rllmuk

Gaming headsets and next gen considerations

4 minutes ago, Len said:

Im sure you'll like them tbh, they are definitely a step up in sound quality from your normal stuff. :)

Can you comment on the virtual surround sound compared with 2.0? Does it actually make a difference, or is it not all that? I've made a thread in ATF, but at the moment I'm using a wired setup for console and PC gaming with a pair of Fidelio X2s, which are absolutely fine, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing our by not having the surround sound experience. I made a post up-thread about how I thought virtual 7.1 was a load of old phooey, but I've read so much positive stuff about the Arctic Pros that it's made me question it.

I rarely use voice chat, in fact I rarely play online, so 99% of my concern when choosing a "headset" is sound quality and virtual surround.

The Xbox is great for this, as the sound quality through the controller jack is superb and you can select virtual surround from the dashboard for any pair of stereo headphones. The built-in Windows Sonic is pretty good but I splashed out on Dolby Atmos for Headphones and it's even better. (The upcoming DTS:X is supposed to be a step up again). So I've dug out a really nice, comfortable pair of open-backed Sennheiser 580s that I've had for nearly 20 years, stuck on Atmos for Headphones and the sound quality is just fantastic. I genuinely think this built-in surround is one of the Xbox One's best features, and it's one that's often overlooked.

(On the occasions that I do need to use voice chat on the Xbox, I've got a pair of AKG headphones with a built-in mic, they work fine though the sound quality is a bit boxy compared to the Senns).

The PS4 is much more limited as the sound quality through the controller is piss-poor and all their virtual surround solutions are proprietary. I've got the Platinum headset and I like the fact it's wireless and has a built-in mic but honestly as headphones they're not great. The bass is weak and flabby, the virtual surround isn't as good as either of the Xbox's solutions and only a handful of games bother with bespoke profiles any more. Also they're not that comfortable and as a glasses wearer I find they quickly start to press in on the arms of my specs in a most uncomfortable way. I mean it's OK, and it does the job, but it's definitely one of the reasons why I'm gaming more and more on the Xbox these days (that and the fact that my PS4 sounds like it's trying to achieve orbit whenever I play anything mildly strenuous; but that's another story). I'm hoping that all the noises Sony is making about sound quality next-gen translates to an open and flexible solution like the Xbox One, and isn't just an excuse to flog more expensive but sub-standard proprietary hardware.

@Garwoofoo thanks for that. I saw Dolby Atmos recommended in another thread, so I might get it for PC (don't own an XB1).

What I want to know, however, is does it work for all games or only some of them? This website, for example, suggests only these games support it, many of which I've already played and some I'm not bothered about:

Overwatch

Battlefield 1 (PC)

Star Wars: Battlefront

Gears of War 4 (Xbox One X)

Gears 5

Crackdown 3  (Xbox One/Xbox One X)

Star Wars: Battlefront II 

Assassin’s Creed Origins (Xbox One X)

Final Fantasy XV (Xbox One X)

Rise Of The Tomb Raider (Xbox One X)

Super Lucky’s Tale (Xbox One X)

Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC)

For Honor

Forza Horizon 4

Metro Exodus

Resident Evil 2

The Division 2

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

If I buy it, will I only experience virtual surround sound while playing these games, or does the software convert any 2.0 signal into virtual 5 or 7.1?

21 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What I want to know, however, is does it work for all games or only some of them?

It works for everything. The games in the list above support Dolby Atmos, which means you'll get proper spatial sound and you'll see the technology at its best. But it'll convert any regular signal into virtual surround too (and does a damn good job of it).

Not quite sure how it works on PC but you'll probably need to get 5.1 or 7.1 to it somehow, it won't magically create surround out of straight stereo. It needs to have that info first to convert it to headphone format, if you see what I mean.

I'd suggest you play around with the built-in Windows Sonic (which sounds pretty good in its own right) because they work in exactly the same way. Then if you like the way that works, try the week's free trial of Dolby Atmos and see if you prefer the different sound presentation that gives you. DTS:X is also available for PC by the way and that's apparently the best of the lot, so let us know how you get on.

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

It works for everything. The games in the list above support Dolby Atmos, which means you'll get proper spatial sound and you'll see the technology at its best. But it'll convert any regular signal into virtual surround too (and does a damn good job of it).

Not quite sure how it works on PC but you'll probably need to get 5.1 or 7.1 to it somehow, it won't magically create surround out of straight stereo. It needs to have that info first to convert it to headphone format, if you see what I mean.

I'd suggest you play around with the built-in Windows Sonic (which sounds pretty good in its own right) because they work in exactly the same way. Then if you like the way that works, try the week's free trial of Dolby Atmos and see if you prefer the different sound presentation that gives you. DTS:X is also available for PC by the way and that's apparently the best of the lot, so let us know how you get on.

I see, cheers. I'll have a look. Shame that that the PS4 support isn't that great. Would be good for TLOU2. I also had the Platinum Sony headset but ended up selling it on after I found it uncomfortable.

On 29/06/2020 at 19:19, Jamie John said:

Can you comment on the virtual surround sound compared with 2.0? Does it actually make a difference, or is it not all that? I've made a thread in ATF, but at the moment I'm using a wired setup for console and PC gaming with a pair of Fidelio X2s, which are absolutely fine, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing our by not having the surround sound experience. I made a post up-thread about how I thought virtual 7.1 was a load of old phooey, but I've read so much positive stuff about the Arctic Pros that it's made me question it.

Sorry for delay in replying, was having a baby! 

I was exactky the same as you regards the ss but it does actually work. You can definitely notice a large difference in the sound field and enhances the experience hugely. Particularly with gaming. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Len said:

Sorry for delay in replying, was having a baby! 

I was exactky the same as you regards the ss but it does actually work. You can definitely notice a large difference in the sound field and enhances the experience hugely. Particularly with gaming. 

Cheers for that. And congratulations! :hat:

• Upvote 2
On 30/06/2020 at 09:08, Jamie John said:

Cool. I'm thinking about possibly, maybe, perhaps getting the wireless Pros, even though I definitely don't need them.

How much did you pay for yours @Phelan, if you don't mind me asking?

I think it was AU$500 initially but they had 25% off so it was AU$375

• Upvote 1