rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Kieran

Chicken Katsu Recipe

Has anyone got a really good one they can share with me? My girlfriend has never had it and I want to make her this week. Only made it once  before and I can't remember where I got the recipe from. Some of the ones I have seen look awful.

just had this tonight and been eating for a few years, its the best, better than Wagga's which is slightly different and published recently. the key to flavour is some good soy and good quality spice mixes (curry powder & garam masala)

you can buy shop chicken fillets in crumb or go posh and panko up some yourself - this is all about the sauce

came from Simon Rimmer on Sunday Brunch

Ingredients

20ml oil

2 x diced onions

4 chopped garlic cloves

2 chopped carrots

30g flour

30g curry powder

1.25ltr chicken stock

40g honey

40ml soy

1 bay leaf

7g garam masala

17g cornflour mixed with 50ml water

needs salt adding

Method

1. Cook onion, garlic, carrot for 12 minutes on medium heat to soften and caramelize.

2. Add flour and curry powder, cook for 3 minutes.

3. Gradually add the stock, mix smooth at each addition before adding more.

4. Add the honey and soy, bring to boil and add the garam masala.

5. Simmer for 20 minutes. Blend until really smooth.

6. Put back in pan, add cornflour and simmer for 5 minutes.

Cheers,  I already have the panko ready to go (was going to make some prawns, but never did). I have a few hit and miss Simon Rimmer recipes, but will give this one ago. Looks decent.

1 minute ago, Kieran said:

Cheers,  I already have the panko ready to go (was going to make some prawns, but never did). I have a few hit and miss Simon Rimmer recipes, but will give this one ago. Looks decent.

it's banging, made it so many times. I make it and then freeze up loads of 200ml pots to defrost as and when needed.

it's quite similar to the Wagga one they published this week, but I far prefer this. 

18 minutes ago, Gotters said:

it's banging, made it so many times. I make it and then freeze up loads of 200ml pots to defrost as and when needed.

it's quite similar to the Wagga one they published this week, but I far prefer this. 

Do you go for a real fine dice of the veg?

47 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Do you go for a real fine dice of the veg?

not necessary, depends on size of carrots but just small enough chunks to cook thru and soften nicely for blitzing up

A more traditional Katsu recipe wouldn't blend the carrots - they'd just be diced, along with diced potatoes too. Also, make sure you serve with fukujinzuke pickles.