Lord of the Rings Trilogy Cast Reunion

No.

I mean, you can, and it'll be absolutely fine, but you don't need to.

All the set up for LOTR is done in LOTR. The Hobbit is just a nice prequel series that fleshes out some of the characters and back story.

I'd recommend watching LOTR first, as they're far superior, and then if you enjoy those you can go watch the Hobbit.

4 minutes ago, Pavey said:

I've never seen these, any of them. Keep planning to do it next week.

Do i need to watch them in book order, which i this is The Hobbit first, then the LOTR?

Personally, I'd watch them in film order - so LoTR first and then the Hobbit trilogy.  The latter is still pretty good but simply nowhere near LoTR - I think it'd detract from the magic if you don't see them first.

8 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

You mean other than or in addition to Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh being married to each other? 

The Phillipa bit.

11 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Do i need to watch them in book order, which i this is The Hobbit first, then the LOTR?

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

LotR first, then the Hobbit movies if you really want more Middle-Earth.

15 minutes ago, Pavey said:

9 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

No.

I mean, you can, and it'll be absolutely fine, but you don't need to.

All the set up for LOTR is done in LOTR. The Hobbit is just a nice prequel series that fleshes out some of the characters and back story.

I'd recommend watching LOTR first, as they're far superior, and then if you enjoy those you can go watch the Hobbit.

This is the correct answer.

15 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

You mean other than or in addition to Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh being married to each other? 

The eyebrow-raising bit was the non-married pair appearing from the same place, but as has been pointed out they're probably not having to isolate over there, having had the good sense to elect a competent, non-psychopathic government (little bit of politics).

On 03/06/2020 at 12:29, gizmo1990 said:

Yeah, I don't believe the films were divisive at all at the time. :huh: They were met with almost universal acclaim. The only dissenters were a tiny tiny group of beard stroking book readers who didn't want any changes. But that group was so small as to be negligible. You only hear about them now because the internet (like it has done with so many things...) has amplified their voices.

Anyway, what a wonderful time it was, having those films every Christmas was an absolute treat.:wub: The perfect trilogy imo.

Think the main thing was the encounter with shelob being moved to Return Of the king to give Sam and Frodo a bit more to do.

On 04/06/2020 at 14:34, Pavey said:

No, LoTR first and then never, ever watch The Hobbit films. Because they're shit.

23 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

They aren't. They aren't remotely shit. They're not as good as LotR, sure, but they're not shit. 

Shite, then. The awful cinematography of the first Hobbit - scenes that literally don't give a shot where characters are from shot to shot, rubber, impregnible characters who can fall 100 feet with no injuries? A mess. The next two just got longer and worse.

23 hours ago, Gordzilla said:

Watch the 4 hr fan-edit.  It’s a much better film / experience.

https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com

I quite fancied watching this, so I downloaded it today. Unfortunately because it’s such a low resolution, it’s barely watchable. Such a shame he didn’t do them at 1080. 

I think the films are as good an adaptation as we could have got. There are a few moments in all three films that make me cringe when it comes to the dialogue (Arwen's bit at the Ford being a notable example of this), but they are epic and great and no-one can say they weren't done without a whole lot of love of the subject matter. I can't say I feel the same about the Hobbit films - I don't mind them at all, but all the way through you get the feeling that Jackson felt he had an obligation to get them done, rather than a burning desire to bring them to life.

All this said, I don't love any of them. They're not amongst my most beloved films. 

Mainly because I saw Ralph Bakshi's animation when I was little and it left an absolutely indelible mark on me. Clearly, it's got major (MAJOR) issues all the way through it (I'm not entirely sure why no-one could decide on whether to run with Saruman or Aruman on various points, but there we go), but John Hurt will always be Aragorn for me (despite them forgetting his beard), and the black riders were a whole load more frightening in the animation than they ever were in the films. 

I've read the books more times than I can remember to be honest, but it's the animation that fuels the images in my mind far more than the films could ever do. 

Obviously that would never make any sense whatsoever were you to bung on Bakshi's film now, but it remains one of my fondest film memories. 

See, I rate the movies higher than the books. Both are better than the other at different points, but overall I feel the movies got Frodo and Sam's side of the story better than the books. In the books I was often disappointed when it switched to them.

On 06/06/2020 at 21:36, Gordzilla said:

Watch the 4 hr fan-edit.  It’s a much better film / experience.

https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com

Only if they edit out everything involving the dreadful interpretation of Thorin, the awful interpretation of Bard and family, Legolas and the daft love triangle and about 100 other awful things.

A series of films that doesn't love it's titular character.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

See, I rate the movies higher than the books. Both are better than the other at different points, but overall I feel the movies got Frodo and Sam's side of the story better than the books. In the books I was often disappointed when it switched to them.

Agreed. I see the films as a fan edit of the books in a lot of ways - it just happens that the bits they left out are bits I agreed with them leaving out, so it worked well for me.

The Hobbit are just a massive shame really. I'd have loved to have seen what Del Toro would have done with two movies shot on a reasonable timescale. The Hobbit always had a much more fairytale feel than LOTR and I think Del Toro would have smashed it.

However, The Hobbit did lead to one of the strangest pieces of behind the scenes marketing ever released, in which Peter Jackson basically just says "we didn't have enough time to do 2 movies so we pushed it back a year and had to make 3."

That video's now been taken down but here's an article written about it; https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/peter-jackson-i-didnt-know-842271

I saw all three LotR films at the cinema and whilst they definitely were epic, I've no intention of ever seeing them again (and, by extension, no interest in seeing The Hobbit series either). The casting, the locations and the sense of overall scale were superb, but I hated every scene with Sam & Frodo, found the whole geopolitical situation in Middle-Earth hard to follow (it seemed like every event was end-of-the-world stuff - until the next major thing happened to usurp it). Some of these issues, trying to think back all those years, was probably due to me being a bit bored at times.

I do remember how massive an event it all was at the time though and I'm certainly glad I was part of that time.

14 hours ago, JPL said:

I quite fancied watching this, so I downloaded it today. Unfortunately because it’s such a low resolution, it’s barely watchable. Such a shame he didn’t do them at 1080. 

You got the 6gb version?

@BitterToad I think this is another copy of that behind the scenes video. It's the one with the photo at 3:20 of him alone on set, and the thumbnail shot at 4:18 where he looks utterly overwhelmed:

I didn't hate the Hobbit films at the cinema, and I liked some bits of them (like the slightly trippy Mirkwood sequence) but I've never felt much desire to rewatch them.

The best thing that came out of the Hobbit films was Lindsay Ellis's three-part YouTube documentary about what went wrong with them - especially the third part about the New Zealand financial stuff that was the reason they got made at all. I think they're the only YouTube videos ever nominated for a Hugo Award.

23 minutes ago, Gordzilla said:

You got the 6gb version?

Yeah I did. It’s the resolution I posted above. I think, from reading up on it, it was pieced together from DVD rather than Blu-ray.

The other fan edit I linked to looks good though. I think it’s at 800p, but is way better than the other fan edit.

I’ll give it a watch sometime this week.