Sega Announce Game Gear Micro & Fog Gaming!?!?!?!

Noted Famitsu columnist, Zenji Nishikawa, has revealed via a live stream on his personal YouTube channel, that next weeks issue of Famitsu will cover a, "major scoop" related to Sega, one which will, "take the games industry by storm".

In truth, it's hard to imagine anything Sega could announce by themselves which would constitute anything major, so there's rampant speculation that either Sony or Microsoft are about to announce a buy out. I'm not sure how plausible this is. Sony generally like to cultivate new studios internally and MS... well I'd say MS would be the more logical choice, but depriving PS5 users of future Yakuza and Persona titles would be controversial to say the least. A Sega branded Series X for the Japanese market could be interesting though!

A Dreamcast 2 has been ruled out (of course) and I can't see the announcement of another mini console moving the needle that far. Could it be some sort of game streaming service, an unexpected buy from another media firm? Who knows! The only other information we have, is that Nishikawa has said that the announcement will be on par with Wired's PS5 reveal article and Sega will be appearing at the Guerrilla Collective digital games festival between June 6th - 8th, so whatever the announcement is, we may hear more about it then.

It's worth bearing in mind that the last big Sega announcement turned out to be a big bag of nothing, so maybe this is yet more hot air which won't amount to anything, but speculate away, Nishikawa is a big enough name in games journalism, that he'd be blowing a lot of his credibility if this isn't something significant.

With the PS5 reveal event scheduled for June 4th, next week should be quite a big one for gaming news!

• Upvote 2

Didn't this happen a few months ago too, and it ended up being fuck all?

It'll probably be something like Microsoft buying them out...which would be mostly awful news.

I'm no market expert, but I'm sure there are legal procedures that publically listed companies have to go through in the event of a acquisition. I doubt something on the level of this would be announced in a printed magazine. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The rumour earlier in the week was something along the lines of Microsoft doing a deal to use Sega branding for their consoles in Japan.

That sounds like a very smart idea and probably the only way Microsoft could get a foothold in the Japanese console market. If successful this would be a major win for Xbox owners in the west also because it would mean more Japanese games coming to Xbox and therefore Game Pass.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Didn't this happen a few months ago too, and it ended up being fuck all?

It'll probably be something like Microsoft buying them out...which would be mostly awful news.

Maybe it's a celebration of 20 years of Microsoft buying Sega rumours.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

Megatron! how do stories like this still catch on in this day and age?

Because reality is a nightmarish hellscape and speculating wildly about Microsoft buying Sega and getting Rare to make Ristar 2 is more fun? 

2 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

A Dreamcast 2 has been ruled out (of course) 

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

sheds tear

But what if they 'do a Microsoft' and announce a Dreamcast 1080 :omg::omg::omg:

Or - Alex Kidd in Streets of Rage World.

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I've heard in Japan the xbox x series will be called the sega x series. 

sega x ages has a nice symmetry to it

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Outrun 2 coming to Xbox BC in Enhanced form OMFG :omg:

Fuck Xbox BC, give us a new remastered version with all the tracks and content on all platforms. 
I’d buy that for a dollar. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

I've heard in Japan the xbox x series will be called the sega x series. 

This does seem to be a popular rumour elsewhere too. Would make sense to be honest seeing as there isn’t much following of the Xbox brand there.

Probably being the Japanese are crazy intelligent so a rebadged MS console may not fool them if it does turn out to be true.