IGNORED

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Mogster

8 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Well this is fucking decent isn’t it? 3 episodes in on Paraplus and really enjoying it.

Fucking hell. I read this and thought 'I don't remember a planet Paraplus in ep3?' Then it dawned on me :facepalm:

Shoot me now.

But yes, it is a thoroughly decent series so far and I'm very much enjoying it (Anson Mount is far too handsome to be allowed to live tho).

9 minutes ago, Scruff said:

(Anson Mount is far too handsome to be allowed to live tho).

He is fucking ridiculous! Like Riker, the way he swaggered about knowing everyone wanted to pump him but somehow better looking and more charismatic. 

Also, when you get a wide angle on Spock he looks absolutely hench :lol: his legs look like those of a Champions League level wing back.

Great start to new Star Trek all round and the annual Starfleet calendar is safe with these guys slotted into important months. 

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Ep 9

Hide contents

FFS, not Hemmer :(

That surprised me. 

Spoiler

I was worried he was infected when he got hit, but I assumed they'd figure out a way to save him. Clearly not. :(

That was very Alien, even more so than that Orville episode a couple of weeks back. It was good though, and a massive shift from last week.

I hadn't realised that next week's would be the last of the season. I'm going to miss this. :(

On 30/06/2022 at 19:35, Mogster said:

I hadn't realised that next week's would be the last of the season. I'm going to miss this. :(

Wait, what? FFS, this should be a 24 episode season!

Best Trek since DS9 (fuck you Enterprise and Voyager fans!) :bye:

Caught the first two episodes and really enjoying it.  One thing that strikes me is the lack of personnel in terms of extras which make the sets look a bit empty considering the size of them. 

On 27/05/2022 at 19:16, layten said:

Anyone that has been put off Trek by Discovery and Picard really should give this a go.

I'm actually worried about trying it after STD and Picard were so offensively poor.

Really? Promise?

25 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

I'm actually worried about trying it after STD and Picard were so offensively poor.

Really? Promise?

It’s proper old school trek. Best from the franchise since DS9. 

Until Strange New Worlds the last time I could honestly say I was really enjoying Star Trek was when a certain over powered, unmanageable, almost arrogant little ship called The Defiant appeared on my screen. I'm not sure there is any higher praise I can give it.

I hated Picard. I'm fine with Discovery but the way it tells a story and uses the characters is frustrating and disappointing. Strange New Worlds is none of these. It's Trek right down to the bones and the first time it's been "modernised" properly since the TNG/DS9/Voyager days. I hope we get a very long and successful run. I love all the characters and unlike Discovery they're getting chances to shine and be someone other than "The one that sits at the front" or "The one that stands behind the screen and pretends to do tactical"

Episode 5 is just another perfect example of how well measured everything about this show is. It is fucking hilarious and fully intends to be, but its done with such care that it never distracts from the very well established themes and setting. Absolutely love this!

Spoiler

The scene were Spock and T'Pring tell Pike about the mind swap is genius and played amazingly by the three of them. 

Going to have to go back and watch the original TOS episode that ep10 revisits..

Spoiler

Balance of Terror

..to remind myself how it was supposed to play out..

33 minutes ago, MDY said:

Going to have to go back and watch the original TOS episode that ep10 revisits..

Hide contents

Balance of Terror

..to remind myself how it was supposed to play out..

It's one of the best!

This was really good too. It cheats a bit by being so short by comparison, but I think this was the most consistently great season of any Star Trek show so far.