Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 - remake? remaster? revival? reboot? revert?

7 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

It's in the Extras menu.

This is fantastic, but the menus are a bit of a mess. 

Ah splendid!! The only way I could get back into it twice this weekend was to delete my console and cloud save and re start from the beginning!!

In other news I just popped it on for some pre bed night face plants and there's a 2.9GB update to be downloaded. Wonder what that contains. 

1 hour ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I can't even begin to imagine a time where people played these games with analogue sticks.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. Thanks, rllmuk.

The first one I played a lot of was THPS3 on the Gamecube so I was analogue stick all the way. On dpad now though obviously. The Dual Shock sticks aren't as good for it.

I think it’s just years of picking up the pad and my thumb automatically going to the stick. I have to force myself to move it to the pad. 

I'm finding I’m much better at landing tricks spinning left than right. Which is odd. 

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...

I always used to do multiple flip tricks and spin like Mike McGill, but my thumbs seem to be going for grabs all the time. Need to calm down and plan better.

I also think you used to get more air as you did tricks on half pipes in the original version than you do on this. I remember building speed and height to pull off bigger and bigger tricks back then and it's just not happening now. Some of this might be me not being able to time the boneless, like.

Something I noticed yesterday: in the original PS1 version, the music started and stopped with your run. If you ended your run, a new track started next time. So you heard, at most, 2 minutes of each track. It plays each one all the way through in this, even if you end and restart. Small change, but a great one.

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Something I noticed yesterday: in the original PS1 version, the music started and stopped with your run. If you ended your run, a new track started next time. So you heard, at most, 2 minutes of each track. It plays each one all the way through in this, even if you end and restart. Small change, but a great one.

Yeah I love that, though it’s really weird hearing songs I feel like I know carry on after 2 minutes with new parts I don’t recognise.

I like how the music gets a little bit louder as soon as you fill your Special meter. That's a nice touch, reminiscent of how Burnout 2 pumped the music up when you filled the Burnout meter. More games should do stuff like this, ramp up the HELL YEAH at appropriate moments.

THPS2 100% get. Like a few others, don’t think my dexterity is up to many of the challenges, and things like a 1,000,000 point combo though. I swear I used to be able to chain massive vert scores whereas here I’m lucky if I get up two sides of a HP before losing momentum. Maybe they’re rose-tinted memories!

Really enjoying the game all the same. It’s a beautiful remaster. Once I get THPS complete going to be fun just chilling, finding gaps and lines and dabbling with a bit of multiplayer. And watching good players do insane shit on that YouTube.

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I have definitely inadvertently restarted a run despite having about 45 seconds left because I heard the end of New Girl coming up and wanted to get my new run started ASAP. Amazing what your subconscious can make you do.

23 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Isn't it weird that YouTube didn't even exist when we were all playing this before?

I used to watch the videos that people uploaded to Jed's Videos/GameSpy's Planet Tony Hawk:

https://web.archive.org/web/20061215032221/http://jedsvideos.planettonyhawk.gamespy.com/

Not many of them have been reuploaded to YouTube but I put one of my favourites on my channel - not a high score but a full combo around the perimeter of the Warehouse:

Fly Maggot has posted some high scores from that time:

I was never able to prolong my combos as long as them, but the basic concept of doing a big spin into a long special grind (and increasing that rotation multiplier via a bug that people called "Degree Add-On") was the number one key to high scores!

And then there's this one:

It's odd, as mentioned above, I fell off this almost straight away, but I'm now fully back onboard. Los of skating puns to be had there.

I've worked my way through 1 and have completed every level, except I can't get a gold on Roswell*. Which I never did on the PS1 version. Kinda wish it had gone back to each character resetting the challenges, though. Once you realise the score challenges are easy if you find a half pipe and spam Specials, it all becomes fairly straight forward. No idea how we found all the collectables before YouTube...

* any tips on this? I'm all about the vert and have found a "swimming pool" in the left hand corner from where you start, but I just can't seem to rack up enough points to get into the mid-90s on the scores. The computer cheats, by the way

I got my gold by heading forward and dropping into the second half-pipe you encounter. Spammed the 900 into Indy flips with added spins and tricks. Think around 250k was enough to get gold but I’ll double-check.

I got 100% on 1 and 2 last night. Haven't picked up all the stat points yet, though.

It's odd. I feel like the game was too short for the price (even though I didn't pay actual money for it), despite the fact that it's two games that I paid £40 for in the 90s. Plus a bit more. Which doesn't make sense. I also just didn't think that there was enough of a reward for completing the two games. I'm sure you got videos for just getting through all levels in the originals, then more for getting 100%, but you didn't seem to get much for getting 100% on each game this time around. You get the Bails video for completing a decent amount of the challenges, which I actually just can't see me doing. There only seems to be two extra skaters, which are unlocked by picking up hidden items on each level, but not the loads of unlockables there used to be.

I also think it's a bit of an odd decision to not keep the old format and have the goals reset with each skater. To get all the videos, you need to get all the stat points with all of them but you can't seem to start over with a new character, without having a different login. 

The score challenge and speed run modes are a great idea. Some of the level goals are such an utter ball ache to get (I'm looking at you, secret tape!) that I'm not sure they really fit with all levels. I do like having 2 minutes on the competition stages, though. 

I can't say I'm disappointed in the game, since I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience of playing it. Like really, really enjoyed it. The most I've enjoyed a game for some time, in fact. But I feel like I'm done with it now, where a couple of minor tweaks could have really extended the longevity. 

Done. Completed. Off my pile of shame. Finito. 

Maybe.

I agree about the decision to not have the goals reset being a rare wrong move here. In the originals, once you'd learnt where everything was, picking a new skater, and then trying to rip through the goals as quickly as possible was great fun. Whereas last night I completed a couple of the goals on Downtown. I spent a fair while trying to find the last skate sign, and finding the rooftop gaps, and then realised that I'd never need that knowledge again. It seems like such a daft move.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2020 at 09:57, ScouserInExile said:

I got 100% on 1 and 2 last night. Haven't picked up all the stat points yet, though.

It's odd. I feel like the game was too short for the price (even though I didn't pay actual money for it), despite the fact that it's two games that I paid £40 for in the 90s. Plus a bit more. Which doesn't make sense. I also just didn't think that there was enough of a reward for completing the two games. I'm sure you got videos for just getting through all levels in the originals, then more for getting 100%, but you didn't seem to get much for getting 100% on each game this time around. You get the Bails video for completing a decent amount of the challenges, which I actually just can't see me doing. There only seems to be two extra skaters, which are unlocked by picking up hidden items on each level, but not the loads of unlockables there used to be.

I also think it's a bit of an odd decision to not keep the old format and have the goals reset with each skater. To get all the videos, you need to get all the stat points with all of them but you can't seem to start over with a new character, without having a different login. 

The score challenge and speed run modes are a great idea. Some of the level goals are such an utter ball ache to get (I'm looking at you, secret tape!) that I'm not sure they really fit with all levels. I do like having 2 minutes on the competition stages, though. 

I can't say I'm disappointed in the game, since I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience of playing it. Like really, really enjoyed it. The most I've enjoyed a game for some time, in fact. But I feel like I'm done with it now, where a couple of minor tweaks could have really extended the longevity. 

Done. Completed. Off my pile of shame. Finito. 

Maybe.

That is one abomination of a post.  Get a grip of yourself.