WRC 9 Game thread. || Codemasters secure WRC license from 2023

First attempt a miserable 12'26"651 (Series X) 

Did OK on the first stage but the second one is savage, the slightest misjudgement and you're in the forest on your roof. 

I think the same left mentioned earlier caught me out. It's called as a 5 tightens into 4 but it's a very abrupt tightening with a drop off a verge if you overshoot. 

34 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I think the same left mentioned earlier caught me out. It's called as a 5 tightens into 4 but it's a very abrupt tightening with a drop off a verge if you overshoot. 

Caught me out on every run :hmm:

Second attempt 12'16"571. First attempt was a train wreck not worth mentioning. 

I have to nail the big jump at the end of the Kono stage. First time I did a barrel roll and second attempt I just barely hit the snow wall on the side which send me spinning like crazy although I kept it on the road after a 360 or 5. I love these stages with changing weather during the run. 

Will give it another try tonight when my daughter is sleeping since she likes to walk in front of the TV a lot. 

WRC 9 is such an awesome game, easily in top #3 since acquiring the Series X. Killer soundtrack too. 

Sweden  (Torsby Reverse/Knon) 

Ranked
1. scoobysi             10’50”207  PS5

2. spatular              11’03”819   PS5

3. SharkyOB           11'10"139   PC

4. MNFRMTMRRW 12'16"571  Series X

5. Uncle Mike         12’24”272  PS5

6. deerokus            12'26"651  Series X

Both this and Wreckfest are games that I bought in a sale, knowing they were getting some praise but not expecting too much but are now two of my favourite racing games.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I really should actually play the game. I have not really gotten into it after I bought it. So this was something of a noob attempt.

There has never been a better time to play this game, especially on PlayStation 5 with the Dual Sense controller (I am on a Series X). 

Sweden  (Torsby Reverse/Knon) 

Ranked
1. scoobysi             10’46”383  PS5

2. spatular              11’03”819   PS5

4. MNFRMTMRRW 12'16"571  Series X

5. Uncle Mike         12’24”272  PS5

A slight improvement on my 2nd stage time, 1 run left.

4 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

There has never been a better time to play this game, especially on PlayStation 5 with the Dual Sense controller (I am on a Series X). 

Has this been in any sales at all? I looked at it the other day and it briefly showed as £25 50% off but then changed to full price. I wondered if maybe it was due to go on sale maybe or if I had an old price cached or something if that’s even possible. This was the store on the console. 

spatular 10’49”602 PS5

my fastest first stage with 3’07, second stage was a bit messy similar to previous times. One go left... edit - last run was a bit slower, crashed on second to last corner.

19 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Final time: 11:37:983.

Turns out not crashing all the time is quicker, although even then I stood the car on its nose and had to recover from landing on my roof.

Yep it’s amazing what a clean run including not scrubbing time off in the vegetation will result in. Nice time.

17 minutes ago, spatular said:

my fastest first stage with 3’07

That’s a great 1st stage time, I seem to be stuck around 3’09.

Sweden (Torsby Reverse/Knon) 

Ranked

2. spatular              10’49”602  PS5

4. Uncle Mike         11’37”983  PS5

5. MNFRMTMRRW 12'16"571  Series X

Well I can't even get under 13m 30secs, nor see any way of going any faster without sliding off into the trees. It's like that on every track I  play. A rare example of a game genre I'd love to be good at but no matter how many times I play, I just seem to get worse. There's something fundamentally wrong with my driving, obviously. 

Hey ho, can't win them all. I still appreciate the game for what it does and I'm genuinely in awe of the times you guys have set. 

Just put me down as DNF :P

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

Well I can't even get under 13m 30secs, nor see any way of going any faster without sliding off into the trees. It's like that on every track I  play. A rare example of a game genre I'd love to be good at but no matter how many times I play, I just seem to get worse. There's something fundamentally wrong with my driving, obviously. 

Hey ho, can't win them all. I still appreciate the game for what it does and I'm genuinely in awe of the times you guys have set. 

Just put me down as DNF :P

I’d suggest working through some of the Challenges, especially the training ones, many are 30sec laps, once you start to find your line you can then increase your speed and because the laps are so short you get to try again quickly if you mess up.

Despite setting my best first stage of 3’06”104 I couldn’t improve my overall time. I made an error early on in the 2nd stage, on the downhill hard left and despite throwing caution to the wind and gunning it through the rest of the stage for probably my fastest time I eventually pushed my luck too far.

Sweden (Torsby Reverse/Knon) 

Ranked

2. spatular              10’49”602  PS5

4. Uncle Mike         11’37”983  PS5

5. MNFRMTMRRW 12'16"571  Series X

7. magicaldrop        DNF           PS5

18 minutes ago, Parappa said:

How do you see friends leaderboards on this - I was trying to find some of you I have as PSN friends but couldn't see anything.  And my time was crap anyway. :P

When you’re in the event, on the left there’s something like Online Leadboards, When you’re in the Leaderboard, top right there is a drop-down that you can change to My Ranking or Friends.

I am having lots of funs with the current Wales Rally challenge. Those 3 stages are spectacular.... I absolutely love the last power stage. 

I am also making around 3 barrel rolls per stage so I am back to practice... 13"30 is not a result I am happy with.

What a blast this game... when you hit a few corners in a row right in a perfect flow you get such a dopamine boost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah me too!

Been playing this with a wheel for the first time the other day, its great! I think having problems with 8 and the wheel put me off trying it, but it works really well, with minimal setup. kicking myself for waiting this long to try it (did 2.5 seasons with the pad last year).

^ i dont really know, but can say its quite a bit easier than dirt rally. And i think you can turn the AI skill down. But its still a rally game with some narrow tracks so can be pretty tricky still. Dirt 5 doesnt seem that popular but its much more arcade, really wide tracks, and not really rallying, but probably much easier from a getting round the track point of view, and i really enjoyed it too, so that might be an option.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

I take it this doesn’t have a super easy mode for rubbish drivers?

It's not nearly as brutal and simulationy as the Dirt Rally games. It's hard but pretty accessible and you can turn the ai and damage etc right down if you just want to get some wins. 

The stages can be vicious mind. 

Mexico (Autodromo de Leon/El Chocolate reverse) 

Ranked
1. scoobysi             15’06”844  PS5

spatular                PS5

SharkyOB             PC

Uncle Mike           PS5

MNFRMTMRRW  Series X

deerokus             Series X

magicaldrop        PS5

Tried to take it cautious for the 1st run but it’s tough and there are so many opportunities on the 2nd stage to mess it up, go off the edge etc. Ended up stuck behind a wall about half way (probably should have just reset) and a tree later on plus one penalty for going off the edge.