What are you watching? Share your shows.

I watched the second Euphoria special episode last night - this one focusing on Jules. I really like this show - very little happens and it's so overwrought and melodramatic - but I love the style of it. Great music and acting and I'm really looking forward to season 2, whenever it arrives. 

1 hour ago, denisb said:

Currently binging the shield which is great 

I binged dead pixels on all4 yesterday great game nerd comedy 

Bingeing this today - disappointing expansions, pop star concerts in-game, swatting a rival, virtual sex and long download times, great material.

We’re watching The Serpent. I’m not really sure it’s that good. The time hopping is ridiculous and adds nothing and there’s just no importance or gravity to anything. It’s all about murder and terrible things that have happened, but they just sort of tell you about them rather than showing you anything. Even a humdrum beating is done in another room and drowned out by a transistor radio. It’s like a weightless montage of things and you don’t really get a chance to care about anything. Maybe it picks up I dunno.

Also enjoying Married at First Sight Australia, or MAFSA if you’re in the know. It gets better with every series.

Continuing to make the most of Britbox we started White House Down Farm last night. Coincidentally I'd added this to my Netflix watch list while browsing their 'coming soon' section a few days ago. If it's a whodunnit, it's a crap one as it's obviously the brother after one episode, but it's watchable enough stuff, and Stephen Graham's scouse/Welsh accent is hilarious.

Season 2 of Titans which is ok, but nothing special and has far too many training bits. 

Made it a whole 15 minutes into Another Life before binning it. Just a collection of utterly unlikeable characters and a really weird looking Starbuck with a poorly thought out plot. Why do Netflix struggle with space set sci fi so much?

On 26/01/2021 at 13:49, Jammy said:

we’re currently powering through ‘Superstore’. Reminds me a bit of ‘Parks & Rec’ and ‘Community’ in tone so far and we’re both enjoying it.

Also currently on this. Almost finished season 5, then I'll have to find some way to watch the 6th and final season as it won't be on Netflix for a while. On Rottentomatoes, Season 1 has a 64% rating and all subsequent seasons have 100%. I watched it on that basis as I had to see how it drastically improved after season 1. I don't think it's quite a 100% show, but I do feel it improved massively after season 1. Barely got a single laugh out of me until the last couple of episodes of series 1, then it got its hooks in and I haven't been able to stop watching, and as it's gone on I've found some of it laugh out loud funny. I've even ended up liking Dina, when I found her to be almost unwatchable in the first series. Really fun show after a very shaky start. 

Just finished The Investigation. Absolutely superb. The Danish really are the best when it comes to making TV dramas. The choice to focus solely on the police work and the victims family worked so well, and made everything hit home so hard at the end.

On iPlayer for anyone interested. Highly recommended.

6 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Just finished The Investigation. Absolutely superb. The Danish really are the best when it comes to making TV dramas. The choice to focus solely on the police work and the victims family worked so well, and made everything hit home so hard at the end.

Great isn't it? I'm only on episode 3 but it's so refreshing not to have intrusive music telling you how to feel all the time. The closest thing to it is 24 Hours in Police Custody, which is the biggest compliment I can pay.

I also love that the subtitles are double size, I hope this becomes more prevalent.

7 hours ago, Bazjam said:

The choice to focus solely on the police work and the victims family worked so well, and made everything hit home so hard at the end.

Agree. The decision not to show the accused at all was unusual but worked really well I felt.

Last season of Jessica Jones done. Onto season 2 of the Punisher to finish off watching the Netflix Marvel stuff, which has been generally decent if not amazing (as might be surmised from the length of time taken to get through them all).

I'm alternating this with The Shield. Finished the first season and I'm interested to see which way they go on how dark it could get. And I've got season 2 of Snowpiercer to start watching, too. Hope Sean Bean's good in this.

Just finished watching The Last Kingdom & so in a Viking frame of mind I have made a start on Vikings on Amazon.

Also currently watching Wandavision & The Stand.  Watched a couple of episodes of Star Trek Lower Decks, but despite being a massive Trekkie it's not really doing it for me so far.

Rewatching Cowboy Bebop again, seeing as I suddenly discovered it was on Channel 4 catch-up in its entirety.

Still as joyous and wonderful as it ever was, although I'd love to see a nicely remastered clean up on it some time.

On 06/02/2021 at 22:11, JoeK said:

Rewatching Cowboy Bebop again, seeing as I suddenly discovered it was on Channel 4 catch-up in its entirety.

Still as joyous and wonderful as it ever was, although I'd love to see a nicely remastered clean up on it some time.

I know. I tried to find a good blu ray or something but couldn't find anything. When does the movie fit in with the series. I'm not sure I've ever seen it to its conclusion.  Brilliant show though. 

51 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

I know. I tried to find a good blu ray or something but couldn't find anything. When does the movie fit in with the series. I'm not sure I've ever seen it to its conclusion.  Brilliant show though. 

Apparently between episodes 23 and 24, but quite honestly I don’t think it matters too much in the scheme of things.

I’ve just watched Teachers all the way through again. Well, most of the way as I had to abandon ship of the dreadful forth series. I wouldn’t say it’s aged fantastically well, but it is still funny. The soundtrack and styling of it dates it horribly though, and it’s not even really that old. Also, the way the main characters just vanish into thin air, never to be mentioned again is bizarre. I’m never sure if that was a decision or if actors left and they couldn’t be arsed to write it into the show. Makes even less sense as they make a real song and dance when Simon comes and goes. Worth a sit through just for the storyline of Bob awakening to the fact he has a baguette cock.

For the last 3 weeks or so I've been watching Breaking Bad via Netflix - I'm only a decade late to the show, but what a show. It has pretty much everything you could ask for: great characters, great relationships between those characters, amazing storylines and arcs, cracking dialogue, tension, horror, humour, perfect pacing, beautiful visuals and sound. It's such a complete package. I'm nearing the end of season 4, so feeling a bit sad there's not all that much left. 

35 minutes ago, Chosty said:

For the last 3 weeks or so I've been watching Breaking Bad via Netflix - I'm only a decade late to the show, but what a show. It has pretty much everything you could ask for: great characters, great relationships between those characters, amazing storylines and arcs, cracking dialogue, tension, horror, humour, perfect pacing, beautiful visuals and sound. It's such a complete package. I'm nearing the end of season 4, so feeling a bit sad there's not all that much left. 

Yeah, but then you can go watch Better Call Saul :) 

On 06/02/2021 at 16:56, Mawdlin said:

The closest thing to it is 24 Hours in Police Custody, which is the biggest compliment I can pay.

That sounds great! I'm slightly obsessed with those behind the scenes police documentaries that C4 and the BBC have been doing. There's something so compelling about the mundane-looking office work being centered around horrible crimes.

Is The Investigation streaming anywhere?

iplayer!

52 minutes ago, Chosty said:

Is that good, then? Presumably a lighter tone?

Better Call Saul is in a league of its own. It's very deceptively dark in tone with Odenkirk having a more comedic tendency compared to Cranston's intensity but it goes to some very dark and tragic places. It's really a 3-way affair though between Mike, Nacho and Jimmy with a supporting cast that is peerless and it get's the balance just right jumping between the plot strands. It's proper fucking ace mate, watch it. I get sad when I remember that it's still another year away.

24 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Better Call Saul is in a league of its own. It's very deceptively dark in tone with Odenkirk having a more comedic tendency compared to Cranston's intensity but it goes to some very dark and tragic places. It's really a 3-way affair though between Mike, Nacho and Jimmy with a supporting cast that is peerless and it get's the balance just right jumping between the plot strands. It's proper fucking ace mate, watch it. I get sad when I remember that it's still another year away.

Great to hear. Will definitely watch it once I'm done with BB.

Cobra Kai

which is utterly amazing and might just end up as one of my favourite tv shows of all time.

Raised by Wolves

Im not sure if I’m enjoying this or am just watching it because of its uniqueness. A more experienced cast would have helped and there was a serious drop in quality once Scott stopped directing episodes. 

Fringe

my rewatch continues and it’s still as brilliant as ever. What an impeccable cast. 

didn’t get far with either Mindhunters or Haunting of Hill House. Most of these Netflix shows leave me cold.

I'm really hooked on Billions. Paul Giamatti is a prosecutor, Damian Lewis is a billionaire hedge fund guy. The two of them are pathologically obsessed with fucking the other over via increasingly complex schemes.

It's just the right amount of silly balanced by a cast of great actors.  Paul Giamatti gradually turning into Nicolas Cage as he crosses more and more lines through the series is wonderful. 

On 06/02/2021 at 09:57, Bazjam said:

On 06/02/2021 at 16:56, Mawdlin said:

Great isn't it? I'm only on episode 3 but it's so refreshing not to have intrusive music telling you how to feel all the time. The closest thing to it is 24 Hours in Police Custody, which is the biggest compliment I can pay.

I also love that the subtitles are double size, I hope this becomes more prevalent.

This is superb, thanks for the recommendations. I've accidentally watched four episodes in a row, it's so understated and utterly gripping.

The end of the

Spoiler

cadaver dog

saga was so emotionally effecting, I almost had tears in my eyes. And it didn't need a soaring orchestral score to do it!

Yes The Investigation is excellent. I'd recommend the film A Hijacking by the same director. Similar approach of very realistic, unsensationalised tension, this time about a cargo ship being hijacked by Somali pirates. Soren Malling is in it as well and is equally excellent.