IGNORED

Sim Racing Central

Meers

1 minute ago, Meerman said:

And that's a great setup. @davejm. I need SimDashboard as well, going to take care of that soon (I assume you've got that running on the phone?)

No idea! :D I've seen other people using their phone as a dashboard while playing, but I've got no idea what the software is.  It's something I was going to look into.  SimDashboard ya' say?

I was using the phone arm already - so that I could use my phone as a webcam - so I can just bend it around into the position I need when racing.

What sort of buttons/switches to people map to the phone for use when playing?  It looks like the wheel has a fair amount of buttons too.

17 minutes ago, davejm said:

No idea! :D I've seen other people using their phone as a dashboard while playing, but I've got no idea what the software is.  It's something I was going to look into.  SimDashboard ya' say?

I was using the phone arm already - so that I could use my phone as a webcam - so I can just bend it around into the position I need when racing.

What sort of buttons/switches to people map to the phone for use when playing?  It looks like the wheel has a fair amount of buttons too.

Yeah it's an app where you can use a phone or tablet to add switches/buttons for quick access, or use it as a separate speedometer / rpm display. I used to have it but I didn't see the added value at the time. And a lot of its functionality is unlocked by paying for it, so I gave up and used my keyboard instead but I may get back into it again because it's a lot more intuitive than a keyboard.

A webcam? Do you stream your races?

15 minutes ago, Meerman said:

Yeah it's an app where you can use a phone or tablet to add switches/buttons for quick access, or use it as a separate speedometer / rpm display. I used to have it but I didn't see the added value at the time. And a lot of its functionality is unlocked by paying for it, so I gave up and used my keyboard instead but I may get back into it again because it's a lot more intuitive than a keyboard.

A webcam? Do you stream your races?

Cool I'll take a look at the apps that are available.  What sort of buttons do you typically use from the keyboard when racing?  I'm just starting off with all this so I'm not sure what I'll need apart from being able to start/stop and go around corners! :)  Do people alter brake bias and stuff?  Headlights I guess?

The 'phone as a webcam' thing is just for work.  My laptop webcam is crap, and is actually sat away from me anyway, so this let's me do video during the work conference calls and use my phone as a webcam instead.  

The functions I use during racing are on the wheel's buttons, such as the headlights on/off and flash, windscreen wipers, looking left/right/back, brake bias, ingition, pit limiter, abs and tcs. Other functions that don't have to be accessed during racing per se are on the keyboard, such as pit strategy, pit request, seat and fov adjustment buttons, differential adjusting buttons, etc.

Or you could buy one of these... :D 

image.thumb.png.6e4c14f8968641b0a337ee83a5a8ff2e.png

2 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Love the fan for that extra bit of immersion :D 

Eh it's not even the best Dutch immersion sim rig....

Yes, that's a rollcage.

What he doesn't show in this video is he's also rigged up a smoke machine for when he crashes.

Very jealous of everything here.  I wish I'd bought a G29 as lockdown happened, or better still, hit the buy button last Black Friday when I had one in my Amazon basket for about 120 quid!

The big issue is my gaming time already feels massively limited, so I don't know if I'd use a set up enough to warrant the cost (it'd be console only initially, that's 1 certainty!)

I'm put off spending COVID-19 level money on one now, especially with the upcoming new generation of consoles, and the G29 being, well, ancient.

Really, I just want to go drive my car :(

20 minutes ago, Freeman said:

The big issue is my gaming time already feels massively limited

Yeah, but if you had the full set up ready and waiting to go, imaging how much time you'd save by not having to set anything up each time! :D

Continuing the setup...

Ordered some of these brackets.  Initially to make the desk a bit more secure, but I realised I could re-purpose the keyboard shelf for the pedals and use them for this instead...  I do need to actually secure the pedals to the wood, but I might just do that with some large cable ties that I have.  Alternatively I can see what type of mounting screws it takes (I notice the holes in the underneath of the pedals) and then secure to the wood that way...

Anyway, I'm pleased with the result...

IMG_20200518_170831.thumb.jpg.e0507600e65adeb51111cc0a20ef3a29.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200518170238129_COVER.thumb.jpg.eea4dfabe9fe4b85f8e00e529d736dc3.jpg

IMG_20200518_170811.thumb.jpg.747f70289fb9eaece832b05d55c439bf.jpg

IMG_20200518_170410.thumb.jpg.4f5fdfa58f9fd9254a5ef32b355328c2.jpg

That looks top notch, Dave. Rigidness is the key. And I own the same drill hahaha! :D

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

The big issue is my gaming time already feels massively limited, so I don't know if I'd use a set up enough to warrant the cost (it'd be console only initially, that's 1 certainty!)

I've got 2 young kids so my time is limited to one or two, maybe 3 nights per week...but when the kids are in bed and the mrs wants to watch series at her sister's, it's game night for dad!

Unless I'm cycling. Can't do everything at the same time. :blah:

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Eh it's not even the best Dutch immersion sim rig....

Yes, that's a rollcage.

What he doesn't show in this video is he's also rigged up a smoke machine for when he crashes.

Tell me I don't sound like Coronel. :ph34r:

What a rig though! 

So, hypothetically, would it be really stupid to invest in a fanatec for console gaming...?

How much better than a G29 is a Fanatec CSL?

I game on both PS4 and Xbox one, and few wheels offer cross compatibility.

What else would I need to get started, wheel stand of some description, and a seat of some kind.

I already have games I could use I think, Forza / F1 for Xbox and GT Sport / Assetto Corsa on PS4.

How good are there setups on console?

I’m someone who likes to properly drive a car, I like to feel the car, like properly feel the car. I’ve driven on track a handful of times, and done some advanced driving/car control stuff, but am reluctant to go back on track due to an accident.

I’m not likely to invest in a PC, not least of all because it immediately doubles the spend, my current PC is an old laptop and I’m happy to keep it that way..

I think you have to try it, it can never be the same as the real thing, more like driving the real thing from a remotely located set of controls, and it feels terrible at first but your brain fills in the gaps over time and it starts to feel great

12 hours ago, Valver said:

Here's my sim-racing setup:

Logitech G29 wheel and pedals with shifter

Gameracer Pro seat/frame/mount thing

Oculus Rift

Lewis Hamilton cap (+5% speed)

490878181_pcedit.thumb.JPG.022969a1f83d2ac041408eb9b94a2c74.JPG

Sick setup! My brother's got the same frame and seat (but with the Thrustmaster TMX wheel). What specs does your PC have?

12 hours ago, mrben09 said:

I think I posted this in retro but any excuse. 

Got the quest working on pcars 2 this weekend but I think it needs more tweaking . 

90B025F6-559E-4B7C-9258-561E2B5F257E.jpeg

That's awesome, I take it that's not running on the Dreamcast?

12 hours ago, Freeman said:

So, hypothetically, would it be really stupid to invest in a fanatec for console gaming...?

How much better than a G29 is a Fanatec CSL?

I game on both PS4 and Xbox one, and few wheels offer cross compatibility.

What else would I need to get started, wheel stand of some description, and a seat of some kind.

I already have games I could use I think, Forza / F1 for Xbox and GT Sport / Assetto Corsa on PS4.

I've found that console sim racing is too uncertain when it comes to wheels. You buy a wheel, then a couple of years later the new gen comes out and your wheel isn't compatible. So you have to wait for them to maybe make it compatble...or not. My CSR is now lying around unused. :( 

As Morcs said, it'll never replace the real thing but seeing as a lot of pro drivers are into sim racing, it think it comes pretty close these days...depending on how much you are able to spend on it.

I don't think there's a wheel that is compatible with both Xbox and PS. The cheapest would be to get a wheel for either console, such as the Thrustmaster TX and TMX and get the adapter to use the G29 pedals with them. Or go the expensive route with a separate wheel base from Fanatec / Thrustmaster, and get rims for Xbox and PS (with quick-release) so you can swap them when needed. Either way, it'll be expensive. I could provide you with some links if you want.

For stands, I'd go with what I have (Wheelstand Pro v2). It's sturdy, foldable for easy storage and not too expensive. You can hard-mount your wheel to it with bolts for minimal movement as well. Use any seat that gives you a comfortable racing position, as long as it isn't on wheels. A sofa will work great with the wheel stand pro, nice and comfy.

And to be fair, until Fanatec started sending them out for free, F1/FE driver Stoffel Vandoorne was winning pro sim races using a G29 (or possibly the 920 which is the same).  As with all things you'll get 80% from a good base level buy (which today the Logitwins are) and then the last 20% you'll spend 10 times as much or more.

No shame in doing that mind but if you're a console gamer playing the console versions of PCars 2, Dirt Rally, GT Sport, Assetto Corsa then The Logitwins will be fine.

The problem of course is, being a cross-console gamer you can't do that.

My Xbox based set up, works fine on my PC (pcars2, assetta, dirt rally, etc)  . And I dont play enough to need a fanatec. Also my "proof of concept" brain will lead me down a 5k rabbithole which i use twice ! Anyone use iracing ? Seems to be the pro game of choice. Interested to know what the real difference is between that and  pcars2, etc.

my big thing is the pedals. I'm on a G29 and wheelstand pro atm. It's good, works on PC and PS4. If I could upgrade just the pedals and have it work on *both* PC and PS4 that might be enough but that's not an option. Another reason to only focus on PC for sim racing. That said, I love GT Sport and the Rllmuk Monday Night races too much.

I think I'll be upgrading to a Fanatec setup later this year. Not the Podium as tempting as that is because that'd require a sturdier frame etc. I wanna keep it all portable and relatively small due to living in a flat in London. 

On a tangent, has anyone been watching the 'Aris Drives' series on youtube from one of the main developers of ACC? He's done hours of live streams on how to drive better/how all the physics works/how to do setups and so on. Really good...

2 hours ago, Meerman said:

Sick setup! My brother's got the same frame and seat (but with the Thrustmaster TMX wheel). What specs does your PC have?

I just splooged a load of cash on an upgrade the week before lockdown hit :-)

So it's running a Ryzen 9 3900X, 32Gbs RAM, an NVME SSD for the boot drive and a SATA SSD for games.  The graphics card is one of the few bits that I haven't yet upgraded - so that's an Nvidia 980Ti.  I'm waiting for the Nvidia 3XXX series to release later in the year.  I put it all in a new case - a GameMax F15 with addressable RGB lighting.

The monitor is a Dell 1440p 144hz Gysnc one that I've had for about 4 years, and I'm very happy with.

All my old kit went to my 12 year old daughter for an upgrade to her PC.  Sadly I cant get her excited by driving games - she plays Planet Zoo constantly instead!

So I am planning on getting into sim racing a little more again sometime soon. I don't have a home PC setup, but I do have my PS4 Pro/Xbox One X around and nowadays most decent sims tend to end up releasing on those. Assetto Corsa is my poison of choice right now - much prefer it to Project CARS.

I am currently rocking a CSL Elite with the Formula Carbon rim attached. Got those hooked up to my trusty old CSR Elite pedals (clutch removed) which I used back for the RLLMUK F1 league seasons and are as fantastic as ever with their load cell. My old racing seat has recently become a bit tatty and broken though, so I am planning on getting a new one at some point soon.

I used to use iRacing - got myself up to B License and was almost at A when I stopped. A lot more has been added to it since then though so if I ever sort out a PC for home then I may dip my toes back into it.

2 hours ago, Meerman said:

I've found that console sim racing is too uncertain when it comes to wheels. You buy a wheel, then a couple of years later the new gen comes out and your wheel isn't compatible. So you have to wait for them to maybe make it compatble...or not. My CSR is now lying around unused. :( 

As Morcs said, it'll never replace the real thing but seeing as a lot of pro drivers are into sim racing, it think it comes pretty close these days...depending on how much you are able to spend on it.

I don't think there's a wheel that is compatible with both Xbox and PS. The cheapest would be to get a wheel for either console, such as the Thrustmaster TX and TMX and get the adapter to use the G29 pedals with them. Or go the expensive route with a separate wheel base from Fanatec / Thrustmaster, and get rims for Xbox and PS (with quick-release) so you can swap them when needed. Either way, it'll be expensive. I could provide you with some links if you want.

For stands, I'd go with what I have (Wheelstand Pro v2). It's sturdy, foldable for easy storage and not too expensive. You can hard-mount your wheel to it with bolts for minimal movement as well. Use any seat that gives you a comfortable racing position, as long as it isn't on wheels. A sofa will work great with the wheel stand pro, nice and comfy.

Microsoft have announced that peripherals that work with Xbone will also work with Series X, though I appreciate all the additional bits, not least of all the force feedback, may not quite come true with that.

I have an old wheel stand pro in the house somewhere (xbox 360 wheel) I didn't use it much, but I think things have moved on a fair bit from then to now, and the stand was always decent so would be happy to try a V2.

Fanatec... My understanding is that they put the licencing for Xbox One in the steering wheel, and the licencing for PS4 in the hub, so it should be possible to have 1 wheel for both consoles. 

This might all be crap, but it's how I currently understand it..

They use little icons with "PC", "Xbox" , "PS4" on the website, and confusingly, add the word "Ready" if that device is capable when combined with a different component.

So, with the CSL Elite Wheel Base Licenced For PS4 you can play on PS4 or PC.

Note it says "Xbox One Ready" which means it can be used on an Xbox One with an additional component,a nd since Xbox licencing is in the wheel, you need an Xbox steering wheel.

So, then I'd get The P1 for Xbox One

Note that says "Xbox One" as it's a fully compatible device with licence chip, and "PS4 Ready" which I think means that when combined with the base above, means it'll do both consoles and PC.  I presume there is a switch on both the base and the wheel to switch between PC and console mode, and it'll be something like this, but I'm making this up as I go along, so who knows...

Base in console, wheel in PC = PS4

Base in PC, wheel in console = Xbox One

Base in PC, wheel in PC = PC

Base in console, wheel in console, who knows.

Add the Basic CLS Elite 2 pedal set up and a wheel stand pro, and I think I'd be good to go, though I'm going to look at reviews of something like the Playseat Challenge.

Fanatec cost is around £610, which, is well, lots, but is about the same as a TX, TMX combo (which either means 2 wheel stands, or pissing around to change) and about £110 more than a G29 / G920 combo.

I might be dreaming...

2 hours ago, mrben09 said:

My Xbox based set up, works fine on my PC (pcars2, assetta, dirt rally, etc)  . And I dont play enough to need a fanatec. Also my "proof of concept" brain will lead me down a 5k rabbithole which i use twice ! Anyone use iracing ? Seems to be the pro game of choice. Interested to know what the real difference is between that and  pcars2, etc.

Mostly the organisation than the actual sim to be honest.  It only got AI of any kind very recently, it's all about the real competition and it enforces its safely racing.  Drop a wheel off the track more than 3 or 4 times in the 20 minute rookie races on average and you'll never get out of said rookie races. If you the kind of person who does any ramming of people you'll be kicked off entirely pretty quick. You also have to run on their schedule, for the series outside rookies there's probably a race every 2 hours. 

If you want to race Nascars or Indycars you'll need to have done tens of hours of real races at decent consistency.

This is both why it's not for everyone and why you don't get griefers.... at all really.

It's also expensive, the subscription is about £100 a year if you buy in the offers but you get only the rookie tracks and cars and a few of the outdated other ones to begin with.  Beyond that every track will cost you $15 and every car $12.

You can offset this as they do actually pay you for participating in full seasons for example but obvious that's 40 minute+ races for 10 weeks.

My setup in our attic since October 2018:

IMG_20181217_132605.thumb.jpg.ba259543d85bfb0117751c261ac22fc4.jpg

Playseat Sensation Pro - A never released prototype for the defunct Red Bull Global Rallycross series, including convenient extra pre-drilled holes.

Thrustmaster T300 RS Wheel Base - Serving me well since 2015.

Thrustmaster 599XX EVO 30 Wheel Add-On Alcantara - Much nicer to hold than the default plastic wheel, plus 'realistic looks'. (Still use racing gloves sometimes, mind.)

Thrustmaster T3PA Pedals - Three pedals, brake includes 'conical rubber brake mod' for extra resistance.

Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter - Manual 7-speed 'box though it can be switched to sequential mode.

Thrustmaster TSS Sparco Handbrake Mod+ - Fly-off style metal handbrake, perfect for drifts and handbrake turns, mostly in rallying :D

2x Thrustmaster Shifter Mount - For the TH8A and TSS, conveniently mounted behind each other using the extra pre-drilled holes ^_^

All hooked up to a 32" Philips HD TV and PS4 Pro.

Very happy with this one :) Would love a 4K triple screen setup, though I don't have the space and it would only make sense for PC sim racing. Besides, it just fits in this snug nook of the attic so the missus tolerates it.

18 hours ago, Meerman said:

Tell me I don't sound like Coronel. :ph34r:

What a rig though! 

Heh, rest assured, you really don't ;)

Interestingly, sim racing is a real challenge for Tom. I tried to guide him around the Nordschleife in PCARS a few years back in preparation for a TV show, but he got rather dizzy after 2 or so laps. His body is hardwired to the physical input of actual racing.

Spoke with him the other day, Rudy van Buren is now coaching him for The Race All-Stars races in classic F1 machinery, but Tom still gets very nauseous after just one race. Wimp :P

Perhaps he could get his brother Tim to replace him for the next race...

... if Tim wasn't busy following/unfollowing each individual Twitter user half a dozen times per day at random, that is :lol:

Incidentally, I am planning on getting my hands on Assetto Corsa: Competizione on PS4 when it is released next month. Am absolutely up for some forum racing when it drops.

24 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Interestingly, sim racing is a real challenge for Tom. I tried to guide him around the Nordschleife in PCARS a few years back in preparation for a TV show, but he got rather dizzy after 2 or so laps. His body is hardwired to the physical input of actual racing.

Spoke with him the other day, Rudy van Buren is now coaching him for The Race All-Stars races in classic F1 machinery, but Tom still gets very nauseous after just one race. Wimp :P

He's actually doing pretty well now, if he's got that issue too then I'm even more impressed.

For what it's worth, I believe that was the same issue Michael Schumacher had with the Mercedes simulator back in the day - he very much wanted to use it as he understood how useful it was, but he would feel ill very quickly. Back then (and potentially even now) there was nothing available that could simulate the movement and forces involved in driving an F1 car properly.

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Fanatec... My understanding is that they put the licencing for Xbox One in the steering wheel, and the licencing for PS4 in the hub, so it should be possible to have 1 wheel for both consoles. 

I presume there is a switch on both the base and the wheel to switch between PC and console mode

The Fanatec CSL base is compatible with PC, PS4 and XBO. You can switch between the platforms with the 'mode' button (green light for Xbox, red light for PC, blue light for PS4).

The 'XBO ready' tag means that you will need a rim that is compatible with the XBO (because it only ships with the PS4/PC rim these days), so that would be the P1. Or you could get the XBO hub (expensive!) which makes the PS4/PC rim compatible with the XBO.

I hope that makes sense. I don't know much about Thrustmaster or Logotech, so maybe someone else can help with those?

46 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

My setup in our attic since October 2018:

IMG_20181217_132605.thumb.jpg.ba259543d85bfb0117751c261ac22fc4.jpg

...it just fits in this snug nook of the attic so the missus tolerates it.

Phat setup! Yeah same with me, I got 'banned' from using the wheel in the living room (more like "can't you move that thing elsewhere?") so I suggested moving it to the small bedroom upstairs. She was like "great", and I went "yeah but how am I supposed to play without a TV?". So a new TV was ordered. But then my daughter was born and she needed the bedroom, so I moved to the attic. 

Heh, rest assured, you really don't ;)

Phew! :lol:

He should try VR and a motion rig. See how he gets on with that.

Thrustmaster have shipped my TS-PC.  Can't wait!!  Not sure if I've been this excited about anything for a good while!? :D

Got a few games installed and ready to go:-

• Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Project Cars 2
  • Forza Horizon 4 (yes I realise this isn't a SIM racer! ;))
  • F1 2019

Any thoughts on iRacing, Automobilista 2 and Race Room?

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Perhaps he could get his brother Tim to replace him for the next race...

... if Tim wasn't busy following/unfollowing each individual Twitter user half a dozen times per day at random, that is :lol:

Incidentally, I am planning on getting my hands on Assetto Corsa: Competizione on PS4 when it is released next month. Am absolutely up for some forum racing when it drops.

Heh, yeah Tim and Tim both have a way with social media. Part algorithms, part manual liking and following. (Yes, I've actually seen Tom mashing like buttons over lunch in between practice sessions.)

As for AC:C: very much up for taking to that when it hits PS4 in June, and I know some more people in our regular GT Sport group are too :)

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

He's actually doing pretty well now, if he's got that issue too then I'm even more impressed.

For sure! Tom's already stated he considers sim racing to be a more important stepping stone to racing than karting now.

It's funny as more senior racing drivers are suddenly into sim racing due to everything going on, including the ones who really didn't take it seriously before. Such a major difference.

22 minutes ago, Meerman said:

Phat setup! Yeah same with me, I got 'banned' from using the wheel in the living room (more like "can't you move that thing elsewhere?") so I suggested moving it to the small bedroom upstairs. She was like "great", and I went "yeah but how am I supposed to play without a TV?". So a new TV was ordered. But then my daughter was born and she needed the bedroom, so I moved to the attic. 

I've not had 'all that' just yet, though I'm committed to keeping the attic for sim racing, sports gear, storage and laundry :P We have 1,5 spare bedrooms on the first floor so that should work when our household would grow.

Also @Meerman, even though you've already moved on, can I just thank you for properly introducing me to (semi-)realistic racing games on consoles. If it wasn't for our online Forza shenanigans on Xbox 360 (over 10 years ago already!), maybe I would never have had such a nice and warm introduction to the joys of racing this way on rllmuk!

I continue to try to carry that spirit into current online racing activities, now mostly in the weekly GT Sport Monday night GT racing, which sometimes involves up to 2 nearly full 16-player lobbies :)