IGNORED

Evercade

ulala

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

I was hoping it was, at least then it's in one place so one negotiation to have with a publisher that at least remembers it HAS a history.

I’ve been hassling someone I know at team 17 to look into a collection as some of their Amiga games feel like a good fit.

55 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

:o Poke everyone in your contacts, imagine the carts! :lol:

The thing is, things like the vega plus and the elite system will most likely put many devs off. I could see Jeff minter being interested if the price was right, whoever owns Henson now likes money, so they’re likely. Plenty of opportunities but it comes down to what many want.

2 minutes ago, strider said:

The thing is, things like the vega plus and the elite system will most likely put many devs off. I could see Jeff minter being interested if the price was right, whoever owns Henson now likes money, so they’re likely. Plenty of opportunities but it comes down to what many want.

Biggest difference is once this launches soon it will be out there and readily available to all. No chance of being ripped off with non existent hardware. Seems like Evercade sort out all of the carts and emulation so just a matter of publishers offering up games.

4 hours ago, strider said:

Did you mean Hewson? I used to love their games as they seemed to have a real quality about them, I still quite often play Ranarama on a spectrum emulation and it's brilliant. 

11 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Did you mean Hewson? I used to love their games as they seemed to have a real quality about them, I still quite often play Ranarama on a spectrum emulation and it's brilliant. 

Yup, damn auto correct :lol:

Graftgold did a lot of their great stuff, and Braybrook was inspired by lots of arcade games so they have a real polished feel to them. 

You'd struggle with an Ocean pack due to licence issues, although Ultimate games could be a possibility.

On 05/05/2020 at 20:11, strider said:

There’s a black one?

also, what are the two extra cartridges? I can’t see any for sale beyond the initial 10.

The black one sold out months ago.

I got the cartridges confused.

When I ordered it the Technos cartridge wasn't available but was added later.

Definitely getting the black one though :-)

On 08/05/2020 at 10:22, Swainy said:

If the entire Lynx collection were to be released on the Evercade then I’d be in.

Personally though I’ve grown weary of playing home console games on handhelds. What are the chances of Gameboy games ever appearing on this?

If they are putting SNES games on there, I don't see why they wouldnt put Gameboy games. The problem with reissuing Nintendo stuff is that even 3rd party games have Nintendo-licensed code in them somewhere. 

Interesting that they took the Nintendo text out of Earthworm Jim. In the case of that game, that might have been all that was needed to create a licensable game.

Yeah, the reason that I asked is because I would prefer to play handheld versions of games on a handheld device. 

Imagine if Evercade released Game Gear bundles, or NeoGeo pocket bundles. I think that would be much cooler than Megadrive, SNES & NES titles being released for it. I think that Atari Lynx bundles is a step in the right direction.

We’ve seen countless NES versions of games appear on other systems but I can’t think off of the top of my head Gameboy versions of games officially showing up on other systems. (Over than Nintendo systems).

Im fairly lucky in that I still own an AGS101 Gameboy Advanced and a modded Atari Lynx II so I can play those games with a decent screen.

So yeah, personally I’d rather see handheld games being released for the Evercade.

2 hours ago, Swainy said:

Yeah, the reason that I asked is because I would prefer to play handheld versions of games on a handheld device. 

Imagine if Evercade released Game Gear bundles, or NeoGeo pocket bundles. I think that would be much cooler than Megadrive, SNES & NES titles being released for it. I think that Atari Lynx bundles is a step in the right direction.

We’ve seen countless NES versions of games appear on other systems but I can’t think off of the top of my head Gameboy versions of games officially showing up on other systems. (Over than Nintendo systems).

Im fairly lucky in that I still own an AGS101 Gameboy Advanced and a modded Atari Lynx II so I can play those games with a decent screen.

So yeah, personally I’d rather see handheld games being released for the Evercade.

Think this could be a big hint :D

Just now, Dudley said:

I'm only ever going to use the thing handheld so it won't affect me.  Have you got to play with it yourself Darran? I'm guessing you'd agree with Nick's conclusions.

I've not played it yet as Nick is in London currently.:(
In all honesty it's not changed my decision to buy one as I'll be using it in handheld mode (I love handhelds). I'm glad we could confirm the audio issues outside of capture. It does appear to be affecting some TVs more than others and it looks like Evercade are taken feedback on board. Now when are those Lynx packs coming out :wub:

45 minutes ago, strider said:

Our Evercade review is up.

https://www.gamesradar.com/evercade-is-a-promising-product-with-teething-issues/

You might want to pay attention to the sound issues we've discovered.

No integer scaling or pixel perfect output options?  Ouch.  At that res it's got to be smear-o-vision surely?

I hope they rectify that in a future update, but then again... how can they if the emulators are built into each cartridge?

4 minutes ago, WizRider said:

No integer scaling or pixel perfect output options?  Ouch.  At that res it's got to be smear-o-vision surely?

I hope they rectify that in a future update, but then again... how can they if the emulators are built into each cartridge?

They can do things like that apparently, although it's a little trickier.

Im glad that it has a relatively cheap rrp in the UK, that has to be taken into account when talking about it. Some statements by Blaze are very odd though:

"Lastly, there is no way to connect a second controller, so multiplayer is out. This is by design – though games do retain their multiplayer modes, Blaze says these are for use in future Evercade products."

How expensive would it have been to reprogram each rom not to have any of the two player components, surely that must be the reason?

And as a reason for not including true arcade games (rather than ports), "Mixing arcade and home console can give you an uneven experience due to different screen ratios." I'm not buying that. 

9 minutes ago, ulala said:

And as a reason for not including true arcade games (rather than ports), "Mixing arcade and home console can give you an uneven experience due to different screen ratios." I'm not buying that. 

I would imagine ‘we want to sell you the same game twice’ wouldn’t work as well.

Will happily buy as arcade namco pack. 

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Are you buying one then?

I'm genuinely surprised that this is getting interest in the retro community - it only does what we have been able to do on psp/ vita for years. But that's just me, if others like it then they like it.

It's good that they seem quick to resolve the button problems too.

I'm putting my portable eggs in the Analogue Pocket basket.

1 hour ago, ulala said:

I'm genuinely surprised that this is getting interest in the retro community

People want to collect. They wanted boxes for their shelves.

I don't mean this as a bad thing, but it's the main driver here. Everyone who buys one is savvy enough to buy a cheaper retro handheld and stick the roms on. But there's no collectable angle to that.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

People want to collect. They wanted boxes for their shelves.

I don't mean this as a bad thing, but it's the main driver here. Everyone who buys one is savvy enough to buy a cheaper retro handheld and stick the roms on. But there's no collectable angle to that.

Or legal aspect to it.

1 hour ago, ulala said:

I'm genuinely surprised that this is getting interest in the retro community - it only does what we have been able to do on psp/ vita for years. But that's just me, if others like it then they like it.

It's good that they seem quick to resolve the button problems too.

I'm putting my portable eggs in the Analogue Pocket basket.

I think that's perfectly fair. To me, both are exciting, but they're clearly aiming at rather different audiences. I've got plenty of Game Boy, Game Gear and Neo Geo Pocket games, I prefer to have the best possible experience and I'm willing to pay extra for it, so the Analogue Pocket is something I'm looking forward to. The Evercade's impulse price point naturally means some concessions are made, but it feels good to play and the performance is roughly in line with the mini consoles that occupy the same price range (assuming the HDMI issues can be fixed as indicated). I also like the fact that Blaze is offering more than the usual well-worn games, with the Mega Cat Studios cart and the future Atari Lynx compilations. I think the choice between mass-market and premium products can only really be a good thing for retro gaming as a hobby.

As for why the broader retro audience is interested in the Evercade, as Rex says the collection aspect is a key part of that. Once you get beyond that, it's much the same as any of the mini consoles. One of the major things that I think is often overlooked is the value of convenience. While it's not much work to get a PSP or Raspberry Pi running older games, some people just don't want to be fussed with it or aren't confident in their ability to do it. Also, a lot of retro gamers really aren't concerned with optimising their experience. I've often been to events and seen PAL consoles hooked up to LCD TVs via RF, with the image stretched to 16:9, but people are sitting there happily playing away and we often see photos from readers who have similar setups. I tend to recoil in OSSC-owning horror, so that's why I mentioned the shimmering and soft handheld image, but I'd guess it's a minority of players that are actually concerned with those things.

3 hours ago, HKT3030 said:

As for why the broader retro audience is interested in the Evercade, as Rex says the collection aspect is a key part of that. Once you get beyond that, it's much the same as any of the mini consoles.

I found it remarkable that (screen and scaling issues aside) the quality of its actual emulation - on v1.0 carts - seems to outshine what's found on most of the official Mini consoles pretty effortlessly. I doubt it's much more powerful inside so it really speaks to the level of optimisation Blaze have pulled off straight out of the gate.

For example, Blast 'Em - even the 'cut down' version that runs on the Evercade - is leagues ahead of M2's M2engage as found on the MD Mini with better audio & apparently less lag.

So while it's not really a product aimed at me I can't help but like it and it's ethos. It deserves success from where I am.

4 hours ago, strider said:

Or legal aspect to it.

Aren’t lots of these games available on retro compilations for modern consoles and/or available for cheap on eBay? 

Like I say, I’m not knocking it, but if this was a handheld with either a Netflix-style subscription model or you bought games via download I don’t think anywhere near as many retro fans would want it. They want the objects.

If the games bought via download are DRM free, then we'll talk.

But yes, I've said I think this might genuinely be the last console release that truly uses physical media and that in itself is interesting.

(For reference I do not count the PS4/5, Xbox One/Series or Switch as using physical media, all of them require massive patches or in the case of the switch downloading most of the game and that will stop working).