rllmuk
dumpster

Multiplayer games that no-one plays anymore

Having a lot of fun with EDF Insect Armageddon, a game which I found disappointing at launch. Having only really played online on PS4 , I recently got into game pass on the Xbox and I've been looking into some of the backward compatible titles and playing them online for the first time. Insect Armageddon is obviously designed around the multiplier mechanism and it's been really good fun and I'm surprised that there's still a good number of people still playing it, although that may be because it became backwards compatible fairly recently.

However there's a whole bunch of games out there the offer brilliant multiplayer action even today, but the games are sold but it's difficult to get a game together. For example I still consider Daytona to be one of the greatest racing games of all time but sitting in the lobbies would suggest that I'm the only person in the world that wants to play it. But recently the game came down to under £2 and a chance comment in the bargains folder lead to a game online that was pretty good fun. So you can use this thread to either about the games would love to play again or to coax other forumites into getting some multiplayer action arranged. What game would you love to play online if you could find anyone else that was interested?

• Upvote 1

Warhawk. What a game that was. I don’t know if it’s even possible to play it anymore - it did allow for player hosted lobbies but I’m sure there was some level of official oversight required that was probably shut off years ago.

• Upvote 5

I get a weird thrill out of going into online lobbies only for them to be empty.  I’m playing through a bunch of 360 games lately,  Prey, which isn’t a bad game had a lonely old lobby. 

It’s like being in an abandoned train station, puts me in mind of an old thread...

• Upvote 3

Ah miss Project Gotham Racing 4 sessions on the 360. Not even sure if anything is online for this anymore expect the servers got shuttered a long while back :(

I miss Resistance when that was online. I loved that FPS series and especially liked the multiplayer on the first game as I used to rinse a particular map called bus yard a lot as I learned to get good at it. Eventually the servers got shut down. 

There arent many games I’ve played in multiplayer really and I haven’t even bothered with PS+ for a couple of years now so I can’t play it anyway. Alienation was really cool as a drop in drop out co-op thing. Especially enjoyed playing through the game on single death mode which I managed to get through. It was crazy being with somebody for multiple levels then they suddenly die and are gone for good.

• Upvote 1

I bought my first Xbox One, so excitedly downloaded Halo 5 (Game Pass sub) as the very first order of business.

Me and my mates played Halo 2 together obsessively. By the time Halo 3 came around, we were all setting up homes and some of them having kids, so got less time on it. They'd all got 'bones so had played some Halo 5 as a team, and were happy enough to join up with me for a game on Saturday night.

Well, could we get a game? Could we fairy cakes. It was totally deserted. We had to just play some campaign in the end. I'm hoping this was a one-off but, seeing as there's no thread for it in the Online folder, seems like it's got very little love?

Any chance of a revival? Would love a game with @TommyG so he can completely carry me teach me by example :)

Sonic All-Star Racing on the 360 only had me and one other person in the lobby when I played it last week. 

23 minutes ago, Treble said:

I bought my first Xbox One, so excitedly downloaded Halo 5 (Game Pass sub) as the very first order of business.

Me and my mates played Halo 2 together obsessively. By the time Halo 3 came around, we were all setting up homes and some of them having kids, so got less time on it. They'd all got 'bones so had played some Halo 5 as a team, and were happy enough to join up with me for a game on Saturday night.

Well, could we get a game? Could we fairy cakes. It was totally deserted. We had to just play some campaign in the end. I'm hoping this was a one-off but, seeing as there's no thread for it in the Online folder, seems like it's got very little love?

Any chance of a revival? Would love a game with @TommyG so he can completely carry me teach me by example :)

You can probably get a game much easier on the Halo Master Chief collection - also on GamePass.

• Upvote 1

Not sure about online MP - but the chances of reliving the Halo 2 glory days in my mates flat with two huge CRT's, 2 Xbox's, 8 pads and 8 mates is long gone. :blah::(

I just started playing in a lockdown Everquest group with the same people I haven't spoken to or played with in 20 years. It was fantastic.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Yes! Always down for some Halo 5 or MCC for that matter. You can get games easily on both games at the moment it seems. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Well, could we get a game? Could we fairy cakes. It was totally deserted.

What playlist were you on? @Kryptonian and I generally play at least once a week in the evenings and playing Team Slayer in the Ranked playlists we are always pretty much straight into a game and that continues all evening. (That is with matchmaking options set to balanced, so not even that wide a net)

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

What playlist were you on? @Kryptonian and I generally play at least once a week in the evenings and playing Team Slayer in the Ranked playlists we are always pretty much straight into a game and that continues all evening. (That is with matchmaking options set to balanced, so not even that wide a net)

Maybe we were just a bit unlucky then? Add me up (Treble Delta) and I'll join in :)

3 hours ago, Treble said:

Maybe we were just a bit unlucky then? Add me up (Treble Delta) and I'll join in :)

Added you :)

• Upvote 1

If you guys are playing Halo i'd love to get involved. BitterToad is my gamertag. 

• Upvote 1

I used to play Age of Booty  on 360 (fast paced real time hex based , up to 8 player boat resources strategy ) when it was on its last legs. I believe it was made by some of the ex halo 1 multiplayer devs too? There was a little community about 5 years ago which would play most weekends. I'd say about 20 semi regulars  who would play competitively . Everyone knew what to do and how to out think every move and every upgrade and counter upgrade. I don't think the game got rated that well, due to having very little single player content. But with a map editor, there was endless new content from the community. I doubt anyone's on it now but that was a great time. Wish I played it when it came out rather than the last couple of years of its life. Would love a sequel ( that isnt mobile and also not the same) or if anyone knows of something similar. Not sure if I woud dig my 360 out and buy gold membership even for that though right now. If this was on switch I'd be playing every day

• Upvote 2

All those games during that period where publishers thought shoving in a half-arsed MP mode would stop people trading it in straight after the credits rolled. I mean Batman: Arkham Origins had an MP mode. Remember that. No me neither. Apparently I played at least one match though.

• Upvote 1

Even worse if they tie some of the achievements to that multiplayer mode. So long Platinum / 1000 points.

I've been replaying Splinter Cell Blacklist which has a whole bunch of side missions I've never played because they require co-op (although, to be fair, co-op Splinter Cell would be a recipe for disaster with randoms). It also puts a large emphasis on Spies vs Mercs which is, unsurprisingly, also barren. Shame.

9 hours ago, christaylor said:

Bloody hell there's a game I've not thought about for 20 years! 

That was my first experience of online multiplayer and it was jaw dropping stuff at the time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Titanfall 2. Brilliant, but utterly deserted. 

Titanfall 1. The main issue is it separates you by region so whilst America has a handful of people playing the European servers don’t have anyone meaning you can’t really play a game. If there is anyone playing it’s always attrition and never any other modes. What a shame as it was always great fun right up until TF2 released.

Splinter Cell's online modes are what I was coming in to post. 

Firstly, because reading about "tacked on" multiplayer made me think that SC was one of the first series that did it way back in 2003 with Pandora Tomorrow, when online gaming and LIVE had started to be a thing on consoles (remember when it was printed on the box with a big, clear banner if it had Xbox LIVE elements, oh what a world it was then). 

There was a bit of a fuss about it having a tacked on multiplayer when it was announced, with people bemused at how a solo stealth game could work online. Fortunately the mode was absolutely brilliant - assymetrically balanced for tense games, requiring teamwork, tactics and skill. The problem was, skill and map knowledge required a lot of the player, so it wasn't the most accessible of games. It was hardly a game you would solo queue in or fire off a few games to unwind. 

Over time, the community got split, as it did with Xbox Live in general eventually - gone where the times when the playerbase moved from release to release, from PGR 2, to Rainbow Six: Black Arrow, to Burnout 3. Online communities got a bit more compartmentalised.

Though SC only required four players, you'd still often be waiting in a lobby for other players, with a momentary flicker of hope when someone joined or despair when you had three and someone left because they couldn't wait.  

NFS Hot Pursuit was one of the few online games over the years to hold my attention. 4 racers vs 4 cops with custom soundtracks, a proper assault on the senses. 

Theres a really cool horror game called No Players Online which pretends to be an old multiplayer FPS that nobody plays any more

• Upvote 2