rllmuk
Stigweard

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed

I watched this in 1080p, and it looked fantastic. I was bothered about having to upgrade my gaming tv as I still use a HD Sony Bravia, what does this all mean? There’s not many 8k or hdmi 2.1 TVs around, so I guess everyone is cool without them? Does anyone really know at this point?

There's a new Digital Foundry video that does into more (but not full) detail of how Nanite and Lumen work. I'd say it's an approachable video with clear examples of what's different about Epic's approach.

• Upvote 2

Is there a reason that Microsoft and Sony don't do this themselves? Surely they know their consoles better than anybody and could make the best game engine possible, allowing developers to get the absolute best from the machine to show it off? 

10 hours ago, SteveH said:

Is there a reason that Microsoft and Sony don't do this themselves? Surely they know their consoles better than anybody and could make the best game engine possible, allowing developers to get the absolute best from the machine to show it off? 

I am pretty sure the upgraded Decima for Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will easily have all these bells and whistles, although they will be toned down in many ways because this is a tech demo after all.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone really give a shit how an engine disguises how it loads in more assets?

What do people think is having to happen to get all these whizzy things working on the machine.

God, sometimes I hate humanity so, so very much.

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Does anyone really give a shit how an engine disguises how it loads in more assets?

What do people think is having to happen to get all these whizzy things working on the machine.

I think it’s more that the whole selling point of the PS5, hardware wise, is its ability to completely remove loading.

Not that I think they were trying to hide any assets loading on a highly polished tech demo.

I mean everyone hates the squeeze through rocks bit, we've just had two major games (Fallen Order and FF7RE) absolutely riddled with the things.

9 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Nobody would have commented on it if the PS5 boreathon hadn't spent half of the runtime talking about such loading tricks being a thing of the past. The demo had the ol' squeeze through rocks and slowly turn this dial with mini cutscene to load in assets going on.

I thought the demo was a banger and cannot wait for the next gen consoles to launch so game tech can move on again.

• Upvote 1

I did find it amusing when the cliff squeeze happened in the demo. Both the intended audience (presumably devs) and the gamers who will watch it know what a squeeze section means, and they know it means loading. But it was funny to me that those Uncharted language elements (tight squeezes, painted climbing parts, bits of cliff and ledge falling for fake peril) are so embedded now that even a concept demo felt obliged to put them in. Almost cargo cult in that regard.

I kind of like the cliff squeezes. I keep an eye on how the hands are animated and how they react with the cliff itself.

I give the ones in the demo an ACE 876 out of 1000.

I want a whole game that is just squeezing through dangerously tight, photorealistic caves. They could call it Spelunk(y)er.

• Upvote 4

The painted walls and rock squeeze looked, to me, like they were inserted on purpose for one reason; to make the demo look like actual game play  instead of pre-rendered or ‘in engine’ footage. Gamers are a cynical bunch and with the graphical fidelity of UEV being so high, perhaps Epic felt viewers wouldn’t believe it was real unless it looked more ‘gamey’. I mean with the SSD loading speeds they’re talking about the rock squeeze seemed unnecessary, and more just a gaming trope put in deliberately to make us believe 100% what we’re seeing is real and running on PS5. Seems to have worked. 

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Epic said the squeezing bit had nothing to do with masking load times, but that it was done to show details in close-up.
Here's part of the demo,  made in Dreams. Pretty impressive. :)

• Upvote 1

My uncle who works for Nintendo A UI artist friend of mine who works for a UK dev team believes it. It seems like the one thing he’s most hyped about for the next gen. Guy is a fucking steamer, PlayStation fanboy who talks some amount of shite tho, so we’ll see.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Is there anyone who truly believes PS5 will have no loading times? I mean, for real?

In the beginning at least, yes.  I expect it to be silky smooth with zero loading. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last last the gen though.

Think about how the OS is slow and clunky compared to how it ran in 2013.

Maybe it's different for SSD's and there's no conceivable scenario they could slow them down for improved visuals or world size etc. I don't know enough about them. But devs eventually prioritise max graphics at 30fps towards the end of gen.

48 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Is there anyone who truly believes PS5 will have no loading times? I mean, for real?

It will have them but they will be fast enough to be negligible. 

On 13/05/2020 at 20:55, Liamness said:

when exactly wasn't 30fps the primary target for console games?

If this next generation really is aiming to be running at only 30fps then I am going to be very disappointed and will still be doing most of my gaming on a PC...

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean everyone hates the squeeze through rocks bit, we've just had two major games (Fallen Order and FF7RE) absolutely riddled with the things.

ah shit son, nooo

Just now, Mike S said:

If this next generation really is aiming to be running at only 30fps then I am going to be very disappointed and will still be doing most of my gaming on a PC...

How can it run at anything different at native 4K and all the new effects?

It'll be the same as this gen. You'll get western devs pushing bleeding edge visuals first and foremost, you'll have games like Nioh and Shadow of the Colossus that offer the choice between graphics and performance, you'll have indies that run in 4K and at 60 fps (like that new Edge cover game), fighting games and racing games will generally be 60 fps and you'll have Capcom's astonishing RE Engine that offers superb visuals and 60 fps.
I love 60 fps, it's why I do most multiplat gaming on PC, but it is not the big selling point some people think it is. The vast majority will always pick fancy graphics over the highest framerate. And don't even get me started on RTX. I have a RTX 2080 Ti and something like Control with RTX only runs smoothly with DLSS (we'll proably see similar implementation on next-gen consoles).

• Upvote 1

Witcher 3 and Gears 4 both have a choice between 1080/60 or 4k/30 on One X, and after some back-and-forth I ended up playing both in 4k/30. I don't think every game benefits from 60fps in the same way, and for immersive titles I'd rather have the fidelity.

Gears 5 was 4k/60 from the off though, which is obviously the best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Okay well it was fun being excited for next-gen while it lasted then.

We had our 24 hours.  :D

Anything to make even a bit of a game easier for dwvs is a good thing.  Up to teams to work out how they utilise the time gained back I guess,  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It will have them but they will be fast enough to be negligible. 

Which will apply to both next-gen consoles. We certainly won't be waiting a minute for every loading screen (instead we'll be waiting two minutes while servers on the internet fail to match players, show instances, sync world state).

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

Only idiots. My PC runs on an SSD. There's plenty of loading but it's minimal. A brilliant example is Skyrim. LOADING SCREENS GALORE! However, on the old consoles you could read all the text on those screens two or three times, and get bored of rotating whatever object was on screen before you loaded into, say, Whiterun. On an SSD the loading screen is still there, but you'll never manage to read all the text they put up before its gone. :) 

The longest loading I have noticed on my SSD is in Half Life: Alyx - 10 seconds to load in the next big part of a level. That's what I expect on the next-gen consoles. 

33 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

They won't. They'll be utilising AMD's version of DLSS. If it's done well, then fuck-all people will notice the difference and we all get whizzy smooth graphics. 

45 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

By the time the consoles are out cards like the 3080ti will prob be announced or out which will laugh at this post 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Why does it have to be 4k and all the new effects?

This constant chase for shiny at the expense of responsiveness/smoothness that consoles pursue would not be my choice and, if we are indeed going to have yet another generation of games at 30fps, then, as I say, I'll be sticking to the PC.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mike S said:

This constant chase for shiny at the expense

It’s not even about shinies, often rendering at those sort of resolutions will decrease overall image quality, it’s all about box ticking for the marketing dept because some weird demographic believe native 4K rendering is somehow significant. 

• Upvote 3