington spoke to the Evercade guys recently.

j0idKLR.png

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/retroasylum/Episode_266_-_Evercade_VS_and_Blaze_Entertainment.mp3

Really enjoyed that. I pre-ordered the VS early on and to be honest, I have been humming and haaaing about keeping it, given how everything seems to be getting more and more expensive, but hearing the team talk and the enthusiasm they have for the project, I really want to be a part of it. On top of that, it sounds like they've really doubled down on making the VS a best in class emulation machine and it's not "just" an Evercade without a screen. Back on the hype train, cheers. :)

5 hours ago, kempstar said:

So why is nobody talking about the absolutely beautiful purple Evercade?

I got an email for it about 5 mins ago, saw it was limited to 1,000 units, and decided in a millisecond to order. 

Because it's the same machine with 5p worth of purple dye that you just paid between a £20 and £35 premium on the normal white machine for? :)

Actually one thing I'm not happy with is them saying "Oh no shipping is tricky, some of you who supported us from the start might have to wait for a 2nd boat coming *static noises*" when they apparently do have 100s of machines to send out to literally anyone that'll give them sufficiently reverent coverage of a machine no-one can buy because early adopters and their mates have all of them for the next year.

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

they apparently do have 100s of machines to send out to literally anyone that'll give them sufficiently reverent coverage of a machine no-one can buy 

I don't trust any review of the console because of this.

Although what's the point of a review of something you can't buy for months.

They've handed out SO many though and most of them at least 3 months ahead of even when the initial people who supported the company will get theirs. And perhaps 6 months before some of the pre-orders will be delivered.  There were only 5000 founders editions and they seem to have sent out at least 100 freebies to mates.  There's going to be quite a few people delayed just for that. 

It would have felt better if they'd delivered as many pre-orders as possible and then got the reviews in when you could sensibly order one.  But then they wouldn't be able to control who has them.... and it's that bit that's making myself and @ulala suspicious.

Same reason I turned against Sega Mania magazine tbh, smaller scale project but everything about it pre-release were a lot of people I KNOW got it free obligingly posting boasting pics everywhere with none of them admitting this.  And none of them mentioned the problems with it that were bad enough they pulled issue 1 off digital sale to fix them.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

They've handed out SO many though and most of them at least 3 months ahead of even when the initial people who supported the company will get theirs. And perhaps 6 months before some of the pre-orders will be delivered.  There were only 5000 founders editions and they seem to have sent out at least 100 freebies to mates.  There's going to be quite a few people delayed just for that. 

I thought the problem was they had supply issues because of global supply problems and the launch was pushed back to December? So all the stuff that was sent out early was much closer to the original date but thanks to the date shift it's made it all go a bit awry with much earlier reviews.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

umm if they don't have the console.. how are they meant to review it? It'd be the death of any media if they were meant to review things without the actual thing in hand.

Any "reviewer" who gets sent free samples, and who also has an expectation to receive free items from the same company in the future cannot produce unbiased results. This is especially so, the smaller the reviewer's profile.

We all know "reviewers" who have been sent free items that were later accepted to be utter trash, give them very positive reviews.

The very idea of a company sending out free stuff is that you get positive reviews from it. Its a quid pro quo. 

Gaming media is full of this. I just have to look at social media timelines or youtube.

Want me to plug your kickstarter constantly on my social media? Sure, just send me a free copy of your 'Movie'- right?

Want a good review of your new console? Sure - just send it to me. 

A crappy poorly emulated mini console? no problem. 5 stars.

A podcast that gets sent free game codes just to talk about them for 5 minutes? whats the harm.

We need to know where there is this QPQ relationship. Half of "big" twitter should have "Ad" next to half of their posts.

2 hours ago, ulala said:

Any "reviewer" who gets sent free samples, and who also has an expectation to receive free items from the same company in the future cannot produce unbiased results. This is especially so, the smaller the reviewer's profile.

We all know "reviewers" who have been sent free items that were later accepted to be utter trash, give them very positive reviews.

The very idea of a company sending out free stuff is that you get positive reviews from it. Its a quid pro quo.

Gaming media is full of this. I just have to look at social media timelines or youtube.

Want me to plug your kickstarter constantly on my social media? Sure, just send me a free copy of your 'Movie'- right?

Want a good review of your new console? Sure - just send it to me. 

A crappy poorly emulated mini console? no problem. 5 stars.

A podcast that gets sent free game codes just to talk about them for 5 minutes? whats the harm.

We need to know where there is this QPQ relationship. Half of "big" twitter should have "Ad" next to half of their posts.

Nonsense. Its called being professional and not everyone is a crook and tarring the entire lot with a big brush because of a few incidents here and there is just silly. Many, many, many reviewers crap on products when they've had them to hand and still get further review copies.

30 minutes ago, strider said:

Just to point out that Retro Gamer was obviously sent out a review sample. We couldn’t review it otherwise and we certainly wouldn’t have featured it on the cover if we were not happy with it.

I’ve not played on the VS myself yet.

I would expect you to, you're basically the reference tome.

It's the fact they seem to have sent them out like candy to random "Influencers", most with no special reach, lost who wouldn't go near this normally but all obligingly providing positive reviews for evercade to retweet. And so many of them that people who gave them actual money on day 1 won't get them on day 1. Or day 89.

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

It would have felt better if they'd delivered as many pre-orders as possible and then got the reviews in when you could sensibly order one.  But then they wouldn't be able to control who has them.... and it's that bit that's making myself and @ulala suspicious.

Same reason I turned against Sega Mania magazine tbh, smaller scale project but everything about it pre-release were a lot of people I KNOW got it free obligingly posting boasting pics everywhere with none of them admitting this.  And none of them mentioned the problems with it that were bad enough they pulled issue 1 off digital sale to fix them.

I get the resistance against tedious, self-styled "influencers" whose goal in life is to amass as many freebies as possible, but this is clearly a key part of the Evercade marketing strategy. If they don't send them out their target audience is not going to see them.

1 hour ago, strider said:

Just to point out that Retro Gamer was obviously sent out a review sample. We couldn’t review it otherwise and we certainly wouldn’t have featured it on the cover if we were not happy with it.

I’ve not played on the VS myself yet.

I think RG has done more for the profile of the Evercade than anyone else.

I can't imagine there is a single Evercade owner who wouldn't enjoy RG. And every EG reader would be interested in the Evercade even if they didn't plan to buy one.

20 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Making reviewers BUY their own hardware/software to review?

do you want a GTA3 6/10?

because that’s how you get a GTA3 6/10…

Interestingly, I remember a review site from years ago and it used to pride itself on the fact that all its games were paid for and didn't come from publishers. It's reviews were typically really high or really low, so did that mean the game was particularly poor or amazing, or because it was the reviewer justifying their purchase with a high score (or getting angry when they'd spent £50 on a dud). It's an interesting debate but probably needs its own thread. Sorry.

1 hour ago, strider said:

Interestingly, I remember a review site from years ago and it used to pride itself on the fact that all its games were paid for and didn't come from publishers. It's reviews were typically really high or really low, so did that mean the game was particularly poor or amazing, or because it was the reviewer justifying their purchase with a high score (or getting angry when they'd spent £50 on a dud). It's an interesting debate but probably needs its own thread. Sorry.

When I worked at Time Out all food reviews had to be done anonymously and be paid for in cash because when you go to a restaurant as their guest you get treated very differently. I've experienced both and it's night and day.

Plenty of journalists give products bad reviews despite being sent them for free. The principle has always been that journalists (or their outlets) live or die based on their integrity. If journos give glowing reviews to clearly substandard products that they've obviously been sent for free, it quickly becomes apparent to consumers that they can't be trusted.

Of course that self-governing  system doesn't always work one hundred percent efficiently. But in general it does, and that's been the foundation of the symbiotic relationship between industry and the media for a long, long time. 

11 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Plenty of journalists give products bad reviews despite being sent them for free. The principle has always been that journalists (or their outlets) live or die based on their integrity. If journos give glowing reviews to clearly substandard products that they've obviously been sent for free, it quickly becomes apparent to consumers that they can't be trusted.

Of course that self-governing  system doesn't always work one hundred percent efficiently. But in general it does, and that's been the foundation of the symbiotic relationship between industry and the media for a long, long time. 

The point being made was less about journalists and more about people on YouTube who have developed a following mainly through the process of shilling in return for access.

24 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, the problem here is you say journalists.

Strider and his team are journalists.

I am not but people not especially unlike my reach on youtube but that have slavishly praised them up to now have them.

Well there's an interesting point there, in that the term "journalist" is very loosely defined. It isn't a profession like "lawyer" or "accountant" where you have to be qualified and registered in order to be able to use the title.

(And I say this as someone with professional qualifications in journalism and 10 years' experience employed as a news reporter). 

More recently I've been on the "dark side", working in marketing. And it's always been my belief that, from an ethical point of view, we're obliged to treat this new breed of "influencers", "Citizen journalists" or whatever they call themselves, the same way we treat "proper" journalists. As long as they hold themselves to the same standards.