Mafia Remastered Trilogy - PC - PS4 - XB - Out Now

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

Just finished the DE of 1. Man, that's a great story. Really enjoyed it. Obviously there's a mission in 2 that has a lot more context now. 

That's really cool isn't it :D Was even cooler back when Mafia 2 was new and you didn't make the connection until literally that point in that mission. It's like they show it, Vito says it and you're like WAIT WAIT WHAT HOLY FUCK

Imo one if the coolest moments in gaming ever :D

Still really enjoying III, I'm on my last Capo and have to say I have not found it a slog ... but can easily imagine that being the case on a replay.

There are some real nice touches in this, like the way the camera tilts and angles itself when cornering in third person view - looks cool as fuck. Also, on the mission I'm on there guy playing a piano rendition of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit. The soundtrack is really fucking good.

And I had no idea they were using a lot of the actors' likenesses as well as voices. Imagine my surprise when Nolan North turned up and I recognised his face before his voice. :)

I really enjoyed Mafia III in the end. In fact, i'll quote myself from that thread

I've been playing this on and off since getting it for christmas and I can honestly say that shooting a guy in the legs with a shotgun while he's carrying things and watching him do a hilarious faceplant will never, ever get old. Unlike the missions that are all the same.

alright so I've been playing this a few hours every night this week and I think it's superb, story has really ramped up and gotten interesting and some of the locales and the missions have been really really good. Getting a silenced pistol helped make the game much more interesting as you can properly infiltrate strongholds rather than being forced to keep going guns blazing. The sunrise/sunsets are absolutely incredible and I'm really enjoying cracking on with the story missions, I'm not bothering with the fetches and favors as I know they bring rewards but they kill the pacing somewhat chronic. Doesn't help that the cutscenes for the side missions aren't acted and you just kinda stand there having an awkward conversation with the character.

TLDR game impresses after a rocky start

and finished. If the game could've kept up the variety of locations and story set pieces more evenly, as opposed to just the boss encounters, it would have been a real contender for one of the best games this gen. Those last few hours were just brilliant, the ending was satisfying, and the post credits sequence was absolutely incredible! the quality of the script, characters and performances pretty much blow every other open world game out of the water...it makes GTA V look like silly kids stuff.

Hope we see another one, built on the foundations of what works in this. Could be incredible....

Well, the remake was excellent. So nice one Hangar 13 yer done good.

Now that's an ending! Fucking loved that, and can't believe I waited four years to swing back round to Mafia III. Lincoln Clay is an absolutely brilliant antihero, and John Donovan was fucking amazing. Even the DLC was bloody good. 

Really hope there's a Mafia IV in the works off the back of sales of this definitive collection, though it's probably touch and go.

2.5 districts to go before I can take down the big bad bastard in Mafia 3. Now that I'm completely ignoring all the collectibles, wiretaps, and side quests I'm enjoying it a lot more. The story, dialogue, and the character performances are light years ahead of the comparatively cartoony stuff in the likes of GTA. The performances remind me of Yakuza, the expressions and emotions are conveyed similarly well - and in the remake of Mafia 1 all of those things are even better still.

I also really really hope there's a part 4. Hangar 13 have more than proven that they're brilliant at making Mafia games. I want more.

Had what I assume - and hope - was a bug on a late mission. Had to drive to a certain point, then drive round looking for a certain truck, then drive the truck somewhere else, then infiltrate a warehouse without raising an alarm. Unfortunately I did raise the alarm and instead of kicking me back to that section, it is kicking me back to the cutscene for the mission and making me do the whole lot again. 

Just finished the first. Absolutely loved it. It's only the second game I've finished all year, which should tell you how much I enjoyed it. Sure, it had clunky bits, and few annoying parts, story was cliche as hell, but damn if it wasn't a fine total package. 

22 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Man, they could have unified the controls across the games. The controls in 2 are totally different to Mafia! Pain in the ass. 

2 and 3 are just simple remaster / port jobs. 3 is early current gen but 2 is the game as it was in 2010. And they outsourced on the quick and cheap, so the budget dev studio in question managed to make Mafia 2 even buggier. If you stick with it, and get past the weak start, you're in for a story that rivals that of 1 and has a few extremely cool tie-ins.

3 plays better than 2 because it's more modern, but back then they decided to listen to fans who had no interest in the series to begin with and added a bunch weak ass Ubisoft style sandbox filler quests. Look past those, and again you'll find a story worthy of its predecessors. 

The remake of 1 you just played is a complete from the ground up remake by the main team who also made 3 before this. As such it's the most polished and advanced one, because it's the newest.

I agree with you btw that they could and should have do much a better job with polishing up 2. It's such a great game beneath all that - if you manage to stick with it I guarantee you'll love it for its story and characters just like 1.

Yeah I realise all that and I don't mind it looking and feeling a bit dated, but it's just all the controls are different so it's a bit jarring. LB is look behind car (R3 in Mafia DE), sprint (L3 in Mafia DE) and something else. RB is reload (X in Mafia DE). You have to press a button to get out of cover instead of just moving away from it. Little things that I've just spent 12ish hours learning and getting used to in Mafia and are now different in 2. 

Completely agree with that. The publisher should have let Hangar 13, the main dev studio, handle the entire trilogy. Then we could have gotten a far better collection, certainly the quality of the remake of 1 deserves that. But looking at how they pushed the remasters out the door the same day as they announced this trilogy, it's safe to say the publisher was in a hurry. Probably also because the end of the generation is coming up.

Edit: in response to your previous post

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

God, just imagine how good the snowy opening with all the Christmas songs would have been if it had been redone to the level of Mafia 1. It's be atmospheric as hell. 

Yes. And the game is chock a block with moments like that. The atmosphere is off the charts later on. Once you get used to the controls and get to the really good bits, you'll love it. 

Yeah enjoying it already, although it's just hard crashed when, ironically, I crashed my car. Had to restart my Xbox. 

Driving feels easier than one. In one it always felt like I was fighting against the car, whereas in this is feels a bit like the car is magnetised to the road. 

Just finished Mafia 3. Man! That was some ride towards the end there. Great stuff, glad I stuck with it and made it past the sandbox stuff. Now I really want a Mafia 4 more than ever :D

one question about the ending though (massive massive spoilers obviously)

Spoiler

WAS THAT FUCKING JOE DRIVING GALANTE AROUND AT THE END THERE ???!!!!

WTF

Just now, Thor said:

I wondered that as well. Looked oh so similar.

Yes, looked definitely similar but on top of that:

Spoiler

- every other secondary mafioso goon in the entire game is one of literally two generic character models. Even the guys protecting Leo, they look the same as every other mafioso in the game. EXCEPT Leo's driver, they created a completely unique character model just for his driver who appears only for a second at the end.

- secondly, the camera definitely lingers on him for a bit. Who else could it be, it's clearly significant. 

Either way, a fantastic and unexpected easter egg :D

Got a game breaking bug on the penultimate mission of Mafia 2. "Get out of the building with Joe", except Joe won't fucking move. I've cleared the entire building of bad guys, he's still stood upstairs and won't move at all. Restarting mission puts me back at the last checkpoint which doesn't help as he's still stuck. 

A quick Google suggests this was a bug in the original game back in 2010 and they've not fixed it for the remaster. 

6 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Got a game breaking bug on the penultimate mission of Mafia 2. "Get out of the building with Joe", except Joe won't fucking move. I've cleared the entire building of bad guys, he's still stood upstairs and won't move at all. Restarting mission puts me back at the last checkpoint which doesn't help as he's still stuck. 

A quick Google suggests this was a bug in the original game back in 2010 and they've not fixed it for the remaster. 

Oh man, that sucks :( Sorry to hear that. Would using chapter select from the main menu help? (I don't know if it then continues on to the next)

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh man, that sucks :( Sorry to hear that. Would using chapter select from the main menu help? (I don't know if it then continues on to the next)

Going to try that today. It's chapter 14 which seems incredibly long and full of busywork compared to previous ones...

Spoiler

It's the one where you go kill Tommy Angelo, then have to escape from the cops, then go to the docks and have the shootout with Derek, then have to make $27k for Bruno, then drive to four or five places looking for Joe, then have to escape from the under-construction high-rise with him. I'm on that last bit. I've fought my way all the way down to the lobby, killed everyone and Joe is stood on the stairs on the top floor and won't move. 

I drifted away from 3 without getting to the end. I really loved the idea of it sort of being a sim-ish campaign to take over the city (I'm really looking forward to Empire of Sin for that reason), but in practice it seemed so repetitive. The story stuff is as good (or better) than ever but I think they leaned too much into the standard design for open world games at the time, where the stakes are generally low and you spend a lot of time tidying icons on a map.

The first two were amazing because the story just kept driving forward and throwing new stuff at you, I never felt that the lack of a 'proper' GTA-esque open world you could wander off and get sidetracked in was a problem.

I might give it another go...

Also the 'racist funfair' level was definitely taking a pop at Ken Levine, wasn't it?

Well, I had to completely redo the whole of chapter 14 to get past thay game breaking bug, but I did it and finished Mafia II. 

I'd not played these games before, so Mafia Definitive Edition and Mafia 2 Definitive Edition were my first experience of these. 

Thoughts:

Mafia Definitive Edition

Spoiler

Overall I preferred this one. 

The story was cliche, the driving was clunky, but it had me hooked from word go. The characters, the plot, the set pieces and the way the game just constantly drives you forward, no fat on these bones and a (beautiful) open world that might as well not be there. 

The game looked stunning. The facial animations and general style was great. Tommy was a good character, his story and rise was engaging and the ending - wow. I knew about it ahead of time, but even then, it was great. It all felt suitably epic, with missions that really made you feel like a big time gangster, like assassinating that politician on the boat, or breaking into the prison to kill that other politician. 

The only criticism I have of the story is how quickly it seemed to go from them loving the life to all falling apart. Also, Tommy might as well not had a wife, for all the part she played and apparently he had a daughter? :lol:

Overall, loved it. 

Fuck that racing level, though. 

Mafia 2

Spoiler

This felt like a much smaller scale story than the first game. You never really "rise" through the Mafia, you're always this low level hoodlum. Vito was a pretty bland guy with little personality. I liked the story overall, but I dunno, it just didn't feel as grand as the first game. 

I liked Joe, but there was a part in the game where he suddenly becomes Mr Serious and starts telling Vito not to screw up and it felt off, given he'd been a screw up the entire game and it was always me having to clean up his mess. I also didn't believe his reaction to Marty's death - it didn't feel earned. 

The ending was ok. I felt we didn't really know Carlo Falcone, I think I'd seen him maybe once or twice the whole game so I felt no qualms about killing him. 

The game felt a lot more clunky than Mafia DE, but that's understandable. It also felt like the game had a lot missing. Icons on the map than didn't really do anything, people that felt like they should give side missions but didn't, gaps in the story, petrol stations (I didn't even realise you had to get petrol, it never came up. I had to Google what they were for!). 

The 14th mission went on too long, with too much busy work, not helped by the bug I encountered meaning I had to do the whole chapter twice. Going to kill Tommy, escaping the cops, going to see Derek and then the shootout in the warehouse, having to scrap cars to make money to pay Bruno, driving round to about three or four places to find Joe, escaping the construction site, driving to Bruno to pay him off...way too much! Should have been two chapters. 

I liked the ending, with Joe being taken off, presumably to die like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. The last line of the game being "sorry, kid, but Joe wasn't part of our deal" as Vito just looks into the middle distance, the camera rises and pans over the city and then hits the credits...brave ending and worked well, I thought, though obviously paled in comparison to the ending of the first game. 

Overall really liked it, but preferred the first.

Is the Mafia 2 DLC worth it?

On to Mafia 3! I'm not looking forward to this one as much purely because I understand it's more GTA/Ubisoft shite rather than the tight focused story of the first two. We'll see. 

42 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Is the Mafia 2 DLC worth it?

Oh god no. No no no. You know how these games are so good because they don't do the tedious sandbox icon checklist busywork? Well, they listened to idiots who wanted it to be more like that and they responded with the DLC. It's shite.

3 is well worth it for the story. Ignore all the collectibles* and side missions.

*I may have picked up some Playboys somehow