Superman and Lois (2021)

JohnC

So far this is really great, and a good step away from what we are used to, most notably it’s not running the usual “bad guy of the week” trope. Also  visually this is something special, it’s very much in he vein of the movies rather than the bright TV shows. Hope it can keep this up.

Latest episode is out.... pretty good, I like how it's building up to something slowly rather than try and fill each episode each week with a new storyline. 

They announced the pause pretty early, saying it is caused by a Covid break during production.

There's supposed to be 15 episodes in the first season and it won't even finish filming until July, if it goes according to the current plan.

On 13/03/2021 at 12:26, IcEBuRN said:

First 4 minutes of the pilot. Which is essentially just a scene setting background up until when the actual series starts.

Wow. That's the best 4 minutes of Superman I've seen in a long, long time. So such packed in there that hit home: the young Clark's oops face when he threw the rocket, "I remember loving Smallville", "Thanks, my Mom made it for me" (so cheesy, but Superman makes it work), "Technically you'd be the second", the music, the twins, Jordan's troubles and Clark and Lois being parents with challenges, "Trying to  make the world safer for the people I love".

Not a fan of the CW shows I've seen but this looks like it has captured some of the essence of Superman. Now to find it.

OK, so I found it. Specifically, I still have a US Google account so paid for it on the Google Play store, and it doesn't geolock content (top tip), so I could watch it.

I have to say. I'm a little disappointed.

The plot with 'Jeff Bezos' and Captain you know who, is just terrible. All the actors involved in that sub-plot have no charisma or screen presence. And I hate how Lois' Dad has been written and portrayed... I can see a mile off he's going to make a stupid illogical decision at some point.

The family drama stuff is much better, but not much different to almost any US weekly drama although I do like the relationship between the twins. The way the main actor plays Clark and Superman is also a bit weird (to me). Clark is so different to Superman it's like a different character. I understand that is supposed to be that way to a certain extent, but he comes across as a bit, well... wet. Finally, I think Lois and Clark have a drinking problem. Everytime there is a little stress, out comes the red wine, or shots of tequila. However, I respect the verisimilitude of that, as if I had a the burden of being the world's saviour, parenting two hormonal teenage boys, and living in Shitsville, Kansas, I might turn to the bottle too.

All in all, I see the potential, and I hope there are some standout episodes in the season, but my expectations have been tempered.

• 1 month later...

Still really enjoying this - the focus on ongoing plot helps rather than CW monster of week 

Did not see the 

Spoiler

Steele

Reveal coming 

Yep, really enjoying this too. No idea what the budget of this is but the production values and writing are putting stablemates like the Flash to shame. 

I'd be fairly happy for the current arrowverse to quietly wind down and be replaced by similar content of this quality. 

The Flash is just terrible now, looks so cheap and just takes place in the same three locations. It's been renewed but hopefully it can go out on its own terms next season. 

The kids are still the worst most punchable pair you knew in school, but this Superman is good enough to push through that.

With different casting of the kids I’d have a better time with it, but it works.

20 hours ago, makkuwata said:

The kids are still the worst most punchable pair you knew in school, but this Superman is good enough to push through that.

With different casting of the kids I’d have a better time with it, but it works.

I actually like the kent kids. Their bond comes across as wholesome and on the right side of corny.

I warming to new Hocklin as Supes as well. He's no Brandon Routh, but he obviously improved his shape since the supergirl days (still not enough to need padding, but hey), and he plays a decent clark and superman. 

Can't be arsed to spoiler tag this bit, so I'll be very vague. The mystery guy that crops up in the first episode...His motivations don't stand up to more than literally half a second thought without being absolutely ridiculous, and it's really bugging me, like, cmon man! Other than that, It's a refreshing increase on story and visual quality from the original Arrowverse stuff. But we all know how they end up after a couple of seasons...

I think I’ve been influenced on the portrayal of the kids by a very believable account of someone on Reddit who went to school with the curly haired one and relayed how he’s a dick.

The reveal to me was a little obvious with the suit / daughter and all but with the whole multiverse thing I was even wondering if we would see a nice take on Calvin Ellis.

Nice to see a change from an ally though.

I'm warming to this each and every week and can even look past the casting from Nip/Tuck as General Lane.

It's a step up in every way from the rest of the Arrowverse, at least in the state the shows were in the last time I watched them. I was worried we were going to see 

Spoiler

Irons become a one-note "I hate Superman" man for the rest of the season, like Lena in Supergirl with her ridiculous honesty thing, so it was very refreshing to see that flipped around so soon. 

I think the family dynamic works really well too, and it could so easily have been awful. The kids feel very human, and their adolescent drama is treated with a decent amount of nuance. 

And of course the Superman stuff is just great.

Of man this week's episode was great. 

Didn't see that reveal coming!

Can't wait to see which version of the character they are going to use, and i know i'll get flack for saying it but Curly Haired Kryptonian Kid wasn't too annoying this time round. 

So good.

I mean it's not outstanding or best thing ever - but it's so consistently solid with an excellent handle on the characters and storytelling 

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

So good.

I mean it's not outstanding or best thing ever - but it's so consistently solid with an excellent handle on the characters and storytelling 

Like you say it's consistent. 

I don't find all the characters annoying like I did with Arrow & Flash and there seems to be some good steady progression. 

My only fear is that pulling out the big storylines so early on will give them very little to work with as the time goes on, although logically I can imagine them moving back to Metropolis to all more frequently used Superman Villains to appear. 

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

Like you say it's consistent. 

I don't find all the characters annoying like I did with Arrow & Flash and there seems to be some good steady progression. 

My only fear is that pulling out the big storylines so early on will give them very little to work with as the time goes on, although logically I can imagine them moving back to Metropolis to all more frequently used Superman Villains to appear. 

It was originally only a 13 episode first season though. I don't know when they got told about the extension, but presumably we're still seeing original paced stuff.

Hopefully the second half of season won't be draw down/saggy as a result

I liked the episode again, but I think someone may have sent the wrong video file for broadcast, or it wasn't finished in time. There were two consecutive shots labelled like this.

WCanWKg.jpg

I thought this week's episode wasn't as good as the wrap up of the Edgelord stuff (even though that was over too quick).

That action comics cover riff was pretty good though, I did crack a big smile at that! 

Although i don't always like flashback episodes it was done nicely which allowed us to see some different sides to the maincast even if it was in the form of earlier version of themselves. 

I loved it again too. All that flashback stuff was handled perfectly. :D

I'm a bit worried about how the rest was handled though.

Spoiler

It made sense that Supes would submit to Edge with his family's safety on the line, but it seems like a bit of a stretch for him to seemingly turn evil after a bit of torture. Hopefully things aren't quite what they seem.

I could have watched so much more of the first 30 minutes - these 2 have such good chemistry and handles on the characters, coming back to normal at the end was shame (although still good)

Spoiler

Uncle Morgan

slayed me :D

• 1 month later...

And we're done!

Thoroughly good season throughout and notably stronger than most current CW stuff (Legends is it's own incomparable thing)

A couple of miss steps but generally consistently solid throughout - with some high moments (usually anything involving the 2 leads and nostalgia :D) and few very very low. (Can Jordan be chucked next season though please )