IGNORED

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mogster

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

They claim it'll be mostly episodic. There may be a thread running or whatever, but it's supposed to be a new story each episode.

Yep, though La’an makes me think otherwise. 

Not terrible, not great. Some good signs, some bad. It's a pretty solid pilot - although it's so on the nose and heavy handed it's makes it hard to like it

Spoiler

NO ONE WILL EVER MENTION DISCOVERY AGAIN OR ELSE lasted 1 episode :lol:

Well that’s because 

Spoiler

Even when Discovery is in a different show and a different century, everyone should be asking “Where’s Discovery?”

A very promising start. Bit slow to get going but overall a good low stakes first episode with no universe shattering threat to deal with. Liked the cast a lot. Very pleased that

Spoiler

Pike is very open that he knows exactly how and when he's going to become bootleg Davros

Some bits really need you to suspend your disbelief. Especially since transporters definitely can't do that but yeah. I'm cautiously optimistic.

On 03/05/2022 at 16:49, davidcotton said:

June 22nd for paramount plus it seems. 

Another subscription service? Guess I'm never seeing this, then.

Just started watching this and I'm not sure if it's just because it's available in 4k (Dolby vision can't be played on PC or via the OS on an LG so no HDR yet) but holy shit, it looks night and day slicker and prettier than picard, which I watched just a bit earlier. Like it was made 10 years later!

21 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Comes with sky if you have the cinema package I believe. 

Nope. Had hoped it'd follow Discovery or Picard onto Netflix or Amazon Prime but I wasn't up to date with all the Netflix/Paramount nonsense. Oh well.

I enjoyed that, although I do have a couple of issues.

Spoiler

I might have missed something, but am I right in thinking the aliens developed their "warp bomb" purely because they were able to view the Discovery S2 space battle through a telescope? Seems a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

Also I wasn't a fan of emo security chief with her dark past.

Oh, and "prime directive? It'll never catch on". <_<

Otherwise that was way closer to proper Trek than just about anything from the new live action shows. It even had a conference room scene.

Nah, you got the same I did. 

Spoiler

I don't think it's much of a stretch though, if you think about how our science and world view would change over night if we could observe things like that first hand and start theorising and extrapolating.

The timeline though, yeah. It may change our course of science, but how long is it in the show, a couple of years? Maybe add another zero on there...

Oh thank god. 

They actually made a good Star Trek show. 

I liked that, little condensed and fast paced but it's INFINITELY better than Picard or discovery and has likeable characters

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Oh thank god. 

They actually made a good Star Trek show. 

I liked that, little condensed and fast paced but it's INFINITELY better than Picard or discovery and has likeable characters

Yep, this. I’m so relieved it’s really good classic style Trek. 

12 hours ago, layten said:

Best episode of live action 'Kurtzman Trek' so far. But then again Picard and Discovery had a few decent season opening episodes.

Precisely. The established pattern is for these series’ to start out promising then steadily descend into mediocrity. It’s like they put all their effort into the first two or three episodes to draw in subscribers. I’ll be waiting to see how the first season is regarded before taking a look. 

Its 'modern' it it's execution - this isn't TNG, DS9 or VOY 2.

Based in the first episode though it  stays true to Trek's ideas.  Nothing overly heavy but there's sincere talks about explore vs fight and so on. Enough that it feels more than lip service. I could see these characters doing Measure of a Man etc style sci fi episodes. 

it looks lush too. Absolutely stunning, proper movie quality, TV sure has come a long way the last 10 years and I hope they keep it up, the Orville looks a lot like TNG and it looks really cheap when compared with this. 

Looking forward to next week, a Star Trek TV show i can be excited for, hasn't happened since I heard the line "It's been a long road, getting from there to here" and exclaiming "WTF is this shit!".

Anyway, I really enjoyed this. I'd say it makes the Orville look like a joke, but it didn't need any help in that regard.

I thought that was brilliant! And it was all very star Trek. Really looking forward to see where it goes.

Spoiler

Not my words Carol, the words of the Rllmuk Discovery thread.

Spoiler

spacer.png

On 05/05/2022 at 19:17, IcEBuRN said:

(Dolby vision can't be played on PC or via the OS on an LG so no HDR yet)

What do you mean by "via the OS"? I'm watching a 4k Dolby Vision rip right now on my LG C9, and it's showing in Dolby Vision via an external HDD plugged in via USB.

Spoiler

The bit after the scene with Pike's big speech to the people of the planet definitely didn't give me a lump in my throat.

Trek, at least for that moment, was back, and I fucking loved it.

Does this have characters from and references to Discovery (I only watched halve of S1 of Discovery)?

I didn't understand most of the back story from the characters. Was is all referring to things that happened in Discovery?

Spoiler

Pike's death, the 1st officer, the security officer / first officer, Spock, the other crew like the doctor.

What was Kirk doing there in the end, is it James T. Kirk's father?

Some reference to Discovery, some to the original series, which is basically what Discovery was also referencing with some of these characters.

I’m amazed it was good. 

A nice self contained story, nothing immediately jumped out as not making sense. Nobody even cried! 

Im not convinced it won’t shit the bed next week, I totally skipped the ‘this season on...’ trailer nonsense tv shows insist on these days. but once more I have hopes that Star Trek can be good again.