WRC 9 Game thread. || Codemasters secure WRC license from 2023

ryodi

Yeah, I’ve bought the GOTY edition. I have a wheel so I’ve been buying up the racing games. £13.50 so not much of a risk if I don’t get on with it. 

I already had it on PC as part of a humble bundle but it was hassle to set up there and I like the convenience on the series X for a quick bash. 

25 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Yeah, I’ve bought the GOTY edition. I have a wheel so I’ve been buying up the racing games. £13.50 so not much of a risk if I don’t get on with it. 

I already had it on PC as part of a humble bundle but it was hassle to set up there and I like the convenience on the series X for a quick bash. 

I have it on PC but greatly prefer WRC 9 (on pad). I rather save my money for WRC 10 or Dirt Rally 3.0 which can't be too far off. 

Another question, I’m using a wheel - should I have Traction control and ABS on or off?

I didn’t realise I had them on. Just turned them off but not really sure I could tell much difference at my speed. 

What do you do with those?

12 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Another question, I’m using a wheel - should I have Traction control and ABS on or off?

I didn’t realise I had them on. Just turned them off but not really sure I could tell much difference at my speed. 

What do you do with those?

I'd say TC should definitely be off, otherwise you might not be able to slide the car properly.  ABS is more debatable, maybe switch it off and see how you get on?  I think it's pretty hard to lock the brakes in this though.

2 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I'd say TC should definitely be off, otherwise you might not be able to slide the car properly.  ABS is more debatable, maybe switch it off and see how you get on?  I think it's pretty hard to lock the brakes in this though.

I don’t drive so my experience is limited to when I learnt 23 years ago, but I think maybe things seem to react a little more how I might expect with them both turned off. 

I think they were off by default in Dirt 2 which I’m sort of enjoying having found some okay FFB settings. I think I prefer WRC overall but Dirt has a weightier feel that’s satisfying when you get a decent run going. 

I’m very slow in both, I just enjoy the challenge of trying to get through the stages without crashing. 

23 minutes ago, Ry said:

Played a bit of this last night. Is it just me or is the handling really really bad? It's floaty as hell. 

Just you I think!  The handling is great; on PC with a wheel at least.  Most people playing it with a pad seem to like the handling too.

As someone who didn't get on with Dirt 2.0, I'm having fun with this one. Handling seems alright with Xbox pad, but the game is pretty unforgiving of mistakes. Picked it up for £7 off and had more than my moneys worth out it. The online co-driver is a laugh. 

For £3.19 it's a no-brainer! 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Played a bit of this last night. Is it just me or is the handling really really bad? It's floaty as hell. 

I think I’ve thought that at times but you get used to it. It sounds weird, but once it clicks it stops feeling floaty. 

It relates to the buy games at full price thread, I don’t see how this won’t affect sales or perceived value of WRC 10. It seems a bit short sighted, as I don’t think many who buy 9 at this price will suddenly think they must get 10 at full price. Not sure if it’s the publisher or MS that have driven this drop. It has certainly made me reconsider buying 10, especially as I’m still getting plenty play from 9.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

319 ganger here. Can you play through this without ever looking at car settings? I hate that shit. I like going around corners sideways, though. 

Yep just jump in a car and drive.

7 hours ago, scoobysi said:

It relates to the buy games at full price thread, I don’t see how this won’t affect sales or perceived value of WRC 10. It seems a bit short sighted, as I don’t think many who buy 9 at this price will suddenly think they must get 10 at full price. Not sure if it’s the publisher or MS that have driven this drop. It has certainly made me reconsider buying 10, especially as I’m still getting plenty play from 9.

Yeah, it's still £50 on psn if that's any indication.

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, it's still £50 on psn if that's any indication.

Looks as though the lowest it’s been on PSN is £17.49 (with Plus) I think I paid just over £20 when the PS5 launched. I do feel with these Sports/Yearly releases they should give you a discount if you own the previous version. EA do that a bit with FIFA but I don’t think it’s that much.

12 hours ago, Ry said:

Found that too - it all seems a set back from 7 which was the last one I played. Also why do some of the rally cars sound like angry bees?

20 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Found that too - it all seems a set back from 7 which was the last one I played. Also why do some of the rally cars sound like angry bees?

I may have to mess with the settings but it has some of the poorest handling I have experienced in a racing game. And I have put thousands of hours into racing games. 

The cars all feel like front wheel drive, there is no sense of traction. Its very weird. Going from recent rally titles like Dirt Rally and Dirt 5 it's night and day. I even fired up Colin Mcrae Rally 2 on the PS1 (on my Rg351p) and the handling felt ten times better on that. Felt like a car was on the actual road. 

2 hours ago, Ry said:

I may have to mess with the settings but it has some of the poorest handling I have experienced in a racing game. And I have put thousands of hours into racing games. 

The cars all feel like front wheel drive, there is no sense of traction. Its very weird. Going from recent rally titles like Dirt Rally and Dirt 5 it's night and day. I even fired up Colin Mcrae Rally 2 on the PS1 (on my Rg351p) and the handling felt ten times better on that. Felt like a car was on the actual road. 

Are you on a controller? I thought the same and returned it initially, despite all the people saying it’s fine. I re-bought when I got a wheel. While waiting on the wheel I did start to get used to it a bit. There are lots of options to play with but it will click eventually. 

With a pad on PS5 I’d say it was fantastic and I don’t think it’s all down to the DualSense but perhaps that helps even more than I thought. Are you both using a wheel setup?

2 hours ago, Ry said:

The cars all feel like front wheel drive

How do you mean, understeer? I certainly don’t get an over sense of that in the game. Perhaps changing the torque distribution and brake bias will help, LSD settings are a bit beyond me.

2 hours ago, Ry said:

Going from recent rally titles like Dirt Rally and Dirt 5 it's night and day

I think a lot of it is down to personal preference, driving style and equipment, I don’t think there is a game yet that you won’t get polar opposite opinions about the handling. I for one don’t hold Codemasters games in high regard, putting them firmly in the ok but a bit meh category.

Bad handling is not my experience of this game. On PS5 pad and wheel I think it’s really good. 
 I would say the different views all feel quite different from one another, and maybe changing that will help? 

That’s a good point. It’s a bit controversial but I find bonnet cam best.

In car is nicer and more immersive but it contains lots of things that are just peripheral when actually in a car and distracts from where your focus would actually be. 

13 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Looks as though the lowest it’s been on PSN is £17.49 (with Plus) I think I paid just over £20 when the PS5 launched. I do feel with these Sports/Yearly releases they should give you a discount if you own the previous version. EA do that a bit with FIFA but I don’t think it’s that much.

Yeah I think it's a fiver and it's always less than that physically.

Was reading through the thread and saw someone posted WRC 9 was on sale for 7.99, leaving me little choice but to buy it (and a nice surprise to find it reduced further to a frankly ridiculous £3.19 on visiting the store)

So it's downloading now. Maybe should have asked before buying, but as someone who really enjoyed Dirt Rally and how difficult and unforgiving it could be (using a pad), is this comparable at all? I understand from reading the thread it seems to be a bit less brutal, but does it have similar structure, locations and cars etc.

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it anyway but just curious about it.

1hr 44mins to go before I can try it :D

I will try changing the view. I'm on xbox and using a pad so I'm using a rear view. 

I normally use cockpit/bonnet in sim racers when using a wheel on Ps5. 

On 19/04/2021 at 15:00, scoobysi said:

As we’re cross platform I suspect it would be a case of someone posting the parameters (inc. weather etc.) to set up the event and then using quick play or whatever it is within the game to set a time.

Personally I quite like the time boxed element and limited attempts of the eSport events, it stops me becoming obsessed!

Rather than set up our own, can we not just use the in game times challenges?  Like the current 2 are Safari Challenge (good fun) and Cuchilla Nevada. 

(Daydreaming: Wonder if the devs could sneak in the original Sega Rally track for the lols. )

10 minutes ago, geldra said:

Rather than set up our own, can we not just use the in game times challenges?  Like the current 2 are Safari Challenge (good fun) and Cuchilla Nevada. 

(Daydreaming: Wonder if the devs could sneak in the original Sega Rally track for the lols. )

That’s a good idea. I probably won’t be a regular as the eSport schedule is sufficient for me.