DIRT 5 - November 2020

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Is this all about Rallycross now? Is there any traditional rallying in there at all?

There's a variety of event types, none of which are really related to ACTUAL rallying or rallycross (such as in DiRT Rally 2.0).

Consider this more to be a successor of sorts to DiRT 2, which streamlined rallying (crazy stages, basic pacenotes), rallycross (even crazier stadium circuits, no joker lap) and adds more crazy event types, like hillclimbs of sorts, in monstrous off-road machines.

So yeah, this will be more of a general, arcade-oriented 'racing on loose surface' game. Like DiRT 2, in my opinion (a game which I very much enjoyed by the way).

On 08/10/2020 at 17:58, djbhammer said:

This is shaping up really nicely. Day 1 for my Series X without a doubt and look forward to the extra shinies!

One of the better videos I’ve seen, water splashing up, dust everywhere and cars getting dirty. Nice :).

My Xbox copy preloaded this morning - 53GB. Pointless for me because I'm waiting for the Series X version next month so I'll have to download it again. 

22 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

My Xbox copy preloaded this morning - 53GB. Pointless for me because I'm waiting for the Series X version next month so I'll have to download it again. 

Same, mine downloaded last night. Although it is out a week or so before the Series X releases.

Why does this look so bad? I don’t get it! There’s PC footage that looks pretty tasty but the Series X footage (and I guess the PS5 version too) looks proper shoddy. It’s not exactly a looker yet it’s dropping frames constantly, has massive pop up similar to the Halo Infinite demo, draw in and screen tearing! Wtf!?!? 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MattKB said:

@moosegrinder have you tried the sprint cars? It’s almost like mine is broken as my opponents just rinse me. 

Yep, abandoned it. It's absolute garbage, that event. Even turning all the assists on/off doesn't help.

Also is vibration completely broken for you?

3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Sounds like the usual bullshit where those paying more for the more expensive edition with early access will be finishing beta testing it.

Personally I'm reviewing it, I didn't know they'd pulled an EA with it.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Personally I'm reviewing it, I didn't know they'd pulled an EA with it.

Not an EA as on PC with e.g. Dirt Rally but early access on 3/11 for the Amplified Edition rather than general release on 6/11.

15 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Not an EA as on PC with e.g. Dirt Rally but early access on 3/11 for the Amplified Edition rather than general release on 6/11.

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant by pulling an EA.

@Dimahoo yep, tearing on performance mode on One X. I only notice it occasionally which doesn't excuse it. It's definitely a thing. Not tried it on the pretty setting yet.

EDIT: 4.1gb update, will report back in a bit.

11 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I was waiting for you to post Joe, surprised you've only just got it.

Review codes for current-gen were only sent out late last week and I only got back to work today. And apparently the next-gen version arrived a while sooner already for some X Series X and/or PS5 testing media folks, though the embargo on that runs a bit longer.

Also didn't realise this game was made by effectively the old Evolution Studios staff, making it a spiritual successor to WRC, MotorStorm, Driveclub and OnRush!

Basically it's the most Dirt game. It's ALL the Dirt game. It's chucking 600bhp monstrosities around corners sideways on ice to RAWK MOOSIC with lurid day-glo, chunky-fonted branding. It scratches an itch I have from playing Forza Horizon 4 in that I'm not given free reign to use any car I like. I like having that "Use x or y" direction.