Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX

Revival

I got the Signature Edition of SoR4 and it is really really lovely. That one was cheaper than the AK one though and came with better extras too. 

If Alex Kidd DX delivers I can always pick it up at a later date. 

New Trailer here

This has definitely been on my watch list but initial reviews of it has been less than kind. The general consensus is that it’s a carbon copy of the original flaws and all so isn’t going to be for those who aren’t big fans of the original. Any opinions here? 

1 hour ago, RipePlums said:

I'm excited for it having played the demo, but I can very much appreciate it's only going to appeal to people who played it originally. It's unchanged essentially.

Stuart Gipp's excellent review for Nintnedolife detailed some very peculiar gameplay changes. Still very much looking forward to it from a nostalgia point of view, but not expecting loads from it.

I was a Master System kid but I find this bewildering.

Alex Kidd is a character designed for very young kids, a knock-off of the incarnation of the Journey to the West (Monkey) characters that was on Japanese kids TV at the time. (Not the one we got in the West, about 10 years later.) I see it existing in the same sort of strata as Battletoads or Commander Keen or the glut of random mascot platformers that came after Sonic, something made quickly and cheaply to appeal to kids and almost immediately forgotten about by its creators as they went on to do more substantial things.

I don't really understand why it needs to be remade and given a lavish Criterion-style physical edition. Other than continental indie studios have figured out that every dormant Japanese IP from the 80s and 90s is up for sale irrespective of actual value beyond nostalgia. (There's been a remake of Toki, ffs.)

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (given an SOR4-style reboot rather than a pointlessly 1:1 remake) would be a different kettle of fish.

1 hour ago, MK-1601 said:

Alex Kidd is a character designed for very young kids, a knock-off of the incarnation of the Journey to the West (Monkey) characters that was on Japanese kids TV at the time. (Not the one we got in the West, about 10 years later.) I see it existing in the same sort of strata as Battletoads or Commander Keen or the glut of random mascot platformers that came after Sonic, something made quickly and cheaply to appeal to kids and almost immediately forgotten about by its creators as they went on to do more substantial things.

I don't really understand why it needs to be remade and given a lavish Criterion-style physical edition. Other than continental indie studios have figured out that every dormant Japanese IP from the 80s and 90s is up for sale irrespective of actual value beyond nostalgia. (There's been a remake of Toki, ffs.)

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (given an SOR4-style reboot rather than a pointlessly 1:1 remake) would be a different kettle of fish.

He was (or at least this game was) originally going to be a Dragonball title, but Sega took too long and lost the rights, at which point they did pivot to Son Goku/Monkey in a light fashion, although nowhere near as closely as other games of the time.

Journey to the West is very well known in Japan generally, and I presume you're referencing the late 70s/early 80s Saiyūki/Monkey Magic series (which got a BBC translation quite quickly so was well known outside Japan -- your chronology is kinda off here if you're talking 10 years later.

As for the why, not every game is for everyone. Alex Kidd is indeed childish in terms of character design, but then much of Sega (and everyone else's) output at the time was similar -- video games were kid's stuff by and large and designed that way. It's certainly not a game for everyone, and I agree that a Shinobi World remake would be a different creature again -- but it'd also be even more obscure, really, because by the time it came out the NES was ascendant in many markets, so your global sales base would be smaller. Whereas Miracle World was established and well known by itself as the Master System II pack-in game.

It's a later one, not the one that the BBC aired starting in the 70s. It looks more like a children's theatrical play, and the Alex resemblence is much more obvious. I only know about this because Shaun Musgrave was talking about it a while back. Google is turning up nothing annoyingly.

There's quite a few of them -- Journey to the West will be remade endlessly -- but I'd argue that the majority of the audience in the mid 80s when Miracle World was first released would have been familiar with the BBC translation -- this is especially true in Australia (where I am) where the national broadcaster had it as a 6pm evening fixture forever. Don't know how often the BBC replayed it, but it was certainly popular enough in its time for the theme to chart in the UK.

And look, you can never hear this too many times in a day.

And that one dates 1978-1980, so well within Miracle World's 1986 release date (in terms of people remembering it, not that the Alex Kidd link is absolutely explicit -- more likely to be grabbed by the primary Japanese audience than anything else). Likewise, can't find any adaptations that date strictly from the 80s or early 90s, so I do think your dating is off there.

Alex kidd was more of a late 80s/early 90s thing in the UK. Master system didn't even come out until 87 and my memory is that it was about 1990 before Alex Kidd really got popular due to being built into the Master System II, which was a very popular system. 

I was 7 when I got mine and had never even heard of Monkey. 

On 23/06/2021 at 22:47, MK-1601 said:

As this was bundled with the Master System it is an entire generation, me included, first ever experience of gaming. Sure I went on swiftly to Sonic etc. But Alex Kidd will forever be fondly remembered by me as the game that got me into gaming. My whole family used to sit round taking it in turns every time someone lost a life and quickly scribbling down the order of every rock, paper, scissors. 

Sure to some this was just another game, maybe not even a great game, but for me and a lot of people born a similar time to me this is where it all began.

For better or worse this is pretty much exactly the same as the original Alex Kidd. There is actually a couple of small tweaks here and there to make it marginally easier and I think the new levels fit in pretty nicely.

On 21/06/2021 at 15:43, iloverage said:

I'm really not expecting anything special with this release, other than that I'll be playing it this week with a massive smile on my face.

I take this back.

Not to derail the thread further, but just to point out that the original Alex Kidd wasn't designed with international marketability in mind, at all. When I said it was riffing on a Japanese kids' TV show, I mean one that was on Japanese kids' TV when it was being made. Monkey was years earlier and it's unlikely the devs knew or cared it had been picked up for US/UK/Australian markets. It's a different Journey to the West show. I'm now going to listen to Japan Channel 1980s streaming radio on YouTube until the soundtrack album cover comes up again and I can prove I'm not going mental.

Question for people who played the original...

Did the game have infinite continues?

Did the game have checkpoints when you died mid-level?

Are what’s in the ? Blocks random?

I never really played the original so don’t know much about it but was interested to know how this compared.

While I am quite enjoying playing it, notorious difficulty due to a fast moving character vs 1 block platforms isn’t a great combo TBH. Saying that I have found ways around some of the tricky platforming by thinking outside the box a bit, which is cool. Some of them are required though!

15 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Question for people who played the original...

Did the game have checkpoints when you died mid-level?

Are what’s in the ? Blocks random?

No, but there was a cheat for extra continues.

Yes it did.

It’s not random, it follows a pattern of ring then ghost, then extra life, in each level.

38 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Give over, soft lad! Did it heck. 

I was never able to finish it. It was really, really hard, as I recall. 

39 minutes ago, jcafarley said:

It’s not random, it follows a pattern of ring then ghost, then extra life, in each level.

Never knew that. Do you have to open the box for it to count, or will it just cycle regardless?

Bring chased by the ghost does lead to some funny deaths mind

On 24/06/2021 at 10:06, loathsomeleopard said:

There's quite a few of them -- Journey to the West will be remade endlessly -- but I'd argue that the majority of the audience in the mid 80s when Miracle World was first released would have been familiar with the BBC translation -- this is especially true in Australia (where I am) where the national broadcaster had it as a 6pm evening fixture forever. Don't know how often the BBC replayed it, but it was certainly popular enough in its time for the theme to chart in the UK.

And look, you can never hear this too many times in a day.

ot and I'm not sure if this is true for other territories but this is on Netflix now in Australia! I showed the start of this to my partner who didn't grow up here and her response was "what is this?"

26 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Never knew that. Do you have to open the box for it to count, or will it just cycle regardless?

Bring chased by the ghost does lead to some funny deaths mind

You have to open the box.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Give over, soft lad! Did it heck. 

I was never able to finish it. It was really, really hard, as I recall. 

LOL! Hey! Some games can still be tough even with infinite continues when you only have like 3 lives to finish the level.  I kinda suspected this wasn’t the case for this game though as I’m up to the castle where you reuse your brother after about an hour.

Anyone know if the Japanese version was different? I know in the early days the JPN versions were easier due to things like infinite continues, which would get taken out for Western releases.

I’m always up for the challenge so I’ll bare the no continues in mind but like I say, fast character vs 1 block platforms is a recipe for frustration