The ongoing server issues are really taking the shine off of this - even just trying to play my Tour career and the menuing is so slow. And when you actually get in and finish a round you're stuck with it trying to save/load at the end for about three minutes.

It's a real shame, as I'm really enjoying the golf itself.

On 25/08/2020 at 15:25, bm said:

See you on the fairway! (Is that something golfers say?)

We tend to clean our dimpled balls, put on our lurid slacks and shout, “Golfy! Golfy! Golfy!”

Then spend four hours going nowhere near any fairways. At least that’s my experience.

12 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I will take a look later! Do we just have a set time to try and get the best score? Or limited attempts?

I believe you only play one round, but you have a week to do so. It's pretty windy out there so wrap up warm.

(Would be interested to see if it cuts in any footage of my round to yours, like they do in the PGA mode.)

47 minutes ago, bm said:

I believe you only play one round, but you have a week to do so. It's pretty windy out there so wrap up warm.

(Would be interested to see if it cuts in any footage of my round to yours, like they do in the PGA mode.)

Didn't get a chance to play last night... Will have a go later. I'll let you know if you make any appearance! 

Yeah, I’ve joined the Rllmuk Society and will play a round.

I’m pretty terrible - getting +20- + 30. Not making it easy of myself by sticking to playing on the Joycons, Pro Difficulty with Swing timing on too.

In a fit of impulsiveness - I bought it on PS4 too - nicer having the crowd, but Switch will get a lot more play overall due to handheld.

20 hours ago, ilpostino said:

The ongoing server issues are really taking the shine off of this - even just trying to play my Tour career and the menuing is so slow. And when you actually get in and finish a round you're stuck with it trying to save/load at the end for about three minutes.

It's a real shame, as I'm really enjoying the golf itself.

That is a shame. It's been working fine for me since that initial go (on ps4). Had some great rounds with friends just shooting the breeze and been plodding along the KF Tour.

Played a crazy one by the sea last night (Lighthouse?) last night. Had to be precise to say the least along with scary height changes. Grabbed the lead at the 15th after hanging in there all the way round and blew it on the 17th & 18th. Still, you live and learn.

What's the criteria for getting on PGA Tour again, I think I've done it with one to play but can't seem to find it?

On 27/08/2020 at 07:06, bm said:

It didn't include any cuts to your performance. I posted a terrible score. I am getting better though!

Did you set the weather conditions? It was blowing a gale out there!!

I can get to +2 on the Q School course on PS4. On Switch with joycons - I’ve turned off the swing timing. It’s just too hard to get a reasonable score - I’m +20+ with joycons and swing timing and -2 to -5 with no swing timing. Playing on Pro on both machines.

4gb update on PS4 today.

On 26/08/2020 at 13:49, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

The thing measured is the forward push. Too fast and the ball veers left and too slow, it veers right.

See I'm not sure this is true anymore... Try doing a really slow down push and then a fast/normal forward push, the game puts it on the extreme right of slow. I can't find much consistency in this still after about 8 hours with it, might give up and trade it towards the Tony Hawk remake :(

• 2 months later...

Maybe I'm so far removed from what's deemed as acceptable quality for a game these days, because I only ever play on the Switch and even then it's mostly Nintendo developed/published games, but I have no idea how this was deemed good enough for release on the Switch.

It's easily the glitchiest, bug ridden game I've ever played. Since getting it on Saturday (£33 in the sale), so far I've experienced 

• frequent fatal system crashes causing the game to be forced quit
  • times when the player and green blacks out with the only way to progress is to make a putt, but it's impossible to see where you're aiming so you lose a shot
  • certain button presses not being recognised at all for 5-10 seconds, in particular the a button
  • the game freezing for a few seconds in mid game
  • frame rate dropping to 2-3 frames a second
  • game freezing when trying to load user designed courses
  • every fucking time I play the game I have to agree to let 2K games access my Nintendo account and every fucking time I get an email from Nintendo telling me this has happened
  • insane load times - what feels like 5 minutes to get into the main menu and loading user designed courses can take up to 5 minutes

Those are the major bug issues but other gameplay issues are:

• the wind seems to be completely inconsistent in how it affects your ball flight, making it really difficult to choose your shot shape, direction and club
  • the heavy rough has random affects on your ball, sometimes it feels like how rough would affect you in real life, other times it has absolutely no affect at all and you overshoot
  • the fairway has random impact on how your ball will bounce, if you're looking to 'feed' the ball into the green with a longer club, like a fairway wood, the ball can wildly bounce off to the left or right, which in real life would need a pretty big mound to have that sort of impact. The only option is to land the ball directly on the green, which isn't great for links style courses and random when trying to eagle a Par 5
  • the swing mechanics appear to be random, but I'm not sure if this is down to the inconsistent frame rate having an impact on the precision of the joy con input
  • the green speeds and lie impact are like Augusta turned up to 11

Now I understand that the Switch may have limitations which have resulted in the major bugs above, but the gameplay issues look like they're consistent across all the versions.

This is the first console golf game I've played since Tiger Woods 2012 and despite all the bullshit EA managed to add into the game, it's nothing compared to what 2K games have managed with this. But comparing it to the pinnacle of Tiger Woods in 03/04 and PGA 2K21 is so far away from it in terms of quality and fun, it's unbelievable. And we're talking about a game that's nearly 20 years old beating this....

It's a real shame because underneath all of the problems, there's potential for a really good game. I'll give it a bit more time and see if I can put up with all of the crap. There's some excellent user created courses and that's a brilliant feature, but I really can't believe this was deemed as acceptable quality for release.

But like I said at the start, maybe most games are like this these days!

Haven't played this for a long while but didn't experiment most of what you have. My main issue was occasionally my player would be replaced by a solid black character model. The lack of a crowd on the switch version is also annoying but I knew about it before purchase. 

I certainly have only had the 2k games thing pop up once. Have you actually linked your account and accepted it all? 

It has randomly crashed on me a few times and the load times are excessive. I still enjoyed the actual golfing. 

Picked this up for PS4 over the weekend with some trade-ins. What a lovely round of golf!

Feels good, including a much more intuitive putting system compared to the previous Golf Club games, where I struggled massively on the greens. Looks good too, solid presentation without being too fussy.

I’m still instinctively going to press L1 during my backswing after years of Tiger Woods though. But with this feel like every birdie is earned, and the lie and wind all have a greater impact, just as they should.

Think this will nicely do the job for quick 20-30 minute sessions, something my library has lacked recently.

19 hours ago, glb said:

Picked this up for PS4 over the weekend with some trade-ins. What a lovely round of golf!

Feels good, including a much more intuitive putting system compared to the previous Golf Club games, where I struggled massively on the greens. Looks good too, solid presentation without being too fussy.

I’m still instinctively going to press L1 during my backswing after years of Tiger Woods though. But with this feel like every birdie is earned, and the lie and wind all have a greater impact, just as they should.

Think this will nicely do the job for quick 20-30 minute sessions, something my library has lacked recently.

I’ve just started playing this too after my son bought it in the sale and I’m really enjoying it. Playing on PS5 with the Dualsense feels really good, even without any haptic gubbins.

Playing on PRO difficulty, gone through Q School, Korn Ferry Tour and now about to start my 3rd PGA Tour event. I’ve setup the PGA with 2 rounds so that I have a cut to make and so that I get a 2nd round to improve. The presentation is great, commentary seems good with 3 different commentators, cuts to watch other players during the round adds atmosphere and it seems highly customisable in terms of difficulty. At the moment I like the default 3 putt previews that you can use in PRO difficulty.

I’ve played one online match against my son and that was mostly solid with a little bit of lag briefly when I was watching one or two of his shots (but fine when taking my own shots) and I’m also enjoying the quick 3 round matchup against randoms.

There are a few commentary bugs (he’s plugged in that bunker, er no I’m not) and the odd graphic glitch here and there (one pro was walking on water during a cut scene) but I can forgive those as I’m really enjoying the golf it plays.

Summerlin is a fantastic course for practicing on. Haven’t looked at real results there but imagine -20 scores aren’t too uncommon for pro tournaments.

On the PGA Tour now. Maintain it’s a lovely round of golf. Upgrades feel a little slower to attain than other games but that’s not a negative. Having to think about most shots is exactly what a round of golf entails; just being able to muscle through courses is entertaining but ultimately less rewarding. It’s a great feeling when you risk a tricky line on this and nail the shot.

32 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

What do you mean by upgrades? Do you get golf clubs unlocks like clothing?

Yeah, meant clubs specifically, which are then an upgrade on those in your bag.

At the minute my driver is reaching around 275 plus carry. Can’t remember the course but was struggling to reach some par 4s in regulation off the Tour tees, which was actually quite refreshing.

20 minutes ago, glb said:

Yeah, meant clubs specifically, which are then an upgrade on those in your bag.

At the minute my driver is reaching around 275 plus carry. Can’t remember the course but was struggling to reach some par 4s in regulation off the Tour tees, which was actually quite refreshing.

Ah ok, I haven’t had any equipment upgrades yet. 

I’ve only upgraded a driver and iron as the in game currency is fairly slow in coming.

Assuming completing certain sponsorships will unlock more clubs though, so will just keep plugging away at those.

I didn't realise we had a club/ society for this, I'll look into joining as I've finished the tour twice round now on normal I think it was. Good bit of golf but it does look a bit jank imho. Although I do prefer not losing between every hole and loads of courses rather than one photo realistic 18 that loads all the time. 

It's really quite weird how well i know various golf courses around the world only from playing golf games and the strange flashbacks/ deja vu I get when I get to a course I played on one of the tiger woods games about 15 years ago.

50 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Is the rllmuk society switch only? Is there a ps4 one at all?

Foreveralone.jpg

I’m PS4 Gumby! Happy to have a round, we can drink festive hats and put our drinks on... wait.

As expected, first round at Sawgrass was like putting on an old pair of jeans. So many rounds there during the Tiger years that every hole feels familiar (missus)

The cutaways to other pros are hilarious. Had one where the fella chipped it in and then there was a good few seconds of seeing his stony face before he broke into a gurning, uncanny valley grin. Lovely stuff.

25 minutes ago, glb said:

I’m PS4 Gumby! Happy to have a round, we can drink festive hats and put our drinks on... wait.

As expected, first round at Sawgrass was like putting on an old pair of jeans. So many rounds there during the Tiger years that every hole feels familiar (missus)

The cutaways to other pros are hilarious. Had one where the fella chipped it in and then there was a good few seconds of seeing his stony face before he broke into a gurning, uncanny valley grin. Lovely stuff.

Aha! I'm being an idiot clearly old bean :) I'll make a rllmuk society for ps4 then and we can see what happens with it, not tried any of the online yet. 

I juts picked this up. Haven't had a gold game for years but they're always a nice addition. You can tell this will be good as soon as it starts with the nicely presented tutorial. All games should have something like that - here's what you need to know, now off you fuck.

I just made a society for ps4 called "club rllmuk" I made it private just in case but didn't really know what else was going on (but I did make a stupid logo as I'm an idiot).

Let me know if you want an invite, I'll start an event as well but similarly don't know what I'm doing there either :lol:

Edit: I can't quite work out how to add new members embarrassingly enough :facepalm: