IGNORED

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mogster

57 minutes ago, MDY said:

Going to have to go back and watch the original TOS episode that ep10 revisits..

Reveal hidden contents

Balance of Terror

..to remind myself how it was supposed to play out..

The main thing it kinda of explains why Ortegas was acting the way she did. Someone had to fill that role from the original 

Oooohhh, that was fucking brilliant!  What an absolutely sensational first season. More please!

Spoiler

The guy they got playing the romulan commander was superb, definitely channelling Andrea's Katsulas' Tomalak from TNG (albeit, more amenable) rather than the TOS Spock's Dad version. 

On 05/07/2022 at 13:18, Halkyon said:

I'm actually worried about trying it after STD and Picard were so offensively poor.

Really? Promise?

I was behind on this, and blasted through the first eight episodes one after the other. I genuinely couldn't wait to watch the next episode. It's honestly great.

Interesting finale, I read the episode plot this was taken from

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Balance_of_Terror_(episode)

it is 95% similar, even down to the line

Spoiler

"I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend"

Not a brilliant episode, but still good.

I want to know just how we've ended up with the best opening season of Trek despite a large amount of the production crew behind it being involved with the absolute turds of Picard and Discovery. 

By rights this should have been an outright disaster, yet it nailed it from the get go. Anson Mount, Peck and the rest of the actors FIRMLY established themselves within moments. Just a stark contrast to discovery

5 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Interesting finale, I read the episode plot this was taken from

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Balance_of_Terror_(episode)

it is 95% similar, even down to the line

Reveal hidden contents

"I regret that we meet in this way. You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend"

That was the point. An alternate history of those events if Pike changed his fate. 

9 hours ago, Spartan said:

I want to know just how we've ended up with the best opening season of Trek despite a large amount of the production crew behind it being involved with the absolute turds of Picard and Discovery. 

By rights this should have been an outright disaster, yet it nailed it from the get go. Anson Mount, Peck and the rest of the actors FIRMLY established themselves within moments. Just a stark contrast to discovery

Throw enough shit at the wall...

Actually I'm sure that while certain individuals are clearly involved in all the new shows, they must have a bunch of people dedicated to a single show in order to get them all out at the pace they do. Maybe SNW's team is just better?

Also, I get the impression that a big reason for the quality of SNW is that it was clearly made as a Star Trek show for Star Trek fans. Discovery on the other hand was just an attempt at a "prestige" TV show using a recognisable brand. I don't know what they were thinking with Picard...

You guys lied. 21 minutes into the first episode and we've already got a captain with PTSD having hallucinations and flashbacks/flashforwards being put in charge of a mission against his will, sexy Vulcans, heavy expositional dialogue, 20 year olds in senior positions, ADHD pacing, and irritating quipping.

Hope it improves.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Also, try not to use ADHD as a pejorative. 

Sorry I can see how that is unpleasant. In my mind I thought of it less as a perjorative and more of a classification - sped up to match the 'grammar' of modern television where I find myself increasingly curmudgeonly and wanting things to slow down. Lazy phrasing nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, layten said:

That may be, but the montage after Pike's big speech is pure Trek.

Oh definitely. The whole season has been wonderful, but I remember merely liking the first episode instead of living it like some of the later ones. 

9 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

Sorry I can see how that is unpleasant. In my mind I thought of it less as a perjorative and more of a classification - sped up to match the 'grammar' of modern television where I find myself increasingly curmudgeonly and wanting things to slow down. Lazy phrasing nonetheless.

The first episode had quite a lot to introduce, as well as tell a self-contained story, so it does calm down a little after that. The episodes are quite varied, and every member of the cast gets time to shine as the series progresses.

Giving episode two a go. Still an awful lot of telling rather than showing to "develop" these characters, as it is quite clear they're clumsily trying to do.

Yet I agree it in a different league to STD & Picard, but that shouldn't be difficult.

I saw this had been getting good reviews and then reading this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. The first few pages are people slamming their heads on the wall wondering why Kurtzman and co got given the reigns... so how did this actually turn out good? I'm going to have to watch it now given all the praise!

Also do you need to have watched all of Discovery to know the characters/plotlines in Strange New Worlds? I only watched Season 1 of Discovery as it gradually went down the shitter and gave up on it after that. Didn't bother with Picard either given the panning it got. And its been decades since I watched any of the old Trek series. Still worth watching even with that in mind or will all the references be lost on me?

2 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I saw this had been getting good reviews and then reading this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. The first few pages are people slamming their heads on the wall wondering why Kurtzman and co got given the reigns... so how did this actually turn out good? I'm going to have to watch it now given all the praise!

A big part of it is probably Kurtzman and his team were stubbornly sticking to their original vision for Discovery and Picard, with season long storylines they didn’t have the skill to manage, and have finally admitted defeat by adopting the original, self contained structure of Star Trek. 

I’m convinced it’s their dedication to the ‘mystery box’ style of plotting that led to them deviating from the original formula. You can’t do a self contained mystery box episode every week, but it’s far easier to implement with season spanning plots. 

I don’t think you’ll need to have watched Discovery, if you know about Pike’s appearance in TOS. The only additional thing, which is clear enough in the show anyway, is that in his Discovery appearances, he became aware of his fate. 

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Also do you need to have watched all of Discovery to know the characters/plotlines in Strange New Worlds? 

No. Spock in SNW is nothing to do with Spock in Discovery.

Pike was in Discovery too but not in anyway meaningful character/story arc that impacted SNW (bar one I'll come onto in a minute)

You "need" to know that this is before TOS. I forget the exact timeline but about 6-8 years before.

They've been at war with the Klingons recently.

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO MENTION DISCOVERY, WHAT HAPPENED TO IT OR SPOCKS SISTER. It's a huge classified secret That it's a classified secret is a classified secret. Think a Super-Injunction in the UK on crack. NO ONE CAN TALK ABOUT IT. (Yes that's a real plot point. I only mention it, as stupid as it is, as it's briefly referenced in episode 1)

The one thing you really need to know (although the show recaps it well) is that at the end of Discovery S2. Pike became aware of a specific event in his future, and in knowing about it it became "unavoidable". (He chose to experience the knowledge (although not what it was until it occurred) and it's locked in nature as he had to touch a Klingon Monk's time crystal so that Discovery could STUPID STUPID STUPID.)

He saw the accident that leads to this in TOS

pike1new.jpg

So that's why Pike might be a bit down at the start of SNW

Thanks folks. I have looked Pike up on Wikipedia now which does a good job of summarising what happens to him in the old series. I do vaguely recall them but I was a kid watching them at teatime in those days!

Just two last questions:

In Discovery, does Pike also see that he'll eventually be cured by the aliens on that planet thanks to Spock and get to live happily ever after? Or does he only see his miserable existence post-accident?

Are Discovery and Strange New Worlds set in the same timeline as the original Star Trek and TNG? Or is it one of the alternate timelines. So hard to keep track of because they keep messing with this stuff!

1 minute ago, Alan Stock said:

Just two last questions:

In Discovery, does Pike also see that he'll eventually be cured by the aliens on that planet thanks to Spock and get to live happily ever after? Or does he only see his miserable existence post-accident?

Are Discovery and Strange New Worlds set in the same timeline as the original Star Trek and TNG? Or is it one of the alternate timelines. So hard to keep track of because they keep messing with this stuff!

No and same timeline as the originals

3 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Is Discovery and Strange New Worlds set in the same timeline as the original Star Trek and TNG? Or is it one of the alternate timelines. So hard to keep track of because they keep messing with this stuff!

I'm not rewatching Discovery but I'm 99% sure he sees the accident and his "chair state" after. That's it.

Yeah Discovery and SNW is in the "normal" timeline. (i.e. not the Abram's movies).

This means you have to accept that special effects/tech is updated to modern television standards. SNW does a better job of looking like a "modern version of TOS era aesthetic"*. I don't think Discovery even tried.

(*Although the size of Pike's Captain quarters are absolutely bonkers. You could probably fit all the original TOS sets in there)

Cheers.

Yeah, definitely agree about the effects and design in Discovery. Yes its a fictional show and you have to suspend belief for modern productions and what audiences expect. But its pretty immersion-breaking to look at anything in Discovery and think 'yeah this all happened X years before the original Star Trek'. The ship designs, the sets, the effects, the technology, the costume design... it all screams at least post-TNG. Nothing in Discovery looks remotely like the original series. From what I've seen it looks like they've done a bit better in this regard on Strange New Worlds. I never watched Enterprise but from what I've seen that did a half decent job of having a modern take on what pre-original Trek might have looked like as well.

It was pretty jarring when the Enterprise showed up in Discovery, with its updated TOS style sets and uniforms seen alongside Discovery's weirdness. 

Aside from a few references though, Strange New Worlds feels like a proper modern take on the TOS era, and certainly meshes better with the TOS movies.

29 minutes ago, sandman said:

Hang on a minute. There's a new Star Trek tv show that's actually.........good?

There's 3!

This, Lower Decks and Prodigy.

45 minutes ago, sandman said:

I'd heard of Lower Decks, but not Prodigy. Neither seem my kind of thing.

Lower Decks is amazing. A real love letter to TNG and DS9. You can tell the writers have a lot of love for Star Trek of that era.