IGNORED

Minecraft Dungeons - Diablo Lite for Switch, Xbox, PC, PS4

moosegrinder

Surprised there isn't a thread for this already, but there's a few people chuntering on in the Game Pass thread.

Basically Diablo Lite but with enough depth to make it entertaining. It's also bastard hard on your own at times.

£16.74 for the base game or it's on Game Pass for PC and Xbox.

Also there's no drop in random co-op so I guess we use this thread to meet up for that too.

Had a go on it last night. As someone who's played a generally unhealthy amount of Diablo 3 and Path of Exile, I'm very impressed by it.

It certainly has one of, if not the best implementations of gamepad controls* in a diablo clone, likely from being designed for it from the start and the combat being a bit more simpler. 

I quite like that there's no actual stats for your character, as well - getting points from leveling up that you dump into weapons instead, and get them back after you dismantle the weapon. As a result, if you luck out from beating a boss on a harder difficulty and get a unique, you can dump points into it and give it EVEN MORE bonuses.

I currently have a glaive that hits like a truck and drops poison clouds on hit - after using my saved points, it now also hits twice every four seconds and has a 20% chance to chain groups of mobs together. It's a great system.

Spoiler

*This is on the proviso that the only ARPG console conversions I've played are Path of Exile and both Torchlights.

Yes, I know Diablo 3 on consoles is a thing, but that game has far bigger problems than how good it feels on a pad. Sorry.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Would younger players get on with it do you think, like 6 year olds?

I played last night with a seven year old, and another very inexperienced gamer. If you’re in a bigger group, you’ll maybe have problems with the bosses - there’s a need to keep reviving your dead. But they seemed to be getting on with it up till that point.

It’s Minecraft Diablo - run around, hit A, occasionally hit other buttons.

Yeah, I've got anecdotal evidence of younger players loving it. It also seems designed for younger players in its control and loot designs but the difficulty lends itself to multiplayer. If kids are solo they might struggle. I also may be underestimating kids skills in games.

Wow, I was just thinking about this game as I noticed it had been released on Switch and am a bit surprised to find that the thread has just been started. So everyone is playing the Xbox version then, I take it? I'm rather drawn towards the Switch version as I find it my preferred system atm, I'm just interested to know if it's vastly inferior to the versions running on beefier systems. 

6 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Wow, I was just thinking about this game as I noticed it had been released on Switch and am a bit surprised to find that the thread has just been started. So everyone is playing the Xbox version then, I take it? I'm rather drawn towards the Switch version as I find it my preferred system atm, I'm just interested to know if it's vastly inferior to the versions running on beefier systems. 

The Xbox and PC versions are “free” with games pass and support cross play. Anyone who has a copy almost certainly also has online access. That’s a pretty good reason to choose them. Other than that, it’s not doing anything that seems particularly complicated.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah, I've got anecdotal evidence of younger players loving it. It also seems designed for younger players in its control and loot designs but the difficulty lends itself to multiplayer. If kids are solo they might struggle. I also may be underestimating kids skills in games.

You'd be surprised! My son completed super Mario odyssey when he was 4! 

24 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Yes I might wait for Digital Foundry to do their thing, although I don’t mind a slight degradation to visuals it’s performance that bothers me a bit - not that I’ve heard reports it’s bad or anything.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yes I might wait for Digital Foundry to do their thing, although I don’t mind a slight degradation to visuals it’s performance that bothers me a bit - not that I’ve heard reports it’s bad or anything.

I just watched a review on Youtube and the Switch version seems to be locked at 30 fps (don't know about the other console versions) and it's smooth in singleplayer and online multiplayer but dips are noticeable in couch coop when the screen is busy. 

Just crossposting my chunterings from the GP thread...

Loving Minecraft Dungeons, cute and fun, simple story, easy to jump into, nice variety of random weapon buffs and weapon choice, and just very moreish.

Played through 7 of the areas, assume there’s a few more still to go, can see at least three or four on the map. Got an excellent diamond pickaxe that leaches health from every mob I kill, which has been a literal lifesaver. 

Playing with the nephew tomorrow, imagine it’s even better in multiplayer. Thank you Game Pass.

It seems that most reviews deduct points because the game is too short and offers little replay value. I would generally agree with a game being too short if it was a full price release, but this is sub 20 quid so I struggle to buy that arguement tbh (unless it's only a 2 hour campaign or something). 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Would younger players get on with it do you think, like 6 year olds?

My 7 & 9 boys breezed through the first level and got their asses handed to them at the end of the 2nd.  Ready to give up! But i got them to play through the first level and actually explore the map and find the chests, once they got wolf armour and we worked out how to enchant their weapons and spend the emeralds with the blacksmith they feel more competent.  The first 3 maps are all rated the same difficulty and my boys are already asking to replay the same levels again. 

I caved and got the Switch version. To everyone allergic to sub 30 fps games I should issue a warning for this version, it dips quite often, even in offline singleplayer :( 

With that said, it's quite fun and I can imagine this will quickly be a preferred couch coop romp with a night in with friends and beer. 

10 minutes ago, jonamok said:

There are two pieces of DLC already leaked. Images and logos etc. up on Era. One is a jungle based, one is icy. No mention of dates.

On the Nintendo eShop it says there are two DLCs coming. One for July 1st and the other for September 1st so it doesn't seem like a secret or anything. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

You'd be surprised! My son completed super Mario odyssey when he was 4! 

Just wait until they get older. My 14 and 16 year olds constantly mock my gaming skills. It's really annoying. 

51 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I caved and got the Switch version. To everyone allergic to sub 30 fps games I should issue a warning for this version, it dips quite often, even in offline singleplayer :( 

With that said, it's quite fun and I can imagine this will quickly be a preferred couch coop romp with a night in with friends and beer. 

Thanks. Almost picked this up on Switch for my wife and I but I think I'll get the Xbox version now.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone had picked it up! I’m not massively into Minecraft but I like dungeon crawlers (Diablo, Torchlight) and my nephew sometimes talks me into playing MC with him. I probably won’t check it out immediately (not with this pile of shame) but I’m following it with interest...

There's alot to like in this, my other half and I have almost finished the default difficulty setting, which is just rightimo, we've had a couple of game overs but it's usually been down to us getting swamped. We did have to restart one level after we got stuck on scenery and couldn't do anything about and occassionally the frame rate has been a bit off (something I rarely notice on games).

I do wish it had more Minecraft to it beyond its visuals though, building up your village using resources you'd gathered in the dungeons would have been cool 

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm surprised a Minecraft themed game doesn't even have a crafting system, tbh.

Yeah, this is only a Minecraft game in the visuals department. Even the mobs acts differently. Zombies and skeletons out and about in bright sunlight? Creepers not really creeping around, they rather charge you when they spot you from a mile off (granted, the original creepers do charge at you too but the behaviour is still different in Dungeons). I also agree with @wev, getting to build your own basecamp would've been a fitting addition to the game. 

Overall a fine game at its price tag but in its current state I don't think it'll gain a massive following, it's just not Minecrafty enough for that I think.