The Medium (Xbox Series S, X, PC)

35 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Il be honest, as the first true series x first game, I had high expectations and now feel very dissapointed. I know it had a big delay but I thought that was because it was going to be good. This is like silent hill homecoming. At least it was free

That's marketing BS for you though. This could have been done on the Xbox One with some efficient coding I think. Probably even the 360 if I'm honest. There is nothing here really despite what the dev team says that needs a series S or X to implement these ideas. OK perhaps some of the shinies. Maybe. The fundamentals of the game and the experience don't think so.

Silent Hill flicked between two different worlds easy enough on the PS2. OK so here we have split screen but I don't think personally it needs it - in fact I'm playing mostly on my 28" monitor and I find the gameplay experience compromised a bit having to play in two different windows. Rather have a button take you to the spirit world when needed.

Not that its a bad game at all. Really enjoying it however I think some elements don't add much to the game. However I am only a couple of hours in so maybe I'm a bit early to judge....

For the record though don't see this as the first true X|S game in anyway other than it hasn't been optimised to run on earlier consoles. But with a bit of work I think it could easily have - although perhaps the split screen mechanic might have had to be tweaked. Perhaps it was put in there to try and demonstrate the new consoles power rather than anything else. Who knows. Guess I'll find out if it's a gimmick or not when I keep playing this weekend.

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

That's marketing BS for you though. This could have been done on the Xbox One with some efficient coding I think. Probably even the 360 if I'm honest. There is nothing here really despite what the dev team says that needs a series S or X to implement these ideas.

Sorry but this cracked me up. Big "we don't need experts!" vibes. :coffee:

I've seen people taking the piss out of it in comparison to demon's souls. Which, sure it's not as impressive. 

There seems to be a notion that it's a first party game that's meant to be a system seller. I don't get it. 

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

Sorry but this cracked me up. Big "we don't need experts!" vibes. :coffee:

:D Well no I'm not a game developer so true don't know the actual details. What I meant so far is the big selling point of the game and the reason why it needs all the extra power so far doesn't really add anything over other things that have been done before (See Silent Hill). 

Anyway. It is what it is I guess. Glad its here and enjoying it and also that its on GamePass. And it's something a bit different to play.

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I've seen people taking the piss out of it in comparison to demon's souls. Which, sure it's not as impressive. 

There seems to be a notion that it's a first party game that's meant to be a system seller. I don't get it. 

Yeah I'd also like to know the relative budget of Demon's Souls, a remake where practically every penny was pumped into the graphics. As far as eastern European indie horror games go, this one actually seems pretty polished.

31 minutes ago, Majora said:

Those are completely unfair expectations you've put upon the game though. Bloober are a small dev team working with a small budget, those expectations you had were really only put on the game out of circumstance (it being the first Series exclusive game which is no fault of Bloober's) rather than because they were realistic.

It is shit though. It's like walk until you cant walk anymore, hold LB, find stuff, walk some more, change world's. Hardly captivating. Justy opinion though and glad others are enjoying it 

16 minutes ago, deerokus said:

No me neither. Demon's Souls is being sold as a AAA game at a RRP of £70 on the Sony store. This is £37 (or £42 at normal RRP) on MS's store right now if you didn't get as part of GamePass. Two very different games, different genre fan bases and different budgets. One a completely new game the other a remaster.

For what it is its a great experience so far. If I'd have paid £70 perhaps I'd be more critical. If £40 happy. On GamePass great. 

7 minutes ago, carlospie said:

It is shit though. It's like walk until you cant walk anymore, hold LB, find stuff, walk some more, change world's. Hardly captivating.

Genuine question: Have you literally never played an adventure game before? And by that I mean point and click games and their modern equivalents.

6 minutes ago, carlospie said:

It is shit though. It's like walk until you cant walk anymore, hold LB, find stuff, walk some more, change world's. Hardly captivating.

Were you confused at the lack of football playing or something? Also you've missed the worst parts which are the parts jammed in to make it more gamelike- the dreaded stealth sections.

Just now, therearerules said:

Were you confused at the lack of football playing or something? Also you've missed the worst parts which are the parts jammed in to make it more gamelike- the dreaded stealth sections.

I don't know what this means.

17 minutes ago, carlospie said:

How long have you had with it? I'm around two hours or so in and I'm having to flick between worlds to progress. The first hour is almost a tutorial on how to use the controls and introducing the concept of split worlds etc. 

Also loved Man Of Medan however that felt more like a TellTale type game (whose games I also enjoy) and this more of an horror puzzler adventure type game. Probably why I'm enjoying it.... The music is awesome too. :)

I'd say give it a bit more time. Especially if you've just started moving through the hotel.... Oh and if you have headphones kicking about play it with them on too! 

2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I got three hours into it so gave it a fair crack of the whip, with headphones! Clearly just not for me 

Ah fair enough. Early days for me I guess... think its around 10 or so hours long...

28 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Well I suppose in the absence of any actual first party titles this game has had more attention and expectation placed upon it than would normally be the case, which is both a blessing and a curse. I like Bloober Team games but they’ve never been ones to push boundaries, and performance wise they’ve always been a bit dodgy - Observer seemed to run about as well as it did on an Xbox One X as it did on Switch :wacko:

Goddamn the jank in this is infuriating. Died a whole bunch of times during a chase sequence because my character wouldn't position themselves correctly to activate the context-sensitive button. Each time I had to do the 30 second walk back to the chase sequence in which run was disabled

After the camera zoomed so far out the whole background was an indistinct grey-blue blur whilst I achieved something?

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

That's marketing BS for you though. This could have been done on the Xbox One with some efficient coding I think. Probably even the 360 if I'm honest.

At 480p maybe, yeah. :lol: But I have to admit, and I've said it before, I was expecting so much more from MS's first genuine Xbox Series X/S exclusive. I mean, compare this to Demons Souls on PS5...

mx.gif

Thing is, I'm actually enjoying The Medium but come on. Is this really all they have to really showcase their new consoles after almost three months? Christ, what the fuck!! 

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Calling it Microsoft's first Series X exclusive is like calling Godfall "Sony's exclusive PS5 game."

The Medium is developed and published by Bloober.

Absolute nonsense! Who it's published by is completely irrelevant. 

Isn’t the angle here the subscription model though? @Thor  but seriously what is the deal with their exclusives. Why are they so much worse then in the 360 era. Seems like they’ve lost their ability to develop anything above an 8.5. Or any new new franchises that are any good. Regardless of the amount of money they throw at the problem. 

8 minutes ago, Oz said:

Isn’t the angle here the subscription model though? @Thor  but seriously what is the deal with their exclusives. Why are they so much worse then in the 360 era. Seems like they’ve lost their ability to develop anything above an 8.5. Or any new new franchises that are any good. Regardless of the amount of money they throw at the problem. 

Last year Ori got a MC rating of 90 and Flight Simulator got 91. They're doing better than people give them credit for. 

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

So, this any good then or what?

If you go in expecting a Silent Hill/Resi style horror, then it'll probably be the worst pile of shit you've ever played. If you go into it as a narrative psychological horror then there's a decent story in there. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

So, this any good then or what?

Some half decent ideas buried in loads of jank. Dull for the most part, but some boring stretches, such that I almost fell asleep twice whilst playing it.  Weirdly there's a really strong idea (mild spoiler)

Spoiler

Horror Psychonauts

buried in there towards the end of the game, but not enough of it. Horrible stealth sections.

44 minutes ago, Radish said:

Remake of an 11 year old game.

Point I was making is it you've played it before then it's the same game logic AI etc etc with revamped graphics and sound.

Sure it's rebuilt from the ground up. It's still 11 year old mechanics and AI. Anyhow not sure how PS5 and Demons Souls got into this thread! :)

The Medium never was intended to be a showcase title for any of the new consoles well I was never under that impression anyway :) I can see why people had greater expectations of it though I guess.