rllmuk

PC VR - Hardware & Software discussion

1 minute ago, Wiper said:

There may be a way to force GeForce Experience shadowplay (or whatever it's called now) to identify the window, but failing that you might have better success with OBS. It's free, accepts multiple audio sources, and you can either point it to a specific window or literally draw out the area of the screen you want it to look at, so it should do the job.

One downside: unlike the GeForce solution, it isn't a built-in function of your graphics card, and therefore has some CPU overheads. Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem, but depending how hard your machine is working to play Alyx it may not enjoy the extra workload.

OBS can use the exact same NVENC hardware encoder as  Shadowplay, so it will still be your GPU doing most of the work. Obviously OBS itself will use a small amount of CPU though.

• Upvote 2

So I got my Valve Index yesterday and have been testing it out today. TBH I've been a little underwhelmed by it so far. Here's a few early impressions:

• Great build quality, apart from the right controller thumbstick click is a little faint compared to the left one.
  • Steam VR setup is clunky compared to the Oculus process. With my Rift S/Quest I can be up and running in seconds, and all done from the headset. Steam requires you to switch between PC and Index, which is a pain when your PC is upstairs and the Index is in the lounge below! I also misunderstood the roomscale part where I thought you had to point at the room boundaries like you do with the Oculus, but you actually have to physically walk the controller around the boundaries. My mistake, I did that late last night and sorted it today.
  • The speakers are incredible, best VR speakers I've ever used. So much volume and bass and they sit away from your ears, meaning you stay cool.
  • Comfort is much better than the Quest, thanks to the balance and lower weight.
  • FOV increase is not as big a deal as I thought it would be. With the lenses as close as they can get, you see the edges of the LCD panels.
  • The resolution upgrade and reduced SDE over the Quest is good, but the lenses seem to have a smaller sweet spot and a slight glare, which takes away from the good points. 
  • Lighthouses make an awful whining noise which I'm hating already. They have a sleep setting when you're not in Steam VR but it doesn't work. Thankfully I have smart plugs!
  • Knuckles controllers are OK but apart from the novelty of flipping the bird a few times, I don't feel they add any extra functionality over the Oculus controllers. I actually find them confusing sometimes, as occasionally I'll need to press the trigger button to grab stuff, other times I don't. Plus they are too big when using a double pistol grip in shooters.

Overall I don't think it's worth the extra over a Quest. The visuals aren't as good on the Quest, but playing PC games wirelessly over Virtual Desktop makes a big difference.

• Upvote 1

I've just ordered a Rift S from Very, can't wait for it. I've only had a couple of quick goes on any VR, so it's pretty much like getting a new console. I've managed to get Creed, Superhot and Batman for about 18 quid all in, I'll be adding Trover, Moss and Beat Saber before too long as well.

I've seen that Google Earth has a VR thingy for free, so I'll be grabbing. Are there any other free games or apps I should look at?

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

. Are there any other free games or apps I should look at?

a couple to grab which are all free

AirCar - blade runner spinner simulator - not much to it but still cool 

Rec Room  (Various multiplayer games) 

War Thunder (via steam vr) 

ISS space station (on oculus)  is really cool lets you explore the inside and outside of the ISS

Echo Arena

Jurassic world - blue (vr type movie) 

Battle of Endor (need to google it but free xwing vr game) 

archangel hellfire (mech multiplayer game)

Dear Angelica (beautiful animated VR movie)

If you already own these games then there are free VR mods:

Alien Isolation (mothervr mod)

Doom 3

GTA V

• Upvote 1

The other thing is finding out how many Steam games you already had with unexpected VR modes, eg Subnautica was one I hadn’t expected. 

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I've managed to get Creed, Superhot and Batman for about 18 quid all in, I'll be adding Trover, Moss and Beat Saber before too long as well.

Start with that. Not just from a VR legs point of view, but because it will blow you the fuck away. :)

On 15/07/2020 at 23:47, r1skbreak3r said:

So I got my Valve Index yesterday and have been testing it out today. TBH I've been a little underwhelmed by it so far. Here's a few early impressions:

• Great build quality, apart from the right controller thumbstick click is a little faint compared to the left one.
  • Steam VR setup is clunky compared to the Oculus process. With my Rift S/Quest I can be up and running in seconds, and all done from the headset. Steam requires you to switch between PC and Index, which is a pain when your PC is upstairs and the Index is in the lounge below! I also misunderstood the roomscale part where I thought you had to point at the room boundaries like you do with the Oculus, but you actually have to physically walk the controller around the boundaries. My mistake, I did that late last night and sorted it today.
  • The speakers are incredible, best VR speakers I've ever used. So much volume and bass and they sit away from your ears, meaning you stay cool.
  • Comfort is much better than the Quest, thanks to the balance and lower weight.
  • FOV increase is not as big a deal as I thought it would be. With the lenses as close as they can get, you see the edges of the LCD panels.
  • The resolution upgrade and reduced SDE over the Quest is good, but the lenses seem to have a smaller sweet spot and a slight glare, which takes away from the good points. 
  • Lighthouses make an awful whining noise which I'm hating already. They have a sleep setting when you're not in Steam VR but it doesn't work. Thankfully I have smart plugs!
  • Knuckles controllers are OK but apart from the novelty of flipping the bird a few times, I don't feel they add any extra functionality over the Oculus controllers. I actually find them confusing sometimes, as occasionally I'll need to press the trigger button to grab stuff, other times I don't. Plus they are too big when using a double pistol grip in shooters.

Overall I don't think it's worth the extra over a Quest. The visuals aren't as good on the Quest, but playing PC games wirelessly over Virtual Desktop makes a big difference.

Thanks for the impressions I enjoyed reading.  Not sure if you have the lighthouse 2.0 version but I'd hope they reduced the whine.  I have the lighthouse 1.0  and I have to turn them off if I'm not VR'ing.  I'm waiting a one of the manufacturers to provide a proper PC wireless headset before I buy a new one.  Wireless trumps every other feature for me.  

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, milko said:

The other thing is finding out how many Steam games you already had with unexpected VR modes, eg Subnautica was one I hadn’t expected. 

I think there are quite a few other games with a hidden VR mode added.  I'll try and find out later.

14 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Google earth vr is amazing and is my chill out go to experience :-) 

I've lost track as to which one the Rift S is and it's not free but if you can get it, theBlu is a lovely chillout thing.

• Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I've lost track as to which one the Rift S is and it's not free but if you can get it, theBlu is a lovely chillout thing.

That looks amazing, perfect for showing it off to people as well. Thanks!

another VR game which doesnt get enough praise is Iron Wolf - basically its Silent Hunter in VR  - really well done and has induced some panic moments in me when my sub has been sank - water pouring in and as you start to drown and you slowly fade away.   It also has multiplayer so you can get mates to also man the sub in VR or  a mate can use same  teh pc desktop while playing and manage some of the controls - but def worth a go 

(this is an old trailer - the game has been polished a lot more since then and more fuctions added) 

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

That looks amazing, perfect for showing it off to people as well. Thanks!

Yeah I showed a friend for whom the Valve VR tutorial was a bit too "immediate" as a first thing and she just spent 10 minutes sat on the ground with her mouth open during the turtles sequence.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah I showed a friend for whom the Valve VR tutorial was a bit too "immediate" as a first thing and she just spent 10 minutes sat on the ground with her mouth open during the turtles sequence.

i find the whale one a great one to show peeps as the tail coming down always gets them :)

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah, I tried that on her second because of her nerves with the first one.

She accidentally did the classic "Turn round and find yourself face to face with it" mistake.

It was very funny.

• Upvote 1

So my Rift S turned up today, and I've managed to set it up in between work. I've measured my IPD at 68.5, and changed the settings to that - should I be expecting everything to be laser focussed, or is it supposed to be a little bit blurry still? I'm wearing my glasses with it as well, should I be? I'm short sighted, if that makes a difference.

I'm pretty impressed with it though, I had fun playing with the robot and his NES cartridges and his 3D printer.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

@Keiths_Dad There is a sweet spot for the placement of the headset. Make sure to adjust the strap along the top, loosening or tightening to see if that make a difference.

This. I'm very short sighted and I need to get the headset into a sweet spot. Don't neglect making it tighter. It really needs to be snug

On 23/07/2020 at 08:28, Thor said:

Start with that. Not just from a VR legs point of view, but because it will blow you the fuck away. :)

I've just played Batman and...

Spoiler

Noped out of that so fucking hard in Joker's cell. I got as far as the reveal of Batman snapping Nightwing's neck, and that was enough for me. Think I'll watch the end of it on Youtube, as impressive as it is. Genuinely the most terrified I've been by any form of media.

Edit: One more jumpscare, and I'd have finished it. Bollocks. Fuck me though, what a game.

• Upvote 2