rllmuk
simms

PC VR - Hardware & Software discussion

I'd thought I setup a dedicated thread for all PC VR headsets so all things PC VR can be discussed in one place.  I know there are a couple threads dedicated to Oculus headsets but there are currently these headsets for PC:

HTC Vive - discontinued

HTC Vive Pro - discontinued

HTC Cosmos

Oculus Rift CV1 - discontinued

Oculus Rift S

Oculus Quest - With link cable

Valve Index

Windows Mixed Reality headsets

HP Reverb G2 - Not yet released

By the way Paper beast has be announced:

• Upvote 6

Digital Foundry did an article recently on the best setup for Half-Life Alyx. They conclude, unsurprisingly, that the full Index experience is the best, but if you haven't got a spare £1000, then an Oculus setup is still impressive.

PC VR is something that I've vaguely been thinking about for a while now, but my gaming room is small and cramped as it is, so I don't know if it's worth it if I can only use it while sitting. I'm still a bit dubious about VR in general, however, both in terms of the quality of the games and the comfort of the experience for anything longer than an hour. I would really like to play Alyx, though. Judging by the frequency that Quests appear in the Trading folder, it seems that lots of people sell them on after the novelty has worn off.

Good idea!

VR is great although still in its infancy. It's changed driving games forever for me though having the ability to look into corners naturally is fantastic as it looking over to see who is on the inside of you when racing etc. 

As for room it works really well sitting down for most games I have around 1m squared of space and not had an issue so far!

Think VRs time will come but it just needs to get less intrusive in terms of headset size etc. Give it 5 years or so. Quest is showing the way.... although my fear is there will be too many ecosystems so content will be spread all over the place. At least Valve with SteamVR seem to be trying to standardise things a little bit..

Loving my Oculus Rift S though and happy to be buying into VR right now. Great price and for me it feels like the next gen of gaming is already here!

• Upvote 1

I think the Quest is the future of this kind of thing. No tracking stations to set up, completely wireless, yet able to work increasingly well as a wired headset as well for games that need the grunt of a full PC. And with the various wireless streaming solutions even the wire bit isn’t necessarily going to be needed. Future versions of this (Oculus or other) where the headset is more comfortable and the screens better quality will be incredible, but it’s already not bad at all. As I say, the software for Link is improving all the time, hand tracking and other functionality as well, some of the earlier sales in Trading might have been premature in that sense. 

fwiw my pc room is also small and cramped, so if I need roomscale I use the wireless stuff in other rooms or even the back garden. For racing/flying/spacing I can sit at the PC just fine. 

• Upvote 1

Yes I agree, full fat PC Vr games need a good wireless solution with preferably a lighter weight headset. 

I know the index is the best overal setup, but its price and faff are hugely prohibitive. Inside-out tracking is key to making the VR experience simple. Having to put sensors around your room (which the index requires) is too much of a hindrance.

I love my Oculus Rift S, and I'm in the same camp as @MattyP when it comes to driving games now, I have to play them in VR. Elite Dangerous is another game that is just sensational in VR.

• Upvote 1

Good thread. After 15 years away in the console badlands, I'm back in the world of PC gaming, primarily for VR. I love PSVR but need to be able to play Project Cars 2,  Assetto Corsa etc. in proper VR.

So after sensibly spending a chunk of my redundancy money on a gaming PC (Ryzen 7 3700X / 16Gb / RX 5700 XT) and Occulus Quest, here I am.

After a couple of weeks playing, and loving, Project Cars 2 I noticed the other day that it seemed... a bit shit. Maybe the honeymoon was over and I had in fact spent a lot of money on something that wasn't all that good? Nah.. it WAS brilliant...I'm sure of it. But now, the trackside objects in PCars2 were really blurry and it all felt a bit like the CPU or something was really struggling. If l looked sideways whilst driving I could see three instances of each track side object all slightly overlayed and jerky as hell. Bugger.

Anyway, long story short, after many hours of head scratching and tweaking every setting under the sun, I've fixed it and thought I'd share.

The Radeon adrenaline software recently updated to 20.5.1 and whilst looking at the AMD site for hints in the release notes I noticed it was labeled as (optional). The previous version 20.4.2 was (recommended).

A quick re-install of the old version and bingo.. all is right with the world. PCars2 is once again super clear and smooth and I can happily read the writing on opponents brake callipers as they overtake me whilst I grin like a loon.

• Upvote 2

So what has everyone been playing in VR the most? For me:

Polybius - Jeff Minter's work has finally found a tech that supports his vision great abstract shooter!

Rez Infinite - Rez again as it was probably envisioned when it was created. 

Project CARS and Asetto Corsa. Actually pretty much any driving game that has been designed for VR! Dirt is great too. Just love looking around the dash etc while whizzing around a track. Of course add a wheel too.... Wow. :)

Strangely enough love flying around in Google Maps. Brings a whole new element to it. Staggeringly good and really get a sense of being there. Love the way you hold up the controller to look more closely at things just feels so natural. 

Just waiting to upgrade my GPU so I can play Half Life Alyx. Want to have a good experience with it and I don't think my GTX 970 is upto the job of delivering an experience it deserves.

41 minutes ago, milko said:

I think the Quest is the future of this kind of thing. No tracking stations to set up, completely wireless, yet able to work increasingly well as a wired headset as well for games that need the grunt of a full PC. And with the various wireless streaming solutions even the wire bit isn’t necessarily going to be needed. Future versions of this (Oculus or other) where the headset is more comfortable and the screens better quality will be incredible, but it’s already not bad at all. As I say, the software for Link is improving all the time, hand tracking and other functionality as well, some of the earlier sales in Trading might have been premature in that sense. 

fwiw my pc room is also small and cramped, so if I need roomscale I use the wireless stuff in other rooms or even the back garden. For racing/flying/spacing I can sit at the PC just fine. 

The Quest works pretty much flawlessly wirelessly with the PC. No wire is an important step toward the tech becoming ubiquitous, but comfort and weight (and screen resolution) will have to be vastly increased. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What is the best Occulus you can get if you plan to use it mostly for PC games?

Think either although Quest would give you more freedom. I got an S largely because I couldn't get a Quest anywhere back in January. Not regretted it although will pick up standalone Quest when the next version gets released....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What is the best Occulus you can get if you plan to use it mostly for PC games?

I'd always recommend the Quest. It's a best of both worlds thing. Wireless full fat PC titles and fantastic pick up and play standalone stuff. It has quite a few issues with comfort and I'm not keen on the lenses, but it's a good buy that covers all bases. You might think you just want VR for PC titles, but just having the option to grab a heaset and smash out a couple of rounds of Pistol Whip or Beat Saber doesn't really get old. 

• Upvote 2

The games I mostly play on PC VR are:

Project Cars 2

Elite Dangerous

Skyrim (mesmerising in VR!)

Half-life Alyx (superb)

I have Dirt Rally 2 but haven't given it a proper run.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Think either although Quest would give you more freedom. I got an S largely because I couldn't get a Quest anywhere back in January. Not regretted it although will pick up standalone Quest when the next version gets released....

26 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I'd always recommend the Quest. It's a best of both worlds thing. Wireless full fat PC titles and fantastic pick up and play standalone stuff. It has quite a few issues with comfort and I'm not keen on the lenses, but it's a good buy that covers all bases. You might think you just want VR for PC titles, but just having the option to grab a heaset and smash out a couple of rounds of Pistol Whip or Beat Saber doesn't really get old. 

Cheers both. Comfort is definitely an issue with me as I have a big fat head and often find headphones uncomfortable after a while, so a big VR headset would probably be worse, but there's not a lot that can be done about that, I suppose.

My other issue is being able to hear things outside of the VR, like if my wife's calling me, for example, or if the door goes. Does the Quest come with 'open' headphones that let you hear what's going on outside the game, or fan you just pair it with your own headphones?

29 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

The Quest works pretty much flawlessly wirelessly with the PC. No wire is an important step toward the tech becoming ubiquitous, but comfort and weight (and screen resolution) will have to be vastly increased. 

Pretty much, but it's mildly frustrating at the times it doesn't for seemingly random reasons, and I gather (but can't test as my system is relatively fancy) you don't get great results with iffy wifi routers. Mind you, until the last couple of updates I had some issues with wired at times too. Anyway, both seem to get rapidly better over the past couple of months alone.

Screen and comfort seems to me like something that will inevitably improve over time, I'm looking forward to it.

Just now, Jamie John said:

My other issue is being able to hear things outside of the VR, like if my wife's calling me, for example, or if the door goes. Does the Quest come with 'open' headphones that let you hear what's going on outside the game, or fan you just pair it with your own headphones?

You can use your own headphones but by default it just plays sound quietly from next to your ear - not amazing for audio quality but ideal for being able to hear what's going on around you.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers both. Comfort is definitely an issue with me as I have a big fat head and often find headphones uncomfortable after a while, so a big VR headset would probably be worse, but there's not a long that can be done about that, I suppose.

Any size of head will find the Quest uncomfortable. It's badly balanced and terrible to wear compared to the Index or PSVR. There are fixes you can do to make it better and it does get better over time, but it's pretty shite out of the box.

I must be unique with my wireless experience with the Quest. I have a BT router (the latest one) and the PC is wired in and via the sideloaded virtual desktop I haven't had a single issue. Occulus link by comparison has always been buggy and substandard. 

Well, there's games that simply aren't compatible with it for one thing. But yes, with a decent router and a wired PC connection to it you stand a great chance of it working very well indeed in nearly all cases. Since they went to v17 on the Oculus software I've had no issues with wired, before then I had intermittent ones where some nights it would just decide the USB port wasn't good enough anymore and so on.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

I know the index is the best overal setup, but its price and faff are hugely prohibitive. Inside-out tracking is key to making the VR experience simple. Having to put sensors around your room (which the index requires) is too much of a hindrance.

I love my Oculus Rift S, and I'm in the same camp as @MattyP when it comes to driving games now, I have to play them in VR. Elite Dangerous is another game that is just sensational in VR.

To to be fair the sensors are a one time setup but yes if someone wants zero faff then a inside out tracking solution is ideal.

10 hours ago, MattyP said:

So what has everyone been playing in VR the most? For me:

Polybius - Jeff Minter's work has finally found a tech that supports his vision great abstract shooter!

Rez Infinite - Rez again as it was probably envisioned when it was created. 

Project CARS and Asetto Corsa. Actually pretty much any driving game that has been designed for VR! Dirt is great too. Just love looking around the dash etc while whizzing around a track. Of course add a wheel too.... Wow. :)

Strangely enough love flying around in Google Maps. Brings a whole new element to it. Staggeringly good and really get a sense of being there. Love the way you hold up the controller to look more closely at things just feels so natural. 

Just waiting to upgrade my GPU so I can play Half Life Alyx. Want to have a good experience with it and I don't think my GTX 970 is upto the job of delivering an experience it deserves.

Im playing very slowly through Half life Alyx.  I must admit my vr wire is getting on my nerves.  I have the htc Vive and wireless adapter but Alyx is noticeably less smooth wireless so went back to wired.  I've got a new pc on order this week (i7 10700k and rtx2070 super) so will wait to see if the wireless adapter is smoother on that machine.  

I want to play a decent vr racer. I have played project cars 1 but couldn't get into it.  I have pcars2, Asetto Corsa and Dirt Rally 1&2 yet to try.

10 hours ago, cavalcade said:

I was going to get a Quest for this reason but because it's a hack (not all games compatible) and mileage may vary depending on your setup I've held off until Oculus officially support wireless with the PC or another manufacturer releases a solution.

• Upvote 1

I watched this the other day. Might be of interest. Those Index controllers do look bloody nice. Can you pair them with the Occulus?

6 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I watched this the other day. Might be of interest. Those Index controllers do look bloody nice. Can you pair them with the Occulus?

No, the Index controllers do not work with Oculus headsets.  As far as know they work only with headsets that use the base stations (lighthouse sensors). 

The index controllers are lovely and feel very natural in Half life Alyx.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone had squiffy eyes like the guy in this BBC article? It seems like the optician is jumping to conclusions a bit hastily.

He said "these glasses we usually prescribe to 40-year-olds"

OMG, 40 year olds! They're so old I'm suprised they can see at all.

My eyes feel a bit weird when going from 3DS to my phone, not that I ever put in particalrly long sessions in on it. It feels like they try to find depth in it for a few seconds.

Oculus Rift (original, non S) owner here.  I've had mine for going on 2 years and I love it. It's spoiled 2D gaming for me in many ways

My most played VR games are:

Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2

Beat Saber

HL: Alyx

Electronauts

Asgards Wrath

Pistol Whip

Pavlov/Contractors/Onward

Honourable mentions go out to Arctica .1,  and Lone Echo - both older Rift titles, that are full games and really excellent!

I've recently taken to joining our work MS Teams and Zoom meetings from within VR.  My colleagues seeing my avatar on screen got quite weirded out :-)  (  https://www.spaces.com/ )

• Upvote 1

I'm a very happy Quest owner. I was disappointed when it was announced to see that it had stuck with the CV1 strap rather than the Rift S' more modern solution, but it's not so bad after buying an extra cheap strap. It would be better still with a counterweight.

I have a Link cable and have wireless streaming all set up and working, but to be honest I'm still more than happy with the Quest's own library. I've played through Red Matter and Vader Immortal, and I'm loving Beat Saber and Pistol Whip. I've got my eyes on The Room VR, Moss and Tetris Effect.

The Quest is actually my third headset, after the Rift DK2 and CV1, and the inside-out tracking combined with being completely untethered makes a massive difference. It definitely outweighs the comfort factor for me.

I have a quest and a rift S. I bought a Cosmos a few months ago when the rift S was unavailable but sent it back after a week. Despite a few updates the Inside Out tracking was very poor, especially compared to the Oculus stuff. The retailer took it back no problem. Vive's answer was to upgrade to the vive pro faceplate and lighthouses for another £600 on top of the £600 for the headset, no thanks.

Despite the higher resolution on the cosmos, the overall experience is much better on the Rift S, in large part due to the bigger sweet spot on the Rift S.

As for Oculus link, it does work well but i personally still prefer the using the dedicated headset if i want to play pc based VR games. 

• Upvote 1

When trying to decide whether to do more VR stuff in my work earlier this year, I tried to get into it as someone who had paid no attention whatsoever for years. It is fucking baffling, trying to keep track of the different types of headset, which stores you can buy games for, which controllers you need, what the difference between the headsets and controllers is, which headsets need sensors, which ones come with all the bits they need. 

At the moment, it’s not just the high price, space requirements and isolation that are problems for mainstream uptake, it’s also how confusing the array of hardware and software and their pricing are. The VR place in town charge similar amounts for their custom rig which you use in real space and their Vive setup, which was rubbish in comparison and involved way too much getting tangled in wires and turning too far so the headset got confused. It feels like a bunch of tech demos that I’m expected to pay several thousand pounds to access and it doesn’t seem at all reasonable from the perspective of someone who isn’t invested and has a family.

The Quest is the closest I think we have as an answer to that issue. 

It's a VR device that you can simply take out of the box, set up a play area anywhere, and be in a VR game in seconds. No sensors, no other equipment. It has the downside that ultimately the tech is a mobile phone processor and the games you're going to get are never going to match the fidelity of PC titles, but the convenience massively outweighs that. And even on top tier PC VR gear the difference is not startling enough with this gen of tech to make a difference. For example, Pavlov natively on the Quest compared to PC is a significant visual downgrade, but I'm not sure it matters all that much in VR. The core game plays similarly and VR tends to smooth the edges somewhat if the experience is engaging enough. For sure, stuff like Asgard's Wrath does look significantly better and isn't available natively, but even though the Quest has a fallback I still think even if it didn't it would be a choice I'd recommend to anyone as a good casual intro to VR. There's enough in it without Alyx et al. 

I'd say the future is some sort of Quest variant, but maybe with a mix of VR and AR and extremely light (a set of glasses beaming stuff onto your retina). 

1 hour ago, sbrandon111 said:

As for Oculus link, it does work well but i personally still prefer the using the dedicated headset if i want to play pc based VR games. 

I could see that and sometimes wonder if I should've gone for it, as it seems so far the majority of games I'm getting into are seated, but... £400 on top of a £400 headset doesn't seem that much better than your £600 objection to the Vive Cosmos problem :)

10 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I'd say the future is some sort of Quest variant, but maybe with a mix of VR and AR and extremely light (a set of glasses beaming stuff onto your retina). 

Definitely. Although the Quest is weaker because it has a mobile phone chipset it is a standard target platform and as such the games and experiences can be refined and optimised for that platform.

Happy with my S however probably would have gone with a Quest if I could have found one. Saying that I do like using the headset on the PC so it would have largely been used on that anyhow and I wanted to experiment with Unity and coding stuff up for VR so made more sense to me so got a chance to get one end of January and snapped it up. Glad I did as both versions of Oculus are hard to find since all you know what happened over the last months...