WRC 9 Game thread. || Codemasters secure WRC license from 2023

ryodi

5 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

How accessible is this? Is it Dirt Rally hard or is it arcade enough that a casual could enjoy?

In between. It's not arcade but it's not anywhere near as hardcore a simulation as Dirt Rally. Turn down the ai difficulty and damage and you'll have a good time if you just want a bit of casual rallying. The Dirt Rally games to me seem to almost require a wheel which this absolutely doesn't. Some of the stages are rock hard mind you! 

I'd compare it to the old Colin McRae games, similar kind of thing. The career mode is quite well done too. 

12 hours ago, gooner4life said:

How accessible is this? Is it Dirt Rally hard or is it arcade enough that a casual could enjoy?

I’d agree with @deerokus , it does feel a bit like a spiritual successor to Colin McRae and in that respect is better suited to consoles with a controller than DR imo. I wouldn’t say it’s in any way arcade but it is definitely accessible, taking in to account that Rallying is more difficult than standard track racing.

You can also start off in a lower category of car e.g. Junior WRC and work up from there. Many of the tracks are fantastic in this game, I can’t recommend it enough. As a bonus you also get the best DualSense support in a racing game so far.

This and Wrekfest are the two racing games that I didn’t expect too much of when I bought them but have turned out to be absolutely brilliant.

I do want to get back into DR 2.0 and the Colin McRae pack but I’m taking a break from SIMs and my wheel at the moment for some more relaxed couch based gaming, which WRC 9 is great for.

I ended up getting a refund on it as I found it pretty uncontrollable on a pad. I played around with settings a lot - there are loads of people telling you how online which isn’t a great sign really. It seems most struggle. 

I’m sure I could get used to it or fiddle more but life’s too short and I preferred doing the rallies in Forza. 

9 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I ended up getting a refund on it as I found it pretty uncontrollable on a pad. I played around with settings a lot - there are loads of people telling you how online which isn’t a great sign really. It seems most struggle. 

I’m sure I could get used to it or fiddle more but life’s too short and I preferred doing the rallies in Forza. 

What system were you on? I’ve never touched any of the pad configuration on PS5 and it controls beautifully.

I’m on Series X. Perhaps all the haptic stuff helps on PS5 but on Xbox it’s super twitchy. Turning dead zone up and sensitivity down helps a bit but I’m not paying to fix the controls, that’s their job. 

18 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I’m on Series X. Perhaps all the haptic stuff helps on PS5 but on Xbox it’s super twitchy. Turning dead zone up and sensitivity down helps a bit but I’m not paying to fix the controls, that’s their job. 

I don’t think the haptics would help much with that, the adaptive triggers for steering and braking perhaps but not the steering.

Having highlighted the sale price earlier, I have now purchased and popped my WRC 9 PS5 bubble - bloody hell the Dual Sense implementation is good. 

I have WRC 8 on PC, which has a good implementation of rumble triggers, but this is next level. Plus, no faff with frame rate limiters to avoid micro stutter / issues with connecting to license servers (which happened over Christmas).

First go at Argentina - 18'49"763

No doubt way off the pace, but I jumped straight into it before trying the tracks separately. I tried the first stage with the in car camera, kept getting lost - reverted to the chase cam which made it much easier to follow the track. I still crashed, a lot. 

I also bought this yesterday thanks to the PS+ sale and thoroughly enjoyed what I’ve played so far. Like others have said this has strong Colin McRae vibes, and it’s also reminding me a lot of the amazing WRC games from evolution studios back on the PS2.

My main gripe with Dirt Rally 2.0 was the stages were so unmemorable; it always felt like the dev had an automatic terrain generator, dragged out a massive land mass full of dense trees, and just put a random route through it. Whereas WRC9’s stages feel more hand crafted, with actual focus points and memorable points of interest like paddy fields in Japan, overhanging cliff sides in Monte Carlo, or small villages you see in the distance and eventually pass through.

It is lacking a bit of spit and polish though, for example has anyone else noticed the interior camera view is insanely dark on PS5? I can barely see through the windscreen on some stages so I’ve mostly stuck to using the exterior camera view.

40 minutes ago, Malc said:

It is lacking a bit of spit and polish though, for example has anyone else noticed the interior camera view is insanely dark on PS5? I can barely see through the windscreen on some stages so I’ve mostly stuck to using the exterior camera view.

You did turn your lights and wipers on, didn’t you?

21 minutes ago, AlexM said:

You did turn your lights and wipers on, didn’t you?

:lol: yeah, I knew about lights and window wipers but unfortunately this seems to be a known issue now that I’ve googled it.

I took a pic of two views to demonstrate: 

Outside bonnet cam:

E73DB58A-FC89-457E-8022-92A5CF7F3201.thumb.jpeg.d286c085df3692d73fbf690df457e4ec.jpeg

inside windscreen cam: 

9044DC4F-6F7F-4917-BBA9-197C4C39EBA4.thumb.jpeg.14b26afada2d3fa6aa3c54874d145d30.jpeg

Could be an HDR issue so I might try disabling it on the PS5 and see if that improves it at all.

Should point out that beside this minor issue I am enjoying the game. 

Nah it is darker, something about the way their engine works means the rendering is slightly different in car. 

I usually play from bonnet but if it's raining I need those wipers so go in car haha. 

Nice to have some new players @AlexM @Malc :D.

Argentina (El Condor reverse/Cuchilla Nevada/Parque Tematico)

Ranked

1. AlexM                    18'49"763  PS5

2. spatular                PS5

2. scoobysi               PS5

2. SharkyOB             PC

2. Uncle Mike           PS5

2. deerokus              Series X

2. MNFRMTMRRW   Series X

2. Malc                      PS5

Argentina (El Condor reverse/Cuchilla Nevada/Parque Tematico)

Ranked

1.  scoobysi               15’21”190   PS5. 16’12”078
2. AlexM                    18'49"763  PS5

2. spatular                PS5

2. MNFRMTMRRW   Series X

2. Ford-UK                PS5

Enjoying these stages but it’s so easy to catch a rock so was a bit of a messy run. 

*** went again, more pleased with that run, didn’t use all my repair time which was better at least.

Ranked

1.  spatular                14’52”229  PS5
2. scoobysi               15’21”190   PS5
3. AlexM                    18'49"763  PS5

2. MNFRMTMRRW   Series X

2. Ford-UK                PS5

Knew it wouldn’t last long :D.

Sorry shouldnt have posted the first go before trying again, got a better first stage time, even with a slight altercation with one of the tiny bridges, but similar times on stages 2 and 3 i think.

spatular 14’43”361 PS5

Ranked

1.  spatular                14’43”361  PS5

3. deerokus               17'39"855 Series X
4. AlexM                    18'49"763  PS5

SharkyOB             PC

Uncle Mike           PS5

MNFRMTMRRW   Series X

Malc                      PS5

Ford-UK                PS5

Ranked

3. SharkyOB              15'55"701 PC

4. deerokus               17'39"855 Series X
5. AlexM                    18'49"763  PS5

Uncle Mike           PS5

MNFRMTMRRW   Series X

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Not really feeling this one, don't think I really get on with the Argentinian stages.  Stage 2 is fun but the others are a bit of a slog for me.

15'55"701

It's definitely not a stage to jump in to as a 'rookie', the first stage especially. 

I had another go and improved, but I'm spinning a lot - I keep overcorrecting slides. The controls are sensitive, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. 

4 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Ranked

3. SharkyOB              15'55"701 PC

4. deerokus               17'39"855 Series X

Uncle Mike           PS5

MNFRMTMRRW   Series X

Same as Uncle Mike, I’d like to participate in this next week if you could tag me for the next one.

I presume this is just the weekly event accessed on the main menu, and we report our times here? Any limit on the number of attempts?

45 minutes ago, Malc said:

Same as Uncle Mike, I’d like to participate in this next week if you could tag me for the next one.

I presume this is just the weekly event accessed on the main menu, and we report our times here? Any limit on the number of attempts?

It’s the eSport event, if you press R1 to move across 2 screens the tile is bottom left (also bottom left on first screen when active). The rounds are every 2 weeks, the next one is New Zealand 2nd to 5th April.

You only get 5 timed attempts but there’s also an option to do practice/warmup runs but those are not recorded on the leaderboard.

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

It's definitely not a stage to jump in to as a 'rookie', the first stage especially. 

I had another go and improved, but I'm spinning a lot - I keep overcorrecting slides. The controls are sensitive, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. 

Yep these are quite tough stages, a lot of rocks to make contact with! Hopefully New Zealand will be a bit better.

Ranked

3. SharkyOB              15'55"701  PC

4. deerokus               17'0"659    Series X

Uncle Mike           PS5

MNFRMTMRRW   Series X