Jump to content
IGNORED

Sim Racing Central


Meers
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Thanks both. He is playing Forza at the moment so that will be a good one. He has gamepass so can dip into the others mentioned.

 

Which of the Forza's is he playing, out of curiosity? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

I have the CSR Elite pedals, which has an artificial clutch bite point. The V line of pedals have evolved from the CSR Elite pedals, so I (safely) assume the V3 has an artificial bite point as well. I had my clutch removed for ACC, but Horizon 5 makes me want to use it again along  with my h-pattern stick shift.

 

Thanks, I was thinking of upgrading to the V3s for the artificial bite point and adjust-ability; but was reading some reviews and it turns out you can't move the pedals from side to side on the tray.  Which was the main thing I wanted.

 

So started looking at the Heusinkveld Sprints; which would be more of an upgrade anyway.  But they're quite a lot more expensive so I've shelved the idea entirely for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, milko said:

@bradigor have you got game pass? There's Forza on that which is very much non-sim but good fun on wheel as well as pad. Forza Motorsport too I suppose but that's not on sale or part of gamepass anymore, right? 

 

Just to confirm this yes, there are no Forza Motorsports you can buy digitally or are on game pass now.

 

But obviously a cheap disk of 5,6 or 7 from ebay or cex would be just fine (albeit without the ability to buy any of the DLC).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, davejm said:

Thanks, I was thinking of upgrading to the V3s for the artificial bite point and adjust-ability; but was reading some reviews and it turns out you can't move the pedals from side to side on the tray.  Which was the main thing I wanted.

 

So started looking at the Heusinkveld Sprints; which would be more of an upgrade anyway.  But they're quite a lot more expensive so I've shelved the idea entirely for now.

 

Heusinkvelds are rather expensive, yeah. Just realised that they're located near me in Groningen (city). The V3s are really good though.

 

7 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Horizon 5 now

 

image.png.467c57bea8b2ca37a02803a114a7bd53.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Fanatec P1 wheel that I still have, doesn't really have a proper quick release. It basically has some sort of watch type collar that you can click in place and fasten with a bolt (as you can see below).

 

image.thumb.png.72347ab7acb7528819562e3e6e788044.png

 

This thing makes it a hassle to swap the wheels around (it's nowhere near 'quick'), and you can't use the QR1 and QR Lite on the P1 because the back of the wheel has no way of attaching them (backplate is one single piece of moulded plastic).

 

So I've been looking around the web for alternative solutions. One option is 3D printing a custom backplate design by this guy, which allows for the QR to be attatched to. He doesn't produce them anymore, but has offered the STL file up for sale so you can do it yourself. Thing is, I don't have a 3D printer.

 

So looking around a bit more, I've stumbled on this solution - using a lever/clamp thingy that's also used for bike saddles:

 

image.png.8fb9ea54e6e381c7870561956221b0db.png       image.png.5e76554c815718456d0e49ad83e27775.png

 

 

Since he's not selling them anymore, I'm going to try a standard bike saddle clamp and see if it works.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Meers said:

So looking around a bit more, I've stumbled on this solution - using a lever/clamp thingy that's also used for bike saddles:

 

image.png.8fb9ea54e6e381c7870561956221b0db.png       image.png.5e76554c815718456d0e49ad83e27775.png

Looks like the clamp is a much smarter solution than having to screw a bolt in, just have to be carful it's tightened enough as he shows in the video. It irks me though that he doesn't sit the handle flush with the rest of the QR but maybe there's not enough tension in that orientation.

 

How is the P1 to drive with? looks very similar to the WRC fanatec rim. I will need a round rim when I get the CSL DD for the truck sims and older cars in AC.

 

And talking about the CSL DD I got my warehouse processing email from fanatec yesterday, fingers crossed I get it next week, I'm really excited for it and the maca rim, I'm also planning to try buy the updated P1 rim in the black Friday sale.

 

image.thumb.png.ee0a0e60814cfee3b81b354d724b1748.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Looks like the clamp is a much smarter solution than having to screw a bolt in, just have to be carful it's tightened enough as he shows in the video. It irks me though that he doesn't sit the handle flush with the rest of the QR but maybe there's not enough tension in that orientation.

 

How is the P1 to drive with? looks very similar to the WRC fanatec rim. I will need a round rim when I get the CSL DD for the truck sims and older cars in AC.

 

And talking about the CSL DD I got my warehouse processing email from fanatec yesterday, fingers crossed I get it next week, I'm really excited for it and the maca rim, I'm also planning to try buy the updated P1 rim in the black Friday sale.

 

Yeah I think a little carefulness is in order to get the tension just right, but I think that's quite easy to do. I just wonder if the collar on the bike version will be wide enough or not. Think I'll search for the widest one out there. I'm definitely planning to have the handle sit flush with the axis of the wheel, unless it's not possible. I'll find out soon.

 

The P1 is, despite me getting the McLaren GT3 for ACC, a really good and sturdy wheel for allround purposes. It's heavy too and doesn't feel cheap at all, despite it being mostly made of plastic. I want to use it again for AC and FH5, hence the want for a better quick release option. Hopefully the crashing bug in FH5 will be fixed soon because from the time I've played it with the wheel, it felt amazing. @davejm pointed me to a certain beta firmware for the Fanatec wheels, which does not have the bug. But there's also a new alpha firmware out too, which I'm going to try first.

 

Good choice on the CSL DD and the Macca wheel. The P1 V2 rim (better name imo) has the option to attach all the QRs they have. Don't think I'll upgrade to that one, unless my QR hack doesn't work that well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could probably bring the rim to the nearest bike shop to check sizes of the collar.

Yeah the round rim will be for moments I'm not playing ACC which seems to be the game I play the most recently so don't want to spend a fortune for less played games, I have been back in American truck simulator since I got the H-pattern but I need to quieten it somehow, it's excessively loud at moments pulling out from a standstill in the trucks.

21 minutes ago, Meers said:

The P1 V2 rim (better name imo) has the option to attach all the QRs they have.

I agree P1 V2 is the better name, I will use the plastic QR until the QR2 comes out eventually and update all the rims I have by then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

I agree P1 V2 is the better name, I will use the plastic QR until the QR2 comes out eventually and update all the rims I have by then.

 

A word of caution though, the plastic QR lite is not really suited for the forces generated by the CSL DD (not even with the standard 5Nm PSU, let alone the 8Nm one). I've seen quite a few snapped ones on Reddit already (Fanatec subreddit).

 

Not sure if the CSL DD has a high torque mode, but you'll need the QR1 for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been closely following the QR failures, seems like there may be a material problem with some batches and they have sent some people 2 plastic QR. There was also a poll put up on the subreddit which gave a bit better perspective of how many were breaking, It was still a high enough percentage for mass production all things considered.

The end goal is to upgrade to the QR2, I just don't want to invest €100 per QR and then the new version comes out right after.

 

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Not sure if the CSL DD has a high torque mode, but you'll need the QR1 for that.

There is no high torque mode on the CSL DD like on the DD1/DD2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

The end goal is to upgrade to the QR2, I just don't want to invest €100 per QR and then the new version comes out right after.

 

Yeah that makes sense. otherwise you keep throwing money at them.

 

7 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

There is no high torque mode on the CSL DD like on the DD1/DD2.

 

Ah right, I suspected such a thing. I assumed that the boost kit would allow for high torque mode as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

QR1 isn't 'quick release' anyway for me; in that unless I have the screw tightened the rims don't fix flush with the shaft and they rattle around when the force feedback peaks.  It's a common issue with QR1, meaning that it takes longer for me to swap rims on the CSL-DD than it did with my Thrustmaster.

 

So @EuroVapeSim2 if you can hold off until QR2 is available (which should be better in that regard) I'd definitely do so.  Both of my rims came with QR1 so it's not as though I've paid extra; but it's slightly annoying that I have to rely on the screw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

How is the P1 to drive with? looks very similar to the WRC fanatec rim.

 

It's the same rim with different colours basically.

The P1 (and the V2 for Black Friday) is a sort of rubber, the WRC is alcantara, then there is the the Playstation version too in alcantara with leather where your hands go, and then also the previous Xbox P1 that the WRC replaced, which is also all Alcantara (and the best looking one in it's subtle black with no fake carbon or cheesy muddy wheel track - not that I'm biased, it's also the one I have ;))

The are nice to drive with, but somehow feels heavier than the McLaren rim (the only other one I have used).

I'd say it feels better made than the McLaren one too actually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/11/2021 at 23:27, EuroVapeSim2 said:

20211107_000531.thumb.jpg.0aaac301f01c1ce247f4582b4e229e28.jpg

 

20211106_232143.thumb.jpg.ff890fbb9d0dae2f421269fa0269b311.jpg

 

After a delay from sim-lab and UPS forgetting to deliver 1 of 2 boxes I finally got all of the GT1 evo delivered last Tuesday. Got it built today and everything mounted bar the h-pattern, cable management and position tweaking to happen tomorrow.

The screen was previously mounted on the wall and 70cm away from my face, now it is only 40cm so a very nice gain in FOV. Only did 2 quick laps in ACC tonight and its going to take some getting used to, the sense of speed was a huge jump.  Straight away I could feel the stiffness of the whole rig compared to my old folding Next Level Racing wheel stand, FFB was slightly stronger and the more subtle feedback became noticed and no flexing under braking now. 

Really excited now to get the csl DD next month with the mclaren rim.

 

I love my GT1 Evo, it's so solid, no movement at all, and you can get a decent seating position somewhere between GT and F1 by raising the pedals up a bit too. 

Cable management I can't help too much with, I don't have a monitor on mine, nor a PC for that matter, other than to say I simply run my cables through the extrusion slots and 'capped' them with some white plastic cable trunking inserted sideways, will stick up some photos soon.  
I also added some removable casters as the official ones made it move too much, so mine sits on the rubber feet most of the time, but I can raise it onto the casters and move it out of the way (as I race with my TV)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I miss the old SIM racing nights in GT Sport. Even though I was new and shit.

 

When I pick up another PS5 when God of War and GT7 hit then I might get another wheel. 

 

Although I'm not getting a seat this time. I had the playseat challenge and part of the issue was getting that bastard in and out the cupboard. Just a pain in the arse and made me not want to play. And I didn't find it comfortable.

 

Do any of you use some kind of platform where you can just sit on the couch and have the wheel in front of me. This seems my best option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My solution to cable management on my Sim Labs GT1 Evo, the white is narrow cable trunking with the cables behind in the slot. I quite like the white, but of course this is the side of the rig facing away from me anyway.

 

05BB5496-9D70-4231-B846-498475C2E2CA.jpeg.c5b701a2e238e7a2b5928155125647a3.jpeg


Also, removable casters so it sits firmly on the ground but can be moved easily at any time. I need to make a small filler piece as the casters are narrower than the brackets.

 

D943FAC4-8526-45A4-A55B-08EC713B72CC.jpeg.26aec93b1d6705bf206f9a32864817a4.jpeg772DF1E0-6A24-4276-B7B8-B1DE0D6B20CB.jpeg.6bfb5dfb50b37be45d3abe3adb5588e3.jpegB46516F1-182C-4C57-93F1-D2F2F4C71E01.jpeg.b728ae8e107121d0fc3882501ff2ef5d.jpeg

 

And as a bonus, I liked my car seat so decided to make a gaming chair out of another one and some extruded alloy…

 

6277D3A4-9456-4CC7-8FB9-F9832F99CDBC.jpeg.991d70c7b1302507730f0f1507f6bbfd.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ry said:

Do any of you use some kind of platform where you can just sit on the couch and have the wheel in front of me. This seems my best option.

 

Yeah, the Wheelstand Pro I think it's called. Folds well and works with couch, but the central pole can be a little awkward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Meers said:

Since he's not selling them anymore, I'm going to try a standard bike saddle clamp and see if it works.

 

I think I've found something that might be suited as a quick release for the P1 wheel. What do you guys reckon?

 

image.thumb.png.41a35ee11c0c37f0c9fd8be3caa90ca4.png

 

The diameter of the wheel axle is 45mm (~1.77") so with an added rubber ring this might fit just fine I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Corranga said:

My solution to cable management on my Sim Labs GT1 Evo, the white is narrow cable trunking with the cables behind in the slot. I quite like the white, but of course this is the side of the rig facing away from me anyway.

 

05BB5496-9D70-4231-B846-498475C2E2CA.jpeg.c5b701a2e238e7a2b5928155125647a3.jpeg


Also, removable casters so it sits firmly on the ground but can be moved easily at any time. I need to make a small filler piece as the casters are narrower than the brackets.

I never thought about running the cables in the slots like that, now I understand the accessories on sim-lab with long strips of plastic, will have to do something similar myself in the future.

 

The casters is genius how you have them set up very easy to move around then, I'm lucky my rig has it's own corner now I used to fold away my Next Level Racing frame in my old apartment, wheel would have been useful then. Your set up looks very clean for a moveable 8020 rig.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

Cool! Fanatec don't have resellers in the UK, do they?

 

Also, are you ready to use the new pedals tonight?

 

We have a Fanatec reseller in Ireland (Digital-Motorsport) but since Brexit there's no real difference between them and ordering direct now, apart from their delivery times which are shorter.

 

I've got the new pedals installed, which was a mistake because I was loads slower when practicing last night as I need to get used to them.  And they were so fiddly to install it would be too much effort to put the T-LCMs back on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, davejm said:

I've got the new pedals installed, which was a mistake because I was loads slower when practicing last night as I need to get used to them.  And they were so fiddly to install it would be too much effort to put the T-LCMs back on.

 

Yeah that doesn't sound good for tonight...

 

...hang on...

 

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

 

😉😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick plug- over in the GT Sport thread we’re doing another charity race/ livery competition on Monday night 20/12/21. We did one last treat and raised money for the charity SpecialEffect. This year it’s a Dutch charity

https://actie.biovakantieoord.nl/project/happy-esports-by-rllmuk-mnrc?locale=en

Donation page for the 2nd annual MNRC Christmas charity race and livery competition is updated with an easy to use PayPal option.

 

The racing will be Monday 20/12/21 8pm Uk ( 9pm CET). If you’re not already in the MNRC Party on PlayStation drop me a message so we can add you.

 If you don’t want to race you can just do a Xmas liveryand show it off. Or you can just donate to a great cause!

 The racing itself will be a load of silly nonsense so if you haven’t played/ inexperienced/ only got a pad don’t worry. @Fretnoise has come up with “12 races of Christmas” and you just need a Gr3 Beetle or 911 with a suitably tacky Xmas livery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.