Sim Racing Central

Meers

7 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Ah man, that's very cool.  I kinda wish I spotted that before.

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

Ah man, that's very cool.  I kinda wish I spotted that before.

Yours looks great though, I really like the programmable buttons and the graphics you can add!

My cheap `n cheerful knob arrived the other day.

IMG_2112.thumb.jpg.93053738d316455fa259e9b58772bd94.jpg

(Excuse the cable nightmare)

It's great! Really sturdy with a nice 'clonk' as it goes into gear. Well worth the £50 odd quid it cost. Goes really well with my new plain round wheel too. It's adds a surprising amount of immersion when you combine three pedals, a shifter and appropriate wheel.

17 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Spoiler

It's great! Really sturdy with a nice 'clonk' as it goes into gear. Well worth the £50 odd quid it cost. Goes really well with my new plain round wheel too. It's adds a surprising amount of immersion when you combine three pedals, a shifter and appropriate wheel.

Nice! Do they have handbrakes as well?

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

Nice! Do they have handbrakes as well?

Sort of.

I tried ordering one the other day, then realised after I'd payed that the sneaky order summary said 'product details: bracket only' so I cancelled it. 

There seems to be a load of the same model about on aliexpress, ebay, amazon etc. 

61hzwpgsBEL._AC_UY218_.jpg.efbb22b145d4d325f022db906036feaa.jpg

As they all seem to be the same I'll probably get one from somewhere more local than China :) 

Managed to bag a f1000 replica for the boy on Wednesday night. Initial feedback is positive, but you have to charge up the display, and there's a chunky firmware update for the boys t300.

Other than that, those paddle shift levers make a hell of a racket.

On 24/08/2021 at 13:19, SneakyNinja said:

...and because I'm fussy and didn't like the industrial look, I've applied some carbon fibre effect vinyl. :) 

IMG_2123.thumb.jpg.8c4e8d439e1dcaa0c63fbde71107866c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Went and ordered the Fanatec McLaren GT3 V2 wheel rim last Sunday, which was delivered yesterday (Wednesday). Didn't expect it that quickly!

Anyways, it's a very nice piece of kit. Feels amazing in the hands, and I think I felt more nuanced feedback whilst driving. It looks a bit small (no innuendo) compared to the P1 (which I'm keeping for rally and classic cars) but that's just a matter of getting used to.

Plenty of extra buttons to map things on compared to the P1. A summary:

P and N - very big buttons which take some force to press down. There's a rim around it at the same height of the button so that you don't accidentally press them (as if that's possible). Seems to be the buttons for 'pause' and 'select' respectively (to speak in SNES terms). But obviously they're meant for Pit and N... I have no idea what the N stands for.

LSB / RSB - basically the right and left shoulder buttons from an Xbox pad.

Orange gear paddles - for shifting gears obviously, but they seem to be another set of shoulder buttons dedicated to shifting. Has a tense feel to them, magnetic as well and a rocking action as it's one long paddle with a hinging point in the middle. Takes a but getting used to. Makes quite a bit of sound as well.

Analogue paddles - basically just like the analogue triggers found on a pad. Can be customised with the blue dial.

Blue dial - has 4 positions for the analogue paddles; 3 presets and 1 custom setting.

2 red helicopter switches - up and down action, handy for brake bias and traction control. You can press them as a button as well.

A/B/X/Y - needs no explanation really.

2 white dials - handy for fuel mixes, engine mappings, ABS etc. There's 10 positions I think.

Funky stick - basically a d-pad on a thumbstick as found on most Fanatec wheels. This one has a rotary action as well, and you can press it like a button.

Xbox guide button - Used this as a pit limiter button on the P1 rim, but I think I'll assign the pause menu on it now.

Settings button - a very small button that's sat between the left white and blue dials. Used to activate the in-wheel settings (was the wrench button on the P1 rim).

They also included a bunch of other buttons to replace the standard ones with (such as wipers, lights etc). There's also stickers with those functions on it that you can stick underneath the buttons.

image.png.6f2857fcc438d483763985d9f1760a5c.png

image.png.3bde7b02393a4c8d6e18b1bc3804b2b3.png

The phone holder is for my phone, which runs the Sim Dashboard app. It basically replaces the in-car dashboard with a customised one. it allows me to switch off the HUD as well for added immersion.

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

P and N - very big buttons which take some force to press down. There's a rim around it at the same height of the button so that you don't accidentally press them (as if that's possible). Seems to be the buttons for 'pause' and 'select' respectively (to speak in SNES terms). But obviously they're meant for Pit and N... I have no idea what the N stands for.

I think it's for selecting Neutral. 

3 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Cheers Jon! But why would one need to do that? I can just shift down to neutral if need be, albeit with a bit more delay.

10 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

I don't know this for sure but my guess would be that on the real race cars, if you are already in 1st and you pull the left paddle again, it would ignore you and leave you in 1st.

I don't think that games like RR / iR / ACC simulate that? Unless I am mistaken. But it would make sense to have a button for it.

9 minutes ago, davejm said:

Or put you in reverse?

Nah, that's for arcade racers. :ph34r:

20 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Had a look in ACC last night to see if there's such an option, but no. Made it my 'shift' button to activate secondary functions on buttons.

There's a whopping 50 buttons on the thing! And almost all buttons can have up to 3 functions mapped to them (in ACC)... which introduces another challenge - remembering them all. 😆

Edit: I almost forgot - you can press the red helicopter switches, but they don't act as buttons unfortunately. Just up/down action.

If those buttons take some force to press, they'd be ideal for ignition/starter.  You don't want to be pressing the ignition by accident when you're out on track!

My CSL DD has been delayed until 2nd November 😕

If those buttons take some force to press, they'd be ideal for ignition/starter.  You don't want to be pressing the ignition by accident when you're out on track!

Excellent idea! I need to do some adjustments anyway as I'm not happy with the custom layout yet. Ignition/starter are now on the funkyswitchtm button, which may be prone to accidental presses indeed.

My CSL DD has been delayed until 2nd November 😕

Is that still because of the microchip shortage? I assume Brexit has an extra influence on shipping delays as well?

Yeah..

"The semiconductor shortage and the worsening global shipping crisis has resulted in extremely challenging circumstances for every supplier worldwide and our company and our products are also affected. We have tried our best to reduce the impact of these delays, but unfortunately some have been unavoidable.

As a consequence, we are forced to delay your CSL DD order. The estimated shipping date for your order is now October 08, 2021."

On 23/09/2021 at 13:24, Meers said:

Went and ordered the Fanatec McLaren GT3 V2 wheel rim last Sunday, which was delivered yesterday (Wednesday). Didn't expect it that quickly!

Anyways, it's a very nice piece of kit. Feels amazing in the hands, and I think I felt more nuanced feedback whilst driving. It looks a bit small (no innuendo) compared to the P1 (which I'm keeping for rally and classic cars) but that's just a matter of getting used to.

Plenty of extra buttons to map things on compared to the P1. A summary:

LSB / RSB - basically the right and left shoulder buttons from an Xbox pad.

Orange gear paddles - for shifting gears obviously, but they seem to be another set of shoulder buttons dedicated to shifting. Has a tense feel to them, magnetic as well and a rocking action as it's one long paddle with a hinging point in the middle. Takes a but getting used to. Makes quite a bit of sound as well.

Analogue paddles - basically just like the analogue triggers found on a pad. Can be customised with the blue dial.

Blue dial - has 4 positions for the analogue paddles; 3 presets and 1 custom setting.

2 red helicopter switches - up and down action, handy for brake bias and traction control. You can press them as a button as well.

A/B/X/Y - needs no explanation really.

2 white dials - handy for fuel mixes, engine mappings, ABS etc. There's 10 positions I think.

Funky stick - basically a d-pad on a thumbstick as found on most Fanatec wheels. This one has a rotary action as well, and you can press it like a button.

Xbox guide button - Used this as a pit limiter button on the P1 rim, but I think I'll assign the pause menu on it now.

Settings button - a very small button that's sat between the left white and blue dials. Used to activate the in-wheel settings (was the wrench button on the P1 rim).

For any console users, specifically, Playstation, the N button acts as the screenshot button, P as pause.

The blue dial changes the function of the analogue paddles, which can either mirror accelerator / brake, or on a different blue switch setting, are mappable (In GT Sport I use them as left and right scroll to change the dash without needing to move my hands for the funky switch.

The 2 helicopter switches act as up and down on the D-Pad and press in does nothing.

The other 2 rotation dials do nothing in GT Sport, but I think do something in ACC.

I also think I felt more nuanced feedback whilst driving, but on top of that, I'm sure it also felt easier to turn than the P1, and ramped the feedback up a little on the wheelbase.