Jump to content
IGNORED

Minecraft Dungeons - Diablo Lite for Switch, Xbox, PC, PS4


moosegrinder
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

My 7 year old son was staying with me this weekend and he absolutely LOVED Minecraft Dungeons (it also seemed to be advertised on practically every YouTube video he watched, so MS is clearly pushing it hard). I enjoyed the game a surprising amount too - I've never played something like it before really, so maybe it will be a gateway drug to the likes of Diablo 3! Meanwhile my son was drawn in by the Minecraft association, but it quickly became clear that he was absolutely obsessed with weapon upgrades! One suggested improvement - please find a way to do split-screen on the upgrades screen, Mojang. The number of times he was fiddling around with his weapons while I was twiddling my thumbs...

I haven't played it yet but apparently Riverbond is worth playing with kids too. I've got both queued up but haven't had time yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To anyone completing this with their kids and are left wanting more, Torchlight 2 might be the next game you should give a go. It’s a lot bigger and more varied than Minecraft Dungeons and sits comfortably smack in the middle of Dungeons and Diablo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

To anyone completing this with their kids and are left wanting more, Torchlight 2 might be the next game you should give a go. It’s a lot bigger and more varied than Minecraft Dungeons and sits comfortably smack in the middle of Dungeons and Diablo.

Torchlight 2 doesn't appear to be couch co-op? Diablo 3 I believe is, might graduate to that when we finish this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might be a silly question but how does the save system work in this?

 

Twice now my boy and I have been playing one of the (surprisingly long) levels and because of other things we needed to do we had to quit before we reached the end. We couldn't find any way to actually save the game. All you can do is go back to camp which retains your upgrades but loses your progress through the level. We tried putting the Xbox into rest mode but then when it restarted it only brought one of us back into the game and we couldn't add the other player without quitting all the way out to the main menu.

 

Is there a way to save mid-level? We're both getting fed up of playing the first two-thirds of Soggy Swamp over and over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

This might be a silly question but how does the save system work in this?

 

Twice now my boy and I have been playing one of the (surprisingly long) levels and because of other things we needed to do we had to quit before we reached the end. We couldn't find any way to actually save the game. All you can do is go back to camp which retains your upgrades but loses your progress through the level. We tried putting the Xbox into rest mode but then when it restarted it only brought one of us back into the game and we couldn't add the other player without quitting all the way out to the main menu.

 

Is there a way to save mid-level? We're both getting fed up of playing the first two-thirds of Soggy Swamp over and over.

 

No, most games like this (with procedurally generated mobs and map)  require you to finish the level. If you quit out you have to start it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried playing this with my wife last night. Apparently there's a known bug where the game crashes when booting during co-op, so each time we tried to start together the Xbox let out an almighty buzz and crashed back to the dashboard. Bit of an oversight for a game people are likely to play with others in their living room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Tried playing this with my wife last night. Apparently there's a known bug where the game crashes when booting during co-op, so each time we tried to start together the Xbox let out an almighty buzz and crashed back to the dashboard. Bit of an oversight for a game people are likely to play with others in their living room.

I’ve had this a few times. That buzz sound is very disconcerting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only been playing a level per sessions so it's taken me a long time to almost get through what seems to be a fairly short game. I don't think it suited for long sessions. One level left to beat and then new game plus or whatever. 

 

My biggest criticism of the game so far is that there hasn't really been much room to experiment with builds until just now. I've always had one melee weapon or set of armour that has clearly been the best. The way enchantment points work means that until you have an excess of points its hard to experiment as you don't want to have those points sitting idle on an unused weapon. I've hit level 20 so I'm at the point where I can start to build up a small bank of enchantment points to have more leeway to experiment. Being within touching distance of the finale before the "real game" begins seems a wrong choice. Maybe instead of needing to scrap a weapon to recover those points there should be a monetary (in-game, not real world) charge to remove them 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The builds don't really have a big effect until you hit about level 40 I reckon. 
 

I like basically having enough enchantment points to kit out YOUR gear. It means you just quickly discard and move on, which is great for me as I'd have 200 bows in my inventory otherwise. You out level stuff quickly. Some of the combinations are great fun. 

I had one bow that contained some kind of multishot, and was able to enchant it with ricochet and a multishot proc. Then you use an artifact which sends flaming arrows and you unleash hell. 

Right now we have a crossbow which shoots exploding arrows by default, it's awesome. And just got a huge frost scythe which I've enchanted with fire obviously. It reminded me of skyrim days when I had one dagger that froze people and one that set the on fire and just alternated plunging each one into confused terrified enemies.

Really enjoying it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My current “just about at the end of apocalypse - level 70, power level 80” build is a pickaxe with double leeching and a critical damage buff; armour with additional protection, chilling and gravity to pull mobs towards me; explosive crossbow with time steal (pointless on an exploding crossbow) and gravity.

The killer part of my build is the iron golem minion though.

 

Its definitely more distinct than earlier, but giving up the crutch of dual leeching (16-20% health recovery when killing a mob) is hard - I don’t quite have enough enhancement points to just build up another weapon without destroying the first.

 

(venom glaive with dual leeching, the inherent poison cloud, and gravity also carried me through ten levels, but ended up being a bit slow).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, the levels are painfully long. I especially like the long side routes that lead to a small pot of gems or nothing! Have also been navigating the levels with the wire frame map overlaid, old school Doom style.

 

I see there is already a marker on the level select for an expansion or DLC of some kind, wonder if these will be free or paid?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Yep, the levels are painfully long. I especially like the long side routes that lead to a small pot of gems or nothing! Have also been navigating the levels with the wire frame map overlaid, old school Doom style.

 

I see there is already a marker on the level select for an expansion or DLC of some kind, wonder if these will be free or paid?

Given it's prominence on Gamepass, I'd think free DLC is unlikely. Still need to get my kids on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm. I’ve just hit level 60ish and got a great hammer with shockwave, spiral and radiance. My armour lays fire on the floor and lightning rains down whenever I roll, my crossbow with torment quiver is ridic and I have 2 love amulets which seem way OP. If I play on the middle difficulty which is recommended (have just completed it), I tear through the mobs just running non stop through the level. It’s crazy fun, I feel like Thor on the rainbow bridge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Playing with my 7 year old daughter and we’re both loving it. We’ve gotten to the last level but not made it though yet. Had to explain what grinding was too!

 

I find the scenery gets a bit muddy sometimes but apart from that I think it looks and sounds great. Importantly I imagine every kid playing it will think it looks REALLY great because it looks like Minecraft. It’s such a treat training tool for kids. Whatever it does it makes most things really intuitive on the most part. 
 

I’ve gotten stuck in scenery a few times but thats been the only gameplay annoyance. Great fun. 
 

Edit: Christ just seen how powerful some of you are. We’re only level 23. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has become my game of choice if I just want to turn my brain off for an hour or so, I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. I bought the season pass though so they must be doing something right. So far the expansion has been two very long levels, maybe the longest in the entire game, which is a bit annoying to me as I already felt it'd be a better game if they split some of the longer levels in two. 

 

I'm curious to see how they flesh things out going forward. The fundamentals are all solid so there's potential for it to become a really good game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I’m level 100 and have a massive double handed axe with leeching on. Add to that potion barrier on the armour, a ridiculous crossbow that pumps out zillions of arrows, the love medallion and the death cap mushroom, and I’m basically invincible. Which is fun, but not really sustainably so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.