IGNORED

Sim Racing Central

Meers

53 minutes ago, Meers said:

Wow, that looks great. Much better than on Fanatec's own pictures.

Looks like it has the same diameter as my P1 rim.

Their rims are indeed of very high quality. And their Customer Service is also top notch, very helpful and friendly.

They use UPS too, which I like.  I've ordered a few bits from abroad (and sent some) and its the same driver that comes to the house; so that feels kinda reassuring; especially as Fanatec plaster information about the product over the outer box :D  And with Brexshit it's easy to pay the import charges through their website which I've had issues with before with other suppliers.

On 24/06/2021 at 12:16, SharkyOB said:

Glad it's got those arrows on the shifters; one gets confused.

I mean, of course all of us here Just Know which is which. But to be fair, in every real car that I’ve driven with paddle shifters they are labelled (usually -/+ rather than ⬇️/⬆️ but really what’s the difference).

17 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

I mean, of course all of us here Just Know which is which. But to be fair, in every real car that I’ve driven with paddle shifters they are labelled (usually -/+ rather than ⬇️/⬆️ but really what’s the difference).

Not so much on paddles, but the sequential stick shift +/- isn’t remotely consistent, with manufacturers changing it from car to car, and it’s not just sporty cars = back to shift up / forward to shift down in line with your bodies momentum during acceleration/ declaration vs. non enthusiast sensible up means up and down means down.

Toyota do the later in the Camry, and the GT86 (Though who buys and auto off those!) but the former in the Supra.

Audi does the latter in the R8 and I think most sporty DSG things, Golf R to RS cars.

And this wasn’t even what I was looking for as something in my mind was telling me the McLaren F1 or similar car was backwards but Google was failing me!

On 24/06/2021 at 12:16, SharkyOB said:

Glad it's got those arrows on the shifters; one gets confused.

At the risk of serious posting, some racing cars have more than 2 paddles, eg - the clutch is a paddle.

image.thumb.png.03f99a06fc382f6ca8cb2d1642fd14f2.png

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

At the risk of serious posting, some racing cars have more than 2 paddles, eg - the clutch is a paddle.

image.thumb.png.03f99a06fc382f6ca8cb2d1642fd14f2.png

so that’s up shift, down shift, clutch and spin in the pit lane paddles right?

5B0A3860-CA3D-44B5-A617-98BDFA24C7D0.jpeg

4 hours ago, Corranga said:

Not so much on paddles, but the sequential stick shift +/- isn’t remotely consistent, with manufacturers changing it from car to car, and it’s not just sporty cars = back to shift up / forward to shift down

We have a Mazda 3 and when you put that in sequential mode, I’m sure it’s stick forward to change down / stick back to change up. Never really occurred to me to think anyone would do it the other way around.

Obviously you very seldom need it anyway. Mainly for descending steep hills. It’s not a sporty car in any way at all :D

We also have a mk1 Honda Jazz that has flappy paddles despite having a CVT. Truly strange bit of design, that.

On 26/06/2021 at 13:46, jonathanhoey said:

We have a Mazda 3 and when you put that in sequential mode, I’m sure it’s stick forward to change down / stick back to change up. Never really occurred to me to think anyone would do it the other way around.

Race cars tend to have it your way, I guess because of the way the g-forces are generally going when you need them.

For a road car I can see the argument "Forward = Go".

• 3 weeks later...

I like the RS wheel.  I probably would have ordered it rather than my Porsche wheel if I'd have known it was coming out.  These new wheels have the better shifter module and also the quick release; and at only 100 euro-bucks more than the CSL wheel I don't think that's too bad (for Fanatec's pricing!).

Cheers Dave :)

If I was to get one of those I'd probably go for the BMW one as I prefer alicantara to leather, but I still feel like they're a step down from my current TM rim, due to the relative lack of rotary switches.  I'm still probably going to end up with this insane thing if I don't cancel my preorder for the base:

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-porsche-911-gt3-r-v2-for-xbox-suede

8 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Cheers Dave :)

If I was to get one of those I'd probably go for the BMW one as I prefer alicantara to leather, but I still feel like they're a step down from my current TM rim, due to the relative lack of rotary switches.  I'm still probably going to end up with this insane thing if I don't cancel my preorder for the base:

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-porsche-911-gt3-r-v2-for-xbox-suede

Ah yes, I forgot about the rotary switches.

The availability date on my DD base and Formula rim are now showing as early September rather than October, which is cool.  Either peeps are cancelling pre-orders, or they're able to make more than expected.  Either way, hopefully good news.

Actually, that BMW wheel would probably be fine.  I've just planned out an ACC button layout on it and I'd be able to map everything I currently use without any issues.  Defo helps that it's basically half the price of that Porsche wheel, temptation rising.....

3 hours ago, davejm said:

I'm sure they're not but these round, fairly minimalist wheels always look like they're going to be fucking massive.

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm sure they're not but these round, fairly minimalist wheels always look like they're going to be fucking massive.

They're not indeed. Same diameter as my P1 rim, 320mm.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

This looks really good for anyone after an h-shifter at a decent price!

This looks pretty slick actually, I've struggled to justify the price of some shifters when they will only be used sporadically but for that price I just ordered one.

I might try to spray paint the shell black when it arrives.