Sega Announce Game Gear Micro & Fog Gaming!?!?!?!

I think the Sega Xbox thing is probably false but it's appealing because at least on the surface it's a "Well why the fuck didn't they do that 3 consoles ago?".

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The rumour earlier in the week was something along the lines of Microsoft doing a deal to use Sega branding for their consoles in Japan.

yeah, sorry about that

• Upvote 3

I think it'd be a good move but I've been saying they should have done it for the last 10+ years.

They should release Propeller Arena properly too.

This is such an obvious move I can’t believe no one thought of it before.

When I lived in Japan there were whole sections of department stores dedicated to Xbox, entirely empty. Giant billboards, constant advertising, schmups and rpgs by the Final Fantast bloke, nothing has ever worked. Came back to the office once with a new Xbox in a big bag. “What’s that? Asked a co-worker, “It’s an Xbox!” I said. I still remember the smile they gave me, loaded with pity.

Like selling English wine to the French, but stick a Sega badge on it and all of a sudden it’s a not a national disgrace to buy one. Be interesting to see if it’s not too late.

Ok, who wants the Sega one? Me please.

If it doesn't have SEGA exclusivity, I wonder what the point is. Nobody is going to buy an Xbox just because it's got the SEGA logo on it, surely? 

10 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

If it doesn't have SEGA exclusivity, I wonder what the point is. Nobody is going to buy an Xbox just because it's got the SEGA logo on it, surely? 

Why not? People bought the Dreamcast because it had the Windows logo on it didn't they?

• Upvote 4
11 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

People aren't buying consoles in Japan period, unless it's the Switch.

• Upvote 2

I don't really see how either Sega or Microsoft will benefit from this. Everyone knows it's a Microsoft console underneath and it's not like Sega have the manpower or money to suddenly pump out a load of in-house titles. I mean if they turned round and said Yakuza and Persona are now only on the new 'Sega' console it would do those franchises more harm than good. I'd say if it is true, it's more likely to be a streaming BC service, playing the back catalog of in house Dreamcast, Saturn and Mega Drive stuff on it.

16 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I'd say if it is true, it's more likely to be a streaming BC service, playing the back catalog of in house Dreamcast, Saturn and Mega Drive stuff on it.

Ok, all joking aside - if the above is true except for the streaming part, I'm all for it. I would be very excited to have a big portion of the Saturn and Dreamcast libraries available on Xbox. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe a Sega branded limited edition Xbox Series X with lots of Sega content pre-installed? Something like that maybe feasible....

Or even a Dreamcast mini with all the old Sega content pre installed. That would be cool. Just having DC games easily accessible and not on optical disks would be cool.

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

You could stick a Nintendo badge on the machine and it wouldn't move the needle much either. The problem isn't the badge or the amount of power the hardware has, that has never been the problem.

Why was the Saturn very successful in Japan (it outsold the Nintendo N64) but an utter failure elsewhere?

If people can answer that one, then they'll figure out the real source of the problem.

14 minutes ago, mushashi said:

You could stick a Nintendo badge on the machine and it wouldn't move the needle much either. The problem isn't the badge or the amount of power the hardware has, that has never been the problem.

Why was the Saturn very successful in Japan (it outsold the Nintendo N64) but an utter failure elsewhere?

If people can answer that one, then they'll figure out the real source of the problem.

Was it powered by pure condescension like this post?

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, mushashi said:

and maybe the real treasure were the friends we made along the way!