IGNORED

Minecraft Dungeons - Diablo Lite for Switch, Xbox, PC, PS4

moosegrinder

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm surprised a Minecraft themed game doesn't even have a crafting system, tbh.

There's basic crafting:

Emeralds -> Weapons and Armour and Artefacts

Emeralds + Enhancements -> Upgraded Weapons and Armour

:D

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

This is good light fun but there’s absolutely no reason for the janky performance on the switch. Hope they patch that quick as it can be really bad in two player 

I’m quite sure they’ll patch it, I’ve noticed that the game is nice and smooth every time you start a level and the performance gets progressively worse the longer

you get in the level so it seems to be some

sort of cache/memory issue.

3 hours ago, fattakin said:

Ooops kids had a meltdown as got their ass handed to them on the 2nd map after a long and fun playthrough.  I had to give the talk every parent dreads.  How to grind in a game!

I just noticed it was on Default II for some reason?  Popped it down to default I for their next game - shame as they were having a lot of fun.  Emergency ice lolly deployed to rally the troops. 

Yeah, the boss difficulty spikes are pretty brutal. Me and the youngest breezed through the level but then got tonked to fuck by the purple fire dude. Good clean fun though and finally a good bit of couch coop for me and the kids that isn't Mario Kart. Even my wife might be able to cope with it. 

How many ‘Secret Levels’ have people here found?

So far I’ve only found two:

Spoiler

Creepy Crypt and Soggy Cave (off the first two levels basically).

I believe there are a fair few more on the map. Where else have you been, and how did you unlock them, and are they in Default difficulty, Adventure or higher still?

Please spoiler your answers.

Have just got up to the final level on Default difficulty and left it for the night.

Will play tomorrow and see about starting the second run. But got some really sweet gear in the last few levels. Cool spider armour, and a wicked serpentine sword.

But my new prized possession is a Harp Bow. It fires a spread of 3-5 arrows for every shot. All do big damage, and 2-3 of them pass through the first mob they hit, almost certainly killing them, before dropping the guy behind.

Up close it pretty much chews through any sized swarm in seconds. Combined with the firework charm it’s hysterical. But it’s best feature by far is that every bow release is accompanied by the sound of someone strumming a different chord on a harp, with that lovely soothing music brilliantly juxtaposing the wanton onscreen slaughter. Love it.

Thanks to this thread I found out it was free on Gamepass, and so decided to give it a whirl.

It's basically superb at what it does! Diablo-lite is the perfect descriptor, and it is clearly pitched as an introduction to this kind of dungeon crawler for younger and more casual gamers. Yes, the bosses are tough, but that's okay. There's a reason that the levels show you what loot and artefacts you can find in them, it's to encourage replaying to complete the collection. What players like ourselves call "grind", such an unappealing name, is better pitched in this way for those new to the idea.

I played a level with my son, and we only just made it through! I like that, it's much more pleasing to just make it. Even though neither of us were very far in at all, we already had different armours, weapons, and artefacts equipped. Since then, I've played a bit more, and found even better weapons and armour. The loop has started, and the hooks are very close to piercing.

Now, I also know there's a secret area to find that I missed. Which means more replaying, which in turn will mean better artefacts, etc. So, I can see myself spending quite some time on it, yet, which already makes it worth this month's GP sub. And I've been into basically every menu, and can't wait to see how tough it gets. 

Very nice, far better than I expected it to be from the trailer. And, as someone alluded to above, there is potential for something truly amazing in this idea.

I'm playing through it with my daughter and while it's good basic fun, it really looks like shit. I get that it's meant to be like Minecraft but to my eyes it looks absolutely horrible. I wish there was a little more polish on the graphics and that the player characters stood out a little more in a packed screen.

I don't mind the looks at all. In some places it can be hauntingly beautiful to look at, there's some pretty decent volumetric fog and lighting effects in some parts of the game. 

And yes, the soundtrack is terrific, it's that familiar Minecraft sound but with a more adventurous beat to it. 

Been really enjoying this and smashed the first playthrough solo.

Now my partner is interested so gonna have a playthrough with her as well. It's a solid little game to just zone out and have some fun.

19 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Nah, Xbox One X. I can't say I have really noticed the soundtrack at all. Maybe that's an insult in itself!

It's not omnipresent, it's used quite sparingly. Just like in Minecraft, now I think about it.

Some further thoughts, mostly about things that don't sit well with me:

Hiding levels behind randomly generated secrets is seriously annoying. I loaded a level 5 times, each time it told me there were no secrets to be found. It wasn't until the 6th time that I saw there was even a secret to find. Make it difficult, even obtuse. But don't make it impossible! Theoretically, I may have been unable to find the level at all.

Sometimes, I see a chest that I have no way to get to. Literally, it's across a gap, and I'll fall off the level if I try! I thought the Fishing Rod would work, but unless I'm missing something they just sit there, meaning there's no way to 100% a level with them in.

The Cursed Cauldron boss is quite ridiculously tough for where it is found in the game. In fact, it is harder than the level that unlocks right after it. Until then, pure melee will work, but this requires a different strategy. I can imagine a lot of kids getting too frustrated by it. (Not to mention, plenty of adults!)

They're all quite minor, though, because the core game is great fun. Replaying for loot with better abilities is precisely what I was looking for, and it delivers plenty of that.

15 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Sometimes, I see a chest that I have no way to get to. Literally, it's across a gap, and I'll fall off the level if I try! I thought the Fishing Rod would work, but unless I'm missing something they just sit there, meaning there's no way to 100% a level with them in.

You need to use your roll over the gap :)

15 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

The Cursed Cauldron boss is quite ridiculously tough for where it is found in the game. In fact, it is harder than the level that unlocks right after it. Until then, pure melee will work, but this requires a different strategy. I can imagine a lot of kids getting too frustrated by it. (Not to mention, plenty of adults!)

Super secret tip which will make it easy, spoilered just in case.

Spoiler

You can hide behind the house to the north east and it's a total safe spot where nothing can hit you. So you can keep running back to heal up :P

37 minutes ago, Loki said:

You need to use your roll over the gap

I guess I did it wrong the first time I tried it. Will file that tip for the next one, thanks! Also, I've basically been running around the whole area for the Cauldron, using a hit and run approach. I've gotten an Evoker Robe that has 2 slots with cooldown bonus that I'm planning to use on that boss alone in higher difficulties, with heal and shield artefacts in place. Let's face it, the pet is kinda pointless in that fight!

Holy shit is that final boss a ridiculous difficulty spike.

Jump onto platform and it 1-hit kills me instantly. I got off one rocket before death. Same again. Same again. On last life with his health down by only a third. I’m power level 22 which it says is fine for the mission on normal mode, and I can’t reduce the difficulty, and I don’t want to go through that entire level again for the same insta-death outcome. About to bin it, but checked YT.

Thankfully there’s a cheese to kill it without dying:

Spoiler

Jump onto platform. Fire rocket at Enderman. Jump off platform. Respawn in safety. Heal. Repeat.

So I won. Yay. Stupid design though. And I’m guessing they nerf the cheese before long. Anyway onward to Adventure mode, or so I thought.

Except every single mission is now at least 10 power levels above me. Starting at L33. Er... grinding time then I guess.

What power level were others at when they beat the normal mode?

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

Holy shit is that final boss a ridiculous difficulty spike.

Jump onto platform and it 1-hit kills me instantly. I got off one rocket before death. Same again. Same again. On last life with his health down by only a third. I’m power level 22 which it says is fine for the mission on normal mode, and I can’t reduce the difficulty, and I don’t want to go through that entire level again for the same insta-death outcome. About to bin it, but checked YT.

Thankfully there’s a cheese to kill it without dying:

Hide contents

Jump onto platform. Fire rocket at Enderman. Jump off platform. Respawn in safety. Heal. Repeat.

So I won. Yay. Stupid design though. And I’m guessing they nerf the cheese before long. Anyway onward to Adventure mode, or so I thought.

Except every single mission is now at least 10 power levels above me. Starting at L33. Er... grinding time then I guess.

What power level were others at when they beat the normal mode?

cant remember but I just spammed arrows, after dying on my first attempt.

Synergies between your various bits of equipment certainly start to matter more in adventure mode: i.e. you start to have to consider your build. It feels a little odd how the harder enemies (elites?) can differ each time you run a level though.

On 27/05/2020 at 14:31, scottcr said:

This is good light fun but there’s absolutely no reason for the janky performance on the switch. Hope they patch that quick as it can be really bad in two player 

Me and my kids Been playing it on OneS and it pretty stuttery in the cut scene bits as it loads a level. 

This might be an incredibly stupid question, but does everyone have this guy constantly telling you how much health you have and press A to pick stuff up or has my kid turned on some audio assist feature?

Honestly, yesterday we paused Goose game to eat dinner, and when I came back to the sofa, he'd changed the whole thing into Japanese. 

1 minute ago, sir stiff_one said:

This might be an incredibly stupid question, but does everyone have this guy constantly telling you how much health you have and press A to pick stuff up or has my kid turned on some audio assist feature?

Honestly, yesterday we paused Goose game to eat dinner, and when I came back to the sofa, he'd changed the whole thing into Japanese. 

I found that in Minecraft had it on as default when I booted it yesterday, it's under accessibility options.

Cleared Adventure mode - all the arrows again on the final boss. Get enough strikes and he doesn’t have time to attack much.

God knows how you’d do it outside of single player though: someone’s going to die, and then it’s night.

Got my first real pieces of gear that bounce off each other and it's fucking hilarious to me. Bone Bow, where the arrows grow larger as the move away from you, but that also had Multishot (40% chance to fire 5 arrows) and Bonus Shot (firing a shot also fires a secondary, lower damaging shot).

BUT THEN! I've got Torment Quiver which gives slow arrows but knocks back mobs and passes through walls. So I've often got 5 massive arrows which pass through walls and knocks everything that doesn't die on contact back. It's brilliant.

My 7 year old son was staying with me this weekend and he absolutely LOVED Minecraft Dungeons (it also seemed to be advertised on practically every YouTube video he watched, so MS is clearly pushing it hard). I enjoyed the game a surprising amount too - I've never played something like it before really, so maybe it will be a gateway drug to the likes of Diablo 3! Meanwhile my son was drawn in by the Minecraft association, but it quickly became clear that he was absolutely obsessed with weapon upgrades! One suggested improvement - please find a way to do split-screen on the upgrades screen, Mojang. The number of times he was fiddling around with his weapons while I was twiddling my thumbs...