DIRT 5 - November 2020

On 02/12/2020 at 12:43, Jonnycash said:

I have to say i never stick with racing games but god damn i'm loving this bad boy. The game is so fun to play and finding the race difficulty on hard really fun. The races are always neck and neck on the finish line and the graphics are amazing even on framerate mode. The only problem with the game is the online mode. I find it very very basic and needs some work. Is there plans for an update at all online or is that it?

They plan to add lobbies and stuff to multiplayer I believe, at the moment its a joke to be honest so hopefully they sort it out soon! Am enjoying the game on a whole though 

• 1 month later...

My son got this on PS5 over Xmas and I’ve given it a quick blast, just past the first set of events. So far it seems good fun with plenty of variety, it’s arcade racing with little finesse required (wide tracks, plenty bumping and barging) although some events are going to take a bit of practice e.g. sprint races round ovals. I started with Resolution mode but have switched to Image Quality as for some reason that seems smoother to me, looking at the comparison reviews it still targets 60fps and looks great.

In general I’d rate the use of the triggers and haptics in WRC 9 much higher than this, especially for surface feel. The haptics seem a bit overdone so I may turn them down a bit (if you can) but the triggers feel pretty good.

This game is just okay. I'm playing for the first time tonight since my intense Christmas and NY binge. I don't really understand what it's trying to do in career mode. Most races I'm way out in front but then find myself having to drop back just to achieve the objectives e.g. drift and trade paint or I have to slow down just to achieve X number of drifts. It takes the fun out of just trying to win a race.

And I think it's also broken. A number of times I finish an event without achieving all the objectives, but yet in the menu it then shows that all 3 have been achieved. This has happened a number of times.. at least 3 times in an hrs play through tonight.

I'm going to keep going as it's a good game to play whilst chilling and listening to a podcast but it's the most 6/10 game I've played. Especially when you consider the online modes are so basic. 

I wish I could feel more love for it but it's all a bit average. Quite a disappointment IMO.

12 hours ago, Marvin Morris said:

This game is just okay. I'm playing for the first time tonight since my intense Christmas and NY binge. I don't really understand what it's trying to do in career mode. Most races I'm way out in front but then find myself having to drop back just to achieve the objectives e.g. drift and trade paint or I have to slow down just to achieve X number of drifts. It takes the fun out of just trying to win a race.

And I think it's also broken. A number of times I finish an event without achieving all the objectives, but yet in the menu it then shows that all 3 have been achieved. This has happened a number of times.. at least 3 times in an hrs play through tonight.

I'm going to keep going as it's a good game to play whilst chilling and listening to a podcast but it's the most 6/10 game I've played. Especially when you consider the online modes are so basic. 

I wish I could feel more love for it but it's all a bit average. Quite a disappointment IMO.

The objectives are optional. If I recall correctly you receive sponsor bonuses  for achieving them, but they can be ignored. You receive 3 stars for coming first. Two for being in the top 3. One for simply finishing the race.

I maybe missing something really obvious but in the Video options I cannot change the Priorities. It's greyed out and I should be able to select the 120 hz option but no joy. My Series X can output 120hz as Ori works fine.

On 10/01/2021 at 12:45, gossi the dog said:

The objectives are optional. If I recall correctly you receive sponsor bonuses  for achieving them, but they can be ignored. You receive 3 stars for coming first. Two for being in the top 3. One for simply finishing the race.

That all makes sense now. I should stop playing it drunk.

Thanks for pointing that out. Enjoying it a bit more since!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

About time but part of Monday’s up and coming patch.

PS5: Fixes and improvements to address reports of frame rate drops and stutters in all visual modes.

Also some fixes to prevent crashes on both PS5 and XBOX.

On 04/02/2021 at 13:09, Thwomp said:

I'm playing this and I just cannot believe there's no rain or mud splashes on the windscreens. There's not even any spray from the wheels. I'm disappointed.

There is rain on the windscreens. 

I notice no improvements to the framerate on PS5, it could be worse and I’ve turned off the adaptive triggers before it breaks my controller. I don’t know what they’re trying to simulate with them.

I think the main issue is just coming back to this after a weekend of playing WRC 9.

I’m going to keep playing through the campaign as I’m nearly done but.. this game is boring. Not often that I say that about a game, especially racing ones, but this just doesn’t get my excitement levels up like a racing game should.

I've been playing this courtesy of GamePass tonight. I'm surprised I'm actually enjoying it. You can skip all the chatty stuff thankfully and crack on with the races.

Found the first set of races pretty easy TBH - just started on the default settings guessing its a tutorial type set of events. Playing this against AI seems a bit dull and I expect this will be good fun online!

Not a bad effort from Codies to be honest. Not sure if I would have paid £55 for it though. Might have been a little disappointed. Doesn't really feel that much next gen. Frame rate is smooth and the lighting nice though. 

On 23/02/2021 at 06:38, Marvin Morris said:

I’m going to keep playing through the campaign as I’m nearly done but.. this game is boring. Not often that I say that about a game, especially racing ones, but this just doesn’t get my excitement levels up like a racing game should.

I have enjoyed to game but I kind of agree. Races feel like a procession rather than edge of the seat racing. I find I win most races comfortably and I'm far from an elite racer. I know you can increase the difficulty but the lack of good AI means it still doesn't feel like proper racing. 

I do really like some of the tracks but a lot of them are not particularly exciting at all. It's far from a bad game but is just missing that x factor that makes a really great racer. 

31 minutes ago, Mr C said:

I have enjoyed to game but I kind of agree. Races feel like a procession rather than edge of the seat racing. I find I win most races comfortably and I'm far from an elite racer. I know you can increase the difficulty but the lack of good AI means it still doesn't feel like proper racing. 

I do really like some of the tracks but a lot of them are not particularly exciting at all. It's far from a bad game but is just missing that x factor that makes a really great racer. 

Agree. Definitely missing the X-Factor.... Tracks are a little predicable and to a point dull. OnRush (which this kind of feels like with a dash of MotoStorm) for example felt much more adrenaline inducing edge of the seat stuff... In fact both Motorstorm and OnRush were far better IMHO than this. Not that this is bad just feels like a run of the mill off road racing tick boxing exercise. Also I was always at least 10seconds in front of the AI by the end of the second lap. Not sure if it gets any more difficult. I've completed around 10 events so far.

Think I've been spoilt a bit recently as I dug out Sega Rally for the 360 and I've been playing that. Which I found much more challenging than this on the first race. Shame its not backwards compatible.  

34 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Also I was always at least 10seconds in front of the AI by the end of the second lap. Not sure if it gets any more difficult. I've completed around 10 events so far.

Have you turned the difficulty up under Career Difficulty?

Ive enjoyed this so far, after putting in 70 hours into Dirt 4 this is certainly a lot different to that game instead of being more of the same, which I am grateful for.

My biggest criticism would be the American radio hosts and the game trying too hard to be like Forza Horizon, which for me is just annoying. 

If codemasters are allowed to make another Dirt game I hope they go for a more traditional Sega-esque stylised arcade game instead of photo realism with high contrast bright colours, blue skies and a jazzy soundtrack. Could even go the Auto Modellista route and have the game cel-shaded which would be awesome.

The menus in this are horrendous, but at least you can skip all the painful dialogue and cutscenes. 

I had a lot of fun chucking that Škoda Fabia around in the rain and mud. Less so this blue barge they give you:

1JrKEix.jpg

That was taken on Series S in the 120fps mode, which seems to run at about 480p. Still, it’s impressive that it does it at all. 

This is a decent addition to Game Pass. It's disposable fun that does everything passably (aside from the horrible Americanisms... the process of picking your nickname at the start was SUCH an embarrassing decision for a dev team based in the UK)- it looks fairly nice, sounds OK and plays well. A very enjoyable game. I would have felt a bit ripped off if I'd paid £55, so being able to play it for 'free' and not worry about getting my money's worth from it is great.

Starting playing it through gamepass. It's fun but it's an odd game. 

At times it looks like a 360 game, other times it's great. And the choice of events is all over the place. When you have races in 80s, 90s and modern rally cars it's brilliant fun and has a sense of speed but I have maybe had 6 of them through the campaign which I'm at the end of (about 25 races) far too many of the race types are in big chunky shit tanks. 

Also the tracks are all over the place. There's far more bad than good. 

I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Its a solid arcade racer and a 7/10 but it's probably the worst of the Dirt franchise. 

Any word on DLC? When it works this is one of the best arcade racers in a long time. They just need to focus on what works and as with all the games in the series lose the bullshit American classes like Gymkhana and focus on Rally and similar