For some reason I've always loved Video Game Pinball games, I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at them but they're as addictive as anything I've ever played. I just wanted to know what Pinball games of yesteryear you've played and hopefully enjoyed.

I own every Pinball game released on cartridge from the Gameboy to the DS. I finally managed to get Pinball of the Dead from here (Thanks AcidBearBoy)

There's some great ones, bizarre ones and just out right bad ones. Pacman Pinball for GBA, I'm looking at you.

So uh, yeah. PINBALL.

• Upvote 2

Good shout, I love me some video pinball. My love for it started with Slamball and Night Mission on the C64.

Nothing has ever bettered the MD version of Dragon's Fury for me, although I love Revenge of the Gator almost as much.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't say I'm a massive pinball fan but I do have a soft spot for them as I used to play a few in the 90's which I played quite a fair bit of. Pinball Fantasies on the SNES I'd play a lot and always loved the look of Pinball Dreams on the Amiga but never actually had much chance to play that. I think the first one I played on the SNES was Jaki Crush and that was quite different from your usual ones and has been mentioned on here not long back. I really got into Sonic Spinball as a kid too and never finished it but got to the final stage when I rented it. Another one of the more unique types. There was another one I only had a short time to play on the Megadrive as I'd rented it for a weekend but really loved it and that was Psycho Pinball with an armadillo or something in it. I can't remember much about it but know it was very cool. 

For years after I didn't really play anything apart from True Pinball on the Dreamcast about 10 years ago which was a lot more modern in style compared to the others and has that cool 3D look about it. Remember seeing it on the PS1 years back but don't think I played it then. Over the past few months though I have been very frequent on a website that @Wizcat posted a few months ago which lets you play a real table online. It can be plagued with lag depending on your connection (as mine can be hit or miss using a dodgy wifi connection), but it's brilliant. It's a modern Surge machine called Batman 66 and it's been fun to pop on and see familiar people playing and joining in the weekend competitions that take place each week. It's also been cool to really learn that single table and become really familiar with how it works.

You can find it here Batman 66

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

For years after I didn't really play anything apart from True Pinball on the Dreamcast about 10 years ago which was a lot more modern in style compared to the others and has that cool 3D look about it. Remember seeing it on the PS1 years back but don't think I played it then.

This is one of my most played Dreamcast games, don't think i could ever part with it! Never played the PS1 version so not sure if it's any good or there are any differences. I would doubt it apart from maybe better graphics.

I need to mention this one as well while I'm here...

image.png.dc72945ea8751eb341cbe62598e52180.png

8 hours ago, Soulstar said:

.... It's a modern Stern machine called Batman 66 and it's been fun to pop on and see familiar people playing and joining in the weekend competitions that take place each week. It's also been cool to really learn that single table and become really familiar with how it works.

You can find it here Batman 66

That's awesome. BM66 is one of my favourite machines from recent years. Highly unlikely anyone could manage this on that laggy remote play machine, but ...

https://youtu.be/GzqKmzh6gps

I would say I'm a massive fan of pinball.  My first love was Pinball Dreams on the Amiga, and a good few years later I fell in love with Star Trek TNG pinball in real-life whilst working a Saturday job.  Many more years later I went to a pinball meet, joined the amazing UK pinball community and now help organise massive pinball events up and down the country.

Those were the three most significant events, but along the way some video pinball highlights for me would be:

- Pinball Arcade (on Android tablets for me, but other platforms available).  For a good few years this set new standards in emulating real life pinball machines. As with mostly all video pinball, it still doesn't come close to the real thing, but the looks and sounds are spot on. Fantastic for picking up rules knowledge.  In the last year or two though they've lost the licence to Bally/Williams tables, so their range of tables on offer now is pretty poor.  Farsight as a developer have always had issues with bugs too, which makes it hard to strongly recommend.  (Stern Pinball Arcade, Farsight's other offering with just modern Stern tables, is a horrible bug fest for example).

- Pinball FX.  Loved this to bits.  Really well designed tables.  Some of the early tables were pretty obviously 'inspired' by real-life tables with near identical layouts, but later tables really brought some cool new features that in many cases I've considered converting to real life mechanisms.  The leaderboards and ability to compete online really helped this game to shine, though it does become an endurance marathon to really get to the top of the online tables in many cases, with some games going on for literally hours at a time.  In the last year they've acquired the Bally/Williams licence, so have started to emulate many of the classic real tables.

- Visual Pinball (PC).  For anyone not aware, this is basically the MAME equivalent of emulated pinball.  It's an absolute nightmare to set up, and requires a decent PC if you want to emulate the more modern games, but it is a really great way to try out a huge range of classic real life tables in emulated form.  If you really dig into this you can use Visual Pinball to design your own games.  I know the guy who made a load of the Alien themed VP tables (amongst others) and based on his work in VP was later hired by Heighway Pinball in the UK to actually make the real life Aliens pinball machine.

• Upvote 3

I was blown away by the use of Visual Pinball and VPinMame. It was a bit of a pain to track down all the files but some of the tables were stunning and to think they were recreations by the fan community who didn't necessarily have access to all the original assets.  Terminator 2, Lethal Weapon and Addams Family were pretty incredible, with all the sounds and artwork of the real thing. These guys worked wonders.

Playing the Pinball Fantasies / Dreams / Illusions trilogy on the Amiga was what instilled in me a love of Pinball in real life.

The Pro Pinball series from the PS1 / Windows 95 era were great too, I got a couple of those off GOG a "few" years back (I think over 10 at this point...!).

• Upvote 1

I'd add Slam Tilt to the Amiga pinball games mentioned. It was a late release on the 1200, really slick and good-looking pinball game.

Flipnic on PS2 was really interesting one, completely impossible to replicate physically. Need to fire that one up again.

• Upvote 1

Though I barely ever played any physical pinball machines (too rare and expensive in the wild), I did love pinball games. I have particular fondness for a good few already mentioned - Dragon's Fury, Pinball Fantasies, Sonic Spinball - but none of my most played have been mentioned so far.

Obsession, on the STe, was by far my favourite of the 16-bit era pinball games, though I think I may be alone in really rating it. Probably the last game I got for the ST, and I thought it was a great swansong.

Tilt! was just one of those games that won me over with its glitz. It may not look all that much now, but it was by far the best looking pinball game I'd played back in 1995 when we got it for our Pentium 90. The US called this 'Hyper 3-D Pinball', and so that appears to be its common name now, despite being British-made; good ol' Americentric internet!

And, finally, I can't really go without mentioning the classic of a hundred lunch breaks, Full Tilt Pinball - or, to be more precise, Space Cadet, the table from it that was bundled with Windows 2000 through XP. Assuredly the table I've spent the most time on in any game. I'm still rubbish at it.

I think what we're all learning today is that I have terrible taste in pinball games.

• Upvote 3
36 minutes ago, Wiper said:

And, finally, I can't really go without mentioning the classic of a hundred lunch breaks, Full Tilt Pinball - or, to be more precise, Space Cadet, the table from it that was bundled with Windows 2000 through XP. Assuredly the table I've spent the most time on in any game. I'm still rubbish at it.

I think what we're all learning today is that I have terrible taste in pinball games.

My first ever experience with video game pinball other than Sonic Spinball was Space Cadet, i must have played that game for hours! I now need to go and have a look and see if i can find a way of playing it today....

I'm pretty sure i was horrific at it back in the day, wonder if that'll be different now.

4 hours ago, Wizcat said:

- Pinball FX.  Loved this to bits.  Really well designed tables.  Some of the early tables were pretty obviously 'inspired' by real-life tables with near identical layouts, but later tables really brought some cool new features that in many cases I've considered converting to real life mechanisms.  The leaderboards and ability to compete online really helped this game to shine, though it does become an endurance marathon to really get to the top of the online tables in many cases, with some games going on for literally hours at a time.  In the last year they've acquired the Bally/Williams licence, so have started to emulate many of the classic real tables.

Pinball FX3 is one of my most played games on my Nintendo Switch. Some of the tables are incredible, would say my personal favourites are Walking Dead, Family Guy and Bob's Burgers. It's a real shame they haven't been able to bring the South Park ones over as I would have to loved to have given them a go!

This thread made me do this...

• Upvote 1

I love silly pinball games. Not super keen on the serious ones, I just find them a bit boring. 

All time favourite is probably Devil's Crush. It looks and sounds amazing and I'm still learning new stuff about it now.

Pokémon Pinball 1&2 have also seen a lot of time, plus the other day I had a long old go on Super Robot Pinball on GBC - also made by Jupiter. 

My Wii is basically full of them, Revenge of the Gator, Time Cruise, even Power Rangers Pinball on PSX! 

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

plus the other day I had a long old go on Super Robot Pinball on GBC - also made by Jupiter. 

Whaaaaaaaat. I thought I had every Pinball game on the GBC, was this released over here? 

Nope, Japan only. But the basics are fairly self-explanatory, very similar to Pokémon Pinball GBC in terms of mechanics (meet certain field conditions for a faceoff with a random monster, proceed to catch 'em all).

• Upvote 2

I much prefer 2D unrealistic pinball titles, rather than the 3D simulations of a real pinball table.

Some of my favourites:

1. Kirby's Pinball Land on the Game Boy 

2. Jaki Crush on the Super Famicom

3. Necronomicon on the Sega Saturn

4. Devil's Crush on the PCE/MD

5. Sonic Pinball Party on the GBA - the NiGHTS into Dreams table in particular

Others I've played:

Revenge of the Gator, GB

Dragon's Fury, MD

Pinball of the Dead, GBA

Last Gladiators, Saturn

Alien Crush, PCE

Akira Psycho Ball, PS2

Battle Pinball, SFC

Flipnic, PS2

Metroid Prime Pinball, DS

Pokemon Pinball, GBC

Super Mario Ball, GBA

Neo Golden Logres, Dreamcast

I also own Odama, but have never got around to playing it!

• Upvote 1
On 27/05/2020 at 22:41, acidbearboy said:

I also own Odama, but have never got around to playing it!

The idea behind it is pure genius. But the microphone just makes it too complicated, I ended up just shouting 'PRESS FORWARD!' over and over again. Wish there was a way to play it mic-free. 

Oh forgot about a recent one I quite liked, Rollers of the Realm on Vita. But overall silly pinball games seem to be a thing of the past which is a shame. 

Hoping that new Crush ripoff on PC comes to PS4.

I spent some time playing Alien Crush last night. It’s pretty good considering its age. Nice graphics and good music. Solid mechanics and ball movement. The flip screen effect isn’t really an issue unless the ball is quickly bouncing between the top and bottom screens, which isn’t often. Overall though, I’d say it was just a little on the dull side, with only two screens on the main table which don’t really change that much, and I only remember two different bonus rooms - one with a snake like enemy and another with lots of floating enemies to hit - both of which required the same slow and careful manipulation of the ball to succeed. 

On 29/05/2020 at 20:21, merman said:

My review of Super Mario Ball/Mario Pinball Land for The Well-Red Mage's Super Mario Multiverse:

https://thewellredmage.com/2020/03/10/super-mario-multiverse-mario-pinball-land-super-mario-ball/

I don’t remember having any fun at all playing Super Mario Ball - it was super frustrating and difficult. Much prefer a good pinball table that lets you focus on point scoring as opposed to unlocking areas/levels. 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I spent some time playing Alien Crush last night. It’s pretty good considering its age. Nice graphics and good music. Solid mechanics and ball movement. The flip screen effect isn’t really an issue unless the ball is quickly bouncing between the top and bottom screens, which isn’t often. Overall though, I’d say it was just a little on the dull side, with only two screens on the main table which don’t really change that much, and I only remember two different bonus rooms - one with a snake like enemy and another with lots of floating enemies to hit - both of which required the same slow and careful manipulation of the ball to succeed. 

Yeah I much prefer Devil's. Alien is ok but like you say feels a little bare bones. I recently played the Wii reboot (?) for the first time, they missed a trick by not updating Devil's Crush instead, the imagery and music is much better.

Picked up Star Wars Pinball for Nintendo Switch yesterday and have been playing non stop since. Well worth giving it a go if you haven't played it yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 22:11, mash said:

Been playing the CPC version of Pinball Dreams. It really is a marvel of coding. 

Saw that in RG mag - VERY impressive port!

PB Dreams, Fantasies, Illusions blwe me away on the Amiga back in the early 90s.

But I also had a love for the real thing - As that was just when the classic early WMS DMD tabes were coming out too: T2, TAF, HSII, etc.

Great times - I was more ito the pinballs that the fighting games - so everyone queuing for SFII suited me.....I just earned replays ;)