What are you watching? Share your shows.

4 hours ago, PK said:

This is superb, thanks for the recommendations. I've accidentally watched four episodes in a row, it's so understated and utterly gripping.

The end of the

Hide contents

cadaver dog

saga was so emotionally effecting, I almost had tears in my eyes. And it didn't need a soaring orchestral score to do it!

That moment was so brilliantly handled. A lesser director would have really over blown it. But instead it’s just quietly powerful and emotional.

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yes The Investigation is excellent. I'd recommend the film A Hijacking by the same director. Similar approach of very realistic, unsensationalised tension, this time about a cargo ship being hijacked by Somali pirates. Soren Malling is in it as well and is equally excellent. 

Yes, I’ve been meaning to watch this for years. Just seen it’s on Prime as well.

1 minute ago, Bazjam said:

That moment was so brilliantly handled. A lesser director would have really over blown it. But instead it’s just quietly powerful and emotional.

Yeah, it was beautiful.

Spoiler

I loved that there was a moment 2 or 3 minutes beforehand which would have been the 'traditional' point to have the payoff, but instead there's just more disappointment and the crescendo you think you're building towards never comes and just sort of peters out.

It gives the actual discovery, when it comes, such a strong sense of relief rather than just satisfaction. It's masterfully done.

This is a very interesting article by Tobias Lindholm about his intentions behind the series' focus:. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jan/18/the-investigation-drama-kim-wall-killer-tobias-lindholm

Thanks again for the recommendation, finished it tonight and was an absolute mess by the end!

F1 Drive to Survive (Season 1)

I like F1 a lot but there's no question the last couple of seasons have been dire. The snorefest that is watching Hamilton win every race and massively outclass his teammate, Bottas, (the only person with any real chance of beating him in the drivers championship) has been awful. At least when Rosberg was still driving there was some genuine competition and tension.

Watching races live naturally concentrates the action at the front of the grid so it's refreshing that this documentary series focuses on the mid-field battles and the driver and team rivalries that usually get sidelined.

It exposes the soapy bitching, war of words and naked ambition we rarely hear about on the BBC or Sky. I particularly enjoyed Magnussen telling Hulkenberg to 'suck my balls'.

In any case, although this is a few years old now it's great entertainment. Looking forward to season 2.

Zero Zero Zero is on Nowtv in the UK and is easily the best thing I've watched this year (Along with Adam Curtis' new series on iPlayer). It's from the writer of the truly excellent Gomorrah.

@Bazjam made a thread for it, read that for more info.

On 06/02/2021 at 09:26, Bazjam said:

New drama series now on Sky Atlantic from the same writer and director as Gomorrah. It follows the cocaine business across three different countries, America/Mexico/Italy, tracing the same deal from each prospective.

Its definitely cut from the same cloth as Gomorrah, but on a much larger scale and budget. The cast are all great, and includes the always brilliant Andrea Riseborough. There’s also a brilliant score provided by Mogwai.

I’m currently only two episodes in, but really liking what I’ve seen so far.

I'm just finishing up season 1 of Gomorrah and really loving it. It's really intense though so I'm only watching 1 episode every day or two. I'll probably go straight into season 2.

Also watching season 4 of Search Party. I loved the first two seasons of this, s3 was good but lost it's way slightly. This is very strange and really feels like a different show to the millennial-murder-mystery I loved. I'll stick with it thought because the cast are all a delight.  

8 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I'm just finishing up season 1 of Gomorrah and really loving it. It's really intense though so I'm only watching 1 episode every day or two. I'll probably go straight into season 2.

Also watching season 4 of Search Party. I loved the first two seasons of this, s3 was good but lost it's way slightly. This is very strange and really feels like a different show to the millennial-murder-mystery I loved. I'll stick with it thought because the cast are all a delight.  

Still mad no one is showing season 3 over here yet. Love Search Party!

Yeah S4 of Search Party got weird. Y'all should check out High Maintenance if you can, it occasionally pops up on NowTV but in the absence of consistent HBO content screened in the UK I think the high seas would be the best place to pick up the 4 HBO produced seasons, it was originally a web show on vimeo. It basically follows a weed dealer as he delivers weed in and around the hipster parts of Brooklyn and concentrates on one or two of his groups of customers per episodes. It's a wonderful show, funny, poignant, smart and quirky. As it progresses we learn a bit more about The Guy. The webisodes are really good too and worth hunting down too.

I watched Documental (Prime) it's a Japanese competition where 10 comedians put in a Million Yen each, then locked up together for 6 hours and anybody who laughs gets evicted. It's a strange show with some humor not translating too well, but there's a definite feeling of honor and dignity there that gets thrown out the window for penis based humor and pain. It really means something to these guys, Australia has there own version (Last One Laugh) which isn't bad, but you don't get that pride or gamble with it (plus the host is Rebel Wilson which sucks a little).

Started the HBO docuseries McMillion$ (Sky/NOWTV) Very enjoyable six-part crime caper detailing fraudulent winners of McDonald’s hugely popular Monopoly promotion.

Agent Doug Matthews is reason enough alone to watch the remarkable case unfold.

23 hours ago, Minion said:

Yeah S4 of Search Party got weird. Y'all should check out High Maintenance if you can, it occasionally pops up on NowTV but in the absence of consistent HBO content screened in the UK I think the high seas would be the best place to pick up the 4 HBO produced seasons, it was originally a web show on vimeo. It basically follows a weed dealer as he delivers weed in and around the hipster parts of Brooklyn and concentrates on one or two of his groups of customers per episodes. It's a wonderful show, funny, poignant, smart and quirky. As it progresses we learn a bit more about The Guy. The webisodes are really good too and worth hunting down too.

My laptop is knackered, I only use my phone for internet stuff so I can’t do that anymore. I even tried to buy it but you can only buy the first two seasons over here. 

Ah the glory days of me grabbing so many shows and getting up at 6 to watch Lost before work. Good times!

Oh hang on you meant for High Maintenance but I guess the same goes for Search Party!

On 06/02/2021 at 22:00, James Lyon said:

I'm alternating this with The Shield. Finished the first season and I'm interested to see which way they go on how dark it could get. 

Just finished s7 of this - well worth the time investment I'd say.

Obviously do not read if you've not seen the whole thing:

Spoiler

Thought it was ok for the first couple of seasons - a bit closer to procedural crime drama than expected and not as relentlessly 'tense' as I'd characterise some more recent shows as. BUT.....fuck, what it does really well is build up this increasingly unsustainable house of cards over several seasons until 'oh no, the consequences of my actions' and things begin to spiral under their own momentum. Obviously takes a while to set up, but they dont rush it and very much feels like something they had all planned out well in advance. Some great on-screen partnerships too. And some brilliant supporting guest roles.

4 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Just finished s7 of this - well worth the time investment I'd say.

Obviously do not read if you've not seen the whole thing:

Reveal hidden contents

Thought it was ok for the first couple of seasons - a bit closer to procedural crime drama than expected and not as relentlessly 'tense' as I'd characterise some more recent shows as. BUT.....fuck, what it does really well is build up this increasingly unsustainable house of cards over several seasons until 'oh no, the consequences of my actions' and things begin to spiral under their own momentum. Obviously takes a while to set up, but they dont rush it and very much feels like something they had all planned out well in advance. Some great on-screen partnerships too. And some brilliant supporting guest roles.

I'm still on season 2! It's interesting seeing the kind of things that were hot button issues in the early 2000s: a closeted gay policeman, Muslim panic. Other than that, it hasn't dated too much. Some of the stuff, like the race issues, are still depressingly with us.

I don't really watch new shows anymore since I stopped getting them from the high seas a few years ago so I'm currently on a late 00s nostalgia trip rewatching shows from when I did. I've just finished rewatching Chuck  which is still great fun and while the plots can be very dumb the characters really make it worth watching to the very end.  I am currently making my way through Warehouse 13 which thanks to the cast using in universe Farnsworth's to communicate instead of mobile phones it isn't aged by mobile phone tech like Chuck was. Once I've finished Warehouse 13 which only had 60 odd episodes I'll be revisiting Fringe next, 

White House Farm

Really good real life police drama featuring Mark Addy and Stephen Graham based on the murder on a family inside a farm house in the mid 1980s.  Some excellent performances - well worth a watch (it's on Netflix)

Outer Banks

This is fucking AWFUL with a terrible cast of shit characters who can't act...... But there's a sub plot about buried treasure and a ship wreck.  I'm all over shit like this - not finished it yet because it's plodding on but if there's some hard core ship wreck action, I think my patience will be rewarded.

Working our way through season 2 of The Bay (ITV) and the second set of McDonald & Dodds (also ITV).

The latter is basically Death in Paradise moved to Somerset and gender swapped, so you have the lead detective as the good-looking young woman (but still have the angst of having to move somewhere new) and a quirky older sidekick. A bit Odd Couple, a bit Columbo.

Episode 1 with Rob Brydon and the 1980s throwbacks was fun. Episode 2 they managed to spoil with the title. D’oh!

Spoiler

It was called “We Have To Talk About Doreen”, a clear signal that she was the murderer.

On 03/03/2021 at 10:28, Boothjan said:

Outer Banks

This is fucking AWFUL with a terrible cast of shit characters who can't act...... But there's a sub plot about buried treasure and a ship wreck.  I'm all over shit like this - not finished it yet because it's plodding on but if there's some hard core ship wreck action, I think my patience will be rewarded.

We watched the first series last year and I couldn't agree more. It's so dumb but the core mystery was interesting enough to pull us through. Weirdly I'm quite looking forward to series 2 even though it was terrible.  

We started Wayne last night, only first episode so far but it seems pretty good. 

Also making our way through Modern Family, which is our latest in a long line of easy watching 20 minute American sitcoms. We're nearing the end of season 5 and it still makes me laugh fairly regularly. 

I waited for Search Party to be picked up again over here but eventually caved and downloaded S3 and 4. I really really loved Series 1, it struck such a great tone and played around with TV tropes in a clever and funny way without banging you over the head with it and getting too meta. Also I love Elliot so much. S2 and S3 were still great and were funny and introduced good new characters (especially Dory's lawyer!) albeit maybe without the clever writing that made the first series so good. But yeah S4 is just a bit too weird and I'm not really into the whole imprisonment thing at all. I'm half-way through and I'll definitely finish it, but does feel sadly like the show is kinda dead now.

Season 4 of Search Party didn't work for me either. It felt like they thought Dory had got away too lightly or something and decided to put her through it as a punishment. Portia and Elliot were still great though.

I finished up season 3 of Gomorrah. By half way through season 2 I'd lost track of the betrayals and counter-betrayals but it was still totally addictive viewing. S3 lost it's way slightly by splitting up the main characters for a lot its run and introducing a load of new characters. It was still able to shock though and there were still times I gasped while watching. I'll take a break from it before season 4.

I started watching a new US sci-fi show called Debris. The premise is that an alien spaceship has disintegrated on entry into the earths atmosphere and it's debris is scattered around the World. And that the areas near the debris do weird things to the laws of physics - things start floating, people start acting strangely. And there's a bigger X-Files types government conspiracy. It's pretty good but after only two episodes it's already a bit tired. I'll give it one or two more but it's an easy watch. 

9 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I started watching a new US sci-fi show called Debris. The premise is that an alien spaceship has disintegrated on entry into the earths atmosphere and it's debris is scattered around the World. And that the areas near the debris do weird things to the laws of physics - things start floating, people start acting strangely. And there's a bigger X-Files types government conspiracy. It's pretty good but after only two episodes it's already a bit tired. I'll give it one or two more but it's an easy watch. 

Sounds a bit  Roadside Picnic.

I'm working my way through Chernobyl  at the moment,  I have one episode left. Started out really strongly and has tailed off a little but still a gripping watch, can see why it's universally acclaimed.I realise that it's probably overdramaticsed somewhat   but radiation poisoning does not look like a pleasant way to go.

Obviously late to this particular party, but we're working our way through Succession.

This is god-tier TV. Every single episode is utterly mesmeric, not a single second is wasted.