WRC 9 Game thread. || Codemasters secure WRC license from 2023

• 5 months later...

No point making another thread so I've changed this to be about the official WRC game. 

Anyone else pick it up in the PSN Black Friday sale? I'm playing it on the base PS4 and visually it is the same as WRC8, the new co-driver is a definite improvement of an area that has always been a weak point and they've gotten rid of ridiculous career mode objectives like not using hard tyres, trying to finish Rally Argentina on soft tyres is no fun at all. I've never really clicked with DIRT 2.0 and while it does look better than the WRC games I really appreciate the real world stages of the official game. I am still absolutely terrible at any stages that require a modicum of delicate handing and have just bounced my way through Rally Monte Carlo in a WRC2 car hitting almost every wall on the way, the gravel rallys are much more suited to my limited skill set. 

Putting more time into I'm now convinced that the only reason Codemasters went and got the license is because Dirt 2.0 is as much as they can do with their current selection of cars and there's no more content to squeeze out of Colin McRae's legacy (they really should do a Richard Burns tribute pack at some point) and the WRC license will alllow them to add the newer rally cars or merge the two games together. I just hope they keep the same progress system WRC 9 has, career mode in DIRT have always felt boring to me.  

I picked this up for the PS5 and I have to say I am impressed.  Only spent a little tiomne with it but it all handles well and looks good enough.  And then you get the haptic feed back which is brilliant and despite buying a wheel I think I may continue to play this on a pad.

My post from the PS5 thread, didn’t know this existed.

For me WRC has more of the Colin McRae feel than Dirt Rally, I think it’s a combination of the track design, the fact that it plays amazingly well with the controller and is a bit less brutal than DR. Portugal, Finland and Sweden are my favourite locations so far, Sweden on the snow flows beautifully. Monte Carlo is brutal but after trashing my car and having to limp home it demonstrated the Dualsense well, my right trigger became really stiff and ratchety making it more difficult to accelerate and the left trigger went soft as if the brake pedal was going to the floor.

It’s a bit rough/buggy round the edges, I’m not sure about the career mode and managing the team (it doesn’t explain it very well either) but I like how the race calendar works, from month to month you can choose training, historic, extreme races etc. in between the main rallies. I started in Junior WRC and got offered a WRC2 drive towards the end of the season, settings are realistic damage and 100% difficulty. Some rallies I can win by a margin, think Sweden was around a minute whereas at Monte Carlo I was next to last due to all my mistakes but there seems plenty of room to adjust with difficulty going up to 150% and you can also switch on perma-crash or whatever it’s called (4 restarts per stage by default). There is a season mode with non of the career fluff so I expect I’ll move on to that at some point.

It’s exactly what I was looking for though, I have ACC and DR2 on PC when I’m after a more sim experience with wheel/pedals but as an alternative this is a perfect lounge racer. Really good value at around £21 with some cheap PSN credit from ShopTo.

This is the best Rally game ever made for me, especially on PS5. I loved the original Colin McRae Rally games on PSone and this really does feel like their true spiritual successor.

The locations and stages are absolutely brilliant, some of the best tracks I’ve played in any driving game, and there are loads of them, all with different times of day and dynamic weather! The handling feels fantastic, with a nice weight to the cars. You can feel the engine, the different surfaces, the car back firing etc through the haptics of the DualSense and the triggers replicate the resistance of pedals brilliantly. The career mode is excellent and there is also a Challenge mode (where you earn medals for beating tracks/times etc) alongside a comprehensive list of online modes. Graphics and sound are really nice, especially when the sunlight is pouring through the trees or the sun is setting as you thrash through a stage. Top game! Highly recommend giving it a go, if you haven’t already!

13 hours ago, scoobysi said:

It’s a bit rough/buggy round the edges, I’m not sure about the career mode and managing the team (it doesn’t explain it very well either) but I like how the race calendar works, from month to month you can choose training, historic, extreme races etc. in between the main rallies. I started in Junior WRC and got offered a WRC2 drive towards the end of the season, settings are realistic damage and 100% difficulty. Some rallies I can win by a margin, think Sweden was around a minute whereas at Monte Carlo I was next to last due to all my mistakes but there seems plenty of room to adjust with difficulty going up to 150% and you can also switch on perma-crash or whatever it’s called (4 restarts per stage by default). There is a season mode with non of the career fluff so I expect I’ll move on to that at some point.

They're still actively updating it, for free without the Codemasters style slow for pay DLC strategy. A big update is coming in December, with co-driver multiplayer mode. I must say it looks and plays great, rock solid 60fps for me without any stuttering or dips on Series X. It makes Dirt 5 look and feel like a joke. I also prefer the general gameplay and presentation over Dirt Rally 2.0... it just feels more solid, focused and "alive".

Pity the WRC license is going to Codemasters in 2023, more so now it will be part of the predators at Take 2 by then. 

There’s another new update coming along for WRC 9 in December, bringing along new stages, features and a remarkable new vehicle.

The December update will add a vehicle that hasn’t actually turned a wheel in competition yet: the Toyota GR Yaris. Set to debut in the 2021 season, the GR Yaris replaces the already successful Yaris as Toyota’s World Rally Championship entry, and it’s got a rather interesting genesis.

Co-driver mode:

A big new feature arriving in the December update is Co-driver Mode. This is a unique co-op mode which allows two players to take part in a rally stage as driver and co-driver. While one player has the traditional driving duties, the other will be calling the pace-notes via integrated voice chat.

Would love to play this with some of you and have a good laugh. 

13 hours ago, scoobysi said:

It’s a bit rough/buggy round the edges, I’m not sure about the career mode and managing the team (it doesn’t explain it very well either) but I like how the race calendar works, from month to month you can choose training, historic, extreme races etc. in between the main rallies.

In the menu next to Career mode, there is Season mode. This is basically the same as career without the team management part. I personally prefer it, although the Career mode is not that bad but it just feels unnecessary to me... I want to race, don't care too much about Football Manager type of gameplay. For the same reason I have a hard time getting into Forza... there is too much bloat, too much stuff that takes away from the actual racing. This is a problem in most modern games. 

12 hours ago, Fully Aspel said:

This is the best Rally game ever made for me, especially on PS5. I loved the original Colin McRae Rally games on PSone and this really does feel like their true spiritual successor.

It is indeed, in a way that Dirt Rally 2.0 never felt like it. It just lacks the focus and presentation and also the visuals just feel slightly off somehow. 

TLDR; my favorite next-gen game so far and cannot wait for WRC 10 to show up at some point with true next-generation engine and goodies. I also find rally games the perfect piece of escapism in Covid-19 times. Not the most zen one, especially not the Monte Carlo rally, but soothing nonetheless. 

The free updates are new this year. Generally they just released patches and additional cars you had to pay for. I bought the Deluxe edition of WRC 9 just to have the Corolla. I think the additional cars and content this year might be because with Citroen quitting the WRC at the end of last season there's only three cars to choose from when you get to the top tier of career mode and they felt they had to add something to make up for it.

I haven't gotten to the new events in Japan or Kenya yet but this video of the Initial D Japan stage makes me think I'll need to turn the damage off when I get there. 

I use the chase cam and one of the small details I appreciate in WRC 9 compared to DIRT is that it feels like an event is going on. Each rally gives the car a new decal with the event name on it and there are lots of advertisements and banners at the side of the road to make it feel like an event is happening while in some rally games it can feel like you're racing in a vacuum unless there's a broken down car somewhere on the stage.

This is the first game I've played at 120fps and while I prefer the 4k60 option for a balance of feel and visuals, it's pretty remarkable.

Haptic feedback alone is worth the £25 or whatever I paid. Not played a rally game since the original Dirt Rally, but this is excellent. Tough and quite punishing but a real flow-state kind of thing when you get into the rhythm. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I use the chase cam and one of the small details I appreciate in WRC 9 compared to DIRT is that it feels like an event is going on. Each rally gives the car a new decal with the event name on it and there are lots of advertisements and banners at the side of the road to make it feel like an event is happening while in some rally games it can feel like you're racing in a vacuum unless there's a broken down car somewhere on the stage.

This is a big thing, it reminds me of the first PSX Formula One game.  Each race, the drivers changed the ones that actually ran that race (and there were a few changes that season).  

It was a huge thing for immersion, and was immediately forgotten for every Psygnosis/Sony/Codemasters F1 game from that point on.  F1 2020 is an utter joke in that respect given what happened in reality.

3 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I believe it is only 60fps? It was running at 30fps and now 60fps. Can't remember reading anything about 120fps. 

BTW, I see now that WRC 10 and 11 were announced already with WRC 9.

https://www.gtplanet.net/wrc-9-playstation-5-launch-20201028/

I understand that you need to set the console to 'Performance Mode' as default (which is weird) and you get 120fps at 1080p. Not sure how it works on the X, but probably more straightforward. 

I might be wrong here and it's pure placebo on my end. 

17 minutes ago, Marlew said:

https://www.gtplanet.net/wrc-9-playstation-5-launch-20201028/

I understand that you need to set the console to 'Performance Mode' as default (which is weird) and you get 120fps at 1080p. Not sure how it works on the X, but probably more straightforward. 

I might be wrong here and it's pure placebo on my end. 

Quoting myself rather than editing. I went into the developer menu on my C9 and where COD does display as 120fps, WRC9 doesn't...

So, seems it was pure placebo or else running the game in Performance Mode does make some difference in itself.

Either way, they've advertised the PS5 version as 120fps in Performance Mode...so where is it? 

38 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It was a huge thing for immersion, and was immediately forgotten for every Psygnosis/Sony/Codemasters F1 game from that point on.  F1 2020 is an utter joke in that respect given what happened in reality.

I think that's harsh. WRC 9 is also based on a season that didn't happen. The real WRC 2020 managed to squeeze in three events before lockdown including Rally Mexico which they rushed to finish a day early so they could get out of Mexico before the borders were closed. They added new events like Estonia, Rally Belgium (now cancelled) and Rally Monza to fill out the short seven race calandar which WRC 9 will not be updated to include and I doubt will feature in future games either. One feature the F1 games have over WRC is the tv style coverage before and after a race to add to the immersion, it would be nice if the game had something similar especially when one of the presenters from WRC+ narrates the tutorial in career mode.

31 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Quoting myself rather than editing. I went into the developer menu on my C9 and where COD does display as 120fps, WRC9 doesn't...

I also don't appear to have 120fps mode on the PS5 with this. Did it not get released yet? There's nowhere obvious to select it, and it's definitely not doing it by default.

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I also don't appear to have 120fps mode on the PS5 with this. Did it not get released yet? There's nowhere obvious to select it, and it's definitely not doing it by default.

Never announced you probably confuse with Dirt 5. Last gen ran at 30fps and now 60fps. 

5 hours ago, ryodi said:

I think that's harsh. WRC 9 is also based on a season that didn't happen. The real WRC 2020 managed to squeeze in three events before lockdown including Rally Mexico which they rushed to finish a day early so they could get out of Mexico before the borders were closed. They added new events like Estonia, Rally Belgium (now cancelled) and Rally Monza to fill out the short seven race calandar which WRC 9 will not be updated to include and I doubt will feature in future games either. One feature the F1 games have over WRC is the tv style coverage before and after a race to add to the immersion, it would be nice if the game had something similar especially when one of the presenters from WRC+ narrates the tutorial in career mode.

That's not unfair but WRC 9 doesn't seem to me like its trying to simulate the season as such, just being a rally game with the proper cars. A rally game never has all of all the real stages anyway so it's less of a loss.

But missing half the tracks in an F1 game feels like a huge hole.

34 minutes ago, Marlew said:

November interview with the technical and creative director here where he references 120fps on PS5 several times.

So apparently 120fps at 1080p/Full HD and 60fps at 4K. Curious how that is on Series X since I play at 1080p for now. My tv doesn't support 120fps anyway.

I got this in the sale mainly as I don’t have much to play on ps5 and to try out the fancy triggers/rumble, not really expecting much as I tried wrc 8, but couldn’t get the wheel setup how I like it and was all over the place, didn’t give it much of a try mind (got it ‘free’ with gold or gamepass or something). But anyway been plesantly surprised, it controls well with the pad, looks pretty nice (Although not as good as dirt 5/rally 2 on a pc imo), runs smooth, mostly wider tracks than dirt rally, and you can turn off perma death, so a bit more relaxing to play. Done my first season, don’t fully understand all the career mode stuff, it was trying to make me quit and go to a different team or something in the middle of the season, and has weird objectives like don’t use certain types of tyre, and sometimes I don’t have access to certain types of crew, but none of that seems to make much difference. Not sure what I think of the fancy triggers/rumble effects, on one hand they’re pretty cool, with the different rumbling on different surfaces, and the kick when the exhaust pops, but I’m not sure they’re really giving much useful feedback, or possibly they are and I’m just not used to it.

Like many others I went for the PS5 sale offer. Spent a couple of hours this afternoon on the Welsh weekly time trial. Became very familiar with the trees, long grass, being upside down and being among the rest of the breakable scenery. My time is rubbish, if anyone on here doesn't have me as a friend, please add me. There's only 2 of you on my friends list on that trial at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

That's not unfair but WRC 9 doesn't seem to me like its trying to simulate the season as such, just being a rally game with the proper cars. A rally game never has all of all the real stages anyway so it's less of a loss.

But missing half the tracks in an F1 game feels like a huge hole.

No rally game is ever going to have the  full rally distance but it does include each event of the original 2020 calendar with a decent number of stages for each. It apparently takes Codemasters a year to create each track in game and the only one they'd have any designs for is Turkey because it was around when the first started making the game so I'm not sure what you expected them to do. 

42 minutes ago, Marlew said:

For those riveted by the 120fps chat, the November update with Performance Mode has apparently been delayed to December. 

Thank you for confirming this.  I came here to ask this specific question!

I picked this up for PS5 based on the positive chat about the controller trigger and haptic implementation along with being intrigued by the 120hz mode.  I really do like the controller with the adaptive triggers being a real highlight.  Plying this game me big PS1 Colin McRae vibes, due in part to being wowed by a rally game for the first time in (25?) years and also for the PlayStation doing something cool.