IGNORED

Superman and Lois (2021)

JohnC

2 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

I think this looks a lot like the 70s/80s "classic" Superman that's clearly influenced everything since.  However, I'm still a bit confused as to why Warner are using a different actor to the films.  Don't they (or maybe the TV producers don't like) like Henry Cavill?

The TV and movie stuff is separate. Both have several of the same characters, but with different actors.

Plus, imagine having to make a TV show on a TV budget, but having Henry Cavill's paycheque to pay. And his availability.

3 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

True.  But Marvel seem to kinda do it - Loki is getting his own series, Vision has his own, etc. with the same lead actors.  Not criticising, just think it's interesting that they have different approaches.

Those have much bigger budgets than a normal TV show. They're even made by movie studios rather than TV studios. They're really movie quality products masquerading as TV. And a very limited run rather than potential multi year series. 

I'm just gutted they skipped the stage when Jon Kent was a kid and best friends with Damian Wayne. 

I realise I typed that without even realising if it's Jon Kent in this show. 

Basically Supersons is brilliant and should be read. 

I'm enjoying this quite a bit. I love a bit of Supes done right, and it's good to see a show doing something a bit different at the same time. 

Also it's absolutely brilliant to see an Arrowverse show that isn't exactly the same as every other Arrowverse show, and one that seems to have had a lot more care taken over it too. Even the incidental music is pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished ep 3, and this is really "subverting my expectations" right now.

By being really good! Especially as the title just is ingrained in my brain to remind me of that cheese fest, Lois and Clark with Dean Cain.

Surprised this isn't getting more action on here tbf.

12 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

By being really good! Especially as the title just is ingrained in my brain to remind me of that cheese fest, Lois and Clark with Dean Cain.

I'm much lazier as I get older but it is a shame we don't have a UK broadcaster for this. Getting it on the high seas just means I tend to forget when and where each episode comes out and you get out of the habit. 

It is a shame day and date releases are still not a thing. 

41 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Yeah I'm waiting for a UK broadcast. I don't yarr much at all anymore. 

Unless I know something is never coming to the UK or theres a two yr delay or something. 

I've never been a huge Superman fan, but the first couple of episodes have been good. 

I'd watched some of the arrowverse shows - probably the first four seasons of Arrow and some of the others to that point. Is it worth getting the Crisis on Infinite Earths episodes to see some of this Superman's back story?

Just caught up. This one is good, huh? It still has that shine that we'll probably reflect back on in 20 years and feel naïve about. But it's trying something interesting that feels different from the other CW shows - which I would never address in the guilty pleasures thread.

Edit: Also, is that the Universal backlot? Is that Hill-Valley? I thought It was VC.

1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

I'd watched some of the arrowverse shows - probably the first four seasons of Arrow and some of the others to that point. Is it worth getting the Crisis on Infinite Earths episodes to see some of this Superman's back story?

First and finale of Supergirl S2 if you're not caught up that far, but yeah. Before that you watch the Elseworlds crossover - a google away and a good time. It introduces Lois.

Tho there've been some complicated "comic books" reasons for this maybe not lining up with that exact continuity.

Caught up on all four episodes and this is some pretty good stuff.

Wasn't a fan of the idea of an actor from Teen Wolf playing Clark, but he's pretty good and i'm loving the two kids too.

Nice to see some comic tie-in stuff with Project 7734 etc. 

As mentioned in the previous post is The Crisis the set-up for Lois, Clark and the Kids or is it worth doing Supergirl as well?

The kids are new in this, as far as I recall, although Lois and Clark have a bunch of Supergirl episodes setting them up. I don't think you'd get anything more out of this show as a result mind, as it's clearly aimed at first time viewers and who knows how much of the Supergirl stuff is even relevant after Crisis.

This seems pretty much separate from Supergirl as can be. 

There’s absolutely no need to go back and watch the 6-8 episodes they’re in. (and most of those are big crossovers like Elseworlds or Crisis where they’re guest stars)

The actors/characters were well done (TH into as Superman was a breathe of fresh air after man of steel) with good moments, that’s what got them a spin off  - but you’re not missing world  building etc

They’ve changed the premise (they’d just had a baby pre crisis) and recast/rewritten loads of characters. Watching Crisis it does nothing to set this up beyond provide a convienient hand wave of continuity for fans that’s ignored in the show.

eg they’d just had a baby. But at end Lois calls Clark to come deal with ‘the boys’. Clark and the audience are puzzled at plural and he flies off. There’s no hint in this that he’s aware timeline etc changed, he’s only known these 2 for months etc. It’s just happily it’s own thing 

39 minutes ago, Hexx said:

This seems pretty much separate from Supergirl as can be. 

There’s absolutely no need to go back and watch the 6-8 episodes they’re in. (and most of those are big crossovers like Elseworlds or Crisis where they’re guest stars)

The actors/characters were well done (TH into as Superman was a breathe of fresh air after man of steel) with good moments, that’s what got them a spin off  - but you’re not missing world  building etc

They’ve changed the premise (they’d just had a baby pre crisis) and recast/rewritten loads of characters. Watching Crisis it does nothing to set this up beyond provide a convienient hand wave of continuity for fans that’s ignored in the show.

eg they’d just had a baby. But at end Lois calls Clark to come deal with ‘the boys’. Clark and the audience are puzzled at plural and he flies off. There’s no hint in this that he’s aware timeline etc changed, he’s only known these 2 for months etc. It’s just happily it’s own thing 

Indeed. At the moment there is no indication that this is part of the Arrowverse at all apart from reusing the actors for Clark and Lois. This is no bad thing really, I've loved the Arrowverse but as with all crossovers you always end up wondering why Kara is not at the funeral or helping out with big enemy etc. 

It has been refreshing absent of world building and it also helps that it has a different visual style to the rest of the Arrowverse. 

All the CW shows I’ve watched frequently start out pretty strong, but lose their way shortly after you’ve got invested. 

Arrow; The Flash; iZombie; Supergirl; Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.... 

So far I’ve only heard good things, but think I’ll give this a couple of seasons to see if they can maintain the quality.