PC VR - Hardware & Software discussion

1 minute ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Waiting on a compatible Link cable for the Quest I picked up cheap so that I can give Pcvr a decent look. Got plenty on PS4 to play through but looking to move towards mostly PC gaming. 

Software updates have made it so you can use Oculus Link over a USB2 cable. Namely, the charge cable that came with it.

Give it a go!

On 05/10/2020 at 14:30, Siri said:

Software updates have made it so you can use Oculus Link over a USB2 cable. Namely, the charge cable that came with it.

Give it a go!

This didn't work for me but then read that I needed to enable the beta test of the software and then it did. Runs really well on my newly upgraded system :) The cable I've ordered is longer so will still be useful. Spent ages just downloading stuff from Steam to try out :) Will probably buy exercise stuff from Oculus to go wireless but the rest will work happily across Link. 

15 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Have the issues been sorted for Star Wars: Squadron and VR? I have an original vive and a 2070 super. Will that be fine?

The issues? 

It's working fine for me wirelessly over Virtual Desktop and Quest with a lesser video card, I would've thought you'd be ok. 

18 minutes ago, milko said:

The issues? 

It's working fine for me wirelessly over Virtual Desktop and Quest with a lesser video card, I would've thought you'd be ok. 

Some, such as myself, are having serious problems with judder and stutter on everything outside of the cockpit.

population one is relasing on october 22nd.  Now that the NDA is now down, i have been part of the closed beta testing of this for over a year, and its just brilliant played first on CV1 and then quest.  Im really hoping that this takes off as its a fatastic battle royale and a lot of fun.  Being able to climb anything is great and opens up the map.  In one session they had giant wind turbines that where spinning - i climbed to the top jumped and grabbed onto a blades and then held on as it span round and round using it to cover me as i took some unsuspecting peeps below :) ( strong vr legs needed for such a manouvre) 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Some, such as myself, are having serious problems with judder and stutter on everything outside of the cockpit.

Ah, shit. That's in a Rift S, right? I wonder if it's helmet-specific. I also wonder if with my more baseline gfx card if I'm just already at a lowish frame-rate but I didn't notice any judder. I'll try and play some more to make sure.

Got my Reverb G2 Pre-order in and should be joining the VR fold early november time!!!  :omg:

Now, will Nvidia and AMD pull their fingers out on production in time for me to upgrade a 1070 GTX and an aging Core i5!??

2 hours ago, milko said:

Ah, shit. That's in a Rift S, right? I wonder if it's helmet-specific. I also wonder if with my more baseline gfx card if I'm just already at a lowish frame-rate but I didn't notice any judder. I'll try and play some more to make sure.

I think some have played on Rift S with little to no issue. EA even recommended Rift S over other PC HMDs. It's a strange one for sure.

10 hours ago, milko said:

I have similar issues using a Quest link. Last night it even started screwing up the cockpit where it couldn’t keep up with my head movements. 

I can run it in full detail at 60fps in 1440p in 2D mode but can’t manage the lowest settings in VR. 

I’m using SteamVR which may be a factor. 

8 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I have similar issues using a Quest link. Last night it even started screwing up the cockpit where it couldn’t keep up with my head movements. 

I can run it in full detail at 60fps in 1440p in 2D mode but can’t manage the lowest settings in VR. 

I had real issues with my S and Steam VR. Turned out to be mostly a lack of VRAM on my GPU (GTX 970). Steam seems to play much better with the Oculus software since I went upto a 980ti with 6GB of VRAM.

Also another thing I did is stop the Oculus home software auto running when you put the headset. That used to totally stuff things up.

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

Have you tried via Wi-Fi streaming I’ve found  Performance a lot better when not having to use the oculus runtime in the background and Wi-Fi streaming was a lot better performance wise  

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

I had real issues with my S and Steam VR. Turned out to be mostly a lack of VRAM on my GPU (GTX 970). Steam seems to play much better with the Oculus software since I went upto a 980ti with 6GB of VRAM.

Also another thing I did is stop the Oculus home software auto running when you put the headset. That used to totally stuff things up.

Interesting. I've got an 8Gb 5700XT which should be enough. It definitely feels like a software inefficiency rather than a hardware limitation. (Based on no science whatsoever)

31 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

Have you tried via Wi-Fi streaming I’ve found  Performance a lot better when not having to use the oculus runtime in the background and Wi-Fi streaming was a lot better performance wise  

First time I've heard of wi-fi having better performance than wired, but I'll give it a go. Only other option is to try a refund and get the Origin version.

It's definitely going to be a software rather than hardware issue. Every second mission all v-sync gets disabled and framerate is unlocked, which causes another bug of 30fps animations and judder because it's not locked at 60hz. At the moment this is only fixable by forcing a max framerate of 61fps and v-sync in Nvidia cpanel while running the game in full screen mode. One thing to try for VR might be to set the max framerate to the headset's refresh rate (hz). I don't have one on PC myself but until they patch it it's going to be buggered for a lot of people I suspect.

36 minutes ago, milko said:

It’s the Origin version I have, if we are trying to collect data. My 980 gfx card does not have oodles of RAM, but more than a 970. 

Indeed had a lot of issues with my 970. It effectively only has 3.5GB of VRAM (because of the infamous Nvidia design decisions regarding the last 512mb of VRAM access speed).

Seems like 6GB is the sweet spot for VR or at least 4GB of full speed VRAM.

Had lots of jittering and stuttering and issues with steam running under Oculus which all went away when I upgraded to the 980 earlier in the year. Had no issues since.

Just now, MattyP said:

Indeed had a lot of issues with my 970. It effectively only has 3.5GB of VRAM (because of the infamous Nvidia design decisions regarding the last 512mb of VRAM access speed).

Seems like 6GB is the sweet spot for VR or at least 4GB of full speed VRAM.

Had lots of jittering and stuttering and issues with steam running under Oculus which all went away when I upgraded to the 980 earlier in the year. Had no issues since.

Drivers could also be a factor. A previous version of the AMD drivers knackered Quest VR.

43 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

First time I've heard of wi-fi having better performance than wired, but I'll give it a go. Only other option is to try a refund and get the Origin version.

That does seem odd. Wireless is usually the worst connection option :) Whacky world of Oculus though so anything is possible :D

12 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Drivers could also be a factor. A previous version of the AMD drivers knackered Quest VR.

True... Every time I upgraded the drivers on the 970 though it made everything worse :D That was before I then upgraded the Oculus software which again made things seemingly worse. This is why in the end admitted defeat and ditched the 970 which lets face it is a capable card for most things but quite ancient these days. Especially for demanding things like VR. Why I decided to take the £50 hit and get a 980ti that was offered to me. 

Turns out this was the best £50 I spent! I'm really surprised at the performance of the 980 to be honest and it will be more than adequate as a stop gap for the next year until the current PC market settles down a bit.... 

I honestly haven’t had an issue with wifi connection I find it’s best for playing steam native game such as half life alyx etc and in fact performance is better than it was on the cv1 and rift s (though again it maybe due to steam not having to worry about oculus softwares running as well when you connect via Wi-Fi)  

for native oculus games ran via oculus home  I find the link cable better so it’s happy medium (as with Wi-Fi you need to use steam and revive to play native oculus games so more load on the pc ) 

18 hours ago, milko said:

The issues? 

Hurray!

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh. :(

4 hours ago, papalazarou said:

I honestly haven’t had an issue with wifi connection I find it’s best for playing steam native game such as half life alyx etc and in fact performance is better than it was on the cv1 and rift s (though again it maybe due to steam not having to worry about oculus softwares running as well when you connect via Wi-Fi)  

for native oculus games ran via oculus home  I find the link cable better so it’s happy medium (as with Wi-Fi you need to use steam and revive to play native oculus games so more load on the pc ) 

Some Oculus games run without Revive over Virtual Desktop, don't they? I can certainly run some, and have never touched Revive.

I guess I can try Revive for the ones that don't though. :D

On 06/10/2020 at 15:57, Dudley said:

I've been mentioning Rez Infinite every 2nd post for 3 years, how did you not know that?

Some issues with the controller, when the first boss came along and moved to the side of the screen my curser followed him without me moving my arm which led to some pretty weird angles to shoot the targets. Did you have this also?

I have an Valve Index (headset only) on back order with Valve but looking at reviews of the HP Reverb G2 the screen looks amazingly bright and vivid with less screen door effect.  Been reading reviews about the disappointing god rays that occur in the Valve Index which is putting me off.  So I've put a 'notify me' request on the HP website when the G2 is in stock as its probably going to be a clusterfuck trying to get hold of one much like the Nvidia 3000 series launch.