WRC 9 Game thread. || Codemasters secure WRC license from 2023

ryodi

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

I found it unplayable with a controller on Xbox but others find it great. I returned it but re-bought when I got a wheel. It’s still hard but is a good game. I guess it just depends what you’re expecting. I think it clicks eventually. 

I changed the dead zone to zero and it’s helped a lot but it’s still tricky. 

I think at least part of it is getting used to handling etc but the defaults were wild - was like a dodgem. 

3 hours ago, Alshie said:

Is anyone else using a Ps5 controller for this?

I find it incredibly difficult to control - have you changed the settings around to make it handle better? I seem to be going ok and then I’ll lurch to one side before massively over correcting. 

When I can control the car it’s good fun. I think this is the first rally gane I’ve played since Rallisport on the Xbox. 

The career mode also throws you in at the deep end a wee bit. A lot of info to take in. 

I use a PS5 controller with default settings. I think it controls brilliantly but you spend a lot of time sliding/sideways on different surfaces with hazards close by vs a track based racer where generally you have plenty grip on wide tracks makes it more difficult as you need to be much more precise with positioning and speed. It’s natural that you will over correct to begin with but I’m sure you’ll adjust to the feel of the controller with practice.

16 hours ago, Alshie said:

I find it incredibly difficult to control - have you changed the settings around to make it handle better? I seem to be going ok and then I’ll lurch to one side before massively over correcting. 

I mean it must be possible as others are enjoying it loads ands I love a good rally game but I'm in the same boat. Combination of the controls and the fact that relatively small obstacles bring your car to a shuddering halt has meant I just can't get on with it.

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

I mean it must be possible as others are enjoying it loads ands I love a good rally game but I'm in the same boat. Combination of the controls and the fact that relatively small obstacles bring your car to a shuddering halt has meant I just can't get on with it.

I’d actually say it was more the other way, very forgiving, at least in comparison to DR 2.0. There are often rocks on the road or slightly to the side that I think should affect the car but don’t. It’s probably intentional for playability versus the more SIM approach in DR 2.0 where hit a twig (ok maybe a log) and you’re doomed.

Have you tried some of the slower cars e.g. Junior WRC and maybe a location like Finland. Those stages are fast but with long straights and sweeping bends. Ignore times/competitors and just build up speed gradually. Once it clicks it really is a great game.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I'm guessing there's no demo for this on PS5 right?

No I don’t think so.

3 hours ago, scoobysi said:

maybe a location like Finland.

yeah some of the locations have much wider tracks and should be a lot better to start with, although i can't remember which the others are.

I played quite a bit with the default pad settings too and thought it controlled really well - but maybe that's another thing that could just be relative to dirt rally which i wouldn't bother playing with a controller personally.

edit - oh yeah i forgot to say good timetrialling at the last event everyone! really close with CrichStand there!

Malc 14’34”039

Managed that on my first run, which included a couple of spins and a 10 second penalty for jumping the starting line. Might try and have another go if I get the time over the weekend.

Can’t say I’m a massive fan of the German stages. All tarmac means the car is a bit twitchy compared to the gentle drifts on gravel. Also the constant ‘square right/left’ turns are a bit tedious...

Germany (Freisen/Mittelmosel Reverse)

Ranked

1. Malc.                      14’34”039 PS5

spatular                PS5

CrichStand           PS5

SharkyOB              PC

Malc                      PS5

scoobysi               PS5

Ford-UK.               PS5

MNFRMTMRRW    Series X

AlexM                    PS5

deerokus               Series X

Uncle Mike            PS5

@Malc I know what you mean about the stages, not overly keen on the bits with walls down one side either. Only done a warmup run so far and it wasn’t very good!

Just keep catching my nose too much and messing up. Potential to be low 14s but I don’t think it’ll happen, 1 attempt left.

Germany (Freisen/Mittelmosel Reverse)

Ranked

1. Malc.                      14’34”039 PS5

2. scoobysi                14’47”259 PS5

spatular                PS5

CrichStand           PS5

SharkyOB              PC

Malc                      PS5

scoobysi               PS5

MNFRMTMRRW    Series X

Saw this on sale on the Xbox the other day for £23.99 in the Easter sale. Glad I held off now because £7.99 seems like an absolute steal. My other half has been playing it non stop all morning. 

agree with you guys about the stages, not the best ones this time. Had a few goes, first stage times were both very similar and very similar to scoobysi too, second stage was a bit of a disaster first time, next time took it a bit more cautiously and didnt have as many spins/penalties so it went better:

spatular 13’36”373 PS5

3 hours ago, Ry said:

Picked this up for xbox. Looking forward to giving it a try. 

Are you guys doing some wee online tournament? 

It’s the eSport event (usually bottom left when you start the game), they run for a weekend every couple of weeks so this one will be active until lunchtime tomorrow. You get 5 timed runs which are the ones we post or the 2nd option down in the event is a warmup run i.e. practice where it doesn’t record your time but you can have as many goes as you want.

Another very good time @spatular.

Germany (Freisen/Mittelmosel Reverse)

Ranked

1. spatular                  13’36”373 PS5
2. Malc.                      14’34”039 PS5

3. scoobysi                14’47”259 PS5

CrichStand           PS5

SharkyOB              PC

MNFRMTMRRW    Series X

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete a run this week.  I did try yesterday morning, but I had three runs ruined by the game randomly going to a black screen for a few seconds then coming back with the game paused.  Unpausing invariably saw that I'd already had a huge crash or was just about to.  Frustrating and I didn't have time to investigate before I had to head out.

Hopefully I'll be able to participate again next time.

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

How’s Dirt Rally 2 on Xbox? I was thinking of picking it up in addition to this for more tracks and cars. 

I prefer wrc. Dirt 2 probably has better physics and more attention to detail, and looks nice but the career structure is pathetic, the stages are boring. It's also extremely thin on content unless you buy all the dlc. Codies got really bad for that before EA bought them - releasing half the game as paid dlc.

It's not a bad game or anything but this is more fun to play. 

15 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I prefer wrc. Dirt 2 probably has better physics and more attention to detail, and looks nice but the career structure is pathetic, the stages are boring. It's also extremely thin on content unless you buy all the dlc. Codies got really bad for that before EA bought them - releasing half the game as paid dlc.

It's not a bad game or anything but this is more fun to play. 

Thanks. I was looking at the GOTY version for about £15 but might stick with just this for now. 

I was tempted by what looked like a wider range of cars than the hatchbacks plus a few classics you get in this. 

How’s Dirt Rally 2 on Xbox? I was thinking of picking it up in addition to this for more tracks and cars. 

It's a great driving experience with a wheel, but don't bother if you're a pad player. I tend to drop on the couch with a pad nowadays, despite having a wheel, so WRC9 is the rally go-to. 

The weekend only eSports events are too short for me, I couldn't squeeze it in last weekend - is there any way to organise 1-2 week events that we rotate?

25 minutes ago, AlexM said:

The weekend only eSports events are too short for me, I couldn't squeeze it in last weekend - is there any way to organise 1-2 week events that we rotate?

As we’re cross platform I suspect it would be a case of someone posting the parameters (inc. weather etc.) to set up the event and then using quick play or whatever it is within the game to set a time.

Personally I quite like the time boxed element and limited attempts of the eSport events, it stops me becoming obsessed!

ive not played it on xbox, but i really like dirt rally 2, would only recommend it if you have a wheel though. Its a bit harder than this too - its a bit like the really narrow tracks in this, but its like that all the time, but with much more danger, and if you slowly slide off the road, it can (although unlikely) end the whole rally. Im not sure im selling it too well there but it is great! And so is wrc9 :)