rllmuk

Gaming headsets and next gen considerations

What gaming headsets do you use and what are your thoughts about future proof upgrades?

I have been using these Logitechs for the last 4/5 years and am thinking of upgrading to either these Astro a50 series 4 however some of my gaming friends told me that 90pc of pro CS players use these HyperX Cloud 2s which are 1/4 the price of the astro.

With next gen around the corner I don't want to buy a redundant headset and I note the astro are PS4/PC only, no Xbox support. I'm likely to get a PS5 and maybe just maybe an Xbox too later down the line..

Interested in your thoughts. Those astro look tasty but am wondering why those hybrids are used by so many..

I bought the astro a50 as impatient man is impatient and managed to get them delivered within 30 minutes. They're super nice so far. Interested in the customisation options to see if there's a better mix.

• Upvote 1

I got the Razer Kraken Tournament edition to use with xbox one yesterday https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/razer-kraken-tournament-edition-71-gaming-headset-6-months-spotify-3478127#comments

They're amazingly comfy, played for about 6 hours with them on and they were barely noticeable on my head. Needed to be wired for Xbox one.

Forgot how immersive good headphones can be, I'll be getting a lot of use out of them for sure.

@Jackson The specs on Currys states cable length 1.3m is that correct. Seems a bit short. 

I've got Sony's PS4 gold headset from about 5 years ago and it's fine and dandy apart from teh fact the ear cuffs are shedding bits of black plastic constantly now. There's bits of crap all over house. Seems a shame to retire them just for this but it's a pain in the tits. 

I've tried using duct tape on them to remove any loose bits but it's a never ending task. 

2 hours ago, skittles said:

I bought the astro a50 as impatient man is impatient and managed to get them delivered within 30 minutes. They're super nice so far. Interested in the customisation options to see if there's a better mix.

I have the A50s, albeit probably Gen 1 or something. I got them working on everything (even Wii and PS Classic) with an HDMI to optical audio extractor running into an optical switcher into the MixAmp. They're extremely comfortable (like, as comfortable as any proper top tier audiophile headphones I've owned) and for gaming, the sound stage and imaging is really good. I use them on the treble boosting setting, whatever that is. I find them a little bit bassy otherwise and it brings out the detail really nicely without ever being fatiguing or sibilant.

I recently got the Audeze Mobius which are planar 'gaming' headphones and they do sound much better for music and they're a more natural presentation for gaming, but they're not as comfortable even after a month breaking them in and no consoles work with them over BT so it's essentially a wired solution via USB for PS4 and Switch, or the slightly shit audio jack on the XB1X. That doesn't bother me because I sit about 2m from the telly in the gaming room and my wife isn't bothered about the wires in here. For most people, though, I'd imagine they're a bit of a faff. Also, for what it's worth, USB/jack output is only stereo rather than the other hi-res or 7.1 options available on the headphones. With PC, you can use these modes, though.

However, 90% of my use has been with music and movies and they are absolutely superb, both via BT and wired. I've had some top tier headphone gear over the last ten years but these are the endgame phones I've always wanted. Of course, they're not quite as spectacular as a dedicated top tier amp, DAC and headphone pairing but they are far beyond 'good enough' for about a third of the price. They're also functionally so much more straightforward (despite the cabling on consoles) and the quality playing Tidal Masters from my phone over Bluetooth (!) is so good. No more DAPs, no more managing files and folders on my laptop, no more USB DACs. Headphones, phone, awesome. 

• Upvote 2
56 minutes ago, idiwa said:

@Jackson The specs on Currys states cable length 1.3m is that correct. Seems a bit short. 

Plugs into the pad so no biggie, and then if you want to connect via USB to pc it comes with an extension for that with its own funky control pad thing

• Upvote 1

It's a little early to be throwing around recommendations, but for PS5 it seems like the best approach would be to use a nice pair of headphones that you plug into the controller. No need to mess around with virtual surround sound as the console has its own built-in 3D audio hardware and the DualSense has a microphone array in it so it should be able to do a good job of isolating your voice for chat.

In terms of headsets, I used to use a HyperX Revolver which was great value for money at the time; good offers on the range seem to crop up regularly. For the last couple of years I've been using SteelSeries's Arctis 7, which I really like but would probably recommend one of the cheaper variants for next-gen console use as you'll probably only be using them wired anyway.

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

Plugs into the pad so no biggie, and then if you want to connect via USB to pc it comes with an extension for that with its own funky control pad thing

Ah, I didn't realise..I thought it was plugging in directly to the PS4. Cheers. 

I just use my Sony sony wh-1000xm2 headphones wired into the pad with a V-MODA BoomPro Microphone. 

Works an absolute treat, gives me noise cancelling, and means I don't need a separate gaming-only set of headphones.

Are there any that have dual channel audio, whereby you there is unique volume controls for game audio and chat? I had a pair of cheap turtle beaches (x11's I think), for the 360 that had that feature. None of the more expensive pairs I have since owned have had it. Those things were unreal for the money they were only like £35. Sound quality was tremendous as was the build quality.

3 hours ago, idiwa said:

I've got Sony's PS4 gold headset from about 5 years ago and it's fine and dandy apart from teh fact the ear cuffs are shedding bits of black plastic constantly now. There's bits of crap all over house. Seems a shame to retire them just for this but it's a pain in the tits. 

I've tried using duct tape on them to remove any loose bits but it's a never ending task. 

Mine started to do that. You can buy replacement ear cups for them quite cheaply. The pleather on the headband will eventually start to flake as well, however, and I'm not sure if you can replace that.

As for headsets, I used the Sony Golds for about three years and they served me very well. I couldn't use them with the Switch, however, not without faffing about with the USB adapter every time, anyway, so when I got a pair of Sony XM2s I connected them to the TV itself via Bluetooth for Switch gaming. Once the Golds started to flake, instead of just replacing the ear cups, I splurged on the platinum Sony headset but found it very uncomfortable - the headband is made of steel and rubber and would push painfully down into my head, so I couldn't use them for any longer than about 30 minutes. I sold them on.

Nowadays I've gone back to a wired connection as connecting via Bluetooth each time I turn on the telly is a pain. I've got my Fidelio HRX2s connected via a long 3.5mm cable, running through a digital to analog converter, and I've hidden the cable into the seam of my armchair. It's faff-free, sounds fantastic and the Fidelio's are very comfortable. Their open-back design means I can still hear if the door goes, or if my wife's calling me, or what have you.

If, like me, you don't play online, then I'd say you get a lot better audio for your money through a decent set of stereo headphones, as opposed to a headset with a microphone. I've never really believed in the whole 'Virtual 7.1' surround thing, either, that some headsets offer. It just doesn't work when the speakers are so close to your ears anyway.

• Upvote 1

I still use my Astro Mixamp with proper headphones (Philips Fidelio) and a mic lead thing, I’ve tried pretty much every wireless headset and none compare to a wired set..

Im wondering what the next gen setup will be like so happy to stick with my years old setup, I wonder if the external box will be a thing of the past but still don’t see how wireless can beat wired (I love wireless headphones and have a fair pairs just not for gaming)

I've had the hyper x cloud 2 for about 2 years now and they are so comfy.I've tried a few different headphones including the sony gold ones and a turtlebeach one a couple years back,but the cloud 2 just feels great and the mic is nice a clear(so I'm told).

I'm aware @skittles already bought  the a50 but I've never had a better headset than the cloud 2.

What made it even better is I bought them for 20 quid on gumtree :D

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Mine started to do that. You can buy replacement ear cups for them quite cheaply. The pleather on the headband will eventually start to flake as well, however, and I'm not sure if you can replace that.

Cheers mun! Ordered a set and see how I get on. Much appreciated. 

22 hours ago, idiwa said:

I bought some new ear cuffs from eBay for about six quid for this reason. They just clip on and off and are super simple To install.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153926069323

• Upvote 2

For most general gaming, Sony Platinum Headset. Well good, might be a wee bit on the heavy side.

Recently I started using my Sony XM3 (wired) on my PS4. Now that's proper good, and I sincerely hope they integrate some sort of PS5 functionality via a firmware update.

I use a Turtle Beach Stealth 400 on PS4 (with a cable for Xbox One). The adapter works with Switch and PC/Mac wireless too. Had everything you could want in a headset. Comfortable, great sound, flexible mic, good mic monitoring, independent chat and game volume dials, easy controls, dual functioning wireless/3.5mm jack. Then it finally snapped! And you can't buy them anymore. 

So I got the Turtle Beach Stealth 700, and it was ok but the mic monitoring was a bit random in what it picked up. The dual sound through 3.5mm was replaced with bluetooth which rinsed the battery, and sound occasionally crackled. Turns out it doesn't like 5ghz wireless networks, so they recommend you disable it. No thanks. So it went back.

Went with the Sony Platinum in the end as I mostly play PS4. Works well, it has a chat/game mix rather than independent volume which isn't ideal but is good enough. Mic monitoring has quite a low gate so picks up a lot which isn't translated back through to the game. The built-in mic isn't as good as a boom which is a shame but it's functional. It has a 3.5mm jack but as soon as you plug this in it disables the headset and puts it into passive mode only - which is ok but if you have sound and voices coming through (for example, using it on Xbox) then the mic can pick up the sound. Presumably when active it has some sort of noise cancellation or an active noise gate. I find it pretty comfy if slightly heavy, although the pressure on the side of my head is a bit too much after long sessions.

I tend to only bother with wireless headsets. I had the Steelseries Arctis 7 which was the most comfy headset I've used. It works via USB only (the two Turtle Beach ones have an optical connection to their USB dongle to allow separate game/chat channels) so you have to use the in-console game/chat mix if it has one (I think its only in a party in PS4). I had to plug it into a PC to get the settings menu up to adjust it to get the base to sound a bit puncher, even then at max level it seemed to be slightly too light. The extendable boom is handy, but I missed the chat/game mix dials or separate volumes.

After that, I upgraded to the Arctis Pro Wireless which is the Arctis 7 on steroids. I think from memory it has separate game/chat volume (or definitely a mixer) and it has a battery charger built into it's amp device (and easily swappable rechargeable batteries in the ear plate). The bluetooth worked well on other devices and didn't see too detrimental to battery life and the sound was good. However for some reason the band seemed ever so slightly shorter than the Arctis 7, so the ski band and metal band basically sat together on my head and it wasn't too comfy. 

I'm also not convinced on the virtual surround sound or 7.1 in these headsets. Even on my platinums I play in stereo mode and it just sounds better to me, so that pretty much made the Arctis Pro Wireless feel like overkill. I think wired headsets give a lot more options (as there are more of them to choose from) but it isn't really practical for me to have something plugged into the console while gaming due to distance/propensity to forget and rip the console out of the sockets. 

The only ones I found I liked after trying lots of stuff was the Sennheiser Game One. It was the only one I found I could wear for long periods without my ears getting too hot or hurting. I combine that with that Sound BlasterX G1 7.1 USB headphone amp (not really needed, but it boosts the loudness)  It works really well. I tried the Sony PS headset, but found it too heavy and tight on my head. 

It is damn hard to find good headphones what work with your own particular tastes though. Everyone has different tastes in sound and what fits the best. 

Lucidsound LS35X for Xbox. Direct connect wireless and very comfy.  

They don't come with masses of different settings and equalisers and all that bullshit as invariably I always end up fussing about with them and spending more time doing that than playing games (and always end up on default settings). Out of the box they sound great are more than loud enough and they connect just like the controller. 

Confirmed by Lucidsound to work with Series X. 

On 07/06/2020 at 01:07, skittles said:

some of my gaming friends told me that 90pc of pro CS players use these HyperX Cloud 2s which are 1/4 the price of the astro.

I've got these, they're great.  No I don't, I've got the Cloud Flights. Comfortable, great directional sound, 30-odd hours of battery from a charge (as long as you remember to tap the power button twice to turn off the pointless LEDs on each clam). They will also work while wired up and charging. Good range on the wireless. They bleed sound quite a bit so if not irritating someone you live with is a priority they might not be the best choice.

I use the Sennheiser Momentums I bought to listen to music, etc. with a third party cable with an inbuilt mic. 

Anyone with a good pair of wireless headphones that can be used wired should just get a cable with a mic built in. The ones designated for Android phones is the one that worked for me, connected direct to the pad. 

I have a turtle beach control stuck on the bottom of the pad  which lets me change volume and chat/game balance and mute the mic.

If you've got the headphones already, it's  cheaper, works perfectly and I'd imagine sounds better than a gaming headset.  Less landfill too. 

• Upvote 1

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser GSP 600's (a bit gamey tbh) paired with their GSX 1000 DAC/amp for my PC which are great and I love the sound.

For console I had to go with Steel Series Arctis Pro and DAC (as no Sennheiser equivalent for console) which if I'm brutally honest have been more than a bit of a disappointment. Sound is ok but not a patch on the Sennheiser's and for the same amount of money the build quality and customer service is a different league. 

I'm thinking of selling  them all on and investing in an Arc Mk2 DAC paired with some of the beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro's but that is getting in to crazy town territory. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Len the Arctis Pro set that you mention there, are they the wireless ones, same as these? Did you manage to sell them?

I've just been reading about how amazing they are and watched a few reviews, so I'm surprised you didn't like them.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

@Len the Arctis Pro set that you mention there, are they the wireless ones, same as these? Did you manage to sell them?

I've just been reading about how amazing they are and watched a few reviews, so I'm surprised you didn't like them.

I had the wired ones as you get the hires audio as well with the DAC. So not wireless. 

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-gamedac

The sound is good don't get me wrong but just not a patch on my Sennheisers and DAC imo. And the build quality just not the same. 

I have the Arc Mk. 2 DAC now which is just beautiful. And am waiting for the DT 1990 Pros to turn up in the post. 

P. S. Still not sold them as been playing on PC exclusively and not got round to it. 

• Upvote 1