First ever game you ever owned

I got the ZX Spectrum +2 Action Pack for Christmas, which had a disappointing version of Operation Wolf and (thrillingly) Bullseye, included on a multi-pack of tapes.

The first game I remember owning and playing was The Colour of Magic though, which my parents bought along with the Spectrum.

hqdefault.jpg.240e6a2ace3e8aa73b2ba53d82e0b650.jpg

• Upvote 2

My Mum & Nan gave me a Master System for my earliest remembered birthday and it came with Sonic the Hedgehog as a boxed copy and Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the console itself. I was dead happy.

My earliest 2 gaming memories are asking my Nan to help me compete the 1st underwater octopus Boss in Alex Kidd and Nan helping me for so long, I eventually commented ‘Do you smell burning Nan?’

She had put something in the microwave and forgot about it because of helping me beat the level, it set fire to the food. Luckily, the kitchen didn’t burn down.

My other earliest memory is on holiday in Bournemouth with family and coming across a Virtua Racing sit down machine. I was so in awe after seeing it, then playing it, I threw a strop when my 1 credit was up and had to leave.

• Upvote 2
On 16/05/2020 at 18:20, Dimahoo said:

image.png.fe5cb0be4b3a9294b93004ae590a82a2.png

I didn’t know there was a Tandy version. 

Mine looked like this.

3E9223D2-1B50-474D-9585-582C3A3A002D.jpeg

Then we had a Dragon 32 with it’s *very* colourful interpretation of Space Invaders.

45580532-5E2B-44F9-8964-8F69418F8513.png

Before all of those we had a Grandstand TV game thing, with Tennis, Football etc, but that was something my dad had bought so doesn't really count.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Kieran said:

I remember getting a spectrum 48 for Christmas and buying this from the Newsagent.

Jumping Jack. It ended up being one of my most played games purely because it never failed to load.

69BFBFCB-28AF-4B83-B7E7-94A5224D3FEE.jpeg

my first game as well - my original speccy for Xmas was faulty and this was the only game that worked for some reason. 
 I can mostly also remember the poem it gave you. 

Before that I had Astro Wars as well. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Mortis said:

my first game as well - my original speccy for Xmas was faulty and this was the only game that worked for some reason. 
 I can mostly also remember the poem it gave you. 

Before that I had Astro Wars as well. 

Jumping Jack was quick and bold.

Something something this story will unfold.

• Upvote 2

Stock Car on the Acorn Electron which we got at Christmas. 

I remember my Grandad setting it all up and then playing it with him. It's a really happy memory as it's before he needed his oxygen bottle/mask. 

It's probably the reason I still game today. 

I guessed I'd have 5 or 6 and looking on Wikipedia I'd have been 5 the Christmas of its release. 

Loved that game. 

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, geldra said:

I had this:

tomy-electric---galaxy-patrol-space-turb

Tomy’s Space Turbo.  It was fucking gash.  It does look like it should be amazing though.  

it’s unsurprising that as an adult I have an obsession with arcade machines and plastic tat. 

I had one of these and completely forgot about it! 

I am also obsessed with arcade sticks. Tomy = subliminal messaging :lol:

• Upvote 3

This was mine

The first computer game I paid my own money for was

As you might imagine I was disapointed

However the first game I owned came with the Vic 20 and was

*Edit* Later I bought my first text adventure and was gutted to find out it only had 6 locations

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

I didn’t know there was a Tandy version. 

Mine looked like this. Then we had a Dragon 32 with it’s version. 

3E9223D2-1B50-474D-9585-582C3A3A002D.jpeg

My brother had one of these. My first machine was this one

image.png.7fc5573204651df3ebf52b2c82f46be4.png

And it made me the most popular kid in school on end of term toy day. Had some great times with that!

My first 'console' was a ZX81, but I have no clue what the first game I had on it was. Got it christmas 1982 with the 16K ram pack. 

• Upvote 1

Another Astrowars lad here, it continued to work for ages and was still at my parents house until the 2000's.

I had a Spectrum 16k and the first game I can remember getting was Arcadia

Played it to death and had many battles with my brother trying to rack up the highest score.

• Upvote 1

I struggle to remember the off-brand LCD handhelds that I had - one was a racing game which was actually pretty fun, but it may not actually have been mine:

hqdefault.jpg

Similarly, I can't recall if I bought any Amstrad CPC games of my own to use on my brother's computer. 

So I'll skip to what I definitely know. When I was about 13 or 14 (so around 95-96), I bought a second hand Game Boy with five games, for the princely sum of £6. Among them were Soccer, Mario & Yoshi and Super Mario Land, and I can't for the life of me remember which of the carts I have made up the other two. Super Mario Land 2, maybe? I've got it, but I could well have picked it up later.  Mario & Yoshi I found a little boring after a wall. Super Mario Land is a classic. Soccer is pretty ubiquitous, I think, it's a port of the Striker series and I enjoyed it a lot.

• Upvote 2

The first game I owned was a Pong knock off console with variations of Pong. They were Ice Hockey, Football, Tennis, Squash, Handball and some shooting game. My father brought it back from a trip to Scotland in 1979 and I was the first kid in the street to have any kind of console. 

The first game I bought for my own cash was the NES that came bundled with Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros. and the Zapper. That was in 1986 I think. 

• Upvote 1
On 16/05/2020 at 18:22, Mr Do 71 said:

Make a chip, Survivial, and Horace goes Skiing that came with my 48k Spectrum.

IMG_3412.JPG.47051673191763b08a59d947641f7c81.JPG

We had Horace too, but ours was on the all conquering Dragon 32, which i think we got when i was about 5. Our first dabble in gaming.

My dad got talked into it by the guy in the local computer store. Was fun at the time i guess.

Seems the Dragon came out in August 82, so i would of been 7 (if we bought it on release day, can you imagine the excitement!).

• Upvote 2
On 17/05/2020 at 10:56, Nequests said:

Asterix_1991_EU_Cover.jpg.8bd8207ddd4a386b5372518510de9425.jpg

This game was excellent, bit of a forgotten classic. It was probably my favourite master system game in the day. 

• Upvote 1

My dad had a bunch of games when I was a kid, but they weren't really his. He definitely had a Gameboy with a copy of Tetris, and he borrowed another Gameboy for link up and SNES, Master System and Mega Drive consoles at various points. We definitely had a Saturn, right around launch when I can't imagine anyone would have lent him one. Now that I'm writing it out, maybe my dad's generous friends who lent him consoles didn't exist and he just bought and sold them. I was never allowed to own any games though. My memories before my eleventh birthday are all a haze of temporary games and consoles that I never got to play for any length of time. The only things I remember really playing a lot are Tetris and the copies of Super Mario Land and Zelda that I borrowed off a friend for literally a year or two. 

My parents told me I could have a games consoles for my eleventh birthday, right before I went to secondary school. As my only real experience was with Nintendo, I wanted an N64. Nobody else I knew had one, but I think that just made it more exciting. I used to bed my parents to take me to Toys R Us just so I could watch the demo of Mario 64 play (the controller was unplugged). I bought an N64 magazine and devoured it, I knew everything about that console. My Dad was keen to get me a Playstation, primarily because of the price but also because he wanted to buy Time Crisis. But I argued for weeks. As my birthday approached, I was pretty sure I'd convinced them. Then I walked into the front room one day and saw an advert on the TV.

Literally changed my life. Lead to my interests in JRPG games, anime and Japanese culture. Shaped me as a person.

• Upvote 4

First game I owned was probably this Systema Pinball game, which I loved (and is, honestly, probably the best LCD game I ever owned. Surprisingly replayable little thing).

545277271_SystemaPinball.jpg.23efce991481f72b379d07deba064786.jpg

As for the first non-standalone game I owned, that would be this:

My dad got for me to play on his brand new Atari STe. One of the worst platformers I've ever played. Inexplicably banging title music though, and as my first and only game for a good while I wrung a lot of enjoyment out of it nonetheless.

• Upvote 1
On 16/05/2020 at 19:58, Fusty Gusset said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.fbca9830ae5a2fefc07645b9315fbd8c.jpg

That was Christmas '81 or '82 for me. I got Munchman for christmas and a mysterious brown parcel. Played Munchman for the whole of christmas then after a couple of weeks I opened the parcel.

It was a ZX81!

first game I bought was 3D Defender.

• Upvote 2
On 16/05/2020 at 18:22, Mr Do 71 said:

Make a chip, Survivial, and Horace goes Skiing that came with my 48k Spectrum.

IMG_3412.JPG.47051673191763b08a59d947641f7c81.JPG

I got a bundle from boots, Spectrum + , this set of software, a Kempston Joystick interface and a Konix Speedking (I think).  Chequered Flag didn't work when the Kempston was attached and I had to work that one out on my own....

• Upvote 3

The first game I owned was a collection of Amsoft games that came with my Amstrad. I probably played Roland On The Ropes first. The first game I ever bought with my own money was The Apprentice by Mastetronic. I bought it due to the cartoon like cover of a wizard and it was absolute tosh.

• Upvote 1

I found this recently, in my loft. Bought in Florida in 1990 as I was there with my dad. It was either £90 or $90, one of the two. 

I still have the Gameboy too, but it’s very yellow. 

08C24293-B96B-433A-8113-A102A6346CE1.jpeg

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, strider said:

The first game I owned was a collection of Amsoft games that came with my Amstrad. I probably played Roland On The Ropes first. The first game I ever bought with my own money was The Apprentice by Mastetronic. I bought it due to the cartoon like cover of a wizard and it was absolute tosh.

The first game/s I owned was also an amsoft collection that came with my CPC 6128 I got for Christmas 1987 I think.

The first I played was Roland in Time, although the collection also had Roland on the Ropes, as well as crazy platformer called Tubaruba which I have fond memories of.

• Upvote 2