Jump to content
IGNORED

Sim Racing Central


Meers
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, davejm said:

IMG_20200520_093838.thumb.jpg.7b50e506f2f0d093898cd00167d76057.jpg

 

If you have them, and there is enough thread on the bolts, I'd add washers to those as with the pressure it may damage the wood as you apply pressure, especially if it's just laminated/veneered chipboard.   

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, so, first, if you are in the Edinburgh  / Dalkeith area and are thinking of getting a PC or Playstation start up kit, I found this on gumtree which I think is a decent deal.

A supposedly 1 month old Logitech G29 with shifter and a Playseat Challenge for £300 on this Gumtree Ad

Edit to say, I don't know the seller, I jut found the ad and thought it was decent value at the moment

 

The guy is willing to have it collected, so may do postage.  I was investigating, but I didn't want to risk it so made my apologies.

DHL I think it was via Parcel2Go would have been £25 based on packaging sizes and weights from Amazon / the web, plus £14 for insurance.

That was for 3 separate packages for the wheel, shifter, seat.

 

Next, if you are looking for a seat of some kind, that folds, the Playseat Challenge is currently in stock at Argos (in Playstation blue) for £165, which is cheaper than anywhere at the moment, except Overclockers who have it for £155, but it's out of stock.

 

And finally, to justify saying no to the gumtree guy above, I've just ordered myself a Fanatec.

 

 

I don't think I'll be allowed near a PC for quite some time, or my wallet, or any other games.

Also, am I the only one who can't sleep after a purchase like that, not because I'm excited, but because I'm terrified I've just made a huge mistake!?

 

Anyway, I will be eagerly refreshing my inbox waiting for some sort of estimation on dispatch.  The site said everything was available, we'll see.. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Freeman said:

 

If you have them, and there is enough thread on the bolts, I'd add washers to those as with the pressure it may damage the wood as you apply pressure, especially if it's just laminated/veneered chipboard.   

 

Cool, yep I'll do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Meerman said:

I think a GT style license mode would be a better way to keep the idiots away. Make it long, difficult and tedious. The serious people will have enough patience to stick with it until a license is awarded, the idiots will give up out of sheer boredom. :eyebrows:

 

That's exactly what iRacing has.

 

https://www.iracing.com/getting-started-license-classes/

 

To get out of rookie though, it's only 2 races and the safety rating so a dedicated idiot can make it a level up.

 

They'll soon get busted back down though and any higher than that they're just not making it.  Also promotions from Rookie happen every 4 weeks, I think it's every 13 after that.  Could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I switched cars tonight (still using the free ones) and had two really fun races. It really encourages you to plan which series you are going to drive in each week, which is good for someone like me who would rather learn one car and track combo really well and get some super close racing as a result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love my TS-PC!! :)   It's really giving my arms a workout too :lol:

 

Finding it really tough to be consistent, but I'm starting to see improvement.  I've given up trying to play F1 2019 for the time being, and have switched to Project Cars 2.  I want to gain confidence using slower cars around more simple tracks so I started a career in the Ginetta Junior UK Championship.

 

Had a rough session last night during first race practice in the career mode... I was 4 seconds off the pack after 15 minutes of driving... and I went to bed pretty disheartened.  Went back to it at lunchtime and managed to close the gap to a couple of tenths... but had another go after work and I managed to get in a lap 0.6s quicker than anyone else, to top the charts after the end of practice!!  It feels really good to feel and see the improvements after the sessions I've had with the wheel so far, and I'm really excited for my first qualifying session later on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At risk of this turning into a personal blog...  another update from me...

 

I had SUCH an amazing gaming experience last night.  I did a 15 minute qualifying session in the first race in the Ginetta Junior UK Champs (pCars 2) and finished nearly a second faster than the AI on the default difficulty.  I thought about increasing difficulty at this point, but figured I'd try the full race first... and I found it tougher.  Trying to drive consistently with other racers on my tail was harder, and I nearly binned it half way through the race.  I managed to keep it together but I got passed by 3 cars so I ended up finishing 4th.

 

Absolutely loving this SIM racing lark so far!! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personal blog it mate!

 

This is pCARS' strength to me, it's the one that generally to me feels more like I feel in a real race than most of the other AI based ones.

 

Has anyone tried Automobilista 2, which uses the Madness engine.  I was put off by the main car and track list seeming like a retread of PCars and that EIGHTY QUID season pass but who's tried it properly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I agree - absolutely personal blog it! Really fun seeing how folks are getting on :)

 

I took the opportunity of my lunch break to fire up the original Assetto and turn some laps around Brands in a Lambo Huracan GT3 as preparation of sorts for Competitizione. Fun stuff! Forgot how much of a nightmare Surtees is and how loose the back end of the car doesn't like it around there at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Yes, I agree - absolutely personal blog it! Really fun seeing how folks are getting on :)

 

I took the opportunity of my lunch break to fire up the original Assetto and turn some laps around Brands in a Lambo Huracan GT3 as preparation of sorts for Competitizione. Fun stuff! Forgot how much of a nightmare Surtees is and how loose the back end of the car doesn't like it around there at all.

 

There's a nasty bump on the inside of Surtees in reality, you may well be smacking that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, kiroquai said:

I should warn you that he might take a few days to make sure his wing mirrors are in acceptable positions first :coffee:

 

Set the field of view correctly and he won't see them ;)

 

EDIT:  VR!! So he won't have that problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So my play seat arrived, so I got myself in the attic to find my old 360 wheel to stick on it, powered up the 360 installed a bunch of updates etc. and stuck in Forza 4, which I guess it about as close to a 360 sim as there was...


I’m wondering if I should have gone for a new wheel stand pro now instead...

 

 

22BFBA3F-72AD-40A4-94D2-3B649D1FF5FD.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, davejm said:

At risk of this turning into a personal blog...  another update from me...

 

Absolutely loving this SIM racing lark so far!! :)

 

Keep 'em coming! :sealclap:

 

Performance woes! I'm struggling to have my laptop run ACC...at a stable 60fps that is. The framerate is all over the place and I've lowered the resolution and graphics so much that it looks much worse than the original AC. Is ACC so much more demanding on hardware or is it poorly optimised? I thought it was the Unreal engine to blame, but then again Dirt Rally 2 runs just fine and that uses the same engine. 

 

So what the hell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meerman said:

 

Keep 'em coming! :sealclap:

 

Performance woes! I'm struggling to have my laptop run ACC...at a stable 60fps that is. The framerate is all over the place and I've lowered the resolution and graphics so much that it looks much worse than the original AC. Is ACC so much more demanding on hardware or is it poorly optimised? I thought it was the Unreal engine to blame, but then again Dirt Rally 2 runs just fine and that uses the same engine. 

 

So what the hell?

 

It seems a significant step up in graphical quality to me, over all the other racing games I've been playing since I got my wheel.

 

I've been dipping in and out of ACC, but really struggled to keep it on the track.  It feels weightier and everything more difficult to control, with stronger force feedback and a general feeling that I was fighting the car all the time.  But something just clicked for me this evening and I managed loads of consistent laps around the Nurburgring.  It seemed to help switching from the default Lambo that it puts you in, to the Ferrari.  It seemed much easier to control.

 

I've just had the most wonderful evening session with ACC.

 

I was hoping I wouldn't get buyers remorse spending £600 on this wheel but I don't regret it one bit.  Getting a real buzz every time I play, and making really rewarding progress with my skill levels each session.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Marmite said:

 

Why?


Initial impression was that the wheel stand pro was nice and stable and the sofa was comfy, then my back started hurting and the wsp came a little loose and started moving. 
 

I took the wheel off it to try on the play seat, but couldn’t figure a way to mount it and don’t know where the steering wheel bracket is so I can’t directly compare.

 Had some fun with Forza 4 though, driving the car closest to my own from interior view was fun, sounded fairly accurate, and looked the same, other than being backwards (LHD). Driving the real one is easier too :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, davejm said:

 

It seems a significant step up in graphical quality to me, over all the other racing games I've been playing since I got my wheel.

 

I've been dipping in and out of ACC, but really struggled to keep it on the track.  It feels weightier and everything more difficult to control, with stronger force feedback and a general feeling that I was fighting the car all the time.  But something just clicked for me this evening and I managed loads of consistent laps around the Nurburgring.  It seemed to help switching from the default Lambo that it puts you in, to the Ferrari.  It seemed much easier to control.

 

I've just had the most wonderful evening session with ACC.

 

I was hoping I wouldn't get buyers remorse spending £600 on this wheel but I don't regret it one bit.  Getting a real buzz every time I play, and making really rewarding progress with my skill levels each session.


ACC is tough but use the built in ratings to help you improve, work your way through the Ratings, the Car Control Rating especially is superb, basically rating your corner entry/exit. You can set the focus to the CC rating in the HUD menu. Stick with the Safe setup until your Consistency and Car Control Ratings are well into the 80s before you think about the Aggressive setups. The setups are generally very good in this game so there’s no need to tinker too much.
 

Read the various Kunos blogs too, lots of very useful information, especially the car specific ones. Try and stick with one or two cars, each has strengths and weaknesses on various tracks but they take time to learn so always swapping cars won’t help.
 

Tyre Temps are important, you’re generally looking for 27 to 28. It takes 2 to 3 laps to get a stable temp. You can open/close your brake ducts to lose or gain temp, most useful on cold tracks.
 

Absolutely superb SIM and I’m really looking forward to the GT4s and British Tracks later in the year.

 

Another very useful tip in ACC is that you can configure a shift button on your wheel so that each button can have 2 modes. In addition and I find more useful you can configure a timed press e.g. normal press to lower Traction Control and long press to raise it. Very very useful for wheels with a small number of buttons.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davejm said:

 

Thanks for that link, that's very helpful! 

 

So the mirrors are highly demanding, how silly is that?! Switched them off, gained 15fps. :doh:

 

Vsynch is taxing too this time around, as well as frame limit, having them off gives me +20fps. Smoke, motion blur and other post-processing on low added another 15fps.

 

So that's 50 gained which gave me a framerate of 80. But since my screen only has a refresh rate of 60, I upped the AA, textures, materials and view distance to high and hey presto, a stable 60fps! :omg::sealclap:

 

But the mirrors thing still has me baffled. I'm using buttons now to look around me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Meerman said:

 

But the mirrors thing still has me baffled. I'm using buttons now to look around me.


Yep mirrors and shadows are heavy on processing. I find the radar and race engineer are enough to know my position relative to others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, scoobysi said:


Yep mirrors and shadows are heavy on processing. I find the radar and race engineer are enough to know my position relative to others.

 

Yeah, I'm using the Crew Chief app in addition as well. It's essential. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, ACC is a revelation.  The level of immersion, the feeling of quality and weight to everything.  Superb.

 

I'm just practicing the tracks at the moment.  Managed a 3 star rating on Nurburgring so have started on Silverstone.  Gonna sink hours and hours into this, and before I even start racing! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, davejm said:

Wow, ACC is a revelation.  The level of immersion, the feeling of quality and weight to everything.  Superb.

 

I'm just practicing the tracks at the moment.  Managed a 3 star rating on Nurburgring so have started on Silverstone.  Gonna sink hours and hours into this, and before I even start racing! 


431 hours so far but I’ve had it since the EA. Didn’t quite realise I’d spent quite that much time with it though, it’s overtaken AC for me which is testament to the quality as the content in ACC is much more limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Meerman said:

 

Yeah, I'm using the Crew Chief app in addition as well. It's essential. 


Yep, I might try Crew Chief again, there’s been some compatibility issues but I think it was fixed again recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.