rllmuk
simms

PC VR - Hardware & Software discussion

Thinking about picking up Creed: Rise to Glory in the Steam sale.  Any good?  There's some good deals on some Vr games at the mo.

Looks like the Half Life Alyx is down to £35!

Might be ordering that sometime soon! :)

Oh and Battlezone Gold is currently £7.50 too!!!

Also an additional £5 off too... Just had a feck it moment and bought both for just over £37! 

5 hours ago, simms said:

Thinking about picking up Creed: Rise to Glory in the Steam sale.  Any good?  There's some good deals on some Vr games at the mo.

I like it - feels more Arcady than a full on box sim (to me any way) but a lot of fun  

I've been playing Budget Cuts over the last couple of days.  Such a wonderful VR game. 

I've bought my other half an Oculus Quest for his birthday in a couple of weeks. Any ideas for what cheaper link cable I can get for it? The Oculus Link is stupidly expensive. 

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I've bought my other half an Oculus Quest for his birthday in a couple of weeks. Any ideas for what cheaper link cable I can get for it? The Oculus Link is stupidly expensive. 

It now works with USB 2 which means the cable it came with now works fine.

• Upvote 1

Actually yeah, try the one it comes with first. It's not USB3 so it might not be quite as high quality? I need to compare now.

Try Virtual Desktop first (via sideload). If that works well you won't need or want a cable. 

7 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

Try Virtual Desktop first (via sideload). If that works well you won't need or want a cable. 

This depends on the game you want to play though. Some games flat out don't work over VD, and some have issues. Loads work really well though.

it takes like 24-48 hours to get the cable from Amazon, might as well see what works first and then get it if you want it. VD is £15 though so a bit more to pay than the cable, I suppose.

I'd say it's worth setting up VD even if you're definitely getting a cable, as it makes such a big difference being able to play what you can without cables. I'm just saying you'll still need the cable for some games.

14 minutes ago, Mogster said:

This depends on the game you want to play though. Some games flat out don't work over VD, and some have issues. Loads work really well though.

I haven't had a game not work over VD. It's worked flawlessly for me for games from the relatively simple, like Minecraft and throwaway titles, up to more demanding stuff like VTOL VR, Asgard's Wrath and Alyx. I can't think of a time it's not worked with anything. Maybe it's more router dependent.

Which games in particular are you talking about?

There's a Google Doc which keeps track of what works, although it's not always up to date. Alyx does indeed work perfectly:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sfwl2JNVlMykIzMc4We1KiUzAi4VLn3fajwfybc9osk/edit

From personal experience, Rez Infinite's Oculus version wouldn't run at all, Hellblade's VR mode just displays the desktop mirror, stuff like that. The games that work work perfectly though.

Budget Cuts is just over £5 in the sale - worth it?

Those with a Rift S, do you get steam on the lenses? Im still struggling to get over the queasy feeling with this, which inevtiably also means getting warm, and then the fog happens! Wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

27 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Budget Cuts is just over £5 in the sale - worth it?

I think so.  If you're not a stealth gameplay fan then you're fun may vary and I find it's quite a physical game as you may have to duck behind desks, peak through holes & corners and crouch for low ceilings. You can get a refund if you don't like it sale stuff right?

57 minutes ago, Mogster said:

There's a Google Doc which keeps track of what works, although it's not always up to date. Alyx does indeed work perfectly:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sfwl2JNVlMykIzMc4We1KiUzAi4VLn3fajwfybc9osk/edit

From personal experience, Rez Infinite's Oculus version wouldn't run at all, Hellblade's VR mode just displays the desktop mirror, stuff like that. The games that work work perfectly though.

There are a few there that don't chime with my experiences. It's so variable in terms of your personal setup I'm not sure that spreadsheet's a huge amount of use tbh. 

12 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

There are a few there that don't chime with my experiences. It's so variable in terms of your personal setup I'm not sure that spreadsheet's a huge amount of use tbh. 

A lot of the entries are out of date, but the point is that not everything works. VD is fantastic, but you still need a cable for the stuff it doesn't like.

Personally I've had no issues with lag or image quality. The only issues I've had is where games don't launch at all, or don't launch in VR.

thought id stick this in here (put this on the oculus rift thread a couple of months ago) but if you have GTAV on pc then down load GTA 5 Real mod.  Its does what MotherVR did for alien isolation - and make GTA V completly playable in VR.  And its stunning - the amount of miniscule detail that rockstar have put into the map is asstounding even more so in VR where you can see so much more of the detail close up. things that you just dont notice or take for granted when playing the 2d version. ive spent hours just walking about los santos admiring the buildings and all the crazy people who live there - grab the mod here with straight forward instructions on how to get it up and running very quickly  https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod

• Upvote 4

I had a look at that, but from what I saw there's no way to separate the weapons from your view, so you have to aim with your head. Which also means if you're pushing forward on the stick and then look, say left for example, you'll start moving in that direction. That's sick city for me.

The mod is a nice curio, but I can't imagine playing the whole game like that. 

Driving around in GTA5 is fun though.  Best on chase cam rather than dashboard view though.

16 hours ago, papalazarou said:

thought id stick this in here (put this on the oculus rift thread a couple of months ago) but if you have GTAV on pc then down load GTA 5 Real mod.  Its does what MotherVR did for alien isolation - and make GTA V completly playable in VR.  And its stunning - the amount of miniscule detail that rockstar have put into the map is asstounding even more so in VR where you can see so much more of the detail close up. things that you just dont notice or take for granted when playing the 2d version. ive spent hours just walking about los santos admiring the buildings and all the crazy people who live there - grab the mod here with straight forward instructions on how to get it up and running very quickly  https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod

Thanks for this.  Something to try at the weekend.  What other VR mods are there for pancake games? List time..

I still haven't plucked up the courage to try Alien Isolation.  I'm working up to it by playing Budget Cuts.  To be fair the robots are terrifying.

2 hours ago, simms said:

Thanks for this.  Something to try at the weekend.  What other VR mods are there for pancake games? List time..

couple i can remeber:

wolfenstien -  https://further-beyond.itch.io/wolf3dvr

return to castle wolfenstien -  https://github.com/FunJumpr/CastleWolfensteinVR/releases/tag/v0.2.3

Star Wars Jedi Outcast -  https://jochen.subliminal.at/2017/08/06/jedi-knight-ii-jedi-outcast-vr/

Also GTFO VR 

and of course Alien Isolation's "Mother VR" mod:

also add doom 3 vr mod which is far superior to the actual doom vr that was officially released

https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

Update**   DOOM 3 BFG is currently on sale for £4.50 on steam (comes with doom 1 and 2 as well)   also grab the HD texture mod to really spruce up the game and then you all set for the best DOOM VR game  there is 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-hi-def

• Upvote 2

Gang. I have a Rift S and would like to record some Half Life Alyx gameplay footage (along with the audio from my mic). What's the best way for me to do it? I tried using the GeForce Experience software, but I can't get it to record only the game window. It seems like it can only record the entire desktop and the HLA headset output can't be maximised to fill the screen. 

There may be a way to force GeForce Experience shadowplay (or whatever it's called now) to identify the window, but failing that you might have better success with OBS. It's free, accepts multiple audio sources, and you can either point it to a specific window or literally draw out the area of the screen you want it to look at, so it should do the job.

One downside: unlike the GeForce solution, it isn't a built-in function of your graphics card, and therefore has some CPU overheads. Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem, but depending how hard your machine is working to play Alyx it may not enjoy the extra workload.

• Upvote 1