Superman and Lois (2021)

JohnC

https://deadline.com/2019/10/superman-lois-tv-series-tyler-hoechlin-elizabeth-tulloch-star-development-the-cw-1202770637/

Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch are reprising their roles as Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane for their own show. It's getting a standalone pilot rather than a backdoor pilot in Supergirl. Probably no point going into what a Superman and Lois show would be about at this point, they are known well enough now.

Written by Helbing, based on the DC characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Superman & Lois revolves around the world’s most famous Super Hero and comic books’ most famous journalist as they deal with all the stress, pressures and complexities that come with being working parents in today’s society.

Has this not been done already???

MV5BZTU1ZGFjNzEtZWYzZC00ZmI0LTg2NmMtN2YyNTY4YzhlODIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_.thumb.jpg.26cf91c95db597654debaddcb36cce2c.jpg

• 2 months later...

No surprise really. They've already proven they have great chemistry and Hoechlin is a great Superman so far. My only issue is that he's already been operating as Superman in this universe for a while now, and fought many of his threats. Including Lex Luthor. Who do they go with for main villain?

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

No surprise really. They've already proven they have great chemistry and Hoechlin is a great Superman so far. My only issue is that he's already been operating as Superman in this universe for a while now, and fought many of his threats. Including Lex Luthor. Who do they go with for main villain?

190319D5-4CE5-489F-AB4C-CE869A8572A7.jpeg.ac9ca635ff8eb557e834af36c55e3b88.jpeg

Post Crisis Spoilers

Well the world has changed. He now has 2 (or more) boys.

Lex is a beloved businessman, runs the DEO,  and Nobel Peace Prize winner (can a run for White House be far behind? :D) - although they might keep Supergirl dealing with that in season 5. It's quite fun watching happy, upbeat Kara absolutely loathe Lex every chance she gets.

• 3 months later...

I’m already exhausted by the articles being written about the title, but that’s the title. Our 90s Superman leant into being a 90s superman pretty hard with “the new adventures of Lois and Clark” and that guy turned out to be a complete Trumper antithesis to the brand.

It’s a fun window into what’s happening behind the scenes in the industry. An announcement with an eye to air next January with a reduced episode count, having not actually filmed anything.

I think Sephiroth has been great on his occasional Supergirl and Arroverse appearances, But he’s always been portraying the myth, the icon. I guess I’m looking forward to this? Supergirl is in year 5 so they could be aiming to wind down, but then it’s CW so I’ll be happy to retire with a grey Kara or whatever way that works.

Very curious to see why they’re doing this, creatively.. Throw superman on something and you’re selling product, but someone somewhere is locked down trying to justify a script for superman that doesn’t work for Supergirl.

• 7 months later...

Good call nipping the cape straps thing in the bud. And now we know Supergirl is ending with season 6.

That's a shame, but it's probably time and it gives this so much more freedom. I guess this was always the plan.

I eagerly await the annual Melissa cameo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really enjoyed that, a slow pace but pretty much perfet enough to let everything settle in and slot into place, it also looks nothing like a Berlanti Arrowverse CW show, it's beautifully shot and lit and looks amazing in some scenes, it's very cinematic in its look.

8/10 for me.

The first episode of this screened last night.. general opinion seems to have been overwhelmingly positive and that it feels and looks to be a step up from the rest of the Arrowverse shows.. at least so far..

32 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

I really enjoyed that, a slow pace but pretty much perfet enough to let everything settle in and slot into place, it also looks nothing like a Berlanti Arrowverse CW show, it's beautifully shot and lit and looks amazing in some scenes, it's very cinematic in its look.

8/10 for me.

Is it showing in the UK anywhere?

It didn’t feel like part of the Arrowverse at all with its look and style. 

The big fight at the end made the similar one from crisis look pathetic. 

Interested to see where it goes - not sold on the kids, but the title characters feel right 

41 minutes ago, Hexx said:

It didn’t feel like part of the Arrowverse at all with its look and style. 

The big fight at the end made the similar one from crisis look pathetic. 

Interested to see where it goes - not sold on the kids, but the title characters feel right 

It definitely felt like it had a budget the other Arrowverse series can currently dream of. We will see if it can be maintained post the pilot. 

I also enjoyed it and curious to see where it goes. It will be a delicate balancing act to end up to veering too much in one story direction or another. Reminds me slightly of Arrow's pilot, lots going on (both hero wise and personal life wise) and a serious tone. 5 years later and we have a sidekick called Wild Dog....

I didn't even think of Jimmy! I thought it was a shame Kara wasn't there for Martha's funeral, but even setting aside not wanting a distracting stunt cameo in the pilot there was maternity and covid. I imagine he'll show up but be recast with a Crisis handwave. They can get away with a recast of General Lane and Morgan Edge without mention, but they'll probably need to hang a lantern on it if they want to use Jimmy. And they should.

Spoiler

So is Master Chief one of the kids, or what?

Just now, JohnC said:

They showed him at the end.

Reveal hidden contents

And his name is Luthor.

So they did. :lol:

I guess I really can pay more attention to work than background distractions. Why did I ever do this job in an office..

I was pleasantly surprised by this. The opening back story bit was great (take notes Zack!), and it's no mandalorian with its fancy unreal sets, but the budget/quality of the cgi is vastly better than supergirl and the other cw shows. 

My only bummer is I really don't think either the actor for Clark or Lois fits very well, with, at least my internal view of the characters. 

I think this looks a lot like the 70s/80s "classic" Superman that's clearly influenced everything since.  However, I'm still a bit confused as to why Warner are using a different actor to the films.  Don't they (or maybe the TV producers don't like) like Henry Cavill?